New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Portal Without Steam

Well, i've been running in one of my notebooks steam offline since last december. I simply put the steam client in offline mode, and made a backup in an external HD. Then copied the contents of the HD to the other notebook.

So, as long as you don't add a new game to that library, you can play it in that machine in offline mode technically forever. In this case, you simply will be unable to play portal 2 co-op mode, unless you are playing locally, if that mode is supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

I think one way to clarify this topic is to ask, what is your specific issue with Steam? Is it the fact, you don't 'own' the games, is it the fact it's DRM, is it how it uses resources, or is it online capability? Or something else?

Somethings we can help you with, somethings you can't. For example, on PC it is impossible to "own" any game, and has been that way for at least 10 years. We can't help you with that. But we can help you play Steam games without a reliable internet connection, or launching via a shortcut that skips the Steam Store front.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    I think one way to clarify this topic is to ask, what is your specific issue with Steam? Is it the fact, you don't 'own' the games, is it the fact it's DRM, is it how it uses resources, or is it online capability? Or something else?

Somethings we can help you with, somethings you can't. For example, on PC it is impossible to "own" any game, and has been that way for at least 10 years. We can't help you with that. But we can help you play Steam games without a reliable internet connection, or launching via a shortcut that skips the Steam Store front.
    He said it a couple times, he doesn't have access to internet. Period. Not "reliable", not something else, he can't connect desktop to internet. I don't think there's a solution around that, that doesn't involve illegal activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post

Technically, you've *never* owned PC games, or even console games. The license concept has been around from the very beginning.

Possible solution for the OP:

Many electronics stores sell pre-paid USB internet cards. Utterly impractical for browsing, but if you simply need to activate Orange Box or something, they work well enough.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Technically, you've *never* owned PC games, or even console games. The license concept has been around from the very beginning.
    Technically so have EULAs. You know how often you read those. >_>
    (A matter of principle, i'd call this. Having to ask someone on the other end of the internet with a pretty please to be allowed to play your game... not acceptable.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by White_Drake View Post
    I've played a little bit of Portal at my friend's house, and I was hoping to buy the game, but I loathe steam. Is there any way for me to get a copy of Portal that requires no Steam account to install or play?
    Yes. Acquire a Xbox 360 or PS3 copy of the Orange Box. You can also get the Xbox exclusive, Portal: Still Alive, that includes the original game plus bonus content. Otherwise, you cannot without violating the DMCA and the rules of this forum.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!