New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Connection and Contention (IC)

Malenth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiplanar View Post
    As he finally passes to the other side of the gate, Reynald exhales slightly. They had been stopped, of course. Nothing serious - just guards wanting to be thorough. As much as Reynald appreciates their dedication, he cannot help but be irritated at the constant delays. At this rate, Lanath would be long gone. Moving towards his companions, he brushes the grime off of his coat.
    "I'm glad that we have all made it. Are we ready to go?" Malenth seemed as upset as he was, if not more so. Indignation, perhaps? Reynald had learned to hide that particular sentiment a long time ago, even though he had spent a great deal of time today displaying it. The noble would learn in time.
    History repeats itself, and nothing is ever new. Meanwhile, Arlin and Kirin stand together, as if bound by a sort of gravity. Together, they looked like near reflections of each other (save for the caveat of gender, of course). Reynald smiles slightly, simply enjoying the air that is fresh and the stakes that are high once again. He moves over to where the horses are tied up. Picking a dark grey mare, he throws himself up into the saddle while beckoning the others to do the same. Five horses. They would be taking one riderless horse, he supposed. After all, if Zane did decide to follow them, he would need a mount. Looking out towards the eastern wilderness, Reynald begins mapping their route in his head. It had been a long time, but he remembers the trails around here. After all, he was a country boy by birth. He would be damned if he forgot the countryside that had given him life. Digging in his spurs lightly, Reynald sets his mare at a light trot along the road.

While not an experienced rider, Malenth was able to lead his horse well enough. Riding up beside Reynald, He matched the older man's pace and looked him in the eye.

"Now that we're out of the city, I assume it's safe for you to answer questions. I'd like to know anything I can about the current situation. How large is the force we're up against, where are they headed, what kind of tactics they've used in the past. Knowledge is power, after all, and we'll need some to make up for the difference in numbers."

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post

While not an experienced rider, Malenth was able to lead his horse well enough. Riding up beside Reynald, He matched the older man's pace and looked him in the eye.

"Now that we're out of the city, I assume it's safe for you to answer questions. I'd like to know anything I can about the current situation. How large is the force we're up against, where are they headed, what kind of tactics they've used in the past. Knowledge is power, after all, and we'll need some to make up for the difference in numbers."

The guildsman nods slowly as he directs his horse down the country road. The East Gate was already shrinking behind them, and the buildings gradually spreading out. Once assured that no wandering ears will hear, Reynald slows his horse to better converse with Malenth and the others.
    "You are correct - you will need to know about our foe. His name is Lanath Orcbane. For years, he has commanded a company of drow warriors, raiding and pillaging. Usually they stay contained within the Reach, but under my blessing they recently traveled into Asarenholm. Orcbane has broken the peace of this land, as well as breaking a pact with both the Society and me personally. His band is known as Lanath's Legion. The best approximation puts their number at more than a hundred, but less than one-fifty. The Society report had them moving due eastward, towards the Tikaritian Mountains." The sun-dappled road begins to thin, worn tiles turning slowly into mud. Behind him, Reynald can hear the clip-clop of horseshoes: Arlin and Kirin were not far behind them. He takes a breath of fresh air before continuing. They were in no hurry anyhow.
    "Look. These drow are dangerous. If we are truly but four, then they have approximately a thirty to one ratio of manpower. All of them are veterans of guerrilla combat, as they have trained in both the Underdark and on the surface. I've met them before, even traveled with several for a time. They are pragmatic and ruthless, good qualities to be found in soldiers, even if they are a bit bloodthirsty for my tastes. Don't expect them to make any mistakes out here. They will be able to hunt for their food too, most likely. After a time, I suspect we will have to do the same." Turning back towards the path ahead of him, Reynald's eyes are pools of blue-grey resolve.
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-08-29 at 02:52 PM.

Winner of the MtG card design contest 'Winner is the Judge', Week 5!

3. - Top - End - #123

Malenth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiplanar View Post
    The guildsman nods slowly as he directs his horse down the country road. The East Gate was already shrinking behind them, and the buildings gradually spreading out. Once assured that no wandering ears will hear, Reynald slows his horse to better converse with Malenth and the others.
    "You are correct - you will need to know about our foe. His name is Lanath Orcbane. For years, he has commanded a company of drow warriors, raiding and pillaging. Usually they stay contained within the Reach, but under my blessing they recently traveled into Asarenholm. Orcbane has broken the peace of this land, as well as breaking a pact with both the Society and me personally. His band is known as Lanath's Legion. The best approximation puts their number at more than a hundred, but less than one-fifty. The Society report had them moving due eastward, towards the Tikaritian Mountains." The sun-dappled road begins to thin, worn tiles turning slowly into mud. Behind him, Reynald can hear the clip-clop of horseshoes: Arlin and Kirin were not far behind them. He takes a breath of fresh air before continuing. They were in no hurry anyhow.
    "Look. These drow are dangerous. If we are truly but four, then they have approximately a thirty to one ratio of manpower. All of them are veterans of guerrilla combat, as they have trained in both the Underdark and on the surface. I've met them before, even traveled with several for a time. They are pragmatic and ruthless, good qualities to be found in soldiers, even if they are a bit bloodthirsty for my tastes. Don't expect them to make any mistakes out here. They will be able to hunt for their food too, most likely. After a time, I suspect we will have to do the same." Turning back towards the path ahead of him, Reynald's eyes are pools of blue-grey resolve.

Responding to Reynald's synopsis with a nod, Melenth goes into deep thought on how to deal with such formidable opponents. "Are there any tactics or weapons they are known for? Given the situation, drastic measures might be needed to deal with them."

His expression hardening, Malenth looks much more serious. "And should we be forced to make a choice, should the agent they've captured be silenced rather than being left in enemy hands?"
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2012-08-29 at 03:33 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Zane to Vesth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whoever made the bracelet was a genious. The countless spells and counterspells that make up KimZahn's earthy prison limits the efreeti, using his own power against him to power the many arcane symbols that hold the Efreeti in check. Although the bonds are weakening, so is KimZahn, as much as he hates to admit it. But there will come a day that he'll be free. But today's not that day.

And so, as the Efreeti struggles against the spells, both new and old, he tires, and the bracelet established its authority once more.

As he tried to follow the accursed spellcaster for another quick shot, he bumps into what seems to be an invisible wall, and try as he might, he was slowly, inexorably drawn back towards the ring, as if by some unnatural force of gravity. He stares angrily at the world at large, and all that has conspired against him, before the female forms dissolves into smoke, the faint threads flowing back into the ring. There was no use resisting, and so he did not. He would plot, and gather his strength, and overcome the boundaries one day. And maybe he could still get Zane to help him. But then again, his rage still fuels his thoughts. He will decide on what to do with that human when the time comes.
    After the scene had cleared and the street traffic had gone back to normal, Zane edged away from the wall he was pressed against. He picked his way through passersby, making sure not to bump anyone. He couldn’t risk after such a scene that someone was watching for him.

The bracelet that rested in the ditch of the side street suddenly vanished to the eye of the normal being. The magically hidden Zane picked it up carefully and tentatively. Zane spoke in a whisper to the bracelet, only feeling a little foolish about talking to an inanimate object. “I don’t know about you, but if I were trapped in a bracelet, I wouldn’t be so obvious about my presence. Do you know how many people know you exist? Let’s just say a lot. While that might seem attractive to you, they likely to never let you free. I just might.” That would entirely depend on his safety once he did so. Zane certainly did not want to spell his own destruction.

“Whatever the case may be now isn’t the time and place to be attracting attention to either of us. We need to get out of here, and right now, that guy seems like our best chance of doing so. So, for now, will you try not to get us caught? I don’t think you want to get locked back into a vault the same way I don’t want to be in a cell. Deal?” Zane had the bracelet in his hand; ready to clasp it onto his wrist should the efreeti agree, or throw it away should it get malicious. In the back of his mind, he wondered how long this spell over him would last.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Sarah (Venn)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Replying as Styn the Caravan Driver and Tyrus to Sarah (Venn):

The caravan master spit loudly to the side of the cart and leaned back. Now that everything was all settled up, he could relax and let the horses do the rest. Styn had not been to Brunsgrove in a long time. Likely, nothing had changed. Even if it had, it would likely come back to the way it was eventually. Things had a way of balancing themselves. Despite his wares and various commodities to trade, Styn wasn’t thinking about any of it. He was thinking of where he would spend most of his time – the Pits. The Pits was a place the boldest and unconscionable gamblers went to win heavy loot. Depending on what you bet, you could find yourself rivaling a small noble in wealth. All you had to do was bet on a fight. No big deal. So what if it was to the death? The tricky part was betting correctly. If you ran out of gold, there was no such thing as owing money there. If you couldn’t pay, you had to fight. Needless to say, you had to know when to stop. Some of the boldest entered a fight willingly, and bet on themselves. Of course, all of this was illegal. Most gambling was. That didn’t stop Styn.

The wagon creaked rhythmically, rocking slowly back and forth. In the mid morning light, the city gleamed, the river stretching like wings to either side. The road to the north gate came down from a tall hill, and it gave a beautiful view of the small city. This was a beauty that was lost to Styn. He was drifting off to sleep from the movement of the wagon. The horses carried the wagon the rest of the way.

By the time the caravan was arriving at the city entrance, Tyrus had activated the scrying pool on Sarah’s location. He watched from a cushioned seat, and ate a plate of peppers in a mixture of oil and basil. He used a dark bread to scoop it up from off the plate, and ate a liberal bite. He studied the wall. Not terribly formidable, he considered. He had expected more defenses in the northern most city of the Asaren nation, but this apparently was not the case. The caravan driver showed the guards some papers and the caravan passed through the gate without inspection. Perhaps concern for safety was unjustified for their agent. Still, some monsters of the sea had no teeth in their mouths, and were still quite the danger. What did it matter how sharp the teeth were if you were still swallowed whole? Tyrus ripped another piece of bread off with his teeth. Well, he thought, contemplating the torn bread, there were some perks.

Looking down at the expanse unfolding in front of her, Sarah cannot help but be amazed by the quiet perfection of it all. Brunsgrove was a relatively small town, but there was something clean about it. Everything here shone, despite the ever-prevalent grime of the world. Lowering her hood once again, Sarah stretches her back slowly as the wagon begins to slow. Up ahead, the structures that make up the town begin to approach. She looks immediately for an inn, climbing off when the vehicle gets close enough.
    "Thank you. I will be -" Stopping once she realizes that the caravan driver was all but asleep, Sarah shakes her head silently. The man had been professional, but she wouldn't be all that surprised to find him in a gutter the next day. From the wagon, she takes her satchel with her traveling gear - they hadn't allowed her to bring all that much with her. Of course, her purse was bulging with Asaren marks. She would need all of it, they had said. Approaching the nearest inn, she hesitates before entering. What kind of protocol was there to spending the night within the cities of Asarenholm? Passing through the entrance-way, and noting the price of a room for a night, she leaves the appropriate amount of gold on the bar before climbing upstairs. They would collect it, she reasoned. Right now Sarah's focus was on one thing: running a bath and getting cleaned off. As she runs the water, she throws her satchel on the mattress and begins to prepare herself. The water is suitably warm, and after several minutes of furious scrubbing she begins to see her original skin color once again. The suds of lye around her are actually quite soothing, softly sinking into her pores. Lying back, Sarah finds herself thinking of the suburb of Loseptos, where she was raised. Everything there was dirty, not like here. The mud and the sand got everywhere - there was no escaping it. She smiles slightly, remembering playing in the streets with her "cousins". Filthy, unabashed, naive. They didn't care that the elders were suppressed by the guard, or that as members of Tibur Aujir, they were accorded the rights of slaves. There was so little that perturbed them - their existence was the mud, the stone, and the sun. Yes, it was different here. Brunsgrove was certainly clean, but Sarah could already feel the remoteness that came with it. There, she had had family. Here, her only company was the agent on her trail. She grasps for the last of the dirt as it floats through the bathwater. It slips through her fingers, disappearing down the drain.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-08-30 at 10:33 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #126

Elif, Replying to WombatOfDoom
    After several hours of roaming the streets, Elif made her way back to the Tipsy Falcon to find a usual rancor of midday. Keeping her head down, the catfolk made her way to a lone table toward the left wall, taking a seat and waiting for her companion to arrive. She occasionally heard snippets of conversation concerning some thief, but she could barely listen in over the din of the rowdy tavern.

And so she waited...
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post

Responding to Reynald's synopsis with a nod, Melenth goes into deep thought on how to deal with such formidable opponents. "Are there any tactics or weapons they are known for? Given the situation, drastic measures might be needed to deal with them."

His expression hardening, Malenth looks much more serious. "And should we be forced to make a choice, should the agent they've captured be silenced rather than being left in enemy hands?"

After a time, Reynald cannot hear the words being directed at him. Instead, his ears are filled with a faint buzzing. The road seems to split in two before converging. The banker shakes his head, sweaty fingers slipping over the reins. His mount slows accordingly.
    What... is it happening again? Not now, please not now. Just a little longer, I think I can make - A stabbing pain, the release of blood. For the third time, he nearly hurls. A faint chill creeps over him, numbing him at the center. Nearly falling out of the saddle, Reynald barely manages to resist the onslaught. After an indefinite period, he can feel his fingertips once again. Time passes. Righting himself above his mount, Reynald sits up straight. There was no more room for weakness here. Ignoring the Twins, he looks to Malenth.
    "Lanath's Legion isn't known that well here in Asarenholm. From what I have seen, they specialize at ambushes, using the natural terrain to outmaneuver opponents. As far as weapons go, most of them use swords or spears. Many of the drow are scouts, good at fighting light on their feet. You won't see any in plate armor, that's for sure." Reynald can feel his lungs rattling as he speaks, his body threatening to betray him once again. He grits his teeth, leans over, and spits onto the ground. Red.
    "Alderan Delante is the name of the operative that has been captured. We will try to extract him alive, but if needed we kill him. The same policy goes for Lanath himself. The Board wants to dispense justice on him personally, but they will settle for his head." Looking away, he wonders just how much more Malenth suspects. Of course, there would be no way of knowing that Alderan was a Painter mole, or that Reynald had no intention of leaving him alive. His peers had given him strict instructions as to that matter.

Winner of the MtG card design contest 'Winner is the Judge', Week 5!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Replying as Ander

Spoiler
    Show

“Solium Lovis,” said the Society member that had vouched for Ander. He stood in the center of the square room facing the ornately carved doors. How many times had he done this? How long ago had it been since he had himself been in Ander’s position? Too long. A loud and low rumble pierces the silence and the doors part before him. The room ahead is large and polished. He picks out a few places that the polishers missed with a frown and makes a mental note. A light breeze passes by as the hall sighs with new air rushing in, and older air leaving. He ushers the boy in and leads him down into the center of the massive and round room. The 6 pillars loom above the two, dwarfing them in comparison. He motions to a basin placed in the center point of the room. “This is the Hall of Transcription, and the last step in your joining our society. A pledge must be made. When you reach the basin, speak your full name and then say these words: After fortune, wealth. After plenty, harvest. After death, opportunity. This creed is at the heart of the Morganstern Society, and the altar will tell if you are worthy of embodying it. This is a ritual that is at least as old as the Society, so it goes without saying that you will show respect. I will be waiting at the entrance." ‘Right’ spoke the words as he himself had heard them as he stood in Ander’s place. He turned and left the boy to make his pledge, and the doors shut behind him.

When he reached the others, Polyae Cassain was there and speaking to the other two. She was speaking of Reynold, and how he had thrown her out of the interview with applicant Malenth. ‘Right’ listened quietly, his brow blooming creases as she went on. It seems Reynold had been gone from the society too long…
    [/QUOTE]

As the robed man leaves the hall, Ander begins to look around, he sees the basin and the altar were the other man indicated, and six gigantic collums supporting the vast expanse of polished stone. It is about this time that he realizes that the familiar burble of emotions and stray thoughts that usually eminated from the local spirits has drifted away, leaving a ringing silence in his head. He makes a quick prayer to Corellon in Elvish "bénir ton serviteur, rusé Dieu" then places one hand in the pool and the other on the book and says "After fortune, wealth. After plenty, harvest. After death, opportunity.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as the Spirit to Ander:
    Quote Originally Posted by Exalaber View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Replying as Ander

As the robed man leaves the hall, Ander begins to look around, he sees the basin and the altar were the other man indicated, and six gigantic collums supporting the vast expanse of polished stone. It is about this time that he realizes that the familiar burble of emotions and stray thoughts that usually eminated from the local spirits has drifted away, leaving a ringing silence in his head. He makes a quick prayer to Corellon in Elvish "bénir ton serviteur, rusé Dieu" then places one hand in the pool and the other on the book and says "After fortune, wealth. After plenty, harvest. After death, opportunity.
    All the spirits that filled Ander's mind vanished, save one. As Ander spoke the words, a warmth filled in his chest. The presence was familiar, yet also somehow different. No colors shined and shimmered, no sounds came and went. Yet, Ander's mind was clear, if only for a moment. Suddenly, things seemed clearer. In Ander's mind spread a vision. Seven figures were before him. Each were within a nimbus of light of its own color. The center figure had around it a red nimbus, and it glowed more brightly than the rest. The oath seemed to have done something. In the vision, Ander could not help but look down and notice that a trail of light spread from each figure to his feet. Each one, save the red figure in the middle. As the Red Figure faded, the other spirits followed the trails of light back to Ander, and the vision ended.

The spirits were back...but not as strong as before. One was missing.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

KimZahn
    Replying as Zane to Vesth:

After the scene had cleared and the street traffic had gone back to normal, Zane edged away from the wall he was pressed against. He picked his way through passersby, making sure not to bump anyone. He couldn’t risk after such a scene that someone was watching for him.

The bracelet that rested in the ditch of the side street suddenly vanished to the eye of the normal being. The magically hidden Zane picked it up carefully and tentatively. Zane spoke in a whisper to the bracelet, only feeling a little foolish about talking to an inanimate object. “I don’t know about you, but if I were trapped in a bracelet, I wouldn’t be so obvious about my presence. Do you know how many people know you exist? Let’s just say a lot. While that might seem attractive to you, they likely to never let you free. I just might.” That would entirely depend on his safety once he did so. Zane certainly did not want to spell his own destruction.

“Whatever the case may be now isn’t the time and place to be attracting attention to either of us. We need to get out of here, and right now, that guy seems like our best chance of doing so. So, for now, will you try not to get us caught? I don’t think you want to get locked back into a vault the same way I don’t want to be in a cell. Deal?” Zane had the bracelet in his hand; ready to clasp it onto his wrist should the efreeti agree, or throw it away should it get malicious. In the back of his mind, he wondered how long this spell over him would last.
    KimZahn took a moment to consider Zane's words. He knew he had been foolish, and had thrown all his cards into the table, and then proceeded to metaphorically burn every single one of them instead of the cards of others. Now as it is, he is probably stuck with this human. Time to stop all these pretense, and let known who holds the power here.

A deep booming voice echoes in the head of one particular Zane, completely unlike the sweet voice of his previously assumed form.

"HAHAHAHA.....FOOLISH MORTAL.

IF YOU DARE THROW THE BRACELET AWAY, WHEN I AM FREE, I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND STRIP YOUR SPINE FROM YOUR BODY. I WILL KEEP YOU ALIVE AND LASH YOUR SPINELESS SELF WITH THE REMAINS OF YOUR SPINE UNTIL YOU ARE MULTILATED BEYOND YOUR IMAGINATION. IF YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD, I WILL GIVE ALL YOUR DESENDENTS THE HONOUR. AND I WILL BE FREE.

...BUT I DESIRE TO BE FREE OF THE EARTHLY PRISON, AND I WILL TRY NOT TO GET YOU CAUGHT...AS YOU HAVE ASKED OF ME. BUT IN RETURN, I WANT YOU TO GET ME OUT OF THIS PRISON.'

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Lanath
    The earth beneath his feet reminds Lanath of home - dry, cool, and rough. There was an edge to it, the chaos of ordered nature. His muscles straining under the weight of the dead animal, the drow climbs to where his troops have stopped, atop a rise not very far away. From that position, they would be able to see all traffic into the pass and in their immediate vicinity. A cruel smile, empty eyes.
    One more day. Nwul tash. Once we get our answers, the world will tremble. Climbing the incline gradually, the warrior eventually makes it to the campsite. He drops off the cadaver among the small pile that had already been amassed, and stands upright. After about a minute of stretching, he can feel the approach of several figures. His captains.
    "Nainas, Aumerle, Ryorn. I see you have stopped the march for today. How far to Aldaris pass?"
    "We are only several hours march away, lord Mal'Sur. We thought it better to pace the rank and file, allow them time to rest and get the lay of the land. As you can see, it is already producing results. Several more scouting parties have been sent out."
    "Good. Anything else to report?" There is a pause, his subordinates sharing glances. After a moment, Aumerle speaks up.
    "... the prisoner is awake, my lord. The tent has been set back up, as per your instructions."
    "Perfect. Take me to him." Gesturing for his most trusted lieutenant to guide him, Lanath allows the carnal impulse to beat within him once again. It was this dark instinct that drove him, a primal urge to survive and dominate that existed within all living beings. He was simply able to become one with it. His hands steady, his pupils dilate. Throwing back the tent cover, Lanath approaches the cage.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Maticus acknowledged all of the words with a continuously inquisitive face. He removed his rigidly sharp gauntlet to accept the handshake, and his face went from it’s current state to one of stern understanding.

After slowly placing his gauntlet back on and wrapping a strap just under the edge of the metal he slowly looked back up and took in the Zhin’s questions. He nodded for a moment and licked his lips to begin talking, and next nearly began to recommend a different area of conversation. He couldn’t afford to lose a possible informant. So he let the man finish up what he had to say and Maticus simply waved a hand around himself and said with a low and official tone.

“Choose your flavor then, cover our voices with that of others, or find a dark lowly hole where beggars could catch wind. None of which matters to me, I can cover my tracks if needed.” He eyed the man for a second and took into note the aura and manner of which Zhin addressed everything. “As for how I found you? I’ll let that rest on the senses of curiosity as it doesn’t matter.”

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Calicade View Post
    Maticus acknowledged all of the words with a continuously inquisitive face. He removed his rigidly sharp gauntlet to accept the handshake, and his face went from it’s current state to one of stern understanding.

After slowly placing his gauntlet back on and wrapping a strap just under the edge of the metal he slowly looked back up and took in the Zhin’s questions. He nodded for a moment and licked his lips to begin talking, and next nearly began to recommend a different area of conversation. He couldn’t afford to lose a possible informant. So he let the man finish up what he had to say and Maticus simply waved a hand around himself and said with a low and official tone.

“Choose your flavor then, cover our voices with that of others, or find a dark lowly hole where beggars could catch wind. None of which matters to me, I can cover my tracks if needed.” He eyed the man for a second and took into note the aura and manner of which Zhin addressed everything. “As for how I found you? I’ll let that rest on the senses of curiosity as it doesn’t matter.”

Zhin nods. "Fair enough, I suppose. That leaves only one question, my first one: what of our interest, and its crossing? What is this supposed conjoin?" Zhin steps backwards, and continues to survey the crowd. Dozens of commoners wander by, seemingly on lives of their own. Not a few cast glances towards him, but none's interest lasted long enough to hear.

More dangerous, however, would be mages and worshippers, listening from afar with whatever dark magicks they practiced now... Speaking of which, Zhin was not quite sure what year it was. Several dozen, for sure, perhaps a hundred or two. You'll have to figure out, and discreetly... it would not do to lose face, especially with this one.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ander
    Spoiler
    Show
    All the spirits that filled Ander's mind vanished, save one. As Ander spoke the words, a warmth filled in his chest. The presence was familiar, yet also somehow different. No colors shined and shimmered, no sounds came and went. Yet, Ander's mind was clear, if only for a moment. Suddenly, things seemed clearer. In Ander's mind spread a vision. Seven figures were before him. Each were within a nimbus of light of its own color. The center figure had around it a red nimbus, and it glowed more brightly than the rest. The oath seemed to have done something. In the vision, Ander could not help but look down and notice that a trail of light spread from each figure to his feet. Each one, save the red figure in the middle. As the Red Figure faded, the other spirits followed the trails of light back to Ander, and the vision ended.

The spirits were back...but not as strong as before. One was missing.

As Ander turns to leave, he is puzzled by this feeling, that was a strong spirit. He ponders that as he approaches the doors, then emerges into the stairwell.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

Responding as Deneth to Irena
    Spoiler
    Show
    Replying as Irena to Deneth:

Apparently, the bodies spoke for themselves.

Irena frowned as she watched the Marque of Astrine depart. He hadn't even gone up to the vault area or looked over the scene for clues. She looked around the murder scene and side entrance to the vault building and briefly wondered what he might have and that she had missed. Or perhaps he knew something she did not. Inclusion apparently did not go both ways. She led Captain Deneth as they talked to the vaults where theft had occured, leaving the murder scene behind. She nodded to guards as she passed through a door which led to the Astrine vault. They saluted as she passed.

"How about anything... well... anything only YOU could sense Irena?"

Irena smiled conspiratorily. "That particular talent of mine is the reason we figured out his name," she murmured. "Our thief has an ego. Too bad Greenwing left, he'd have liked to have seen this." They entered the Astrine vault room, which had several guards stationed around it, and a member of the House Astrine was taking inventory of the items. She picked up a paper that had been set aside from the other objects in the vault.

"Take a look." She handed him the paper.

Once opened, Deneth will find a note written in loopy script. The note reads:
    Give my regards to Lady Astrine.
    ~Edward Zane

"Our thief left us a calling card."

Deneth smiles. One could think that self-assured criminals were hard to catch given of how self-assured they were of their skill.

He had learned otherwise in his long career... people with an ego were easier to take down in the end if you played their ego against them.

"Splendid... I will have someone take it down to the Guard house and give it to Father Uriah of Helm... he loves pleading to his God for divination when it can lead to an arrest..." he tells her.

"Now for more info. I will have a look around the place just to get the feel of it. Do you think you can have for me the files of the guards on duty? Not just the ones that died but the alive ones as well... oh and a list of people who have access here or visit on a daily basis! If Greenwing wants to catch the thief we might as well focus on the accomplishes..."

And with that, assuming the woman does not have something else to add or ask he spends the next couple of hours familiarising himself with the location.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Zane to KimZahn
    Spoiler
    Show
    KimZahn took a moment to consider Zane's words. He knew he had been foolish, and had thrown all his cards into the table, and then proceeded to metaphorically burn every single one of them instead of the cards of others. Now as it is, he is probably stuck with this human. Time to stop all these pretense, and let known who holds the power here.

A deep booming voice echoes in the head of one particular Zane, completely unlike the sweet voice of his previously assumed form.

"HAHAHAHA.....FOOLISH MORTAL.

IF YOU DARE THROW THE BRACELET AWAY, WHEN I AM FREE, I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND STRIP YOUR SPINE FROM YOUR BODY. I WILL KEEP YOU ALIVE AND LASH YOUR SPINELESS SELF WITH THE REMAINS OF YOUR SPINE UNTIL YOU ARE MULTILATED BEYOND YOUR IMAGINATION. IF YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD, I WILL GIVE ALL YOUR DESENDENTS THE HONOUR. AND I WILL BE FREE.

...BUT I DESIRE TO BE FREE OF THE EARTHLY PRISON, AND I WILL TRY NOT TO GET YOU CAUGHT...AS YOU HAVE ASKED OF ME. BUT IN RETURN, I WANT YOU TO GET ME OUT OF THIS PRISON.'
    Zane’s eyes narrowed, but he smiled mischievously. “What will keep you from stripping me of my spine once I let you out?” Zane whispered. “I’d certainly like to help, but I’d need some sort of insurance. So far you haven’t proven yourself trustworthy. Until you do, how can you expect me to free you?” Zane hoped his silver tongue would work its wonders. As the two conversed, Zane decided it would be alright if he placed the bracelet back onto his wrist. Knowing he had a rapidly decreasing window of time, Zane began to walk toward the East Gate.

Replying as ‘The Three’ with Polyae Cassain
    Quote Originally Posted by Exalaber View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Ander turns to leave, he is puzzled by this feeling, that was a strong spirit. He ponders that as he approaches the doors, then emerges into the stairwell.
    ‘The Three’ were focused on Polyae when Ander returned to them. “…don’t even know what purpose he serves at all at this point. He’s practically a cripple and—“
    “That’s enough, Member Cassain,” said Castor sharply. “Reynold is greater than you will ever realize, and he deserves a kinder fate that the one forced upon him.”
    “Still,” said Larrum, “if he’s acting strangely, he might not be what he once was.”
    “Indeed, the sickness might have changed him,” Robert said quietly, “or it could have given him more conviction. The truth of the matter is, we have not seen Reynold in a long time. Much has likely changed for him and for us since last he was…active.” He waved off Polyae with a hand, and she left slowly. She obviously wanted to hear more. She had looked most displeased. He chuckled to himself. She’d likely become more displeased if she knew the whole of his train of thought. Reynold’s mission was too important. If he was turned…there was more than one important member at risk. They had to be sure.

Robert’s eyes turned to consider Ander - in need of training, generally not known, eager to please. He would do. The three introduced themselves to Ander. Left was Larrum, Center was Castor, Right was Robert. They were well aware of the coincidence. They’d arranged themselves to suite it. Then Robert explained his plan for Ander. He would go to meet Reynold and join him and the group heading east after Lanath. There he would learn from Reynold, but he would also watch. It was explained that he was to be given a necklace that would allow Ander to communicate with them, as well as allow them to watch Ander as if they were with the group. They also gave him a small phial of liquid, instructing Ander that if Reynold had indeed turned against them, to poison him.

“Use this only if we instruct you to,” said Larrum seriously. “ONLY if we tell you to.”

“Oh, and Ander?” Castor said with a smile. “Welcome to the Society.”

Spoiler
    Show
    They will provide you with a horse, rations, water skin, and any small things you may need but do not have.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

KimZahn

Zane’s eyes narrowed, but he smiled mischievously. “What will keep you from stripping me of my spine once I let you out?” Zane whispered. “I’d certainly like to help, but I’d need some sort of insurance. So far you haven’t proven yourself trustworthy. Until you do, how can you expect me to free you?” Zane hoped his silver tongue would work its wonders. As the two conversed, Zane decided it would be alright if he placed the bracelet back onto his wrist. Knowing he had a rapidly decreasing window of time, Zane began to walk toward the East Gate.
    "...Listen, hairless ape, Just wish this. Use these exact words, or I will pummel all the trash talk out of your system. Say this:
    I wish that my handsome, supreme, powerful entity of a Efreeti not-slave will not pull me out of my spine when I free him. There. So now, you can have complete faith I won't do that. But if you don't free me, I will flail you with your spine, understood?"

KimZahn echoed menancingly, flaring his magical capabilities a bit, though slightly muffled by the prison that held him for so long. There are many ways to twist a wish, and he loved exploiting them as much as he could.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ander
    Spoiler
    Show
    ‘The Three’ were focused on Polyae when Ander returned to them. “…don’t even know what purpose he serves at all at this point. He’s practically a cripple and—“
    “That’s enough, Member Cassain,” said Castor sharply. “Reynold is greater than you will ever realize, and he deserves a kinder fate that the one forced upon him.”
    “Still,” said Larrum, “if he’s acting strangely, he might not be what he once was.”
    “Indeed, the sickness might have changed him,” Robert said quietly, “or it could have given him more conviction. The truth of the matter is, we have not seen Reynold in a long time. Much has likely changed for him and for us since last he was…active.” He waved off Polyae with a hand, and she left slowly. She obviously wanted to hear more. She had looked most displeased. He chuckled to himself. She’d likely become more displeased if she knew the whole of his train of thought. Reynold’s mission was too important. If he was turned…there was more than one important member at risk. They had to be sure.

Robert’s eyes turned to consider Ander - in need of training, generally not known, eager to please. He would do. The three introduced themselves to Ander. Left was Larrum, Center was Castor, Right was Robert. They were well aware of the coincidence. They’d arranged themselves to suite it. Then Robert explained his plan for Ander. He would go to meet Reynold and join him and the group heading east after Lanath. There he would learn from Reynold, but he would also watch. It was explained that he was to be given a necklace that would allow Ander to communicate with them, as well as allow them to watch Ander as if they were with the group. They also gave him a small phial of liquid, instructing Ander that if Reynold had indeed turned against them, to poison him.

“Use this only if we instruct you to,” said Larrum seriously. “ONLY if we tell you to.”

“Oh, and Ander?” Castor said with a smile. “Welcome to the Society.”
    Ander leaves the city, siting on the back of a sturdy traveling horse, obviously not of the best breeding, but none the less, a quality mount, leading a lightly burdened pack pony. His clothing consists of some richly decorated, but rather worn traveling leathers, and thick cloak. He carries supplies for sleeps in the wilderness with him, as well as his swords, a bow, and several hunting spears, his pony carries the allotment of food, which, irritatingly enough for him, is nothing so much as several weeks worth of dried barley grits. He at least made himself a concession to the lack of good food in the near future, and is munching on an orange as the sets of in pursuit of his new mentor, charge, test, it was unclear to him what the purpose was, but he would do his best to fulfill it.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as GM to Elif
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    After several hours of roaming the streets, Elif made her way back to the Tipsy Falcon to find a usual rancor of midday. Keeping her head down, the catfolk made her way to a lone table toward the left wall, taking a seat and waiting for her companion to arrive. She occasionally heard snippets of conversation concerning some thief, but she could barely listen in over the din of the rowdy tavern.

And so she waited...

Noon comes and goes and still no contact becomes apparent. The tavern becomes busier as lunch traffic moves in. Many unsavory characters are now frequenting the tables nearby.

Replying as Almeran to Lanath and Legion
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The earth beneath his feet reminds Lanath of home - dry, cool, and rough. There was an edge to it, the chaos of ordered nature. His muscles straining under the weight of the dead animal, the drow climbs to where his troops have stopped, atop a rise not very far away. From that position, they would be able to see all traffic into the pass and in their immediate vicinity. A cruel smile, empty eyes.
    One more day. Nwul tash. Once we get our answers, the world will tremble. Climbing the incline gradually, the warrior eventually makes it to the campsite. He drops off the cadaver among the small pile that had already been amassed, and stands upright. After about a minute of stretching, he can feel the approach of several figures. His captains.
    "Nainas, Aumerle, Ryorn. I see you have stopped the march for today. How far to Aldaris pass?"
    "We are only several hours march away, lord Mal'Sur. We thought it better to pace the rank and file, allow them time to rest and get the lay of the land. As you can see, it is already producing results. Several more scouting parties have been sent out."
    "Good. Anything else to report?" There is a pause, his subordinates sharing glances. After a moment, Aumerle speaks up.
    "... the prisoner is awake, my lord. The tent has been set back up, as per your instructions."
    "Perfect. Take me to him." Gesturing for his most trusted lieutenant to guide him, Lanath allows the carnal impulse to beat within him once again. It was this dark instinct that drove him, a primal urge to survive and dominate that existed within all living beings. He was simply able to become one with it. His hands steady, his pupils dilate. Throwing back the tent cover, Lanath approaches the cage.
    Almeran’s dreams were explosions of pain and color. Waking was no different. Lights danced in front of his eyes and he could barely focus his vision or his thoughts. His throat was dry, and his head pounded rapidly. He weakly cried out for water in a raspy, slurred voice, but no one came. He drifted off to sleep again, exhausted.

The first thing Alderan noticed when he awoke was that he was no longer moving. He was no longer in the wagon, and again in the tent. His thoughts had somewhat cleared, but he could not seem to focus his eyes, nor quell the pounding in the back of his head. The grill of his cage was digging into his skin where he leaned, and he adjusted irritably. Why was he here?
    “WHY AM I HERE?!” he rasped out. A drow came through the tent, observed he was awake, and left. Even now, the light shining into the tent from outside was like a hammer hitting him in the head. He collapsed in pain. In this state, it was uncertain to Alderen how much time had gone by until another entered the tent. It must have been a day at least, a week at most. Whatever the case, minutes even seemed like individual eternities. It took all the training he had had withstanding torture in the past to bring his thoughts to a saner level. Still, it was near impossible to focus his thoughts. It was like each thought he had was swirling out the wound in his head. If Lanath meant to interrogate him, he was certainly in no state. Or in the perfect one.

Replying as Irena to Deneth
    Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deneth smiles. One could think that self-assured criminals were hard to catch given of how self-assured they were of their skill.

He had learned otherwise in his long career... people with an ego were easier to take down in the end if you played their ego against them.

"Splendid... I will have someone take it down to the Guard house and give it to Father Uriah of Helm... he loves pleading to his God for divination when it can lead to an arrest..." he tells her.

"Now for more info. I will have a look around the place just to get the feel of it. Do you think you can have for me the files of the guards on duty? Not just the ones that died but the alive ones as well... oh and a list of people who have access here or visit on a daily basis! If Greenwing wants to catch the thief we might as well focus on the accomplishes..."

And with that, assuming the woman does not have something else to add or ask he spends the next couple of hours familiarising himself with the location.

“You’ll get them when I do!” Irena said with a calculated amount of annoyance. “I was just sending another messenger to expedite things when you arrived. Should be here soon. I’ll also get you a list all the objects stolen. The only thing I see in common was they were all magical items, and there was one taken from each of the seven houses, and one from the central vault.”

A guard came up to Irena and handed her a note. “I have a few other things to attend to. I’ll let you check out the crime scene, since you may not get another chance. The council wants this place locked down by the end of the day.” She turned to go, but stopped. “Thank you, Deneth,” she said, putting her hand on his arm. It had been a long time since the two had worked together. It was definitely nice to be doing so once again.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "...Listen, hairless ape, Just wish this. Use these exact words, or I will pummel all the trash talk out of your system. Say this:
    I wish that my handsome, supreme, powerful entity of a Efreeti not-slave will not pull me out of my spine when I free him. There. So now, you can have complete faith I won't do that. But if you don't free me, I will flail you with your spine, understood?"

KimZahn echoed menancingly, flaring his magical capabilities a bit, though slightly muffled by the prison that held him for so long. There are many ways to twist a wish, and he loved exploiting them as much as he could.
    Zane frowned invisibly. "I don't see how that would work." He whispered. "Once you were free, you'd likely not be held to wishes at all. You could do whatever you wanted. And if I were able to wish that...well why could I just wish for you to never be free, or something of the sort."

A tempting prospect...but Zane wasn't really ready to ask a wish without knowing the fullness of the consequences. Zane was really trying to bring the efreeti around to his side, not order it to do something. He was wary that this granter of wishes would somehow turn it against him. This all sounded like one of those children's tales, where the moral was "becareful what you wish for."

The road traffic had grown congested. It stretched up and over the last small rise in the city before sloping down to the east gate. As Zane made his way to the top of the rise, he saw what was causing it - a checkpoint had been formed at the gate. Perhaps he could just sneak through undetected? It would be risky with THAT many people moving around. Zane weighed his options while he studied the area from afar.

"Crap," he muttered.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-09-07 at 07:06 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Greenwing at the Gates

The little dragonman sat perched on the gate, looking over the checkpoint, taking in every detail. If he was hunting a mage-thief, he had to assume that the man might be canny enough to try to disguise his exit magically. Obviously he wasn't a teleporter or else he would have left a lot more cleanly. That meant that illusion or enchantment were the most likely means of escape. He sat there monitoring the magical auras of everyone leaving, looking for someone to walk past with strong illusion or enchantment.

Come on, thief. Do your worst.

The words to one of his greater invocations hung at the back of his tongue, ready to spring forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

KimZahn
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane frowned invisibly. "I don't see how that would work." He whispered. "Once you were free, you'd likely not be held to wishes at all. You could do whatever you wanted. And if I were able to wish that...well why could I just wish for you to never be free, or something of the sort."

A tempting prospect...but Zane wasn't really ready to ask a wish without knowing the fullness of the consequences. Zane was really trying to bring the efreeti around to his side, not order it to do something. He was wary that this granter of wishes would somehow turn it against him. This all sounded like one of those children's tales, where the moral was "becareful what you wish for."

The road traffic had grown congested. It stretched up and over the last small rise in the city before sloping down to the east gate. As Zane made his way to the top of the rise, he saw what was causing it - a checkpoint had been formed at the gate. Perhaps he could just sneak through undetected? It would be risky with THAT many people moving around. Zane weighed his options while he studied the area from afar.

"Crap," he muttered.

A deep rumbling sound echoed in Zane's head, which cannot be mistaken for anything but mirth.

"The bracelet is flawed, much to the chagrin of its makers. The more I will against it, the harder I fight against it, I can set limits to their incessant asking. One of them asked for for the same thing you suggested, and with my sheer desire for survival, I managed to set a riddle as a 'roadblock' of sorts that he had to solve before I could grant him his wish. The look on his face was priceless when my riddle was to 'tell me the name of the last Djinn I had killed'..." the Efreeti said wistfully, recalling things of time long past.

"Oh, do you need help? How about I turn you into a gold statue so you can escape from the vault again? I'm sure it won't be as challenging as the first time..." KimZahn said mockingly.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Zane to KimZahn and Greenwing
    Spoiler
    Show

A deep rumbling sound echoed in Zane's head, which cannot be mistaken for anything but mirth.

"The bracelet is flawed, much to the chagrin of its makers. The more I will against it, the harder I fight against it, I can set limits to their incessant asking. One of them asked for for the same thing you suggested, and with my sheer desire for survival, I managed to set a riddle as a 'roadblock' of sorts that he had to solve before I could grant him his wish. The look on his face was priceless when my riddle was to 'tell me the name of the last Djinn I had killed'..." the Efreeti said wistfully, recalling things of time long past.

"Oh, do you need help? How about I turn you into a gold statue so you can escape from the vault again? I'm sure it won't be as challenging as the first time..." KimZahn said mockingly.
    Perhaps I'm going about this wrong, Edward considered. The efreeti liked mischief; that was apparent. Zane weighed his options. He could climb the wall, and possibly get by so long as there weren't enchantments on the wall that would get rid of his invisibility. He had no idea as to that possibility. He could walk to the gate, but his cloaking could dissipate by then. That would be a disaster. He'd used up all his magical items he'd been provided for the heist in the heist itself. One of them had been meant to get him out of the city, but after the set back with the guards he'd had to use it. He was supposed to be long gone...not still in the beehive. And after he'd kicked it by going off of the path his employer had set...within Aldhaven was the last place he wanted to be.

What Edward really needed was a distraction of some sort. Some sort of trouble or something. Maybe even an illusion of him trying to climb the wall or running from the guards. Or a burning house. That's where the efreeti might be able to help. If it liked mischief, maybe it could cause enough ruckus to help him get through. If only there were more people on his side.

And then the efreeti hit a nerve. Screw it. I'm making a wish.

"I wish for another image of myself to use as a distraction for any who might try to keep me from getting out."

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

KimZahn
    Spoiler
    Show

Perhaps I'm going about this wrong, Edward considered. The efreeti liked mischief; that was apparent. Zane weighed his options. He could climb the wall, and possibly get by so long as there weren't enchantments on the wall that would get rid of his invisibility. He had no idea as to that possibility. He could walk to the gate, but his cloaking could dissipate by then. That would be a disaster. He'd used up all his magical items he'd been provided for the heist in the heist itself. One of them had been meant to get him out of the city, but after the set back with the guards he'd had to use it. He was supposed to be long gone...not still in the beehive. And after he'd kicked it by going off of the path his employer had set...within Aldhaven was the last place he wanted to be.

What Edward really needed was a distraction of some sort. Some sort of trouble or something. Maybe even an illusion of him trying to climb the wall or running from the guards. Or a burning house. That's where the efreeti might be able to help. If it liked mischief, maybe it could cause enough ruckus to help him get through. If only there were more people on his side.

And then the efreeti hit a nerve. Screw it. I'm making a wish.

"I wish for another image of myself to use as a distraction for any who might try to keep me from getting out."

KimZahn was silent for a moment, seemingly stroking his non-existant beard as he considered his 'master's' request.

"Another image for yourself to look at? Is that what you wish for? No, don't answer that. I'll 'grant' it." he said, his tone full of mischief and excitement, with a solid idea of what he wanted to do appearing fully in his head.

The bracelet hums for a few moments, building up energy as it vibrates on Zane's wrist...and then, everything went white.

With a huge burst of energy, an opaque sphere of pure, undulated magic poured forth, devouring everything in its path, expending outwards until it barely touched the outer stones of the checkpoint...and then it was gone, revealing what exactly the spell did.

Every living thing the spell touched become a perfect copy of Zane, be it elves, humans, dwarves...even cats and mice were not spared, though their minds remained their own.

"Wish complete. Have fun with it." KimZahn said smugly.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Greenwing Drake - It Just Hit the Fan

"... close the gates." He says, still invisible. "This is marqued agent Greenwing Drake of House Astrine. Until the illusions are sorted out, no one enters or leaves this gate."

His detection is now fouled up, since literally everyone will have illusion magic on them and he can't afford the time it would take to identify each one. If I was the thief, I'd try climbing over the walls invisibly while everyone is distracted. he thinks to himself. He gathers up a double handful of dirt and begins strafing the tops of the walls. To the viewers below, a stream of dirt is blowing down on the walls from thin air.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Maticus grinned and turned only slightly just before saying.
    “Come, let us walk, at least then perhaps it will be harder to listen in on our conversation.”

Maticus adjusted his gauntlet just slightly more before gripping his fingers and after a moment of confirmation passed he began his walk deeper into the market. Whether he was to be followed or not was on chance and assumption. Nonetheless Maticus would look back and begin talking if he saw the large man that called himself Zhin.
    “I heard you yelling of an item, a bracelet of magical quality. Not the most subtle way to look for something, but it ‘can’ get some things done” he grips his hand out like as to grab someone's neck, keeping within his personal space. “But there’s always a problem with finding such a sought out item.. It’s never as simple as breaking through a door and demanding that they give it to you.” Maticus allowed a rather rare and horribly hoarse chuckle from his throat to escape.

He stopped looked back at Zhin crossing his arms again and awaiting for any sort of response.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Zhin of the Heaven Clan, to Maticus Grasp
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Calicade View Post
    Maticus grinned and turned only slightly just before saying.
    “Come, let us walk, at least then perhaps it will be harder to listen in on our conversation.”

Maticus adjusted his gauntlet just slightly more before gripping his fingers and after a moment of confirmation passed he began his walk deeper into the market. Whether he was to be followed or not was on chance and assumption. Nonetheless Maticus would look back and begin talking if he saw the large man that called himself Zhin.
    “I heard you yelling of an item, a bracelet of magical quality. Not the most subtle way to look for something, but it ‘can’ get some things done” he grips his hand out like as to grab someone's neck, keeping within his personal space. “But there’s always a problem with finding such a sought out item.. It’s never as simple as breaking through a door and demanding that they give it to you.” Maticus allowed a rather rare and horribly hoarse chuckle from his throat to escape.

He stopped looked back at Zhin crossing his arms again and awaiting for any sort of response.

Zhin turns. "I see, then. We seek the same object... most curious indeed. I care not how we find it, and I care not why you find it, so long as I may do with it what I wish, after it is found... to destroy." His spines shift ever so slightly, pushing outward, forward, ready to attack and kill. After a moment of concentration, they relax, and he seems slicked-back almost.

"That means I must ask... do you have a plan? Do you know who has it?" This man is prepared... very prepared. A most welcome asset, and, perhaps...

even a friend.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

28. - Top - End - #148

Replying as GM to Elif

Noon comes and goes and still no contact becomes apparent. The tavern becomes busier as lunch traffic moves in. Many unsavory characters are now frequenting the tables nearby.
    As the minutes tick by, Elif's patience reaches it's breaking point. She stands with a huff, her face set in a grim scowl as she walks briskly back to her room. Fine... let them play their game... she thinks to herself, entering her room and... wait, what's that? On the bed rests a folder, as ink-splattered as the note. Cautiously, the catfolk picks it up, scrutinizing it before revealing it's contents: dossiers on her target, a thief named Zane, as well as 'complications', a Mr. Greenwing and Irena. A shadow of a smile played across her lips as she finished the briefing.

"Well... this seems deeper than usual," she mutters to herself. She had heard rumors of the mysterious drake man of House Austine. This would be a challenge indeed. Stowing the folder in her satchel Elif returned to the tavern, eyes glancing around until she happened upon what she wants: two familiar thugish faces sitting at a table by the door. They were regulars at the fighting ring that seemed keen on catching each of her performances. "I'm looking for someone," she announces curtly, boldly taking a seat at their table. "Zane, small time thief who made a heist last night. Know anything?" Though she keeps her voice low, her face is set in a hard domineering scowl.
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2012-09-10 at 01:17 PM.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Tyrus to Sarah
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking down at the expanse unfolding in front of her, Sarah cannot help but be amazed by the quiet perfection of it all. Brunsgrove was a relatively small town, but there was something clean about it. Everything here shone, despite the ever-prevalent grime of the world. Lowering her hood once again, Sarah stretches her back slowly as the wagon begins to slow. Up ahead, the structures that make up the town begin to approach. She looks immediately for an inn, climbing off when the vehicle gets close enough.

"Thank you. I will be -" Stopping once she realizes that the caravan driver was all but asleep, Sarah shakes her head silently. The man had been professional, but she wouldn't be all that surprised to find him in a gutter the next day. From the wagon, she takes her satchel with her traveling gear - they hadn't allowed her to bring all that much with her. Of course, her purse was bulging with Asaren marks. She would need all of it, they had said. Approaching the nearest inn, she hesitates before entering. What kind of protocol was there to spending the night within the cities of Asarenholm? Passing through the entrance-way, and noting the price of a room for a night, she leaves the appropriate amount of gold on the bar before climbing upstairs. They would collect it, she reasoned. Right now Sarah's focus was on one thing: running a bath and getting cleaned off. As she runs the water, she throws her satchel on the mattress and begins to prepare herself. The water is suitably warm, and after several minutes of furious scrubbing she begins to see her original skin color once again. The suds of lye around her are actually quite soothing, softly sinking into her pores. Lying back, Sarah finds herself thinking of the suburb of Loseptos, where she was raised. Everything there was dirty, not like here. The mud and the sand got everywhere - there was no escaping it. She smiles slightly, remembering playing in the streets with her "cousins". Filthy, unabashed, naive. They didn't care that the elders were suppressed by the guard, or that as members of Tibur Aujir, they were accorded the rights of slaves. There was so little that perturbed them - their existence was the mud, the stone, and the sun. Yes, it was different here. Brunsgrove was certainly clean, but Sarah could already feel the remoteness that came with it. There, she had had family. Here, her only company was the agent on her trail. She grasps for the last of the dirt as it floats through the bathwater. It slips through her fingers, disappearing down the drain.
    Tyrus watched Sarah as she left the caravan and directly went to the nearest inn. He observed how automatic it was for her to stage her base of operations. She had been trained well. The sign on the front of the Inn marked it as “The Lantern’s Eye Inn”. A strange name for an inn, he thought mildly. He supposed each nation had its own little quirks. Asarenholm was just chock full of them. Tyrus observed Sarah drop gold on the counter and then go upstairs. He brought his hand to his brow and sighed. It was good it was earlier in the day, but that tactic would get her into trouble should she continue it. He scribbled it into his notebook, adding it to the list of things to advise her on when they next contacted her. He swiveled the view around to look at the common room as Sarah headed upstairs. Fortunately, one of the slave servers had seen her place the money. Oh…wait. Not slaves. Quirks indeed.

Sarah went to a room and placed her only bag on the bed, and then turned toward an adjoining tub and began running water into it. The place must have been built by gnomes or dwarves, to have running water, instead of heated buckets. This wasn’t your average inn, it seemed. Just as Sarah began to “prepare to get in” the picture cut out. Tyrus’ face flashed with annoyance. He was not used to being denied something. It was her only demand before taking the mission, and while infuriating, it was a small price to pay. He stalked off. It would likely be a bit before the image would return. This would at least give him a chance to stretch his legs and rest his eyes. He called in someone else to relieve him, and instructed them to call him back should the picture return before he did.

KimZahn
    Spoiler
    Show
    KimZahn was silent for a moment, seemingly stroking his non-existant beard as he considered his 'master's' request.

"Another image for yourself to look at? Is that what you wish for? No, don't answer that. I'll 'grant' it." he said, his tone full of mischief and excitement, with a solid idea of what he wanted to do appearing fully in his head.

The bracelet hums for a few moments, building up energy as it vibrates on Zane's wrist...and then, everything went white.

With a huge burst of energy, an opaque sphere of pure, undulated magic poured forth, devouring everything in its path, expending outwards until it barely touched the outer stones of the checkpoint...and then it was gone, revealing what exactly the spell did.

Every living thing the spell touched become a perfect copy of Zane, be it elves, humans, dwarves...even cats and mice were not spared, though their minds remained their own.

"Wish complete. Have fun with it." KimZahn said smugly.

Greenwing Drake
    Spoiler
    Show

"... close the gates." He says, still invisible. "This is marqued agent Greenwing Drake of House Astrine. Until the illusions are sorted out, no one enters or leaves this gate."

His detection is now fouled up, since literally everyone will have illusion magic on them and he can't afford the time it would take to identify each one. If I was the thief, I'd try climbing over the walls invisibly while everyone is distracted. he thinks to himself. He gathers up a double handful of dirt and begins strafing the tops of the walls. To the viewers below, a stream of dirt is blowing down on the walls from thin air.
    Zane was cursing. There goes that plan. He wanted one illusion, not…Gods…hundreds? It was near impossible to move around without bumping into people now, but no one seemed to notice as he weaved through the shocked crowd. They were a bit preoccupied with the fact that everyone looked like him. Some Zane’s were gnawing on their hands as they passed, others crawling around on the ground. One Zane bit another on the ear, and the victim let out an eerie scream - eerie because it sounded like Zane’s voice.

“Wait. They sound like me? What did you…? These are either really good illusions or you’ve actually changed them into me.” He glanced around an each of them had a bag like his, clothes like his, even down to the bracelet on his left wrist. Well, if anyone didn’t know what I looked like, they do now.

Then the brawling began. Ahead the gates had closed. It seemed the right response after an entire area of people began to look miraculously like a known fugitive. People were protesting at the gate. Some were fighting with each other. People were confused, scared, and angry. They reacted accordingly. He saw himself lying unconscious on the ground. Another of him was hitting someone in the head with a club. Other Zane’s were running in every direction, hoping to outdistance the madness. Some of the guards were trying to wrangle up a few Zanes, but at the moment it seemed futile.

Well that cuts out the “thread the needle” approach, he thought with a frown. He supposed that crossing the stitch would have to do. It was a simple switch of the plan. Instead of sneaking through the gate, he’d take the place of what he’d wanted the illusion to do and climb the wall. As he climbed, he muffled a cough from some dust that must have been kicked up from the crowd. He picked a place a bit away from the gate, where there were no guards around. Still, he wasn’t sure if there were some sort of enchantments on the wall, so he was careful as he climbed up to the top. Likely if there was, they would be dedicated to keeping people out but one could never be too careful. As he stepped onto the walkway, he noticed too late the loose earth on the stone. A footprint bloomed under his invisible foot.

Wonderful.

Replying as Drakain to Elif
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the minutes tick by, Elif's patience reaches it's breaking point. She stands with a huff, her face set in a grim scowl as she walks briskly back to her room. Fine... let them play their game... she thinks to herself, entering her room and... wait, what's that? On the bed rests a folder, as ink-splattered as the note. Cautiously, the catfolk picks it up, scrutinizing it before revealing it's contents: dossiers on her target, a thief named Zane, as well as 'complications', a Mr. Greenwing and Irena. A shadow of a smile played across her lips as she finished the briefing.

"Well... this seems deeper than usual," she mutters to herself. She had heard rumors of the mysterious drake man of House Austine. This would be a challenge indeed. Stowing the folder in her satchel Elif returned to the tavern, eyes glancing around until she happened upon what she wants: two familiar thugish faces sitting at a table by the door. They were regulars at the fighting ring that seemed keen on catching each of her performances. "I'm looking for someone," she announces curtly, boldly taking a seat at their table. "Zane, small time thief who made a heist last night. Know anything?" Though she keeps her voice low, her face is set in a hard domineering scowl.

Work was slow in the slums. Didn’t used to be this way. Nah, there was a time where crime was much more rampant and organized. Now that the council had cut off the head of several leading groups in the slums, it was getting to be pretty hard for lowlifes like Drakain. The fighting pits were still around, so the gambling was good, but even those were being slowly pushed out of city. One of the large pits had already moved to Brunsgrove, and it had taken its toll. Honest criminals everywhere had to get real jobs and a darn shame that was. Taking a long swig of ale (who cares what time it was?) he slumped back in his chair. As the mug fell from his gaze, a catfolk vixen from the fighter pits appeared. She was looking at him as she approached.

“Zane…only thing I know about any Zane is that he stepped on an anthill. All the gates into the city proper have been slowed to a crawl, as they check each person for him. Apparently they think he’s still in the city.” He scratched the back of his head, quelling an itch. “But if he stole from the council like they say, I’d be far away from the city by now.” There would be tons of people Drakain would never want hunting him in that situation. “Still,” he added, “I hope he ain’t. I’d like to shake the guy’s hand for pulling a fast one on those guys. Council needed to be taken down a peg.”
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-09-14 at 07:02 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Zane was cursing. There goes that plan. He wanted one illusion, not…Gods…hundreds? It was near impossible to move around without bumping into people now, but no one seemed to notice as he weaved through the shocked crowd. They were a bit preoccupied with the fact that everyone looked like him. Some Zane’s were gnawing on their hands as they passed, others crawling around on the ground. One Zane bit another on the ear, and the victim let out an eerie scream - eerie because it sounded like Zane’s voice.

“Wait. They sound like me? What did you…? These are either really good illusions or you’ve actually changed them into me.” He glanced around an each of them had a bag like his, clothes like his, even down to the bracelet on his left wrist. Well, if anyone didn’t know what I looked like, they do now.
    Then the brawling began. Ahead the gates had closed. It seemed the right response after an entire area of people began to look miraculously like a known fugitive. People were protesting at the gate. Some were fighting with each other. People were confused, scared, and angry. They reacted accordingly. He saw himself lying unconscious on the ground. Another of him was hitting someone in the head with a club. Other Zane’s were running in every direction, hoping to outdistance the madness. Some of the guards were trying to wrangle up a few Zanes, but at the moment it seemed futile. Well that cuts out the “thread the needle” approach, he thought with a frown. He supposed that crossing the stitch would have to do. It was a simple switch of the plan. Instead of sneaking through the gate, he’d take the place of what he’d wanted the illusion to do and climb the wall. As he climbed, he muffled a cough from some dust that must have been kicked up from the crowd. He picked a place a bit away from the gate, where there were no guards around. Still, he wasn’t sure if there were some sort of enchantments on the wall, so he was careful as he climbed up to the top. Likely if there was, they would be dedicated to keeping people out but one could never be too careful. As he stepped onto the walkway, he noticed too late the loose earth on the stone. A footprint bloomed under his invisible foot. Wonderful.
    As soon as a footprint appears in the dust, a silvery line of energy shoots down from the air above. Zane's body is wracked with pain as it strikes his foot and his invisibility is destroyed. "Gotcha!" says the flying green dragonman as he appears out of thin air.

Sometimes, the more powerful one's magic, the less they thought about the simple things.

"If you will surrender now and turn over all your stolen goods, you will get a fair trial... one which would take a week at least to set up. Plenty of time for you to escape with your life. If not, I kill you right here and now." Come on, summon that efreet a second time. I want to see it with my own eyes.