New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

"Well, there is no real way within the terms of the contract. Your only way out would be to have the other signatory voluntarily release you from it. Namely, me." Dessiter says slyly.

"I will annul the contract, saving you from the penalty clauses, if you and your brother both swear to owe me one service each. To be specified at the time of my choosing."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

"OK, I will allow that as long as it couts with my current contract with Cardinal Thorn. You would be my fifth loyalty, so I must do what you wish as long as it does not clash with the first, second, third or fourth loyalty. If you do not know the specifics of my current contract then I can show it."

3. - Top - End - #723

"I am quite aware of your current contract. And you seem to be overestimating your own position somewhat." Dessiter says, his yellow eyes narrowing. "Bargaining is for those with the freedom to walk away from the table. I am being generous in merely offering this escape for you as it is, and I am under no obligation to do so. Incidentally, the price has now risen to two unspecified services each."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

Amusement became apparent in Quints eyes at this latest turn of events, "Dear me, Kydrak... You are far too eager to agree to these things, it's only going to bring you trouble. As to myself, I will decline the invite. There is nothing I would ask and I have no wish to acquire further debts. Besides that, Hal is correct in that the Horn still requires guarding. I shall remain here."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

Il'Tara stepped quietly out of the Horn and into the surrounding jungle. The timing of the meeting had been very convenient. There was still enough light to navigate by and all of the Wizards and their lackeys were in one place, none of them paying attention to her. She had no doubt that her absence would be noticed soon, but she planned to be far away by then.

Everything that had happened since she arrived had been extremely dangerous, enough that she had died. She had no desire to remain, even Quint's threats as to what would happen if she left sounded hollow to her now.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

6. - Top - End - #726

As she begins to make for the nearby edge of the jungle, something causes the Ifriti to look up - an odd sort of tingling at the back of her neck that tells her she's being watched. It does not take long to discern the one responsible.

There is something circling the Horn. It is flying at a considerable distance, out of range of any spells that might be easily cast from the slopes of the unholy mountain, but there is no mistaking the slow, looping orbit that it is taking. Silhouetted against the evening sky, the creature's long neck and tail are clearly visible, as are the powerful wings that keep it aloft. In the dying light, it's scaly form glints silver.

7. - Top - End - #727

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Amusement became apparent in Quints eyes at this latest turn of events, "Dear me, Kydrak... You are far too eager to agree to these things, it's only going to bring you trouble. As to myself, I will decline the invite. There is nothing I would ask and I have no wish to acquire further debts. Besides that, Hal is correct in that the Horn still requires guarding. I shall remain here."
    "I'd say it's gotten him in trouble already." Tiadora says, smirking as she watches the interplay. "Oh yes, that reminds me. With Ilvaria's assistance, I was able to retrieve the half-Orc mercenary and return him to the Agathium. You won't be seeing him again."

"The Cardinal questioned him most thoroughly, and it would appear that your story was true. The Knot Hibernal has therefore been declared broken, and the Master's protection removed from it. He would very much like to have them delivered to him in turn, but he appreciates that you might have your own ideas for how to exact vengeance. I, sadly, am too busy to remain here for a great deal longer, but if you wish I can second two of my sisters to your command for the purpose of confronting them." she smiles. "No charge."

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria smiles slightly at Kydrak's reaction, then steps forward between the Dessiter and the half elf, her voice soft.

"Perhaps something that can be put to rights at Court, Dessiter?" She asks. "We would not, of course, wish to keep his Infernal Majesty waiting." Tiadora's offer brings a rather more interesting reaction, one that does - in fact - involve surprise.

"Broken?" She smiles again, viciously. "Then I believe we do have...plans regarding such a confrontation. Two of your sisters aiding in such a thing would be a great boon."

Spoiler
    Show
    Subtext for Dessiter: Leave off for now, I have an idea you should enjoy if things go right at Court.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-01-03 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

9. - Top - End - #729

Kydrak tries to keep the last of his dignity and speaks calmly. "I aree to do two things for you as does my brother. My only terms are that I shall not kill Caldrel or cause him pain and niether shall he do that to me."

10. - Top - End - #730

"What did I say about bargaining? Still, I suppose that is acceptable." Dessiter says, making a short waving gesture with one hand. A pair of elaborate contracts unfold themselves from thin air next to him, quite clearly identical, and a moment later they are both consumed in flame.

"Now then. A few quick words on etiquette at the Court. Firstly, never call the Duke by name while in the Court, even if you are quite certain he could not possibly hear. The terms you use are up to your own discretion, but generally those such as 'your eminence' or 'mighty one' are reasonable choices." the contract devil continues, holding up one finger in a warning gesture. "But whatever you do, do not insult him, not even in a veiled fashion. He will catch it, and then most unfortunate things will happen."

"Likewise, watch your own words in the Court - everything you say while it is in session is considered legally binding. And I do mean everything." Tiadora adds. "Now, any other questions, or shall we depart?"

11. - Top - End - #731

Seeing that no one appears to have anything else to add, Dessiter and Tiadora move forwards and take those intending to go by the hands. There is a harsh crack, a flash of red light, and you are elsewhere.

The first thing you notice about your arrival is that the area is dark, almost entirely unlit. The only illumination comes from a single enormous pillar of hellfire at one end of the room, which writhes and struggles against the magical bindings that keep it in place, and in the burning light you can just about make out the outlines of dozens, perhaps hundreds of monstrous forms that lurk in the shadows all around you. They shift and glare hatefully at the new arrivals, glittering eyes narrowing as they take your measure, but beyond those vague impressions you find it impossible to make out anything else. Your attention is too strongly drawn to the far end of the hall.

There is a throne there, an ornate and fearsome looking thing carved from some kind of black marble and clearly designed for something much larger than a human being. There is no dais, no clearly marked boundary to inform the gathered courtiers of exactly how close they are allowed to stand, but judging by the ring of empty space around it none here need anything so physical to remind them of their place. And looking at the figure seated upon the throne, you can understand why.

It is massive, more than twice the size of an ogre and bearing a pair of great leathery wings several metres across. Even backlit by the roaring hellfire, darkness seems to cling to it's form like a cloak, obscuring every detail but a pair of burning scarlet eyes. It is as though the thing is made of living shadow, or that the world itself refuses to reveal the true horror of its unearthly form. Even so, the sheer force of its presence presses down upon you, and in the backs of your minds the most primitive parts of your being gibber in mindless terror.

"Who dares to come before me? What insignificant worms believe they have the right to stand in my presence?" The thing's voice is almost painful in its intensity, echoing in the vast chamber and possessed of such unconscious eldritch power that you can feel your skin crawl.

Dessiter steps forwards and drops to one knee, bowing his head. "It is I, oh great and terrible one, Dessiter of the Phistophilus. I come before you bringing the members of the Ninth Knot, humble petitioners who would seek your blessings on their current endeavor." he says.

"Is this so? And will you hide behind this fawning mouthpiece? Come forward, then, and speak your piece. I, Naberus, shall listen and judge the worth of your souls. But be cautious, for that which you say here shall be heard not just by me, but by our Infernal Liege, the First Amongst the Fallen. Choose your words carefully, lest you suffer for them eternally."

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria lets her eyes slide shut, a gentle calming breath slipping from her lips, and then steps forward, dropping to one knee - an easy motion for one court-trained as she was, and lowering her head until all she can see is the ground and her own body.

"I am Ilvaria, of House Lentrax, Your Eminence." She says, her voice sounding clear - but clearly subordinate. "And I come before you to ask your patronage for the passage of Hell's Gift upon myself."
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

13. - Top - End - #733

A chorus of intrigued hisses come from the shadows around the edges of the court at that pronouncement, only to immediately die away as Naberus sweeps his burning gaze across the assembled masses.

"It is within my power to bestow such a gift." The Duke confirms after a moment. "But I do not do so lightly. By what right do you claim yourself worthy of such an honour?"

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

"By right of my power, that which is granted to me from the First Among Fallen." The drow speaks carefully. "By the right of my ingenuity, for returning the Glaive of your advisor Skaythl to him from the hands of the Mitran unbelievers without revealing myself to them."

"By the right of patronage, gifted in exchange by the Handmaiden who brought me here." Her words are soft still, but they echo with a reverence that is easy to hear. "And by right of my understanding -paltry though it is compared to yours, Your Eminence - for seeing that which was left for me by my Mother, and pursuing it of my own will."
    Show

<struck dumb>

15. - Top - End - #735

Kydrak calmly drops to one knee. He was used to it being the other way round but he did it with ease. He isn't sure what to say. So many things com flashing through his mind. Finally he comes out with something. "Your eminence, I ask only one thing. That you help us on our task to bring the worship of the first among the fallen to the land of Talingarde. We are great worshipers of yours and any assistance would be more than appreciated. That is all I ask."

16. - Top - End - #736

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    "By right of my power, that which is granted to me from the First Among Fallen." The drow speaks carefully. "By the right of my ingenuity, for returning the Glaive of your advisor Skaythl to him from the hands of the Mitran unbelievers without revealing myself to them."

"By the right of patronage, gifted in exchange by the Handmaiden who brought me here." Her words are soft still, but they echo with a reverence that is easy to hear. "And by right of my understanding -paltry though it is compared to yours, Your Eminence - for seeing that which was left for me by my Mother, and pursuing it of my own will."
    "Will those present support the words of this mortal?"

Tiadora bows low, and her voice carries easily in the darkness of the Court. "I, Tiadora of the Gylou, support the words and petition of this mortal. By fire and blood, she has earned the right."

Off to one side, another devil steps forwards, one whose entire body seems to be carved from solid ice. It studies the kneeling Drow with cold blue eyes, and one claw tightens around the vicious looking glaive it holds. "A service for a service." it says in a voice utterly devoid of emotion. "I, Skathyl of the Gelugon, support the mortal's right of petition."

Naberus seems to consider this, burning eyes narrowed in contemplation. "The word of two Greater Devils supports thy claim, Ilvaria of House Lentrax. But before I render judgement, I would weigh thy intent as well as thy patronage. Tell me why you seek this Gift, why you seek the mantle of Devil-Kind."

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    Kydrak calmly drops to one knee. He was used to it being the other way round but he did it with ease. He isn't sure what to say. So many things com flashing through his mind. Finally he comes out with something. "Your eminence, I ask only one thing. That you help us on our task to bring the worship of the first among the fallen to the land of Talingarde. We are great worshipers of yours and any assistance would be more than appreciated. That is all I ask."
    The Pit Fiend's attention switches to Kydrak, and the half-elf feels the weight of that infernal regard rest heavily on his bowed shoulders. "Are you so weak, mortal, that you cannot accomplish such a task by yourself?" he demands. "Hell has no time for weaklings, or those who would come crawling on their knees to beg assistance in their sacred duty. What makes you worthy of such aid? SPEAK."

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria pauses for an instant, eyes flickering shut in a wince as Kydrak speaks. But that's it. She's come this far. And she had expected this question. Guess it was time to see if she had prepared well enough for it.

"Because, your Eminence, I wish to become something more than simply myself. Because it was my duty, passed down from my Mother who now walks among you. Because...because if Talingarde is to die, I would take all that I once called family into the fires with it - and walk from it, unharmed."

"Duty, both to you, your Eminence, and First, to make more of myself so that I might aid more fully in the cause of the Hells. Obligation, to my all but fallen House, to complete that which was given. And...I will not lie your Eminence. Vengeance too. Against those that destroyed my House, against those who would try to 'cleanse' those who have no need to be cleansed. Against fanatic and destroyer, far worse in their own way than even Hell at its most dread." She pulls a single link of chain from her bag, skin tingling as it touches the consecrated silver, and she holds it up - eyes remaining locked on the ground - and her last words ring in the silence given her. "They tried to make me this. I would see all their effort come to worse than naught."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-01-05 at 08:26 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

18. - Top - End - #738

At the sight of the consecrated silver, Naberus rises from his throne and strides towards Ilvaria. Tiadora and Dessiter both move aside as the Infernal Duke approaches, as though repelled by the sheer force of his presence, and the rest of the court falls silent with breathless anticipation as their lord comes to a halt scarcely two feet in front of the kneeling wizards.

This close, his mere presence is physically painful, as though a burning candle is being held against your bare skin. The Pit Fiend reaches out with one clawed hand and takes the chain from Ilvaria's grasp, holding it up in front of his burning eyes.

"Vengeance, you say." he says, the very air around you shaking with the force of his voice. Underneath, you can hear a faint hissing as the sacred chain burns the Duke's otherworldly flesh, but he barely seems to notice. "We are well acquainted with such desires. Very well. You shall have your chance."

The chain in his grasp warps and stretches, seeming to cry out in pain as its gleaming surface tarnishes and warps, the blessed metal melting and reforging itself into a long staff-like shape. "The Shining One maintains his most holy sanctum in Talingarde at a place called the Vale of Valtaerna, the centre of the Mitran faith. Within that sanctum is a vault, where the mortal fools who follow his teachings lock away all that they do not understand. Amongst those treasures is a mirror, into which have been bound Skaraebus and Skraeth, Osyluths who once served my cause."

The chain has finished being reforged, and now Naberus holds a gleaming staff of twisted metal links, the once-holy silver now shot through with streaks of hellish darkness. It looks small and delicate in his hands. "That shall be your task. Recover the mirror, and free my infernal servants from its clutches. Do so, and I shall bless you so that you might begin the transformation you desire. This weapon will serve you well in your pursuits. Rise, and claim it."

He holds the staff out to you.

Spoiler
    Show
    And there we go. First of all, that staff is presently a +1 Unholy Quaterstaff. Once a day, it can also cast Magic Circle against Good as the spell, using your caster level. As your adventure continues, and you prove your worth, the capabilities of the staff will increase likewise.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria holds as the Duke approaches, holds, holds, don't flinch, flinch and you're dead, hold....and then her own power seems to...adapt - her infernal channel absorbing a fraction of the aura of sheer presence around the Duke - enough for her to hold her ground...just. She listens in silence as the silver chain slips up past her eyes, twisting and screeching in the hands of Naberus - its mortal consecration little more than a nuisance to him as he twists it into something more.

Something...hers.

And at his words, she rises, eyes level - but not daring to do more than ensure her own black hands rise easily to wrap around the twisted length of tortured silver that the Duke holds out to. Her fingers tighten across welded grooves, and her power leaps out into the weapon - a torrent of invisible darkness that is a sign of her acceptance as much as the words that follow.

"As you command, so shall it be done." She affirms. Her course is set. Bargain made, task before her. The Vale shall burn.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-01-06 at 10:44 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

20. - Top - End - #740

Kydrak stops himself from flinching away from the intense pain as the duke approaches. He listens as he gifts Ilvaria and gives her a task. Then he speaks. "No, your eminence, I am not weak. We could accomplish this task without your help, but if we are going to show the world that Asmodeus is the true lord below then we don't just finish our tasks, we do them better. If we just do everything to a satisfactory level then Mitra will rule, but if we do everything with the strength of Hell behind us, then we shall crush Mitra. But what have I done to deserve this help, why not one of the others? I have spent most of my life worshiping the infernal prince. I was put in a prison that was called people said no one could escape from. I escaped by myself so that I could further the worship of devils, such as yourself, your eminence. Since I left that prison, I have killed the commander of Balyntine and opened the doors to bugbear hordes. And most recently I have killed a dangerous Mitran inquisitor. That is why me and our group is worthy of any help that you could give."

21. - Top - End - #741

For such a massive creature, Naberus moves with shocking speed. One moment, he is standing before the two of you, listening to Kydrak speak. The next, and he has seized the wizard in one clawed hand and lifted him up, dangling the half-elf some ten feet above the floor.

"Insolent fool." he says, and from this angle it is impossible to do anything save look into the Pit Fiend's terrible burning eyes. "To speak the name of Our Lord Below so casually is sin enough, but then to lie by omission to my face..." he snarls, and Kydrak can almost feel his bones creaking under the strain of that terrible grip.

"You escaped from Branderscar with the aid of the Gylou, she who calls herself Tiadora. You were but one among several who broke the Watch Wall. And not only was it not your blade that slew the Inquisitor, it was not even your magic which incapacitated him. Did you think I would not know? Dessiter! Repeat for the Court the initial offer this one made for his last requested service."

The contract devil coughs and unrolls a sheet of parchment from seemingly nowhere, perusing it for a moment. "As you command, oh dread excellency. In exchange for the resurrection of his brother, slain by the mortal sorceress Treya DeMarco, the petitioner offered the price of actually committing himself fully to the task which he had been assigned by his superiors, without meaningless distraction, for precisely one week."

Naberus' grip is drawing blood now, thin trails of it running down Kydrak's body to drip onto the floor below. "And was this request granted?"

"No, oh Marquis of the Fourth Misery, it was not. Instead, an alternative was offered, the recovery of the weapon of the Gelugon Skathyl from it's imprisonment by the Mitrans. This task was later abandoned before it's inevitable failure, and two unspecified services owed to myself by Kydrak Seldon and his brother, Caldrel of the same."

The Infernal Duke glares at Kydrak, and he can feel his body being slowly crushed in that grasp. "And you claim to be worthy? Speak, mortal."

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria looks up at Kydrak, looks at her staff, looks over at Dessiter, and then sighs silently. Stupid younglings with their stupid ideas. And now she was going to have to try to fix it - or he'd probably end up dead. And then she'd be right out in the 'blunt instrument' department. Damn. Well, if she was going to do it, might as well bleed him dry. Very, very carefully, she cleared her throat, dropping her eyes as she did so.

"Your Eminence? Might I speak?"
    Show

<struck dumb>

23. - Top - End - #743

The Duke pauses and looks around at Ilvaria again, still casually holding Kydrek several metres off the ground.

"You may."

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you, My Lord of the Fourth." Ilvaria indicates Kydrak with her staff.

"The one you hold is certainly a fool in his actions here, and from all I have seen of him, insolent and arrogant. However...he has shown use in his work with us. And he has - albeit recently, Mighty One - begun to realise that if he is to see any of his ambitions realised, he must learn. He asked me for help," the word twists in her mouth like a snake, "Your Eminence, shortly before we came to this Court. He also stated - and I believe Dessiter will attest to this - that he would give anything for such.

"For all his foolishness, teaching - with the right incentive and price levied for it - should find purchase. And, perhaps, what he has done thus far to further the services of Our Lord Below could grant him that singular chance?"
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-01-12 at 09:18 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

25. - Top - End - #745

Intense spasm of pain shoot through Kydrak's body as Duke Naberus picks him up. Blood pours down his body and his flesh starts to melt with the heat. He hears Ilvaria's words and then looks straight into the eyes of the Duke, hoping that his vision won't go. "I apologise is saying the Infernal Prince's name offended you. I may have one things in the past that are unwise, foolish even. But I came to your court to see if I could change. Stop pretending to be king and give my allegiance to you, your grace and Hell. I came here for help like Ilvaria said. I, like all of us have ambitions, and mine is to one day be here as a devil. I would give anything to for this and if that means being in your service and doing as you bid, then I shall follow you loyally and I would be a trustworthy ally."

26. - Top - End - #746

Naberus barks out a laugh, a single expression of dark amusement that is quashed almost as soon as it is given voice, and releases Kydrak from his terrible grasp. The half-elf lands in a heap on the floor, and mercifully, the Pit Fiend draws away, pacing back to his throne.

"You sound like one who has a plan in mind, Ilvaria of House Lentrax." he says as he sits once more. "What lesson would you impart, then, and what price would you levy? I confess to being intrigued - it has been too long since any from Talingarde provided such a display."

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

"I aim to please, Your Eminence." The drow doesn't smile, but you can taste the thin pleasure in her voice. "As to this one," she indicates again Kydrak - this time with the other end of her staff, "I would give him what he asked. Specifically what he asked me, not the spurious requests he placed at your feet, My Lord. Those, I suspect, will require him to learn more of the truths of serving the First Among Fallen if he is ever to succeed in attaining them. The price however, would also be a lesson. One I suspect you might approve of.

"The lesson," she says, "would be that nothing is given. I had yet to name a price for my teaching, but he offered anything to me in exchange for it. I think it would be more than fair to demonstrate to him why such blanket statements are so...unwise. And what better way than to do so in a manner that forces him to learn how he could have prevented it?" This time she does smile, but it's an icy, cold thing. "I will teach him. But as a price? As a price I would ask that he pay the cost of the infernal oath that binds me to life if it fails.

"Would that be punishment enough for his arrogance here, Lord of the Fourth? Lesson and price, in a constantly present package."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-01-06 at 07:33 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

28. - Top - End - #748

"You would have his life be held as an insurance on your own? " Naberus clarifies, sounding rather amused by the idea. "Dessiter. Is such a thing permissible under the present terms?"

"It is, my unholy liege." the contract devil says smoothly. "There is significant precedent for such an act, the substitution of one soul owed for another of equal or greater worth. All such precedent, however, does require the present owner of the substitute soul to willingly agree to the bargain."

Naberus returns his attention to Kydrak. "Well, half-elf? You said you would pay anything for such tutoring. The price has been named - your soul in trust, to take the place of your teacher's should she perish before you. Did you mean the words you spoke?"

29. - Top - End - #749

Kydrak drops to the ground with a thud, stands up and brushes himself down. He listens to Ilvaria's proposal. "Your eminence, in the past I have said words that I regret but if there is anything that I have said with full confidence then that is it. I said I would give anything for the wisdom of Hell and that is the price. I accept. Should Ilvaria, my teacher die, then I shall die in her stead."

30. - Top - End - #750

"Then the bargain is struck." Naberus declares, with the full force of law behind his words. "This audience is now concluded. You may depart from my presence, and know that my eye is upon you. Do not fail in your appointed tasks."

Tiadora steps close to Ilvaria, pitching her voice low. "My congratulations on a successful debut. I shall be returning to my assigned task immediately myself, so I cannot return with you, but as I mentioned earlier..."

She makes a small beckoning gesture to the sides of the chamber, and at her prompting a pair of Erinyes step forth, dressed in stylised hunting gear with ash-black wings furled against their backs. "Might I introduce Tisaera and Melonie. They are hereby seconded to the command of the Nessian Knot for the next week. I look forwards to hearing what you all get up to."

Dessiter steps towards you both and bows. Unlike Tiadora, he offers no commentary on what just happened. "We may depart once you are ready."