New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LI: FE

Chapter 1 of II is now published, should appear on FiMFiction soonish too. Let me know what you think, even if I'm not going to make any major changes at this point.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Yeah, it mostly seems cuz of time limitations, I could have though of like 3 ways to try to get.

...TBH I still like the falcon better than tank
    You have learnt nothing, Grasshopper.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys. I think I shall celebrate my return with this picture. Its a reference to another game I play all in one. Enjoy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-08-22 at 11:55 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Chapter 1 of II is now published, should appear on FiMFiction soonish too. Let me know what you think, even if I'm not going to make any major changes at this point.
    bit of fridge logic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    if she's dead, what going to happen to what she just drank? not important, really, but i mean she's no longer performing critical biological functions. this has practical implications >.>
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    ...Railguns and other kinetic penetrators are still very much in use.

...overpenetration...
    At which point I have to ask, "who are you facing that's using such wimpy KEWs/KKVs/insert your favorite acronym here-s that the shallower angle matters?" Energy weapons don't care about deflection, and judging by your description, the J-thingies are not going to fight anything with kinetics that care about any sort of armor they can use, so you're still better off sticking the same mass of armor on the one face.

((My answer to this question would be "shut up it looks a whole lot better this way", but to each their own.))
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2012-08-22 at 12:03 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You have learnt nothing, Grasshopper.
    I didn't learn anything!

....Really, the falcon earned that post, it's hard looking down when you're still struggling a race against others, sure, tank won cuz he showed loyalty and helped her out, but still, the falcon just goes over that for me
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-08-22 at 12:10 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    At which point I have to ask, "who are you facing that's using such wimpy KEWs/KKVs/insert your favorite acronym here-s that the shallower angle matters?" Energy weapons don't care about deflection, and judging by your description, the J-thingies are not going to fight anything with kinetics that care about any sort of armor they can use, so you're still better off sticking the same mass of armor on the one face.

((My answer to this question would be "shut up it looks a whole lot better this way", but to each their own.))
    You misunderstand my answer a bit. KE weapons are much better at penetrating armour than energy weapons are. I was explaining why the two types are used, because they don't function against the same types of targets. KE weapons verses armour still takes sloping angles into account ('cos y'know, when kinetic energy is involved, physics still applies) - you're confusing my mention of overpenetration (which is what happens when you shoot the wrong target with an AP round) in explaining why you don't always use KE because it's a better armour penetrator with what happens when you shoot the right target (i.e an armoured target).

Overpenetration comes into play when you're talking about shooting a Humvee or something with a APFSDS round, as opposed to a, say, M1A2. In the latter case, all the round's energy will be put into punching through the armour and causing some damage on the way in (and maybe out). In the former, because it's a KE round, you can't deal more damage to the vehicle with all that energy, since it's just going to pop out the other side, because it's all focussed into thumping one spot really hard. KE rounds aren't explosive (pretty much by definition), so most of the shell's energy is wasted in the thumping part. You can cause as much damage with your dirty great hole to a Humvee as to an Abrams with a APFSDS round, but you can't cause more. Because the AP, armour-piercing part doesn't matter if there's no armour to penetrate.

Energy and chemical weapons (like the aforetioned HEAT of HESH (High Explosive Anti-Tank and High Explosive Suqash Head)) can cause more damage, because their effort is in delivering all their energy to the target, but more "spread out" (as it were).

Let me explain this in terms in the game, because this is derived by the authors (from first principles) to model actual armoured combat, and might be more illustrative for you as gamers! They model it, for WW2 and modern, anyway as having two values for armour on each bit, one verses penetrators (KE) and one verses chemical (CE). Armour has a class assigned to it (1-20, essentially) which corresponds to approximately the thickness of rolled harmoginous steel (but the value for a given vehicle also takes things like hull shape into account), and guns likewise have a penetration value (which is either KE or CE) of the same. When you hit, you subtract the armour vlaue from the gun value, which gives you a number - you look this up on a table, where the value ranges from -3 to +3, and then roll to see what damage (in any) you do1. It's a bit like a critical hit table - the higher you roll the better.

If you end with the weapon minus armour being 3 or more, if you have a KE weapon, you just roll on it, because it doesn't matter how much better your gun is than the armour, because the excess is wasted on overpenetration. If you're using a CE weapon (or an energy weapon), you add the difference less three to the dice roll, which makes it much more likely you'll knobble something. Do you follow?

What it means is, you use kinetic weapons to attack things with heavy armour (relative to your gun) - largely because their armour is likely to be lower against KE weapons - which gives you a fair chance of knobbling something. If your gun is better than their armour, though, you're better off using a CE or energy weapon, because it'll be more likely to knock the vehclie out.

So the Jalyrkieons still need to armour against KE weapons as best they can, as KE is "harder" to armour against, so they want every bit they can get, because it matters, even against fairly big KE guns. Conversely, it's "easier" to have ahigher rating verses CE or energy attacks, but if your armour is simply not got enough strength to withstand a missile or beam hit, you're just kinda buggered, because once it gets a more than a little bit "better than you" you're so much more likely to be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar
    Which would assume that I didn't think about these things during the design stage - which I definately do.

1Note that in this case "damage" in not hit points or anything, it's like "immobilised" or "neutralised" and such - you kill a vehicle when you get a result that blows it up, or the cumulative effects on the combined morale/ammunition/combat effectiveness increases take you to the point the crew gives up and goes home.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-08-22 at 01:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    bit of fridge logic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    if she's dead, what going to happen to what she just drank? not important, really, but i mean she's no longer performing critical biological functions. this has practical implications >.>
    Things you don't want to think about too much:
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's going to have very thin ... excretions, I guess. Since the water isn't absorbed by the body, it's just going to go right through, along with everything she eats (which will be largely undigested).

The real answer is, of course, magic

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

*Comes back from backpacking trip in the mountains*

*Checks to see if thread is still here*

Yeeeeeep. You guys are as ka-razy as ever.

*Slinks away from the terribly fast moving thread*

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Does anybody in Ponythread play Starcraft 2?
    Eeyup. Although like ponythread, I lurk more then I actually play.
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post

(kidnapcuddle)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

I am intrigued. Slightly confused, but intrigued. Everything between the roots and waking up with Luna and Twilight was really unclear, but that seemed intentional.

So... did anyone read mine? I'm still looking for input.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    I am intrigued. Slightly confused, but intrigued. Everything between the roots and waking up with Luna and Twilight was really unclear, but that seemed intentional.

Planning to, but my pony fic reading time is pretty much constrained to evenings.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post

Intentional indeed. At least if you mean you're not entirely sure what's going on yet

Got a link? I may add it to my reading list

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Planning to, but my pony fic reading time is pretty much constrained to evenings.
    Intentional indeed. At least if you mean you're not entirely sure what's going on yet

Got a link? I may add it to my reading list
    Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get buried by the thread.
    Here it is again.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Troll in the Playground

-physics stuff-
    -game stuff-
    I'm aware of the physics involved. You gave me the impression, however, that any serious threat you'll come up against will have K-guns strong enough to overkill (or overpenetrate, which is probably a better result than getting the full brunt of the gun!) anyway. But if you say that the little bit of benefit counts, I'll believe you.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey, psst. Ponyfolk.
    I found where the tentacled abomination in the cheap suit has been hiding. You don't need to know where. I did bring back a photo you may be interested in though, my inquisitive little ponies.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not entirely sure what it's is, some kind of Ponydroid?
    It's just floating around like that in a tank, don't think he's finished it yet.
    Blunt, find him. We must huggle him into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    This made the Apple family cry...
    Spoiler
    Show

O_o WTF?
    Spoiler
    Show

Ooookay, moving on, here's Apple Bloom tank, with both versions (phased-plasma cannons and rockets).

Spoiler
    Show

Not a bad day's graft, actually; from nowt but the germ of an idea that came this very morning to completion all in one go; I'm quite chuffed with myself.

Which I will be lending to Apple family when they go to "correct" this... oversight...

Edit: have base-texted Jal infantry, so pictures should follow 'pon the morrow, all being well!
    I think I like the rocket version more than the plasma cannon, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    I didn't learn anything!

Luka, I am so proud of you: you just referenced the show in a non-ironic fashion. You brony you.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I think I like the rocket version more than the plasma cannon, but that's just my opinion.
    Oh, they're both gonna be in use, I was just showin' 'em both there. Like the Idoex, the model will come with both turrets, so you can use either. They both have their advantages - the phased-plasma turret is better for dealing with shielded targets, but has less penetration which the rocket version has good penetration, but isn't so good and dropping shields and obviously has more limited ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    I'm aware of the physics involved. You gave me the impression, however, that any serious threat you'll come up against will have K-guns strong enough to overkill (or overpenetrate, which is probably a better result than getting the full brunt of the gun!) anyway. But if you say that the little bit of benefit counts, I'll believe you.
    Confining it to game terms, even a 1-point difference in armour can make a lot of difference. At gun-armour of 0, your get "no effect" on 8 or less on D20; if yo're on the -1 column (meaning your armour is 1-point better than his gun), "no effect" is twelve or less; which is a big change. (Despite the game having a 1-20 armour/gun scale, in practise, there's only really seven armour types: "virtually invulnerable" (at -3 or less), to "average" (at 0) to "yer dead, mate" at +3 or more.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-08-22 at 02:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post

Ponythread: The Neverending RP (ahhhh-ah ahhhh-ah ahhhh-ahhh)
    [SPOILER]You know what, let's review how your cult's other supporters are doing, shall we?
    We have the seaponies of Hoofsmouth...

Spoiler
    Show

SKRAAAAAAAH!
    Oh call upon the sea monster
    When you're in distress!
    Atomic as can be monster
    Eating those cultists, yes oh yes!

Then we have the other cultists you dragooned into service...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now tell me, since we infected you with the retrovirus, have you been experiencing any unexplained mutations?
    BLEARGHSKNARRL!
    I see. Igor, the retrovirus still needs some tweaking, READY THE NEXT BATCH OF CULTISTS!

And let's not forget all of those outposts you helped build...
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmmmm, the detonation still needs to be about 20% bigger. Ah well, onto the next outpost!
    Hellfire, Hellfire, There Burning For My Sins!
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...Pity about the seaponies. Charnel wanted to see them.

You know, Boffenspark, why I have not reacted at all? Fun fact: what Nightcore thinks are major headquarters are not. In fact, most of our settlements are under major cites. Not like that would stop you from blasting them, but you should note that there are other powers in the world that would get angry if you shot at them.

"Meanwhile"

Its......it's cold. So very cold.

"Also meanwhile"

Hah! Take that you stupid beast!

Crack-GWAARRRRRRROOOOOOO

Yeah, see the head of your big friend? Who else wants some!?

Spoiler
    Show

You realise of course, that in the normal course of events you have just described the CAT's prefered prey? I have personally purged many cults just like this one you describe, in order to sieze their magical artifacts, objects of power, trans-dimensional power sources and Arcane Libraries.

You know what makes it so beautiful as a tactic? If you do it right, people help you. You turn up above a world, declare that you will expunge the foul forces of whatever petty demon is currently masquerading as a dark god and set to work. Give it a couple of weeks and you invariably recieve the assistance of the self proclaimed forces of light. You take the Demons toys, to dispose of them of course of course, and they send you away with their undying thanks and often further gifts.

At least, that's how we would normally operate. Provided you don't try and force the issue, this needn't become difficult. My priorities have changed.

You can keep your Dread Cookies, too. I'll give you some advice for nothing, however, little Undead.

If you and your cult would be as a plague unto Ponykind, then you will cause untold destruction. But eventually the body responds and purges the infection or it dies and in doing so takes the infection with it.

Understand your priorities, Silent Night.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will take your advice in stride, but you talk to me about priorties?

You insult me by thinking that I would ever let loose on the cult enough for it to rampage across equestria like a shadowy Centaur-led hoard. No, the fact that I assulted Canterlot is bad enough. Do you know what happenes when entities like myself willingly exposes themselves? The cult supports itself, and by exent it's allies, by surrounding itself with proxies and commanding them to do your bidding. The utter arrogance Boffenspark shows simply shows to me that, eventualy, he will end up like other stupidly foolish beings with to much personal power will: dead.

Painted Jalyrkieons (finally!) as promised.

Spoiler
    Show
    16RLM Idoex Reconnaissance Buggy

The 16RLM Idoex Reconnaissance Buggy eptiomises Jalyrkieon battle strategy: fast, flexibile and reliant on speed and manouverability over armour. It’s speed is helped considerably by the Jalyrkieon’s mastery of gravitic and telekinetic technology, and off-shoot of their own abilities. It is equipped with boosters, which, in addition to providing a short upward lift, also locally reduce the effect of gravity on the vehicle, allowing it to “hop” a surprising distance, and even extricate itself from obstacles.

The Idoex is typically fitted with one of two turrets. The first carries an improved sensor array, above a disintegrator cannon. This version is best in it’s scouting role, though despite the disintegrator’s fair power, it lacks a significant punch.

The second varient has no additional sensors, but instead a larger phased-plasma cannon. As with the starfleet, these weapons form the mainstay of the Jalyrkieon ground force. They fire a packet of phased-plasma contained in electromagnetic shell. While not as coherent – and so not as potent – as, say, plasma-pulse weaponry, the Jalyrkieon’s superior containment technology enables them to fire at substantially greater ranges, exceeding many conventional mid-range beam weapons. Further, the weapon systems are relatively small and highly efficient in terms of power. The accuracy of individual blasts is not great, as the contaiment field tends to degrade somewhat eratically. However, with a very good rate of fire, and with klarge batteries, or in the case of vehicles, multiple barrels, the amount of firepower they put out more than makes up for this shortcoming. The biggest disadvantage is, like many blaster weapons, the lack of localised penetrative power, meaning it is impossible to punch a hole through shields with concentrated fire. The discharge is typically a lilac or pink bolt.

With the improved efficiency of the Jalyrkieon’s phased-plasma technology, the weapon packs more punch, has greater range and is vastly better against shielded targets. This later version now sees more common use, despite it’s lesser efficiency as a scout.

Both turrets supplement the Idoex’s firepower at close range with a coaxual missile tube for the TVX-4 Rerif missile. The tube contains only a single missile, but it can be reloaded by bringing the turret to the forward position and rotating the tube fully vertical. The “blister” underneath then will open, allowing a maniplative tractor beam system to reload the launcher. The Idoex has six reloads under armour.

The Idoex also has a graviton crusher for point defense.

33RLG-9 Swebayen Command Vehicle

The 33RLG-9 Swebayen Command Vehicle is one of the older designs in the Jalkyrkion Hierarchy Army, and has been refitted several times. As a designated command vehicle, it is not a main combat unit, and so does not share the usual Jalyrkieon vehicle’s streamlining, being essentially an armoured box. But, even so, it capable of making a fair turn of speed, and has the typical booster system of all Jalyrkeion vehicles.

The Swebayen’s primary job is local command and control, for which it is well equipped with good sensor and communications arrays, and a solid ECM suite. It has an extensible sensor mast, giving it a safe way to aquire it’s own sensor locks for both itself (and it’s primary weapons of twin TOO-1 Tonsha Missile Launchers) and it’s subordinate vehicles.

For secondary weapons, it has two side-mounted, retractible phased-plasma cannons for close defense, and two phased-plasma point defence arrays for anti-missile and anti-infantry defense.

It is, however, not heavily armoured, and so generally sits in a safe location at the perimetre of the engagement location.

31RTU Tevqolath Main Battle Tank

The 31RTU Tevqolath Main Battle Tank is fast and agile for a main battle tank, rivaling even some grav tanks in terms of mobility. The boosters on the underside, as on all Jalyrkieon tracked and wheeled vehicles, combined with Jalyrkion telekinetic technology, allow it to “hop”, moving it over obstacles and even make crude pop-up attacks. This is combined with surprisingly heavy armour than would be expected from such a vehicle.

Part of the reason is that the tank’s primary weapons are both fairly light in terms of both physical weight and energy consumption. The large and intimidating multi-barrel phased-plasma cannons draw significantly less energy, even at full output, than the two smaller energy torpedoe launchers mounted between them. The phased-plasma weapons have relative poor penetration, but the high volume of fire means they are very effective at shield stripping.

The two energy torpedo launchers are designed for ansynchornous fire. This gets around the typical problem of recharge times, since one will be charging while the other is firing. While this removes the potential one-shot “punch” of being able to fire both at once, in a ground-based environment, this is less important than being able to make sustained fire.

Finally, the Tevqolath has a graviton crusher array for anti-missile defense, designed to catch, re-direct and/or crush incoming missiles.

31RTD Shyroen Main Battle Tank

The 31RTD Shyroen Main Battle Tank is a large and powerful vehicle. While not as fast as the Tevqolath it supplements, it is still much quicker than most non-grav MBTs. The Shyroen’s role is primarily anti-heavy armour, a purpose served by the two huge energy torpedo cannons mounted on the turret. These weapons are not “torpedoes” in the conventional sense; they are energy weapons that use a similar technology to the phased-plasma batteries, though in this case the energies are much more unstable, and the containment is via imparted force-field, rather than electromagnetism. Energy torpedoes require a large amount of energy to charge to fire, and the containment fields give them only average range. Within that range, however, the damage they can inflict is impressive. Their rate of fire is, perforce, slow; though they can fire a lesser charge as faster speeds, the power is dispropotionally weaker. Energy torpedoes emit light in the green spectra the more powerful they become, and blue-shifting as they lose power and coherance. The smaller charges thus tend to be more typically a turqoise colour on firing.

As with the Tevqolath, the Shyroen’s two launchers are geared for asyncronous fire, circumventing somewhat the problem of low-rate of fire.

However, energy torpedoes perform poorly against shields, so the Shyroen also mounts two multibarrel phased-plasma cannons. These weapons, mounted on sponsons, also have a much greater elevation, and provided some much-needed shield-stripping ability. A single TVX-4 Rerif missile tube sits atop each gun, providing some short-range punch, though as these are not reloadable outside of an engineering bay, a one-shot one. Finally, the Shyroen has a graviton crusher array for point-defense.

The vehicle also has a side-mounted improved sensor array, giving it an excellent targeting system for making the most of it’s weapons. Typically, they are also equipped with a mine plough, since their hull shape is the most optimal for this purpose, and the lighter underside of Jalyrkeion vehicles due to the boosters present) makes them more vulnerable.

When dealing with ultra-heavy targets, such as a Cybertank Eradicator, Shyroens are often teamed with Tevqolaths, with the latter providing the fastest shield stripping, and the former providing the killing punch.

34RTD-1 Shyroen Engineering Tank

The 34RTD-1 Shyroen variant is an engineering vehicle, specialising in clearance and demolition. Essentially, it is a slightly internally modified Shyroen hull, with slighter lighter armour and a new turret. The most obvious feature is the telescopic saw-blade, which can extend a considerable distance from the vehicle. The whole saw-blade itself rotates on its crane, allowing it to cut vertically or horizontally as required. While concievably a lethal close-range weapon in it’s own right, the saw-blade is in fact most often used for clearing forests or other similar obstacles quickly, so that the Jalyrkieons can maximise their speed and agility advantages.

This task is helped by the two telekinetic enhancers on either side of the saw blade. They function like tractor beam,s but are in actuality a magnifier for the natural telekinetic ability of the Jalyrkieons, an analogue of a robotic arm, but with far greater precision. Though it only allows the Jalyrkieon controller two telekinetic “limbs”, there is a fairly minimal loss of control, allowing them to do a varient of engineering tasks easily and safely, without even leaving the vehicle.

38RTR-3 Okam Armour Personnel Carrier

The 38RTR-3 Okam Armour Personnel Carrier, named after a type of aquatic predator on Plenadi, the Jalyrkieon homeworld is the standard Jalyrkieon APC. It is slightly more than a battle-taxi, but is not a full IFV. It is fast and very agile, and, in concert with it’s boosters, capable of driving even over water for distances of up to two miles. It is moderatley armoured for a vehicle of it’s size, comparible with most heavier IFVs.

Due to the larger volume of the Jalyrkion form, an Okam only carries one squad of four Jalyrkieons, and are typically found operating in groups of three.

It is armed with a shrapnel cannon, which fires a munition that explodes into a cluster of very highly accelerated, superheated fragments in the proximity of enemy targets. The weapon has an extremely good range and density of fire, though it’s penetration is only moderate. Early models also carried a coaxual light support weapon mount, either a plasmatic repeater cannon or a phased-plasma gun. However, as the main gun was generally preferrable in almost all circumstances they would be used, those weapon rarely saw usage.They were later removed in later variants, and replaced with a point defense graviton crusher, to provide some improved missile defence.

Jalyrkieon Trooper Squad

Modern Jalyrkieon soldiers are noted for being very heavily armed for infantry, many carrying the equivalent of two rifles, which they can use simultaneously. The heavy powered armour compensates somehwat for the fact they cannot take cover quite as easily, due to their larger profile. This also means that they operate in smaller squads, usually in groups of four. However, the amount of firepower they can wield, in concert with their armour and own very high racial endurance and damage resistance, means that a squad of four Jalyrkieons is often equal to twice as many hominoids in terms of firepower and effectiveness.

With their greater ability to carry munitions as well, due to their body shape lending itself well to portaging, they can also carry a consummate supply of power cells or ammunition. Consequently, anti-armour weapons are also seen in greater numbers in infantry units.

Most squads break into two fireteams of two, one with a TZD-3 Azorn Missile Launcher and six reloads and three rifles, and the other with two rifles and a heavy support weapon, typically a heavy phased plasma cannon.

A couple more pictures showing the size against Rarity and a D20...

So tiny. Such tiny, tiny ponies with such very big guns.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-08-22 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

*snerk*

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Unicron Pony?! Planetarily Epic!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Hey guys. I think I shall celebrate my return with this picture. Its a reference to another game I play all in one. Enjoy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, which game? I'm behind the times by about 9 months.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Unicron Pony?! Planetarily Epic!

So, which game? I'm behind the times by about 9 months.
    WoW im guessing. or possibly some other MMO, they're all functionally warcraft at this point.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    (kidnapcuddle)
    Lixie~~~ :3

Your avatar. Seriously. It is the best.

Also, everyone is cultists, apparently? In pony? How did this happen? D:

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Banned

Crack Theory Time;
    Pinkie Pie was never an Earth Pony.
    She is infact, a changeling. She was always a changeling. She was never anything other than a changeling and there was never a pinkie pie who wasn't a changeling.
    The only pony she is imitating is her own ponified persona. She's basically a changeling with a radical new way of doing things, she's gone in and earned the love of an entire town legitimately on her own, through her genuine love of making people smile. As a result, despite being a lot younger than Chrysalis and probably of a more minor variety (closer to the normal changeling soldiers) she is overflowing with so much love energy that it spills out as pinkie sense and the ability to intercept Rainbow Dash by simply knowing where she'll end up, etc.

She didn't spot the other changelings because she hasn't been around her own kind since she left The Rock Farm.
    1) I've considered retroactively convincing the commodore to let me deaden the output of the coldbeam, put the Ponithid into a hibernative sleep and allow it to recover nutrients underground, in a manner convincing enough to prevent any argument, but everything has its time, an everything dies.

Poni died making a point, for her beliefs. That has weight. Her contrived survival would achieve far less. I am not in the business of diminishing the historical traction of my allies.

2) love it. Though she is not a single changeling, but a small family group. That's how she pops up EVERYWHERE, and why stuff is stashed around Ponyville.

I play (or rather have played) the single player campaign, with my usual disinterest in all things multiplayer.

Painted Jalyrkieons (finally!) as promised.

Spoiler
    Show
    16RLM Idoex Reconnaissance Buggy

The 16RLM Idoex Reconnaissance Buggy eptiomises Jalyrkieon battle strategy: fast, flexibile and reliant on speed and manouverability over armour. It’s speed is helped considerably by the Jalyrkieon’s mastery of gravitic and telekinetic technology, and off-shoot of their own abilities. It is equipped with boosters, which, in addition to providing a short upward lift, also locally reduce the effect of gravity on the vehicle, allowing it to “hop” a surprising distance, and even extricate itself from obstacles.

The Idoex is typically fitted with one of two turrets. The first carries an improved sensor array, above a disintegrator cannon. This version is best in it’s scouting role, though despite the disintegrator’s fair power, it lacks a significant punch.

The second varient has no additional sensors, but instead a larger phased-plasma cannon. As with the starfleet, these weapons form the mainstay of the Jalyrkieon ground force. They fire a packet of phased-plasma contained in electromagnetic shell. While not as coherent – and so not as potent – as, say, plasma-pulse weaponry, the Jalyrkieon’s superior containment technology enables them to fire at substantially greater ranges, exceeding many conventional mid-range beam weapons. Further, the weapon systems are relatively small and highly efficient in terms of power. The accuracy of individual blasts is not great, as the contaiment field tends to degrade somewhat eratically. However, with a very good rate of fire, and with klarge batteries, or in the case of vehicles, multiple barrels, the amount of firepower they put out more than makes up for this shortcoming. The biggest disadvantage is, like many blaster weapons, the lack of localised penetrative power, meaning it is impossible to punch a hole through shields with concentrated fire. The discharge is typically a lilac or pink bolt.

With the improved efficiency of the Jalyrkieon’s phased-plasma technology, the weapon packs more punch, has greater range and is vastly better against shielded targets. This later version now sees more common use, despite it’s lesser efficiency as a scout.

Both turrets supplement the Idoex’s firepower at close range with a coaxual missile tube for the TVX-4 Rerif missile. The tube contains only a single missile, but it can be reloaded by bringing the turret to the forward position and rotating the tube fully vertical. The “blister” underneath then will open, allowing a maniplative tractor beam system to reload the launcher. The Idoex has six reloads under armour.

The Idoex also has a graviton crusher for point defense.

33RLG-9 Swebayen Command Vehicle

The 33RLG-9 Swebayen Command Vehicle is one of the older designs in the Jalkyrkion Hierarchy Army, and has been refitted several times. As a designated command vehicle, it is not a main combat unit, and so does not share the usual Jalyrkieon vehicle’s streamlining, being essentially an armoured box. But, even so, it capable of making a fair turn of speed, and has the typical booster system of all Jalyrkeion vehicles.

The Swebayen’s primary job is local command and control, for which it is well equipped with good sensor and communications arrays, and a solid ECM suite. It has an extensible sensor mast, giving it a safe way to aquire it’s own sensor locks for both itself (and it’s primary weapons of twin TOO-1 Tonsha Missile Launchers) and it’s subordinate vehicles.

For secondary weapons, it has two side-mounted, retractible phased-plasma cannons for close defense, and two phased-plasma point defence arrays for anti-missile and anti-infantry defense.

It is, however, not heavily armoured, and so generally sits in a safe location at the perimetre of the engagement location.

31RTU Tevqolath Main Battle Tank

The 31RTU Tevqolath Main Battle Tank is fast and agile for a main battle tank, rivaling even some grav tanks in terms of mobility. The boosters on the underside, as on all Jalyrkieon tracked and wheeled vehicles, combined with Jalyrkion telekinetic technology, allow it to “hop”, moving it over obstacles and even make crude pop-up attacks. This is combined with surprisingly heavy armour than would be expected from such a vehicle.

Part of the reason is that the tank’s primary weapons are both fairly light in terms of both physical weight and energy consumption. The large and intimidating multi-barrel phased-plasma cannons draw significantly less energy, even at full output, than the two smaller energy torpedoe launchers mounted between them. The phased-plasma weapons have relative poor penetration, but the high volume of fire means they are very effective at shield stripping.

The two energy torpedo launchers are designed for ansynchornous fire. This gets around the typical problem of recharge times, since one will be charging while the other is firing. While this removes the potential one-shot “punch” of being able to fire both at once, in a ground-based environment, this is less important than being able to make sustained fire.

Finally, the Tevqolath has a graviton crusher array for anti-missile defense, designed to catch, re-direct and/or crush incoming missiles.

31RTD Shyroen Main Battle Tank

The 31RTD Shyroen Main Battle Tank is a large and powerful vehicle. While not as fast as the Tevqolath it supplements, it is still much quicker than most non-grav MBTs. The Shyroen’s role is primarily anti-heavy armour, a purpose served by the two huge energy torpedo cannons mounted on the turret. These weapons are not “torpedoes” in the conventional sense; they are energy weapons that use a similar technology to the phased-plasma batteries, though in this case the energies are much more unstable, and the containment is via imparted force-field, rather than electromagnetism. Energy torpedoes require a large amount of energy to charge to fire, and the containment fields give them only average range. Within that range, however, the damage they can inflict is impressive. Their rate of fire is, perforce, slow; though they can fire a lesser charge as faster speeds, the power is dispropotionally weaker. Energy torpedoes emit light in the green spectra the more powerful they become, and blue-shifting as they lose power and coherance. The smaller charges thus tend to be more typically a turqoise colour on firing.

As with the Tevqolath, the Shyroen’s two launchers are geared for asyncronous fire, circumventing somewhat the problem of low-rate of fire.

However, energy torpedoes perform poorly against shields, so the Shyroen also mounts two multibarrel phased-plasma cannons. These weapons, mounted on sponsons, also have a much greater elevation, and provided some much-needed shield-stripping ability. A single TVX-4 Rerif missile tube sits atop each gun, providing some short-range punch, though as these are not reloadable outside of an engineering bay, a one-shot one. Finally, the Shyroen has a graviton crusher array for point-defense.

The vehicle also has a side-mounted improved sensor array, giving it an excellent targeting system for making the most of it’s weapons. Typically, they are also equipped with a mine plough, since their hull shape is the most optimal for this purpose, and the lighter underside of Jalyrkeion vehicles due to the boosters present) makes them more vulnerable.

When dealing with ultra-heavy targets, such as a Cybertank Eradicator, Shyroens are often teamed with Tevqolaths, with the latter providing the fastest shield stripping, and the former providing the killing punch.

34RTD-1 Shyroen Engineering Tank

The 34RTD-1 Shyroen variant is an engineering vehicle, specialising in clearance and demolition. Essentially, it is a slightly internally modified Shyroen hull, with slighter lighter armour and a new turret. The most obvious feature is the telescopic saw-blade, which can extend a considerable distance from the vehicle. The whole saw-blade itself rotates on its crane, allowing it to cut vertically or horizontally as required. While concievably a lethal close-range weapon in it’s own right, the saw-blade is in fact most often used for clearing forests or other similar obstacles quickly, so that the Jalyrkieons can maximise their speed and agility advantages.

This task is helped by the two telekinetic enhancers on either side of the saw blade. They function like tractor beam,s but are in actuality a magnifier for the natural telekinetic ability of the Jalyrkieons, an analogue of a robotic arm, but with far greater precision. Though it only allows the Jalyrkieon controller two telekinetic “limbs”, there is a fairly minimal loss of control, allowing them to do a varient of engineering tasks easily and safely, without even leaving the vehicle.

38RTR-3 Okam Armour Personnel Carrier

The 38RTR-3 Okam Armour Personnel Carrier, named after a type of aquatic predator on Plenadi, the Jalyrkieon homeworld is the standard Jalyrkieon APC. It is slightly more than a battle-taxi, but is not a full IFV. It is fast and very agile, and, in concert with it’s boosters, capable of driving even over water for distances of up to two miles. It is moderatley armoured for a vehicle of it’s size, comparible with most heavier IFVs.

Due to the larger volume of the Jalyrkion form, an Okam only carries one squad of four Jalyrkieons, and are typically found operating in groups of three.

It is armed with a shrapnel cannon, which fires a munition that explodes into a cluster of very highly accelerated, superheated fragments in the proximity of enemy targets. The weapon has an extremely good range and density of fire, though it’s penetration is only moderate. Early models also carried a coaxual light support weapon mount, either a plasmatic repeater cannon or a phased-plasma gun. However, as the main gun was generally preferrable in almost all circumstances they would be used, those weapon rarely saw usage.They were later removed in later variants, and replaced with a point defense graviton crusher, to provide some improved missile defence.

Jalyrkieon Trooper Squad

Modern Jalyrkieon soldiers are noted for being very heavily armed for infantry, many carrying the equivalent of two rifles, which they can use simultaneously. The heavy powered armour compensates somehwat for the fact they cannot take cover quite as easily, due to their larger profile. This also means that they operate in smaller squads, usually in groups of four. However, the amount of firepower they can wield, in concert with their armour and own very high racial endurance and damage resistance, means that a squad of four Jalyrkieons is often equal to twice as many hominoids in terms of firepower and effectiveness.

With their greater ability to carry munitions as well, due to their body shape lending itself well to portaging, they can also carry a consummate supply of power cells or ammunition. Consequently, anti-armour weapons are also seen in greater numbers in infantry units.

Most squads break into two fireteams of two, one with a TZD-3 Azorn Missile Launcher and six reloads and three rifles, and the other with two rifles and a heavy support weapon, typically a heavy phased plasma cannon.

A couple more pictures showing the size against Rarity and a D20...

Fantastic stuff, sir.

A bevy Of questions.
    I have a mate who has decided normal role playing games have waned in value, and wants to do war games instead. Your systems look remarkably functional.
    Where can we get the rules?
    What system do you use to draft your models?
    Could you write up a bullet-point style, brief list of how you make them (including sizing and such)?
    Provided you aren't inundated with orders, would you be willing to draft basic models for pay?
    I'll probably come up with similar queries, over time. But as there's an actual opening for using the rules and sch, I figured now would be the time to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    Eeyup. Although like ponythread, I lurk more then I actually play.
    NO!

YOU TWO GET BACK HERE
    YOU CANNOT LEAVE WITHOUT SUFFICIENT HUGGING FIRST

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Banned

Lixie~~~ :3

Your avatar. Seriously. It is the best.

Also, everyone is cultists, apparently? In pony? How did this happen? D:
    Spirits, I wish I knew.

I think it's that everypony who wasn't a cultist just left.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Neither I nor the Admiral are cultists. I'm sorry to say, but your theory is flawed somewhat.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ogre in the Playground

Spirits, I wish I knew.

Well, I shall be... a farmer pony! HE SHALL RAISE WHEAT AND HIS NAME WILL BE... FRESH LOAF!

"...Oh. Um. Hi, everyone!"
    Last edited by Tectonic Robot; 2012-08-22 at 04:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I shall be... a farmer pony! HE SHALL RAISE WHEAT AND HIS NAME WILL BE... FRESH LOAF!

Hiya!!

Greetings

Yo.

And for myself .... *glompytacklehugstect*

EDIT: I just realised that my OC stable sounds like a set up for a joke. A musician, a guardpony and a changeling all walk into a bar ...

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Spirits, I wish I knew.

TS-407's not a cultist. But he decided to get off of Bleakbane's ship the hard way. Reentry is rough. It's taking him a while to find all of his pieces.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Neither I nor the Admiral are cultists. I'm sorry to say, but your theory is flawed somewhat.
    You left, and when you came back you left a Portal to an eternal zombie apocalypse. You hve directly caused an influx of zombies. How is that any different from the end result of Silent's usual behavior? He's not really a cultist either, from the sounds of it. He's a cabalist who is conglomerating other cabals under a single unified directive. If anything we should bust him for trying to monopolize rather than for some hokey religion.

sweet. Supernal aegis. Luck of the ages. fortuitous grace.
    Hope you enjoy your stay around these part, Fresh! I suggest surrounding your property with a circle of stones, each at least as big as a loaf of bread, and at least a full two pony lengths apart but no more than twelve pony lengths between them. The number of stones is irrelevant.