New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Team Maaya: The Hawk and the Ox

Momo didn't like Sunomou.

That was a given. It was not like she haven't seen any place like this before. On the contrary, in her and her brother's eight year exodus, they have seen many a sleazy hole calling itself a city like this one. But, as she had to admit to herself, she was a kid in those times, under Kaede's vigilant protection, and the reality of the situation never fully hit him like this until she was her own individual.

Still, she was to be a "ninja", and whatever that truly meant, it probably didn't involve letting herself vulnerable against aspects of real life, such as this.

So, with a sigh, she recollects herself, mentally blocks the part of her brain that was going "What if I were to grow up in a place like this", and tries to slide into the professional's role.

"Let's start with the basics," she says, and starts laying some questions on the man, waiting each time for him to answer fully.

"The boy that started this, do you know his name? Is he anyone of note?"

"When do these thugs appear? Every night? Every other night?"

"Do they only appear around your home, or do they stalk you elsewhere as well?"

"Roughly how many of them are there? About 4-5? About 10? Or more?"

Her cynical side was already having some rather... darker theories about all this, but they were simply theories. Yet.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Muro

"Ah, he is name was K-Kyosuke, yes. He didn't give us a last name, but he was quite handsome. Young man though, older than my baby doll. Probably in his early 20s. I don't know anything about him, but he always seemed to have money. He didn't like to spend it either. He was quite nice though."

The man becomes slightly more nervous as he thinks and talks about the situation. "The th-thugs appear every night these days, but o-originally they only appeared every th-three days. I-I have only seen them at home, and if they f-follow my little pumpkin then she's never told me. When they're around the house, they number around fif-fifteen or more."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu was grossed out by Sunomu. There were ladies standing on street corners and every street was small and cramped and it smelled bad. The city was skeazy, the locals appeared the same, and GOD THE SMELL. Manabu was fixated on the foul scent. It was pervasive and rancid. Sheesh. It needed to rain hear for like several months.

He was about to ask questions of the man when Momo broke in herself and asked. Asked all the questions he had asked, though in a slightly different manner, but the questions were there. "Wow, it seems like you actually paid attention and made note of any patterns about the thugs watching your home." Manabu rolled his eyes. Maaya-sensei needed to have more faith in the common person. "Is it the same people? Or are there different people some days? Where is it you would prefer us to stay?" Manabu looked up at the man, his typically present smile having faded to a much more serious face. "What is it exactly you would like us to do? Do you want us to confront these thugs or are you just after peace of mind?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

DM

"Did you mention this pattern in your letter to the Council? No? Very well then. I would hope all our clients forget useful information like that." Maaya looks down at Manabu. Idiots deserved one another.

The nervous man rubs his forehead with his sweat-soaked rag. "I don't know. T-They all looked the same to me. Big tall statues of meat and bone."

When the conversation turns to what you should do, the man looks a bit confused. "I-I don't know. I just hired you to protect her, and assumed you'd act on your own. I just want this to stop, and I want my Remi safe. From anything. I-I paid for a week of service, but I don't care about the specifics as long as you can guarantee her safety. Forever, I hope."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"I have to agree with Maaya-sensei. That was definitely something that should have been included in your request for our services." Manabu frowns slightly at the man. His nervous habits could cost dearly if he didn't keep himself under control. "I suppose... Take us to where the thugs are when they come?" He asked, mildly unsure as to what to do next. It was his first mission after all.

It seemed the man wanted a permanent end to the threat to his daughter. Likey then, that a direct confrontation would have to take place. Well, if these thugs were as persistant as avertised, it might not be the team who initiates the confrontation.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Momo nods at Manabu's words. "Yes, take us to your home, please."

After a couple of seconds, she recoils slightly as memory strikes.

"Oh, by the way, Matsuta-san. Who was that boy sitting across the meathead- I mean, Gonzou?"
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-08-20 at 10:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

DM

"A-ah? Oh, that. That was Kyohei. Nice young man. H-He put me in touch with Gonzou, and vouched for me. W-without him I never would have gotten Gonzou's money."

The fat merchant takes your group around the corner into a tight back alley. Due to the close proximity of the hostel and the building next to it your group is forced to walk single-file through the area. The fat man leads you to a staircase, which goes up to the roof of the hostel. A squat one-story addition has been built onto the roof, and it seems to be the merchant's home.

"Here's where we live." He walks over to northern edge of the roof, then points toward a circular three story building on the other side of the street. The flat roof of the opposite building makes it easy to watch the Muro residence, and the proximity means they don't need a telescope or binoculars. "They're usually on that roof, but I've seen them in the streets sometimes when we leave in the morning. They don't have weapons, as far as I could tell, but... N-No one would have any reason to go up on that roof. So they have to be following us."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Momo puts a hand on her cheek, thoughtful. Suspicion seemed to be creeping into her mind with every new piece of information. Keeping them bottled for the moment, however, she fires another question.

"So, where's your daughter? Still working?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matsuta
    "She's been taking off work with the threats, but she can't do that forever."
    DM

The merchant reiterates what he said before about his daugher's work.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"Right," she nods, smacking her forehead in a jokingly exaggerated move.

She glances at her teammates, who were keeping somewhat silent for some reason.

"So, let's read the threat note itself. And hear your daughter's point of view," she says, gesturing into the Muro "residence".

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Matsuta heads inside and beckons for you to follow. His home feels cozy, and not just because of its small rooms and antiquated floors. Pictures of a beautiful older woman are hung around the living room. Some of them have the woman holding a baby, others have her just standing on her own, and still others have her hugging a very young girl. The pictures seem to have been taken at random, and have no real unifying theme to them at all. But one thing pervades every single picture: They're treated with care and diligence, and the subject is clearly quite loved.

A young girl, still in her budding youth, sits on the floor in front of a cozy table dominating the center of the room. She's wearing a dirty tee-shirt, shorts, and has this air of mischief about her. Her hands are scuffed, and a passing observation reveals that they're calloused and will used. Her looks mimic the woman in the portraits: Silky black hair, pale green eyes, soft features, and a bright smile. She waves to greet the group barreling into her living room.

"Welcome!" Her smile grows brighter, and she seems genuinely happy to see your group.

Matsuta introduces the girl as his daughter, Remi, and then disappears into the back to get the notes. He returns a few seconds later and provides several notes. He picks one then passes it to teach person in the four man team. The "note" seems to have been made from a get-well card, and the letters are pieces of newspaper clippings pasted onto the card in a crude fashion. Whomever did it either did not have a study hand, or was just lazy about the whole matter. Either way, it reads as follows:

Code:
    G et  o u t  of  y o ur  ho u s e. 
    I f  yo u  d o  not  t h e n  w e  wi l l  k i l l  y o u r  k i d .
     N o  po l i c e  or  w e  b u rn  t he  pl a c e  d o w n .
    "They all mostly read like that", Matsuta says while everyone is reading, "with varying degrees of urgency. Some have even threatened to... t-to kidnap her."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-20 at 02:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Momo casually walks around inside, taking time to gaze at the pictures and take in the overall air of the place. It looked, smelled, and felt like a home, a place some people were happy to live in, even if it was sometime in the past. They almost reminded her of her home, back in... how many years ago? She couldn't remember now.

Eventually she returns to the daughter in question, and sits her and herself down, to create a little more relaxed atmosphere, at the least. She gives the letter a brief read, but it doesn't present anything unexpected.

"So," she says to Remi, smiling in an encouraging manner, as if chatting with a close friend over coffee. "Tell me about Kyosuke."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-08-20 at 02:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Remi

The girl blushes deeply at Momo's question. She idly scratches her chin, wiggled around with embarrassment, and ultimately answers with a the most diplomatic response she could come up with. "Hands-y. But... He was also nice. I don't know what got into him, because one day he just up and demanded that I, "become his woman", like I was property to be owned."

She sighs at that. "That made me mad, and we fought. Now he's gone. I don't know where he went, but poppa says he's a bad guy now. I don't really believe that, but he's always taken care of me before, so I'll do what he says."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-27 at 02:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu read the note with more than a little suspicion. "Is there any reason you can think of that they would want you out of the house?" He asks mildly. "Are you supposed to leave your daughter?" He takes a small walk as he speaks, examining the home himself. He takes a look out the windows. "Which roof do they stand on?" He took a seat on the floor, looking up at everyone. "What are the surrounding buildings about? As in, their purpose."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Matsuta

Matsuta shakes his head. "I don't know why they would want us out. I don't know what the others do, but I do know there are no other reputable businessmen in this district. All of them could be the threat."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"That didn't really answer all the questions." Manabu said, friendly enough. "But I understand you're a little anxious. Probably a lot, really." He stood up and bowed to the man. "I vow that as long as we're here, we'll keep your daughter as safe as possible."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Momo nods at the girl understandingly, but there's a hint of skepticism in her voice as she starts.

"How bad was your fight? I mean, one doesn't hire that many thugs just because of a fight with a girlfriend. The worst an angry guy such as himself would do is to come here and wreck up the place. Hit you a couple of times, maybe."

She pauses for a second, letting the absurdity of the situation sink in, and then meets her straight in the eye.

"Is there anything else you might be... forgetting to tell?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 in Diplomacy for a 22, for getting her to open up, if applicable.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-08-21 at 10:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Matsuta

The fat men's eyes start to swell and he begins to quietly but openly cry. "T-thank you."

Remi

The girl just frowns. "He's not that kind of guy. Kyosuke wouldn't lay a hand on me, or my father. We had our share of arguments, but he would always listen to me. He didn't agree all the time, ya, but he listened."

She shakes her head at the question. "No. Like I said, we had a fight, then he left and didn't come back. I don't know who the thugs are working for, but dad says they're Kyosuke's friends. All I know is that I don't like the way they look at me."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-27 at 02:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Momo raises an eyebrow and turns to Matsuta this time. She waits for a moment or two to outwait the tears.

"How do you know these thugs are Kyosuke's friends?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Matsuta

"I don't, but who else could it be?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"I have a few ideas, but never mind that just yet," she replies, not wanting to worry the man further by telling him what are only theories.

She looks at her teammates.

"We'll need to put up a plan."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Takuya has been taking mental notes this entire time, his mind like a inescapable filing cabinet. Organized, efficient. The girl, Momo, asking good questions.

Keep an eye on her, decent mind.

The other one, Manabu. Young, easily angered. Probably overconfident with something to prove. File away for later.

He'd need their specialties later, so he could inform them of his complete lack of Taijutsu. He really needed to learn a few basic ones, but no matter. The man's crying threw Takuya off slightly, but his face hardened quickly. There was a disturbing lack of information here, and it looked like Momo was picking up on some of the same things he was. "You're right, a plan is needed. This kind of domestic stuff has a bad habit of escalating quickly."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"I agree." Manabu said, smiling again. "Matsuta-sama, you look worn out. Why don't you go rest while we talk. You've nothing to worry about." He smiled his best 8 year old smile and nodded to the overweight man.
    Last edited by Jacior; 2012-08-22 at 10:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Matsuta nods. "I agree. Remi, lets go to bed and leave these good people to their jobs."

Remi frowns a bit, but goes ahead and obeys her father. "Good night, and please take care of us." With that, Matsuta and Remi head to bed.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Watching the Muros leave for bed, Momo turns to the group and raises an eyebrow.

"So, initial thoughts?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"Doesn't seem much like a domestic dispute." Manabu said, climbing up into a chair. "A little much, don't you think?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Momo nods matter-of-factly, expecting more.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

My opinion is that we need to find out more about Kyosuke, as people certainly aren't telling us everything." Takuya tilts his head, as if searching for the right words. "Actually, I'd like to hear your theories, Momo."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Momo nods, appreciating the gesture. She begins to walk back and forth while gazing at the ceiling, as if her thoughts are floating somewhere up there.

"Well," she says, keeping her voice low enough to trouble any possible eavesdroppers, "First, the obvious. Fifteen hired thugs? Fitting for a drug deal or a gang war, maybe, but just because a girl dissed you? I'm not buying that."

"Then there's the situation of who ended up profiting from all this. Matsuta is afraid, and in order to pay for us, he indebts himself to this Gonzou character. With the aid of this, helpful, helpful Kyohei boy,"
    she pauses for a long moment there, for anyone else to finish that train of thought by themselves.

"And Matsuta-san might not be able to ever pay his debt back. Not with the money he makes. He does have one valuable thing, though, that they might take," she finishes, and throws a glance at the bedroom where he and Remi have disappeared into. Momo's face is a study in cold, grim reality, and it makes her look even older than her relatively-already-pretty-old age of 15.

She realizes that it was a long shot in terms of deduction, but she doesn't care, as long as it can contribute even a little to the situation at hand.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu listened to Momo speak on her thoughts and theories. He made sure to listen intently and not become distracted as 8 year olds tend to. "Hmm... A plot to have the girl forced into Gonzou's "employment?" Not a bad idea, but something about doesn't sit right in my head." He says, regarding Momo with a type of enthusiam at her logical thinking process. "Matsuta doesn't seem the type that more than 3 or four thugs wouldn't send him into a fit. Paying all those thugs to camp on a rooftop and THEN lending him money to hire a team of ninjas, an inexperienced team admittedly, to protect the thing he wants?" He frowned. "Doesn't seem like a way to go about things."

Manabu swung his legs back and forth. "I mean, I would do if differently. I would send a couple of people, 4 or 5 maybe, to the roof in disguise. Then, when Matsuta came to me for help, I'd offer my protection in exchange. If he refused, well, not much else I could do." He shrugged. "Plus, that doesn't explain the notes. Why would being out of the house matter?"

"One of my thoughts is that this home is the right place to do... something. They want him out, but need to do it without killing him for some reason... Nah, my theory doesn't make much more sense." He shrugs and leans back in the chair. "Takuya? You have any theories?"