New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Bleach in The Playground: Renewed Revolution (Setup And Discussion)

Okay then apparently my class was cancelled today. So does anyone have a good idea of where I could introduce Kyoki?

EDIT: @Dancrilis, I think they are trying to say that destroying a captain class hollow isn't something someone still in the academy, not even graduated yet should be doing. Captain class hollows in the source material have been killed off casually before, however that was usually by another captain level entity or someone acknowledged as captain class. Plus here thanks to the war Captain class entities are a big deal. It would be like saying Sho is so powerful that she owns Kiba or Myojin while she is in the academy.

That and her background is a little iffy on how she got so powerful so quickly. Epecially since other characters have been training and working hard to get to where they are at. For example Bob's character Kiba. The background is a bit more concise and explains that Kiba did train hard to get to his level of strength. Where as with Sho it just kind of seems to be...there. Not even a mention of her training, just hunting. Natural power can only go so far.

@Mahonri, If that is what happens would Valentina be willing to pick up a rogue arrancar with a pechent for madness as her new Fraccion?
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2013-04-17 at 04:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

I could have Lugaru crawl off away from the battle scene (even though he's an incomplete character) and they could talk about...Hollow Stuff. Wherever you put Kyoki, I could have him go.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #903

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: @Dancrilis, I think they are trying to say that destroying a captain class hollow isn't something someone still in the academy, not even graduated yet should be doing. Captain class hollows in the source material have been killed off casually before, however that was usually by another captain level entity or someone acknowledged as captain class. Plus here thanks to the war Captain class entities are a big deal. It would be like saying Sho is so powerful that she owns Kiba or Myojin while she is in the academy.

That and her background is a little iffy on how she got so powerful so quickly. Epecially since other characters have been training and working hard to get to where they are at. For example Bob's character Kiba. The background is a bit more concise and explains that Kiba did train hard to get to his level of strength. Where as with Sho it just kind of seems to be...there. Not even a mention of her training, just hunting. Natural power can only go so far.
    Basically this. In general I prefer it if we tried to avoid devaluing the meaning of Captain level, and your character has a non-existent explanation for obtaining a ludicrous degree of power over an absurdly short period of time. Since no one else raised an objection, I let the character be, but insisting on having a random, faceless captain level opponent to dunk in order to show off how awesome your character is is not something that I can accept.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Not really sure where to go from there without it sounding like Creon is using some sort of hollow pickup line.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    @Dancrilis, I think they are trying to say that destroying a captain class hollow isn't something someone still in the academy, not even graduated yet should be doing. Captain class hollows in the source material have been killed off casually before, however that was usually by another captain level entity or someone acknowledged as captain class. Plus here thanks to the war Captain class entities are a big deal. It would be like saying Sho is so powerful that she owns Kiba or Myojin while she is in the academy.
    Well she only went to the academy get closer to higher level targets, (captains and vice-captains).
    I also get the impression that Kiba is around captain class just his personality prevents him from taking it, and Myojin has actually achieved Bankai (so is presumably captain class or damn close).

Her background is deliberately vague to allow me or others to fill it in as the story develops - for example way she has a male name.

But I am thinking that soul-society has sufficient powerful people that avoided the shinigami either deliberately or by accident to allow for ones to fall through the cracks, i.e Zakari Kenpachi, Ikkaku Madarame, Yachiru Kusajishi and Kaname Tōsen.
    All of which are at or around vice-captain/captain class who did not get recruited until they shown up.
    Unless the current reduced soul society is more efficient.

But she would have been hunting the most powerful of her region prior to finding a new source of potential targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Basically this. In general I prefer it if we tried to avoid devaluing the meaning of Captain level, and your character has a non-existent explanation for obtaining a ludicrous degree of power over an absurdly short period of time. Since no one else raised an objection, I let the character be, but insisting on having a random, faceless captain level opponent to dunk in order to show off how awesome your character is is not something that I can accept.
    Well I was considering lowering it when designing the character.
    For example the shikai was deemed to be overpowered and ill-defined so I was happy to work on altering it to allow for a better fit.

No one mentioned the level of the character, so I took it as fine and stabilised the character in my mind before posting an opening scene.
    I also mentioned what the opening scene would be before posting it in case anyone had any comments.

Ultimately what I see is some of the mysteries for the character is who she is, where she came from, where did Karia come from etc.
    Mysteries that the character has no immediate interest in ... but one that she can might get interested in over time - and I can flesh out based on the story.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2013-04-17 at 05:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #906

I personally see Kiba as Vice-Captain level (Bob can correct me, though), at least until he'll start training to unlock his Shikkai.

Actually, I could see this as a good motivation for Kiba to train to become the Kenpachi. A high-powered character comes in. She has potential and strength to become the Kenpachi, but she doesn't care a whim about any of the troops, so Kiba suddenly feels he should train to defeat her. Then, after that, he can finally take the mantle of The Captain of the Combat Division.

However, I think the problem most people are having, Dancrillis, is that she singlehandedly defeated a Captain-level Hollow while she was at a disadvantage. In this setting (Renewed Revolution, not Bleach normal), Captain-level individuals are so rare that many of the actual captains aren't "Captain Class". Most Shinigami Captains probably wouldn't be able to defeat a Captain-Level Arrancar without some great strategy and teamwork beforehand.

So, I think, if the Hollow that your character defeated was a Vice-Captain level, that would be a lot more consistent within the setting.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    In this setting (Renewed Revolution, not Bleach normal), Captain-level individuals are so rare that many of the actual captains aren't "Captain Class".

Most Shinigami Captains probably wouldn't be able to defeat a Captain-Level Arrancar without some great strategy and teamwork beforehand.

So, I think, if the Hollow that your character defeated was a Vice-Captain level, that would be a lot more consistent within the setting.
    Ah ... in that case I might have been using the term differently then other were taking it to mean.
    I am using captain class to imply at the level of a captain (i.e captains in the setting we are playing).

Essentially (and perhaps poor writing contributed in which case apologies) the way I am seeing the fight is as follows.

Sho shows up and meets an opponent more powerful then herself and tries something - it fails and leaves her exposed where she gets hit.
    She is clear witted enough to compensate but she had to break out her full power immediately rather then gauging her opponent and by throwing her cover away (not messing around with gearing up) - which did not impress the creature, she then had to rely on her enemy being an foolish and lacking observation.
    Then she had to wait until her slow acting power took affect, while the enemy could not match her hiding and it could not power-up/maintain its power using others as her passive affect killed them.
    Once the creature moved to feed on a student (and use then as a lure for her) it likely fed heavily on corrupted power weakening it enough for her to finish it quickly.

It was by no means a sure thing for her, the opponent was stronger but stupider and her power is designed to even the strength gap - which she took the time for at the cost of the lives of others.

So for actual Bleach Manga/Anime whether the opponent was actually captain class, VC class etc is not really relevant to me so much as the in game level.

I would see her effective power being low-captain, high-vice captain in comparison to the others in the game. The hollow at it's maximum would be regular captain and normally low-captain in comparison to others in the game.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2013-04-17 at 06:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I personally see Kiba as Vice-Captain level (Bob can correct me, though), at least until he'll start training to unlock his Shikkai.
    Depends on how you define it. If the fight consists of just hand-to-hand or hand-to-unreleased-Zanpakuto, I'd say Kiba stands at least a chance against even Captains, just due to sheer training. But factor in Shikai, Bankai, Kido, etcetera and his chances are a lot slimmer. He will eventually get to Shikai (and hopefully someday Bankai), but there's an in-universe reason why he hasn't achieved Shikai, and it's not because he lacks the power or even the discipline. It more has to do with the nature of his Zanpakuto spirit, which makes Kiba look like a domesticated puppy.

I do agree that I think it's mostly the term "Captain level" which is confusing. The hollow I have planned for Sho to already have killed would have been conceivably strong enough to have caused problems at the academy for everyone but Sho (thus keeping things consistent with what has happened) but could probably have been taken down by most Vice-Captains or even named PC Seated Officers, and definitely been steamrolled by a true Captain class.

Also, there's another word for "Captain-level hollow." They're called Arrancar, or rather Espada.

Let me ask you this, dancrillis, at this point, does it really matter how strong the hollow was? It's already dead. It's not coming back. Sho defeated it pretty handily even if he did go all-out on it. It really causes more problems for everyone involved if the hollow was somehow strong enough to have been a captain-power-level and therefore a major player in the overall RP. If you like, you can even say Sho went from "limiting himself to just under the hollow's power level and therefore at risk himself" to "overkill."

9. - Top - End - #909

I'm pretty sure Vasto Lordes also count as "Captain-Level Hollows".
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Knew I was forgetting one.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So Dorizzit can you tell us anything about your plans for the Hollows yet or is it a suprise?

12. - Top - End - #912

Still working on things. The last couple of weeks have kept me absurdly busy irl. I'm coming out of that period soon, and I'll kick things into motion on the Hollow end of things as soon as Jehoel's current scene ends. Actual plans for the future will, generally speaking, not be posted publicly.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sounds like it should be fun.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    See...had I known that "Reiatsu at a Captain's level" translated to the character was at a Captain Level...I'd have had more to say about it all. I agree with the above however. I'm in full agreement with Dorizzit here.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

posting a possible character here for review, I've neve rplaye din a free-form game before but it does look fun

[WIP]
    Humbert
    [spoiler]
    Age: late twenties before death... about forty as a hollow
    Height: 7'2"
    Weight: 160lb, roughly
    Station: Innumerable Class Arrancar

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Humbert stands very tall and spindly, his form seeming sunken into his frame, giving his flesh a nearly skeletal appearance.
    He wears a simple grey hooded cloak over his otherwise fairly plain clothes--a white buttoned jacket with long sleeves and a pair of grey slacks--in order to help hide his frail appearance.
    he wears his long dark grey hair tied into a low ponytail, though his bangs appear more trimmed.
    His mask fragments are a pair of large tusks attached to jawbone-esc segments running along his jawline.
    Humbert's hollow hole runs through where his stomach would be, a lasting reminding of how he died.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Twitchy about his appearance since he became an Arrancar(largely due to his nearly skeletal nature compared to most Arrancars), Humbert also has a love of feasting, both on souls as well as more mundane foodstuffs.

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During Humbert's time as a human, he lived a poor life, having met his end due to starvation and sickness, and his own frailty.
    His time as a hollow has been much more successful, his pre-Arrancar form having been a tall humanoid beast, with a mask resembling a stereotypical depiction of an oni, albeit one with very large tusks.

Story So Far:
    hasn't begun yet

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show

Still possessing a few abilities from his lower forms, Humbert as skilled at climbing, and possesses a honed ability to track foodstuffs, including both mere mundane ones, as well as the more useful ability to track living creatures and shinigami by scent.
    he also possesses moderate skill at cooking, since his transformation into an Arrancar anyway, though this is not an especially useful skill for a hollow to possess.
    Finally he can slowly transfer himself between locations, taking roughly two to three seconds for each foot traveled. While transferring himself he is mostly immobile, and his form appears to flicker like a flame in both his current location and the one he's heading to, fading in and out at each in tandem.

Zanpakuto:

Name: Cazador a Matar

Release Command: "Finish it, Cazador Matar!"

Appearance: A heavily rusted Hunting Sword with two notches on it's blade, one close to the hilt, and another near it's apex.

Resurreccion:
    Spoiler
    Show

Appearance: Humbert's form grows to nearly twice his height as his skin changes to a pale grey colour.
    His mask extends to cover his head, now bearing a large mouth of fangs, largest of which are the two tusks visible on his mask fragment.
    His back, and much of his upper body becomes protected by a thick chitinous shell, from which several spiked quills(each about a meter long) now grow, and his feet become more avian in appearance, growing scaly and thin.

Abilities: Humbert grows stronger and faster(about twice his normal strength, and three times his speed) in this form, and can fling his quills as long range attacks with very high accuracy, if not much(compared to his melee attacks) power. He can strike with his tusks in this form, or slash with his long(about three meters) armour plated tongue.
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-04-18 at 02:04 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

For the record, I'm holding off posting with Kiba regarding the whole hollow at the academy thing until we're all on the same page here.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Dwarf in the Playground

If there spots open for 'captain class' characters are there special rules for them?

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ettin in the Playground

Regarding the Academy incident: My personal opinion is that Captain-level power, whether that be in form of Vasto Lorde, Espada or actual Captains, should be "Player character only". Please do not introduce such characters as disposable NPCs.

That said, I'm fine with the one, particular Hollow Sho is fighting to be Vice-Captain to Captain level. But the rest should not be. Academy students are the very bottom of Bleach food chain along with ordinary mortals - even everyday Hollows are usually a serious threat to them.

I'm going to hold off posting with Li until you all have agreed to the number and general level of the attackers.

EDIT:

@FallenEco: Not many, but the following should be kept in mind:

On the Shinigami side: All existing Divisions have their Captaincies filled. As such, a new division needs to be founded for your character to be captain in. In practice, this means you need to itnroduce your character first, and worry about becoming a Captain second.

Also, old Captains retired 50 years ago, so ideally new captains should not be very old.

On the Hollow side: Pleace fill vacant spots for Espada first.

@Animekid: Kyoki is listed as a Numeros for the time being.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2013-04-18 at 10:19 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FallenEco View Post
    If there spots open for 'captain class' characters are there special rules for them?
    There are still spots open for 'captain class' characters. Either as actual Captains (I believe we decided sometime ago that we're reopening the potential for 13 Squads to leave some Captain positions open) or, as long as you have a valid explanation, someone who is at that level of power.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that those were stated to be above-captain level.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Let me ask you this, dancrillis, at this point, does it really matter how strong the hollow was? It's already dead. It's not coming back. Sho defeated it pretty handily even if he did go all-out on it.
    She rather then he.
    Thinking about it I suppose if it causes problems I could drop it to third seat/ low vice-captain level, and she made a mistake in her eagerness to have a kill - potentially with the hollow having a defense to ward of others by appearing more powerful then it was.
    She is good at analyzing things but some random ability that tricked her would be fair enough.

I will have to modify her thoughts in the next post to reflect her analyzing the situation after.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

A minor fluff question(been a while since I looked through the fluff, so I'm still re-familiarizing myself with it), do all Arrancar have Zanpakuto?
    I wasn't sure only Espada and Numeros had them, or if all Arrancar did
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    A minor fluff question(been a while since I looked through the fluff, so I'm still re-familiarizing myself with it), do all Arrancar have Zanpakuto?
    I wasn't sure only Espada and Numeros had them, or if all Arrancar did
    I'm fairly certain they all do, unless you want your character to for some reason not have one.

23. - Top - End - #923

I was thinking of creating an arrancar.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    I'm fairly certain they all do, unless you want your character to for some reason not have one.
    I'll come up with one for Humbert then.. just need to think of something fitting to him.. perhaps a Hunting Sword for it's form?
    I have a base Zanpakuto up now
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-04-18 at 02:05 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

Hunting sword for Arrancar Zanpakuto is perfectly acceptable. They tend to have greater variance in appearance, as unlike Shinigami, Arrancar do not have standardized origins for their weapons.

EDIT:

@Dancrilis: waiting for Sho's reaction before continuing.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2013-04-18 at 02:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926

OrcBarbarianGuy

After reading Azmus's sheet, it occurred to me it would be interesting to see him and Ean fight, due to the similarity of their powers.

Ean would probably get roflstomped though

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, nothing wrong with character death... I mean, roflstomping.

Also, updated the registry once more. Can't understand how I managed to miss your characters until now, Julian.

Mikael and Yui had their "Story so Far" section filled in. I remind and encourage other players to keep track of their own plots as well.

Also, I added minor weather control to Yui's profile. She can now control moisture and temperature of her surroundings. Given enough time, she can cause light drizzle (rain) or freeze water. Or cause a dramatic gust of wind every time she steps in. Objections?

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Two more characters because I should probably have have some unseated Pack members to actually lead.

Name: Bulk Wedge
    Spirit Type: Shinigami
    Zanpakuto: Arumajiro
    First Release: "Come at me, bro!"
    Description: Starting with very large iron knuckles on both fists, Arumajiro becomes a set of armor which covers most of Bulk's upper torso, somewhat resembling American Football gear, if it were designed by Michael Bay. The whole set of armor is studded with spikes. Even covered in all this armor, Bulk can move pretty fast and is adept at charging attacks and brawling. On top of all this, Bulk can compact himself and roll into a large, spiked iron ball to hopefully crush enemies.

Name: Skull Biggs
    Spirit Type: Shinigami
    Zanpakuto: Daida
    First Release: "Swing for the Bleachers!"
    Description: Daida becomes a large iron, spike-studded bat, reminiscent of an Oni club. Despite being several times larger than himself, Skull can wield the bat with ease, even one-handed. Besides just being a large and powerful weapon, Daida has the ability to launch anything Skull hits and send it flying. Anything from projectiles, Kido spells, people, to certain iron-ball-shaped allies.

Appearance: ((If you aren't picturing these guys right now, you didn't grow up in the 90's.))

History: In life, Bulk and Skull were notorious troublemakers in the streets of modern suburbia. In death, they've cleaned up their act. Sort of. They're still kind of obnoxious and they seem one stooge short of a comedy. But in actuality they're fairly competent fighters with even a decent mastery of basic kido and shunpo. Thanks to the strict training and discipline of the previous Kenpachi, to whom they were fiercely loyal, they even both unlocked their Shikai. Despite their efforts and determination, they never seem to catch a break, always being found at the root of some disaster or folly. It doesn't help that sometimes they revert back to their old troublemaking ways to pull pranks or tease other Shinigami, something that ends about as well as you'd expect.

29. - Top - End - #929

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Not really sure where to go from there without it sounding like Creon is using some sort of hollow pickup line.
    Hollow pickup lines are fine. I'm pretty sure Valentina won't mind, so long as it's not a Shinigami pickup line.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Managed to come up with something limited as it maybe that didn't sound like a double entendre.