New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #859 - The Discussion Thread

Blade Barrier would be good. A higher level summon monster could also be useful.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    Now, my question is if it was only a cloud, why couldn't Zzi'Drtt see?
    Z can see in darkness. Haley's arrow had a smokestick, which produces an actual obstruction to vision rather than merely a lack of light.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is the absolute low point of Nale's career thus far. Right in front of Father.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    Now, my question is if it was only a cloud, why couldn't Zzi'Drtt see?
    A smokestick has an effect treated as a Fog Cloud, which states that it "obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet" (true of most similar spells).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    I meant how did he just appear there.

They didn't hear him because he literally came through the wall rather than trying to sneak past, probably using Meld Into Stone.
    Even so, he would still make noise. Yeah, he didn't have to walk all that way so they wouldn't have as long to hear him, but still - armor's loud and how don't you hear the armor? Remember this strip? Those goblins heard him all the way away.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Holy ***! Nice holy word
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

New comic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Here's the link as a public service:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm
    Nice, thanks. I know Final Fantasy, so I thought it just did a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolthux View Post
    Brilliant.
    Radiant. Sparkling. Effulgent!

... I'll think that's enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    I like the Evil Overlord option. So do you think he read the list?
    Tarquin? He probably wrote it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    In the end, it doesn't matter who's right. Only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Assuming the Thor of the Stickverse has access to similar domains as the D&D published ones, Durkon might have used this as his domain slot, granting him a nice +1 CL to all good type spells as per the granted power of the good domain.

Might explain why Tarquin is affected and the overall effect seems greater.

EDIT: Just checked the Class and Level thread and its pretty much gospel that Durkon has the Good domain as he casts Holy Smite, for which the good domain is a requirement.
    Last edited by Tyrmatt; 2012-07-26 at 09:55 AM.
    We's got the might of Gork AND Mork!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Enlist with the Dust Rats today!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    What tactical value does that have ...?
    It's awesome in this situation. Without listening in the thick smoke, everyone deaf is basically blind as well as deaf and won't even know what's going on if the screaming starts. Needless to say that they cannot give or receive and orders.
    A -4 to Initiative is nice, but probably makes no big difference beyond the first combat round (but it still makes one).
    On top of that, Nale and Zz'dtri have a 20% failure chance on their spells.

The tactic is sound and depending what comes next the Order might have a good headstart.

On top of that, the Holy Word instantly took out Sabine.

Given the Order did not know Nale recruited two more high level characters but had to assume a few of the new recruits were goons that are even more affected by the spell, the choice was very sound.

I also guess next is Malak who'll stone-shape around his metal barrier.

A quite kickass followup by Durkon would be Holy Smite. Or the Blade Barrier mentioned above.
    Last edited by Winter; 2012-07-26 at 09:51 AM.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

This is why Durkon is awesome. Lame that Tarquin the D-bag is just laughing off the last strip and seemingly resisting Holy Word, though I figured the latter would happen. ib4 another Tarquin debate

Shojld be interesting seeing what Malack does (Qarr would be able to teleport out of harm's way). Speaking of which, it's a mistake, but Qarr's speech balloon looks pretty cool without outlines.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thanks for the fast update Giant.

I like how Malack and Qarr are still cut off. Wonder what's going to go on behind that trap...
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Even so, he would still make noise. Yeah, he didn't have to walk all that way so they wouldn't have as long to hear him, but still - armor's loud and how don't you hear the armor? Remember this strip? Those goblins heard him all the way away.
    He probably just cast the spell on the same round as he popped out of the wall, since it just takes a standard action. Even if they could hear the armor, they don't get to interrupt his round of actions till after he's finished.
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Uhm, but Tarquin doesn't seem to be affected to me. He doesn't even let the axe. It seems he is simply taking the wave of "holyness" but without drawbacks.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

That was the most completely satisfying update I've seen in years

15. - Top - End - #45
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

They were all highly distracted and he barely had to move at all, just a few feet. At most it was a single 5' step, possibly not even that with the spell moving for him, and he was trying to be quiet while everyone who might have heard him was distracted, unable to see, and probably expecting any noise from anything but traps to be either far away or from each other, and they only had a fraction of a round to hear him.

In the strip you linked, he was walking at full speed, probably not actually working at being quiet, and the goblins who heard him were alert, undistracted, and able to use their full senses, he was where they might have expected such sounds to come from, and they probably had several minutes to notice it.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2012-07-26 at 09:58 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    Thanks for the fast update Giant.

I like how Malack and Qarr are still cut off. Wonder what's going to go on behind that trap...
    Given that they are the two LG members most likely to try to work things out with discussion, I imagine they are currently getting the snot pummeled out of them.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    If Tarquin is actually affected by the Word, instead of just annoyed, it will be proof that he is in fact no higher level than Durkon.
    If Durkon has managed to find a Bead of Karma (from a Strand of Prayer Beads), then even Tarquin might actually be affected by the Holy Word.
    Last edited by Toxic Avenger; 2012-07-26 at 09:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Lucky Qarr. On the other hand: Holy Word explicitly takes Outsiders to their home plane regardless of if they can hear the spell or not. So does Rich rule that this spread manages to get through the iron door and catches Qarr as well?
    It's possible that he's beyond the 40' radius of the spell. It kind of looks like the Guild kept moving forward even through the cloud, so he and Malack may have dropped back a good bit.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

This was a spectacular comic. The effect of showing each member of the linear guild in increasing pain as holy word effect blows outward was really cool.

I love basic adventuring gear. That one smokestick did so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaicwonder View Post
    Durkon Holy Word on a tee shirt! PLEASE?
    I would buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    This is the absolute low point of Nale's career thus far. Right in front of Father.
    This is close, but I don't think it's the absolute low point. That honor probably remains with having to do 40 interviews for new mages, including the one who Must Not Be Toilet-Trained.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    A smokestick has an effect treated as a Fog Cloud, which states that it "obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet" (true of most similar spells).
    Thanks for the insight, Admiral. I know there so few things that block darkvision that it didn't make much sense to me.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

The last strip finally answered the question of "what is equivalent of Flashbang grenade in D&D?"
    How many of you have tried or planned to use "Holy Word" and go in for a kill on stunned opponents (and probable survivor since Durkon is above level 10)?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome strip! Thanks, Giant!

I knew I was right that the Order had a good ambush plan in place, and not just "attack your evil opposite one on one."
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

23. - Top - End - #53

Thanks Giant!

Could Sabine have the Native subtype since she and Nale are so attached?

And while we're at it, how about Celia?
    Last edited by JSSheridan; 2012-07-26 at 10:19 AM.
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Truly epic.

And I love the effect in the last panel. You really get the sense of pain on a (for lack of a better word) spiritual level.

Also, is Tarquin effected? I can't tell 'cos Kilkil is in the way of his... er... "light echoes". He just seems to be bracing against it. Or is that enough to show impact?
    Check out my Order of the Stick tribute art at:

http://afreon.deviantart.com/

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Magnificent.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Spamalot in the Playground

@ stealth argument - how do we know he wasn't standing there the whole time? Meld Into Stone doesn't offer any kind of spot check or other way of determining what the caster truly is. It also isn't illusory so T's True Seeing wouldn't work. D is literally inside the wall, and he can explicitly hear the LG clomping around outside his hidey-hole like a herd of elephants.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, is Tarquin effected?
    He's on his knee atm.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrmatt View Post
    Assuming the Thor of the Stickverse has access to similar domains as the D&D published ones, Durkon might have used this as his domain slot, granting him a nice +1 CL to all good type spells as per the granted power of the good domain.

Might explain why Tarquin is affected and the overall effect seems greater.

EDIT: Just checked the Class and Level thread and its pretty much gospel that Durkon has the Good domain as he casts Holy Smite, for which the good domain is a requirement.
    Ah, with that information, this spell goes from a tactically sound but not unsurpassed option to a brilliant choice. Since the Linear Guild is likely roughly on par with the OotS on levels, the spell would normally just deafen them (and banish Sabine), but that boost likely pushes them into the Caster Level -1 category, meaning they're also blinded. Complete devastation for them.

How much noise does armor make when it's traveling THROUGH a wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Lucky Qarr. On the other hand: Holy Word explicitly takes Outsiders to their home plane regardless of if they can hear the spell or not. So does Rich rule that this spread manages to get through the iron door and catches Qarr as well?
    The wall would block line of effect, so they're not in the area of the spell, regardless of how close they are to Durkon.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

OWNED. A solid plan got pulled off there. Malack and the Imp are out of the fight for the moment. Now did the Order set it up so Malack would not be caught with the rest of the Guild or was it just (good) luck? If the rest of the Guild is taken down, will Malack really care all that much?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm

Creatures whose HD exceed your caster level are unaffected by holy word.
    Malack, Tarquin and possibly others would just ignore it instead of being taken aback.

Furthermore, if you are on your home plane when you cast this spell, nongood extraplanar creatures within the area are instantly banished back to their home planes. Creatures so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the holy word. The banishment effect allows a Will save (at a -4 penalty) to negate.
    Sabine would be banished if she failed her save.