New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I actually really like that one. plus, it's less of an obscure reference and a more open-ended pun.
    One could even say it was a pun pun
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    One could even say it was a pun pun
    And I just realized the second pun about puns

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

What we need is a rehabilitation and redemption arc. I can see it now:

Schlock Mercenary IV: Chrome and Punishment
    I'd still prefer The Schlock Hits The Fan (since it's mine), but this would be my second pick. Picking a title based on the current story arc isn't a good idea, since it looks like it's almost over.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2014-03-02 at 11:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

I like the Chrome and Punishment suggestion.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #1475

With today's comic, Wind of change comes to mind
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

6. - Top - End - #1476

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Orrrrrr he's going to keep the fleet and sell the intel and the fleet's services. This is Tagon, after all.
    You can't sell what you don't own. Well you can, but Petey's not into anyone's piracy but his own. It's T'kkkut's fleet, and she's only offering to lend it to Tagon (for an as yet undisclosed price).

And may I remind you that the Oafan were losing their war against the DaMEs ten million years ago when they went into hiding. Fleetey's already got the FSG in his pocket, and they managed to fight them to a negotiated peace settlement that got them out of the galaxy.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

The fact that they are the ONLY hyperdrive/teraport/annie plant style guys alive now from that period according to what history tells us (the gatekeeper war postdates this and of course the new war does as well...) we might want hints as to the DaME's endgame no matter what...
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

You can't sell what you don't own. Well you can, but Petey's not into anyone's piracy but his own. It's T'kkkut's fleet, and she's only offering to lend it to Tagon (for an as yet undisclosed price).

And may I remind you that the Oafan were losing their war against the DaMEs ten million years ago when they went into hiding. Fleetey's already got the FSG in his pocket, and they managed to fight them to a negotiated peace settlement that got them out of the galaxy.
    Intelligence is intelligence. You never know when two facts, innocuous or seemingly useless by themselves, will have a baby which can change everything.

So yeah, Petey would probably have an interest in Broken Wind.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Barbarian in the Playground

I should have seen that coming, and I did not.

I'm mildly alarmed but not nearly enough as I feel I should be, considering what Tagii did last time it was in control of something.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Troll in the Playground

Called it!
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Question that occurs: what is powering these Oafan warships? Can't be annie plants...is it the same mysterious something that's powering Eina-Afa itself?

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Troll in the Playground

Why can't it be annie plants? If the Oafans were trying to hide, they could shut off the plants in a way that doesn't leave them unable to be turned back on.

Though yes, the real mystery here is what is the station using for power, because hiding from things that can detect annie plants in a station that would need some beefy as hell annie plants wouldn't go over well.

initial thought is that those circlemabobs on the can of sky could be solar panels, but that doesn't really seem like it'd work all that well in a system with a dead star. Unless the star wasn't dead back then.
    :edit: ok, checking back at their arrival in the system, there is in fact a live, if low mass, star to go along with the dead one. So solar power isn't off the table, though it'd have to be some hella efficient panels to get enough juice for that monstrocity.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2014-03-05 at 11:40 AM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe they're using living Oafans as batteries.

14. - Top - End - #1484

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    So solar power isn't off the table, though it'd have to be some hella efficient panels to get enough juice for that monstrocity.
    Why? That "monstrosity" is getting artifical gravity from it's spin, and the ecosystem is providing its own food and air recycling. All the major systems are mothballed, so there's not much need for anything but light. Some fair sized fusion reactors will provide plenty of power - where do you think that "low mass star" is getting it? in a can of sky big enough to comfortably drop Mars into, there's plenty of room for those.

The biggest problem you have is not getting energy, but getting rid of the waste heat, and that's what those circulombobs most likely are for - they're cooling fins.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Troll in the Playground

Are fusion reactors self-sustaining? 10 million years is a long time to be floating around in space, even if it's been in powersave mode.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

16. - Top - End - #1486

Are fusion reactors self-sustaining? 10 million years is a long time to be floating around in space, even if it's been in powersave mode.
    Hmmm... well, let's see... the local one has been in operation for about 8 billion years and still seems to be working OK. Admittedly it's a tad bigger then anything even the Oafans are likely to have built, but hey - that oddly "low mass star" may be their fusion plant. The Gatekeepers used controlled toroidal singularities as a power tap on their stars, whats to say another advanced tech couldn't do something similar to turn a super-Jupiter into an artificial star and tap it directly?

17. - Top - End - #1487

BlackDragon

Though yes, the real mystery here is what is the station using for power, because hiding from things that can detect annie plants in a station that would need some beefy as hell annie plants wouldn't go over well.
    If they have some sort of advanced power generation technology that works without needing annie plants, no reason why they can't use the same in their ships--unless the technology is too bulky to put in something that small, of course.

I disagree with ChowGuy's assessment of the can not needing much power, though; just providing enough light for all the gigantic flora and fauna to flourish would be a major undertaking in a structure that size, and presumably the power requirements have increased considerably since the internal defences and TAD got switched back on. Yes, our local fusion reactor has been burning for billions of years without a problem, but that's because it's absolutely massive--so massive it can lose four million tonnes in weight every second without even noticing. A much smaller reactor couldn't do that.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Troll in the Playground

Man, when you have to tell someone about all the agency he had over the course of your misadventures, you have already started (or finished) mentally reclassifying him as a prop.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

19. - Top - End - #1489

Well, that's one AI that definitely can think on the long term.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Next question; if the can is spinning for gravity, and has fluids sloshing about inside, how much rotational energy does it lose (ultimately as radiated heat) over ten million years?

(Worry later about how much energy was spent spinning it up in the first place.)
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2014-03-06 at 03:22 AM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I wonder how the meeting between T'kkkut and Petey will go?

"Petey, meet T'kkkut, the oldest AI in the galaxy."
    "T'kkkut, meet Petey, the most powerfull AI in the galaxy."

A bit of a mind screw for both of them?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Troll in the Playground

Eeeeh, you'd want to include the 'known' qualifier in both of those statements. The galaxy is a big place, and there's still plenty of it unexplored.
    Swoop Falcon

23. - Top - End - #1493

Turtles Fart jokes all the way down.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Someone had hands again. I wonder if Tagii.. er Chinook will go back to a more human form. And the Toughs have the most INTERESTINGLY named ships.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2014-03-07 at 08:11 AM.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Troll in the Playground

We got some time-skip and I guess, that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oafa got injected with those metallocytes prevelant in the local fauna.

I really want to know more.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #1496

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I really want to know more.
    Spoiler
    Show

As far as I can make out, the original Oafans got a significant chunk of their IQ from metallocytes floating around inside their gasbags, or else part of the aluminium interior of said gasbag. The Prabstdi didn't know this, so when they re-created them they didn't include the metallocytes, thus leaving the Oafans at a childlike level of intelligence. What they've just done is re-introduced the things, increasing Oafan intelligence markedly.

What I still don't understand is how Tagon, of all people, figured that out! It's like there's a logical step we, the readers, are missing.

27. - Top - End - #1497

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    What I still don't understand is how Tagon, of all people, figured that out! It's like there's a logical step we, the readers, are missing.
    Yeah, it's not like Tagon has ever heard of anyone storing memories in their skin before. And it's not Tagon who made the connection to the metallocytes, or to "brains" - it was Ebbirnoth and (of all people) Schlock.

Then again, Schlock probably has more familiarity with distributed brains then anyone else around.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-03-08 at 01:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1498

Are you sure? It seems just as likely that Ebby reported his team's findings to Kevyn, who immediately realized that the metallocytes and the swarm-sophont might be related, and went about investigating the theory that the ancient Oafa had them as well. Kevyn has always been good at having that sort of epiphany, after all.

29. - Top - End - #1499

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    Are you sure? It seems just as likely that Ebby reported his team's findings to Kevyn, who immediately realized that the metallocytes and the swarm-sophont might be related, and went about investigating the theory that the ancient Oafa had them as well. Kevyn has always been good at having that sort of epiphany, after all.
    Except we actually see Ebby and Schlock making the connections in-comic.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I was wrong when I said Tagon would rent, not sell. Looks like he plans to just straight-up sell the fleet to Petey. I was hoping for an evolution into Mercenary Admiral Tagon, but alas.

I do wonder why Petey is selling warships to the UNS, when his need for them in Andromeda is likely immense. I also wonder why he has a warship shortage when he could simply gate-copy every warship he needed.