New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [FO:E] FallOut Equestria Interest and Possible First OOC Thread

I thought Green Alicorns did force fields and regular Alicorn zapping, not Elemental powers.

I'd be fine with an Alicorn, especially one prone to influences.

What?

Noooo, of course I wouldn't kidnap her and grow her into a personal loyal attack dog. That's CRAZY.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm... tentative to allow an Alicorn. It will certainly be a challenge, as nearly everything in the Wasteland has a "KILL IT WITH FIRE" outlook towards them. I mean, it doesn't look OP or anything. I'm just worried that it may create more challenge than fun for you. But if you're fine with that, sure, go ahead.

And as for an over-zealous followers/assistant/fan/henchman.... I dunno, seems like a recipe for hilarity if tied with Lucky and Gwendolyn. Lucky would likely be cool with it at first, then after half a day be like "Luna kill me now... X.x" or something.

Also, gonna wait for a few more posts from folks before I do another update. Don't wanna leave anyone behind, and give folks time to post/react/itneract.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, she was intended to be kind of awkward around other ponies anyway. The more legitimate challenges she faces, the better. This is not the kind of character that everything goes right for. She's destined for hardship.

Anyway, I'll put up a character sheet shortly, and keep an eye out for places to introduce these characters. I'm rather fond of characters, as you may have guessed.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Okay, so, couple of things...

1) Sorry if I rushed things along a bit for some people, but I kinda had to in order to keep everything going at an even pace, and most players didn't have much opportunity to say anything other than "I sit around for 3 hours" or "I trot through the desert for 2 hours or until a scorpion eats my leg."

2) Rebonak, can I puppeteer Long Haul for a bit? I can't remember if she's a PC or an NPC for you. She's kinda important for plot exposition, but I can summarize her dialogue and explanation to minimize god-modding. That okay?

3) My state is gonna get hit by a hurricane today. Soooooo, there is a distinct chance that I may go offline tonight, and not be back on for a day or five, depending on how whether or not there are power outages, and how bad they are. I mean, the power may not even go out. I'm just lettin' y'all know there's a possibility I'll go silent for a bit.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I'm... tentative to allow an Alicorn. It will certainly be a challenge, as nearly everything in the Wasteland has a "KILL IT WITH FIRE" outlook towards them. I mean, it doesn't look OP or anything. I'm just worried that it may create more challenge than fun for you. But if you're fine with that, sure, go ahead.
    Unless they travel along with a very-good aligned character, don't they?
    Besides hiding their wings to look like a unicorn, a large one though

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    A paint job probably wouldn't be too hard, but I'd imagine that actually modifying the structure would be risky at best for someone without impressive technical skills, a knowledge of power armor's workings, and some proper blueprints to work with.

I'd imagine a Brotherhood Steel Ranger Scribe could do it, if you could get one to cooperate and supply blueprints.
    Ehh....Actually both, making it look gray/white/silverish and modify the armor structure to look more like a bird/plane insctead of enclavish, the character that would use it has skills about armor, except power armor, so yeah, probably will need a scribe for doing that

Another question:

Are only unicorns capable of using memory orbs? since as far I know, they only work when applying magic to it, what if Luka finds one? is possible to find an add-on to a pipbuck that makes Earth ponies and pe
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-08-28 at 09:14 AM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #576

I really do need to pay better attention to OOC topics...

There are machines that allow non-unicorns to use memory orbs, yes. But they aren't exactly common.

*ahem*

Yeah. Feel free to puppet Long Haul for the exposition. Just don't forget that she has a thang fer cuttin' off the endin' of some words.

On Alicorns.

It's possible for Alicorns to be severed from the Unity hivemind. We know for sure that certain types of necromantic magic that attack the mind can totally louse up their telepathic connection to the Goddess.

However, even after being broken free they only have fragmented (at best) memory of who they were before being assimilated. What's more, they'll continue to operate on whatever orders the Goddess had given them prior to losing contact. The longer an Alicorn has been part of the Goddess the more likely it is that they'll go insane as a result of only having their own voice in their head.

All Alicorns have access to elemental offensive magic (or at least lightning) in addition to their shield spell. Greens in particular can use gestalt spells and telepathy. The above is all pretty well established in canon.

Now to non-canon land! I've been pondering this topic for the better part of the morning and I figured it would probably make sense if a pair of Green Alicorns still connected to the hivemind can use their gestalt telepathy to re-integrate severed Alicorns back into the hivemind. But that would take some time and unbroken concentration. Alicorns feel alone and naked and purposeless without the Goddess, they would probably seek out re-integration unless something was stopping them.

Another related concept that I felt inclined to run past you guys was how ponies are added to Unity in the first place. Figure it's worth expounding on since FO:E never covers it.

I figure that there are two main methods.

1) A pony is taken to the Goddess and she directs the process herself. Dunks them in IMP and telepathically directs the transformation whilst devouring their personality. This process would be pretty quick and totally overwhelming.

2) A pony is force-fed IMP by Alicorns out in the field. Two or more Greens telepathically oversee the transformation and feed the unfortunate pony into the Hivemind as the process finishes.

That would mean that it would potentially be possible to interrupt the process of Alicorn'ing a pony. However without direct or indirect guidance from the Goddess anypony who gets 'rescued' after being fed the potion would without a doubt go bucking insane. Only real mercy would be to put them down before they lose their mind completely.

I've also been pondering expounding a bit on the Unity religion since there are some non-Alicorn'd ponies that worship the Goddess. Basic idea is as follows: They believe that 'The Living Goddess' is the one true Goddess of Equestria. They believe that the self is an illusion and that becoming an Alicorn is paramount to enlightenment. There is no 'Me', there is only the Goddess.

On the subject of KILL IT WITH FIRE attitude toward Alicorns, some ponies worship the Goddess. How many is pretty much up to us. We know Alicorns actively hunt Wasteland monsters since the Goddess' goal is to make Equestria safe for her children. So they aren't necessarily bad unless the Goddess believes that a certain somepony needs to be absorbed into Unity whether she likes it or not.

Most ponies probably aren't keen on the idea of having their individuality forcibly destroyed.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-08-28 at 11:50 AM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Are only unicorns capable of using memory orbs? since as far I know, they only work when applying magic to it, what if Luka finds one? is possible to find an add-on to a pipbuck that makes Earth ponies and pe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    I really do need to pay better attention to OOC topics...

There are machines that allow non-unicorns to use memory orbs, yes. But they aren't exactly common.

Yea, memory recollectors...borderline rare and something that even Fox Trot seeks as part of his storyline.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a quick question about Alicorns. Namely, why can't their appearances be purely aesthetic like other ponies'?

I picked her colours because they resembled the Earth's colours, and I figured they fit her abilities. I had no idea that colouration of an alicorn followed strict rules, and I have no idea why I should stick to said rules, given that other ponies can look however their players want them.

I can work with the rest, though.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    I have a quick question about Alicorns. Namely, why can't their appearances be purely aesthetic like other ponies'?

I picked her colours because they resembled the Earth's colours, and I figured they fit her abilities. I had no idea that colouration of an alicorn followed strict rules, and I have no idea why I should stick to said rules, given that other ponies can look however their players want them.

I can work with the rest, though.
    Because that is how it is in the Fallout Equestria world and involves a lot of spoilers. Its complicated but there's a reason, but that is how it is. Here's a link to a wikia page. Alicorns are a whole different matter and allow for less diversity than your average pony PC.

http://falloutequestria.wikia.com/wiki/Alicorn
    Last edited by Benson; 2012-08-28 at 12:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Dwarf in the Playground

...So much for that potentially interesting character, then. Terra's getting scrapped.
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2012-08-28 at 12:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Less diversity does not equal less interesting, just saying. Tis all about the execution after all.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, it wouldn't be my character I'd be executing, would it? If I keep having to change her design, eventually, she stops being my character and becomes one from a set mould instead. And I don't want that.

I'm disappointed, of course, but my ideas just won't work under these conditions, and I see no choice but not to use them.

13. - Top - End - #583

Sorry about that =<

Alicorns are just...

Well...

Frankly they're an aberration. They shouldn't exist, but they do because of somepony meddling with things she shouldn't have been meddling with. They aren't terribly well fit for PCs simply because of how homogenized they are in appearance, abilities, and personality.

They lose a lot when they're absorbed into Unity. Even their cutie mark. Because who they were is well and truly gone.

They make decent antagonists and encounters. But as a PC they're pretty limited in how they can look, what they can do, even how they behave. Playing to those limitations is part of the package of trying to RP a sundered Alicorn.

If you still have any desire to play your concept out then maybe her coat-color could be one of the few things she recalls from who she was and part of her developing neurosis is a desire to become what she was again to try to block out the pain of losing her connection to the Goddess.

In other words, she dyed her hair those colors and she was a (insert color here) Alicorn originally.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Dwarf in the Playground

That could work, although it would have to be a subconscious magical effect or the like. Somehow, I don't think she'd have really good access to hair dye out in the wastes.

This might actually be workable. Her goal is not just to discover her powers, but also to establish an identity, all the while dealing with ponies who see her as either a monster or a weapon instead of a "person", so to speak. She has to learn the right choices to make in a world where she's seen as an abomination.

If there's anything else I should probably know, please tell me before any more problems arise. Whether she gets in or not depends on whether her concept seems workable to you.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    That could work, although it would have to be a subconscious magical effect or the like. Somehow, I don't think she'd have really good access to hair dye out in the wastes.
    Pinkie Bell says "Hi".
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #586

Hehe

Finding paint or dye would totally work. You could even have that be a little side quest of hers rather than simply giving it to her. SO MANY OPTIONS.

A monster.

A weapon.

Or a goddess.

The Children of Unity would probably be puzzled about her. She wouldn't fit into their theology. Clearly must be a witch or something >_>

*ahem*

One important thing is to come up with a reason WHY the Goddess isn't trying to bring your PC back into Unity. The most obvious answer I can think of is that she sees this as a chance for an experiment.

The Goddess has two long term projects. One is to find a way to make male Alicorns. The other is to find a way to give her children more freedom without causing them to go bonkers. It's possible that the Goddess wants to see how your PC develops to determine if this is a viable way to expand the freedom of her children without compromising their purpose.

She's just one Alicorn after all. Losing one isn't that much of a problem provided something can be learned from it.

17. - Top - End - #587

They make decent antagonists and encounters. But as a PC they're pretty limited in how they can look, what they can do, even how they behave. Playing to those limitations is part of the package of trying to RP a sundered Alicorn.
    mmmm, now you just made me curious
    How could be an Alicorn!Fawkes or Uncle Leo be made? could you compare Alicorn's lack of individuality to Super Mutant's savage insanity?

Thinking of it, what could be the possibilities of some alicorn having some "resistance" or an "obstaculized" path for being telepathically controlled? like, if one of them had a troublesome transformation or something that didn't completely erase "them", but went well until they were sent somewhere filled with references about Luna and Celestia and then they became really tough to control?
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #588
    Dwarf in the Playground

To be honest, I didn't consider any reaction from Unity other than wanting to recapture her, but her freedom being part of an experiment could be quite interesting. Depending on the Goddess's morality, it could be either an act of genuine benevolence or an experiment to try to improve Unity's PR.

Her being on the run from Unity is still on the table, but I think this gives more possibilities. And when she develops independence, things will get even more interesting.
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2012-08-28 at 05:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The Goddess has been known to do some interesting things. Lacunae, an Alicorn from Project Horizons (albeit a unique one: Designed simultaneously as an emissary to Hoofington and as a dumping ground for thoughts and emotions that the Goddess doesn't want to deal with) is more or less an individual while still connected to Unity, though the Goddess is capable of assuming control outside of an Enervation field or similar effect.

While we're at it, it should also be noted that both Pink Cloud and Enervation have clear effects on the Hivemind of Unity. Enervation is more hostile, as it causes the psychic wave to bounce around in a horrifically painful manner. Pink Cloud just blocks the connection like chaff to radio.

Enervation causes straight-up madness in Alicorns that aren't Lacunae, but Pink Cloud allows an Alicorn fragmented memories and pieces of their old personality that were left behind. Perhaps most strangely, their Cutie Mark returns...
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2012-08-28 at 05:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #590

First of all: Never played Fallout.

The setting was just interesting to me >_>

Alicorns aren't insane. Or savage, really. So long as they're linked up to Unity they show no signs of individuality what so ever. They function as a single organism with united goals. And they learn from their mistakes collectively. A trick used to kill one probably won't work a second time.

If sundered from Unity they'll continue to operate under whatever orders they had previously, though individual personalities and quirks begin to emerge. They're still all very similar, but the longer they're on their own the more unique (and usually crazy) they become.

There doesn't seem to be varying degrees of difficulty in controlling Alicorns. They're either part of Unity or they're sundered from Unity.

On the Goddess' morality...

I get the impression that she honestly thinks what she's doing is good. Or maybe the least-bad option on the table. She wants to absorb all ponies into Unity to end the bickering and fighting and disharmony of the Wasteland. However, she has no issue with killing anypony who crosses her.

She wants to help Equestria. But her view of what 'helping' is has become horrifically maligned.

ALSO!

It's possible that the Pink Cloud is the direct cause of the blocking of the hivemind. Here's another idea. The necrotic static from the transmitters, even if not in lethal range, is scrambling any mental magic in the area just like it scrambles brains.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think an Uncle Leo or Fawkes-esque character could work. An alicorn who failed to become properly assimilated due to freak circumstances. Perhaps the Goddess got distracted while overseeing her creation - Steel Hooves exploding a few Alicorns in the field ought to do the trick.

22. - Top - End - #592

Or blowing up the Greens who are inserting them into the Hivemind. That would have potential too.

I actually have an encounter planned with something akin to that taking place... But that comes later.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

It's possible that the Pink Cloud is the direct cause of the blocking of the hivemind. Here's another idea. The necrotic static from the transmitters, even if not in lethal range, is scrambling any mental magic in the area just like it scrambles brains.
    This is probable, since these effects were only clearly observed in Canterlot. At the same time, the frequency has a short broadcasting range before it becomes too inert to affect living beings. I don't know if telepathic contact is more sensitive, though.

EDIT: I should also note that, at least according to Doctor Glue's research, full transformation into an Alicorn occurs after incorporation into Unity. However, there are several intermediate steps of IMP exposure that allow for some interesting powers prior to full connection. This includes impressive regeneration capabilities, near-complete radiation resistance, and, in some cases, a connection to Unity strong enough to hear the Goddess but too weak to feel direct influence.

Also, less lucky individuals may suffer horrific madness if full conversion is not attained.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2012-08-28 at 06:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

From what I recall, canon Unification always takes place directly under the Goddess' watch, as she personally devours and changes them.
    She wouldn't have made a mistake.

But if you slide with Rebo's idea, there's room for error.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

25. - Top - End - #595

We have no idea!

Which is why I flail my arms around and say, "Some forms of necromantic magic can sunder an Alicorn from Unity."

Also, they don't get reconnected once they leave the area.

The Alicorn that tried to get through the shield at the SPP hub went there and then returned to Canterlot. And was still an individual. Hence why I would say they need to be reconnected externally.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Pretty sure they reconnect under low levels of influence.
    But if it gets bad enough to completely scramble their brains, it's a bit difficult for the Goddess to slide back into the shoes, so to speak.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

((I tried to add this as an edit but it got delayed due to the forum acting up. So here it is so people can actually see it.))

I should also note that, at least according to Doctor Glue's research, full transformation into an Alicorn occurs after incorporation into Unity. However, there are several intermediate steps of IMP exposure that allow for some interesting powers prior to full connection. This includes impressive regeneration capabilities, near-complete radiation resistance, and, in some cases, a connection to Unity strong enough to hear the Goddess but too weak to feel direct influence.

Also, less lucky individuals may suffer horrific madness if full conversion is not attained.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

...Whoops. I think I caused an argument about the canon of a non-canonical world.

I'm just going to propose that Terra's an experimental type meant to resemble the original princesses more. If that doesn't work, and we can't get things sorted out in other ways, then I'll just drop her. I want this business sorted out even if it costs me my character idea.
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2012-08-28 at 06:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #599

I see no argument!

I see only a bunch of peoples trying to work out how to handle topics that aren't covered in full detail in the story. It's a really good idea to figure out how to handle these things so we can be consistent with the execution in game. We don't even need to follow the canon strictly, we just need to decide on how we'll do things.

Everyone's thoughts are important on this matter. What would you like to see, Purity?

On emulating the princesses:

That would be... hard. All three princesses that we know of all have an innate connection to either a heavenly body or an abstract principle. The ponies that went into the creation of the Goddess had no such ability and so it might be hard for them to grant it.

HOWEVER!

I can see the Goddess looking for a means to do so to improve her children.

Does anyone smell plawt?

'cuz I do.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, we're willing to bend canon a bit? Why didn't you just say so? It might smooth things over a bit.

I still don't know if Terra will fit, though. I've realized that what I expected from the winged unicorns was completely different from what seems to be favoured here. I expected them to be attempts to emulate the canonical princesses, not strange monsters.

Anyway, the way I was thinking, she would have some ties to Earth (It's technically a celestial body as well), although not as strong as a proper princess's ties to their own celestial body. The Goddess could have been trying to mimic the original alicorns, and managed to get a partial success. Then, whether intentionally or by accident, she slipped free.

Of course, anything further on Terra relies on her actually existing, and since her concept was based on a faulty assumption of mine, I don't think she'll manage. If you really want to see her, we can work something out, but otherwise, I'm going to save her for something else.