New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

So no way to stop Osirii from activating. This is the point where the battleplate shows up to set up a TAD so they can't just cut and run.

Last time something like this happened the Tunguska got to experience the wrath of the Paanurri first hand. I wonder what Howard's got in mind so this doesn't feel like a repeat.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    So no way to stop Osirii from activating. This is the point where the battleplate shows up to set up a TAD so they can't just cut and run.

Last time something like this happened the Tunguska got to experience the wrath of the Paanurri first hand. I wonder what Howard's got in mind so this doesn't feel like a repeat.
    Oisri itself screws with Teraports, remember? What Tagon & co. need to do is to counteract the stopgap TAD so that Ennesby can 'port them out unmolested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I wonder if the Human government has any redeeming features. Because, so far, I can't think of one.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    You know, I wonder if the Human government has any redeeming features. Because, so far, I can't think of one.
    I don't believe any have been shown "on-screen." However, I suspect this is a bit of confirmation bias, or that one fallacy where we only get to see one image of the UNS. However, the fact that so many different facets (Xinchub, that one UNS official in Resident Mad Scientist who got immediately spaced by Petey, Xinchub, Xinchub again, DeHaans & co., Haluska, the "Blonde Harridan" whose name escapes me) reflect the same image does make my claim a little suspect. Of course, having Para say that, to her department, the Toughs are "not the enemy" does imply that there are (if not more moral) more sympathetic divisions of the UNS. But that's one line, from an exposed spy, whose priority number one will be to make herself and her employer very sympathetic in the Toughs' eyes, which means salt shaker HO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Healing fast...so she's definitely got the nannies, then, even if they don't appear to have "turned" her yet.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Who's suspecting option 1? She's nanny boosted up the wazoo till she hears stray vibrations.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Who's suspecting option 1? She's nanny boosted up the wazoo till she hears stray vibrations.
    A possibility, but consider that the gavmogre that found her claimed to have normal hearing. Which I suppose doesn't rule out the possibility that his hearing boosts were parts that weren't properly loaded.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2012-11-21 at 10:01 AM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Weren't they talking to her earlier? The toughs are notoriously bad at using their accessories. They simply never learned how to turn off their loud speakers.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Weren't they talking to her earlier? The toughs are notoriously bad at using their accessories. They simply never learned how to turn off their loud speakers.
    No, they wanted to hear her reaction. They don't want her turning in to a killing machine on their watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

What is she anyway? A counterplant by the internal intelligence dudes against the military gals?

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    What is she anyway? A counterplant by the internal intelligence dudes against the military gals?
    If I had to guess, simply a case of the nanites partly malfunctionning

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we sure she really is a gav? She might be working for the same side as Para.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Are we sure she really is a gav? She might be working for the same side as Para.
    Well, she might be someone whose brain was rewritten to think they were a Gav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Well, she might be someone whose brain was rewritten to think they were a Gav.
    My guess is that some side captured the real Danita and put their own agent there. Maybe Petey did it, he has access to this kind of technology.

15. - Top - End - #345

BlackDragon

Whoever did that can't be Petey, because Petey is competent. I mean, seriously--you put an agent in there who lets herself get captured by the first Gavmogre who comes along? Does not compute.

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Whoever did that can't be Petey, because Petey is competent. I mean, seriously--you put an agent in there who lets herself get captured by the first Gavmogre who comes along? Does not compute.
    However, Petey himself isn't omnipotent either. He maybe had not way of knowing what was going to happen, and this is merely an emergency backup plan.

Kind of seeding a multitude of small backdoor agents without any firm ideas of what their ultimate purpose will be, but they can be used as resource when the chips are down.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    She is still alive long after hostilities started. Petey knew who would be providing the muscle, he just needed observers.

We don't know that many players. Either Petey or Breya should be involved in this.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Solid-state biological digestive byproduct, meet electric rotary air displacement unit. Electric rotary air displacement unit, prepare to meet solid-state biological digestive byproduct.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Boy, it's a good thing the author decided not to stick us with a pants-wettingly terrifying storyline in honor of halloween. That would have been scary.

Except oh no wait, this just means he can give us scary things ALL THE WAY THROUGH TO THANKSGIVING.
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. This seems a bad idea: those involved should know that Tagi was locked out of the system, quite possible with the processor power. And that this could result in an insane AI or worse. So why they then mess with stuff that could let this thing loose?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. This seems a bad idea: those involved should know that Tagi was locked out of the system, quite possible with the processor power. And that this could result in an insane AI or worse. So why they then mess with stuff that could let this thing loose?
    Because there's a severe information disconnect going on between Kevyn and Para, who would realize what is about to happen, and Ennesby and Thurl, who respectively are busy trying to control the ship with insufficient processing power and who doesn't actually know that much about robotics and computers (and who probably would not believe anything that was identified as information coming from Para right now anyway.)

(Ennesby would probably be aware of what a Bad Idea he's looking at in that 'locked door' if he was fully informed, but I don't think he was actually briefed on the specifics of what happened. He was just told "we had to take Tagii out of the control loop, ship's yours, good luck.")

22. - Top - End - #352

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Because there's a severe information disconnect going on between Kevyn and Para, who would realize what is about to happen
    Para already does realise--she said quite a few strips ago that Tagii was either insane or dead (it was when Ennesby said he could find the systems, but not the processing power to run them). I have no idea why Kevyn didn't immediately follow up and ask he what she was talking about at the time...

23. - Top - End - #353

You know, there are few things that genuinely scare me in this webcomic.

But thinking that Tagi has been locked in there for an eternity, becoming one crazy superhorror... I don't know, I find it scary as hell.

Makes you wonder about the whole "sealed evil in a can", what if the creatures weren't evil when they were locked in there?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, even if they knew the danger they'd probably still have to open it because they're screwed now anyway, no?

25. - Top - End - #355

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Ah, even if they knew the danger they'd probably still have to open it because they're screwed now anyway, no?
    Not immediately, no. There's no attack currently coming in and they've all decided to evacuate anyway, so as long as they have enough control to port out (and they don't have to port very far--a dozen light-years would probably be far enough to avoid the problem) they can spend as much time as they like clearing Tagii out of the processing systems before letting Ennesby open the door.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

This reminds me of a scene in the game The White Chamber. There's a computer you have to put a code in at one part in the game. If you enter it before you're given the code however, a zombified face shows up on screen and the words "Not Yet" appear.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Tagii . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like the doctor is compromised...
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Huh? The Doctor hasn't been in the strips for some time. If you're referring to the disarming that occurred, that was Elf, not the doctor.
    Satomi by Elagune

30. - Top - End - #360
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh? The Doctor hasn't been in the strips for some time.
    Dr. Bunnigus was ordered to retreat just 3 days ago.
    So, Elf should get first aid shortly...
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!