New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default ADOM indiegogo campaign goes into the last stretch

Remember ADOM? That fiendishly hard ASCII-based roguelike RPG that once topped online-wide hitlists of downloadable freeware games, is regularly counted as one of the best roguelike games period, and hasn't seen an updated release since 2002?

As some might already be aware, this has changed very recently with the formation of a crowdfunding campaign on indiegogo. The plans for ADOM 1.2.0 have since grown immensely, with a list of stretch goals that include graphical tile support and the release of a Steam version with extra features. (Though ADOM will always be free!) Pledge drives have already added dozens of new monsters, artifacts, items and other stuff. But: The campaign ends on August 30th. For longtime fans, this is the last chance to give back and get loads of extra stuff on top!

If you've enjoyed ADOM in the past, now may be the time to check it out again. If you've never heard of it, and you have any kind of affinity for a basically infinitely replayable computer RPG that will beat the crap out of you and take your lunch money, you might want to give it a try.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ADOM indiegogo campaign goes into the last stretch

I've played ADOM quite a bit. I'm a bit partial to monks. Got my first win and first ultra win both as a monk. It was hilarious when the monk kill shot ability proc'ed against the moloch emperor. It made that fight a lot shorter than it normally would have been.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Remember ADOM? That fiendishly hard ASCII-based roguelike RPG that once topped online-wide hitlists of downloadable freeware games, is regularly counted as one of the best roguelike games period, and hasn't seen an updated release since 2002?
    Yes. Yes I most certainly do. How did I not hear about this campaign?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Thumbs up Re: ADOM indiegogo campaign goes into the last stretch

Those are good news. I should really go there and contribute someting for a simple-looking game that gave me dozens of hours of frustrations.
    I'm still not sure this game is winnable, seeing as my longest non-scummed character survived to around the TOEF quest.
    But I'd love to buy a deluxe version with restorable saves, tilesets and playable ratling chaos-knights.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The early game is the worst of ADOM. Once you get sufficiently powerful you can either run away from the worst things and then scum up what you need to beat the worst things you are required to beat. Getting lucky on an early pre-crown can easily make much of the game a breeze. All of my wins have had great luck with generating artifacts or wishes.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Dwarven Priest is the bread & butter character for this game given he combines fight&magic with sturdiness and a huge beard. IMHO just learn to buy food and keep yourself satiated, go for the run-of-the-mill spear&shield combo (gives you the most tankiness as you level up, spears are common, and there are a few guaranteed polearm artifacts).

Or you can just go Gray Elf Wizard and annihilate stuff.

This new ADOM looks fun, but I'm not sure if I'm in the mood to try and beat it anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Dwarven Priest
    Gray Elf Wizard
    My go-to combo is Gray Elf Farmer second highest score on my list, next to Orcish Weaponsmith!

I'm surprised something like this is happening, though. Is Biskup involved in it? I seem to recall he was pretty protective of his code, so I'd be sort of surprised if someone else managed to get their hands on the rights to make it. Derp, he is .

This reeeeally makes me wanna play ADOM again...I still haven't won with a Druid or a Monk yet (or a couple other class/race combos).

@V: Ah, neat! If I had any money to spare at all I would totally fund this.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-08-29 at 04:42 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

It's Biskup. Since he did an iOS port of ADOM and was thus working with the code, he decided to do some more work on it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'm allowed to say that ADOM is pretty winnable; I've done it close to thirty times, one of which is recorded almost in its entirety on Youtube.

Less than twenty-four hours left, and ADOM already has a custom graphical tileset and a steam release locked. Two peple have promised to match 2500 to reach the next two goals, so less than 3000 are needed to reach 75000 and the mysterious volcano quest.

The one doing the actual work on the code will be Jochen Terstiege, who did the most recent ADOM ports and is the only one actually still familiar enough with the code to do any work on it. (He is also the only person confirmed to possess the source code, excepting Thomas of course.) Of course, Thomas will still decide what content goes into the game, which is going to be loads. (Among other things, over forty new artifacts, due to one of the pledge drives.)
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Waitwaitwait? There's an iOS version of ADOM? Why can't I find it. (And how would that even work? Where do you put the all the different commands?)

Dwarven Priest, eh? Still have to try that one. This game is pretty evil, though. I'm sure I'll run into a vault of dwarf-eating magic-immune monsters soon.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Waitwaitwait? There's an iOS version of ADOM? Why can't I find it. (And how would that even work? Where do you put the all the different commands?)
    Probably using an onscreen keyboard, like the smartphone version of Nethack.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I can't believe he ported to iOS before Android considering it was written in java, and especially considering the amount of Android devices with real keyboards.