1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Infinite IC

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    Not very good at listening, I see.

I need you like I need an ant to walk in a different direction.” Vain says quietly. “If you don’t do it, someone else will. If they do not, countless amounts of people will die.”

He turns and walks away, waving. “If you’re fine with those odds, that’s fine with me. It’s not like I particularly care what happens to this world.”

"Just don't come crying to me when people learn you had the power in your hands to make this as if it never happened."

Admiral:
    Spoiler
    Show

He shrugs. “More or less. I would understand completely if you do not agree to my offer, but it’s not like the Lady of Mercy or Vain will be giving you the power you need to win.”
    Last edited by Julian84; 2013-03-18 at 07:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Adam hesitates for a moment, but then calls out to Vain, "Alright, captain close to the chest. Let's hear it, what's your offer exactly?
    What I'd call pretty much my only successful homebrew: The Knife Fighter

Even if you have a lot of hit points, a dagger through the eye is a dagger through the eye.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

John spreads his arms and replies, Doesn't seem like I have much of a choice in this matter, fill me up bracing himself for what he's sure will be the most painful experience in his life.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

4. - Top - End - #1114

OrcBarbarianGuy

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    Vain pauses mid-step and tilts his head around to smile smugly at Adam. “I thought you might change your mind.”

Hajime glances at Adam cautiously. “Dude…”

Vain turns and waves his hand, a metal container the size of a brief case appearing in his hands with the same wink of light as the weapons he had summoned, the container dotted with glowing crystalline object in various hues of purple and blue. With a snap, he popped it open, allowing it to float into the air as it unraveled and shifted until taking on a vaguely diamond-like shape.

I’m going to presume your little monkey brain doesn’t recognize the advanced design.” Vain said smarmily. “So I’ll explain the fancy gadget that I pulled out of the depths of hyperspace: this is my personal Temporal Shifter. Simply put, it’s a time machine.” He pauses, weighing his words. “However, only one person can be transported per use, and should they encounter their past self the results would be catastrophic.” He claps his hands. “So if you take the trip, don’t meet yourself in the past. Anyhow!” Vain circles around the device, Hajime and Mufasa backing away from him warily. “All you need to do is stick your hand in the little port in the center.” He point out the glowing port, shining with internal light. “Normally it can only be used by someone who works for Order, so I have taken the liberty of prepping it with the tech imprint of one of my followers. Hopefully it won’t be confused by the mixed signatures.” He says with an easy grin.

The reason I personally haven’t used this device is two-fold: my presence in the past would immediately be noticed by the other Lords of Order, who would do all in their power to annihilate me, due to the second and more important reason: time travel, a power we strictly control, is outlawed to everyone. Messing with time interferes with our holy purpose blah blah blah.” He sighs. “The danger is also great in the fact that it’s a one-way trip. Once you go, you’ve gone for good.”

But! Once there you can prevent events from unfolding as they have here! Only, you can’t interact with yourself, so you won’t be able to prevent yourself from getting powers without help.” He waves his hand again. “Which is why, should you choose to go, I’ve brought along a little extra help.” One of the large mechanical eagles suddenly appears on his arm, blinking and turning in confusion. “This is Flutterhawk. Should you choose to go back, she shall be your guide.”

Flutterhawk fixates on Adam. “… Hello?” She asks curiously.

Hajime growls. “Dude, it’s a trap, don’t do it.”

Vain sighs. “Now is the time to choose. I promise you, I am not lying: this machine will send you into the past, four days ago.” He seems sincere.

Admiral:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Grinning One’s ever-present smile spreads an inch wider, a rather unsettling effect. “One moment.” He says, pulling a briefcase from his jacket pocket, opening it to reveal a red screen inside. “Sign here with your palmprint, if you would. Legal notices and whatnot. It isn’t every day a servant of Order takes a dip in the deep end of the pool. Even as a true servant of chaos there’s little things I might get smited over.”

Veronica looks at him nervously. “… John?”

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Veronica, get Gary out, call my parents, tell them I love them, and live. I'm gambling with my life so that you don't have to. If I fail, Order wouldn't have lost much, if I succeed....... John says, tossing his phone to Veronica.

Walking up to the briefcase he says, Time to dance with the devil. bracing himself he puts his palm on the red panel.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Adam stares at the device with a mix of wonder and fear as Vain explains his offer. After he finishes speaking, Adam still remains silent for a few moments, his gaze lingering on the floating device. "Say I do choose to trust you...exactly what am I supposed to accomplish four days in the past? Even if I stop just myself from getting powers, how am I supposed to prevent Chaos from empowering any of their other several candidates?" he gestures to Hajime as he says this. "Or for that matter, how the heck would I get Chaos off this planet?"

Even if you have a lot of hit points, a dagger through the eye is a dagger through the eye.

7. - Top - End - #1117

OrcBarbarianGuy

GRMM for Both

Admiral:

Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as John presses his hand against the panel, it glows a sharp red, energy surging through the equipment as his hand begins to tingle with arcane energy and the Lord of Chaos pokes him in the forehead.

Boop.” He says with a grin. “By the powers invested in me, welcome to chaos. It’s the least I can do for making you betray everything you love.”

John is transfixed, black bolts of energy swirling around him, latching onto Veronica and drawing her closer to him. “Wait… WAIT!” She shrieks as she’s pulled into the maelstrom.

Have fun, guy. When you come out, everything will be different… You can fight whoever you like, I don’t care.” He laughs hysterically, walking away. “I’m quite mad!

As Veronica and John are pulled closer together, his radio crackles as soldiers scream in fear and confusion.

Pentagon reporting a nuclear launch!

-What’s happening?!

Targeting-

-Washington says-

-Oh my god-

-The capital is-

The two are inches apart, her eyes wide with fear and terror, soundless shrieks spilling from her mouth, the intense energy tearing the building apart. Looking down, he can see Gary slowly melting away into a pile of dissolved flesh.

This is my endgame. A voice whispers in his mind.

No kings.

No conquerers.

Just fear.

And Madness.

The two meet in an embrace, the dark energy swirling around them, wrapping them in a cocoon from which neither can escape.

JOHN!

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    Vain stares at him. “I cannot answer those questions. Going back any further in time wouldn’t help you any more than going back to yesterday. Perhaps you could marshal the strength you would need, but I don’t think so. What I can say though…”

He suddenly whirls, looking around, eyes wide and unfocused. “… Damn. He’s done it.”

He turns back. “There is a hole in your mind. You know this. The one who put it there has the power and might necessary to fight chaos on equal footing, if you can wake him.”

Vain gestures to the machine. “Go back, back in time, go to your hometown, Kingstone. That’s where you’ll find him.” He pauses. “It’s too late for this world now. But you can buy yourself just enough time to maybe make a difference.”

Hajime growls. “What’s happening?!”

The Lord of Order sighs, his shoulders slumping. “Washington DC has just been nuked, and one of my servants has switched sides to chaos. Over the ruins of what once was the seat of power for the most powerful military your world had to offer Chaos is opening their portal. I must go.” He begins to shimmer. “I and the other Lords must join the fight there, but the battle will undoubtedly destroy much of this part of the world.” His fierce visage softens. “… If you want to save your people, you’ll take my offer.”

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Adam is practically frozen with the pressure of the situation. His eyes blink rapidly as he wipes away heavy beads of sweat from his forehead and the back of his neck. His breathing is heavy as he goes over the situation in his head,

"Man, how did things get so completely ****ed up? Everything's just completely gone to hell. I mean, is there any other way? Does it really all fall to me to literally save the world? Ignoring any of that, can I even trust a word this guy is saying? I mean so far, he really sounds an awful lot like one of the higher-ups from Chaos. Heh, ironic that two entities so similar in mannerisms are constantly at war. Anyway, I'm almost positive he's got some alterior motive in play here. And of course, there's that whole 'being trapped in the past thing'; definitely doesn't sound fun. But even so, really what choice do I have? This world really does seem beyond saving. So....here goes I guess."

Adam forces his legs to move forward, seemingly struggling with each step. When he's finally standing next to the machine, he looks down and carefully studies his trembling hand. He briefly looks back at Hajime,
    "I'm sorry Hajime, but really, this is the only way. I promise, I'll do everything I can to stop this hell from happening. See ya..."
    And with that, he places his hand on the panel in the center of the machine, with his tightly shut, terrified of what he'd see when he opened them again.
    Last edited by crazydude369; 2013-04-14 at 10:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

VERONICA, HOLD ON! John shouts, hugging her tighter and trying to weather the storm.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1120

OrcBarbarianGuy

GRMM

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    Hajime reaches out. “Wait, Adam!”

He is lost in a flash of white light, as Adam tumbles into a void, following towards a light more powerful and blinding then any he has ever seen…

Error. A voice says in the void. Unknown make-up and energy signature in terminus. Realigning.

Modifying signature.

Energy arcs into Adam’s body as he falls, twisting his body and causing him intense pain.

Modification complete. Realignment complete. Procedure will now be completed.

The white light engulfed him.

Admiral:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wracked by pain he never knew could exist as his body fuses with Veronica’s, John can only briefly reflect on the madness that has overtaken his life before his consciousness is lost in the screaming agony.

Melvin Groden:

Blood streaming from his side, Melvin quietly slumps against a wall somewhere in the city as gunshots ring overhead.

He had failed to find John and Veronica.

He had failed to save the city.

He slowly slid down the wall as his blood drenched the street below him, to faint and exhausted to notice the execution squad aiming their kill shots.

Hajime Gordon:

Hajime snarled in anger as Adam disappeared into a wink of light. “You’re a liar!” He roared, he and Mufasa bounding forward to attack Vain. Claws unsheathed, yellow eyes blazing, the two beasts roar in defiance in the face of this god-like being.

They never managed to touch him.

Karasu Gordon:

The young boy floats alone in a tank of odd blue fluid, absently noting the sting of armor plates being surgically attached to his body. The temperature in the pod begins to heat to uncomfortable levels as he wriggles, desperate to free himself. He begins to scream in torment as the scalding hot water boils him alive.

The features of the machine at the controls flicker, as an unnatural smile spreads across the face of the machine.

Crypt Walker:

A pleasure doing business with ya, Detective Clay.” Crypt said with quiet glee, holding the head of the former leader of the Bluesky city army of chaos. “I’ll do right by your kind sacrifice.” He could feel his consciousness spread across the chaos web, to all of the new little soldiers under his command, and began the renewed attack on the people who killed his mother.

Verda:

National guardsmen were hopelessly torn apart by their reanimated comrades as Verda laughed maniacally, golden armored scythe warriors beginning to wade into the tide of undead prepared to do battle.

You’ll have to do better than that-”

She never uttered another word as a sphinx separated her torso from her legs with one swipe of its massive claws.

Theo Silbern:

The young son of the mob watches the mushroom cloud over DC earnestly, his pen bobbing in the air by the power of his telekinesis.

“… Take us on to Empire City.” He says absently.

Peter Wilde:

Peter, imbued with great power, faces off against the horde of changlings, tracker beasts, and thralls under the control of chaos, his energy shields repelling attacks as he valiantly held off the endless assault.

The combined tank fire eviscerates him, his remains never found.

Janine Groden:

The mother of Melvin Groden looks down at the deep cut on her arm, quickly healing.

The city was in flames.

Tears fell freely down her cheeks at the unfairness of the universe, how much everyone had suffered.

Everything had gone wrong.

All wrong.

---
    12:00 PM, August 22nd – The Earth falls to the forces of Chaos
    ---

Admiral:

Spoiler
    Show
    John awakens in a dark, cramped room, thick poles and stick poking into his back, things resting on his torso and face. He appears to have crashed to the ground in the room.

He is incredibly sore.

Reaching up, he can feel a dangling cable, and pulling on it illuminates a dim bulb. He’s in a cleaning supplies closet.

His right hand is different. Now no longer the machine weapon disguised as human flesh, it is sleek and dark, like black marble, but as flexible as his original limb. The appendage is sleek and cold to the touch, white clouds roiling beneath the surface. A grungy analog clock gives him the time and date.

Veronica is no where to be seen.

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    Adam is standing in the lobby he was in with Hajime, except now surrounded by confused looking pedestrians on their way to lunch, staring in confusion at his dirty, damaged clothing and wide-eyed look.

“Sir?” A security guard comes up. “I’m sorry, but you’ll have to ask for handouts somewhere else.”

The clock in between the elevators, broken four days in the future, now gongs loudly to signal midday.

12:00 PM, August 18th – Beginning of the end
    Last edited by Julian84; 2013-04-07 at 05:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Adam's breathing comes out ragged, but gets slightly calmer with each breath as his eyes dart around. "I, uh, wha?" he stammers as he haphazardly pats himself down, making sure he's really still there. Completely ignoring the security guard, he just stumbles off toward the elevator, his eyes wide and constantly looking all around him, taking in the drastic change in scenery.

"Well, would you look at that, I guess the thing actually worked. And here I was half expecting to just disintegrate or something. I guess I really am in the past. Well, no time to 'sight-see', I'd better get to work as fast as possible. Speaking of which, where's my new little helper?"

Adam whispers at the air around him, "Pst, hey uh....Flutterhawk, right? You there chief?"

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

John gets up, dusting himself off, staring at his hand for a while, moving his fingers as the memories of the last few minutes slowly came back to him.

I, I failed. he said into thin air as he stared at his hand and collapsed back onto the floor. Glancing at the clock, a look of determination came over him as he got back to his feet.

I won't fail her again. he continued, as the black marble like substance his hand was made of spread across his body, covering it and his clothes.

It retracts back, tracing the same path over his body, leaving a different person in it's path, the marble like hand morphing into a regular hand. John conjures up an ice mirror, looking at himself in it and realizing that he now looks like Veronica, in a suit.

Chuckling darkly, John mutters , good enough for government work, letting the mirror melt in 'her' hand. Wiping 'her' hand dry, 'she' peeks out of the supply closet.

The black marble like substance again covers John's body and retracts as he peeks out, making him look like Gary a few years older and wearing a business suit. He mutters, Must remember not to copy anyone living.

OOC: Let's do the timey wimey dance, destroy the timelines. Also I couldn't decide which would make more strange sense, Veronica or Gary so I flipped a coin. Coin decided, I said screw you coin.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2013-04-05 at 06:35 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1123

OrcBarbarianGuy

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    “… I am here.” The timid machine says, somewhat grumpily, from around his neck. Hanging from a silver chain is a miniature replica of the eagle, tiny blue eyes glowing with intelligence.

“… Your name is Adam Wentworth, correct?” She asks. “I am bidden to aid you in this fight… Despite your background.” There is an awkward pause. “I feel I ought to warn you of the presence of a chaos-energy signal within two miles of your location. This is troubling, as no chaos signatures ought to have appeared yet. Thankfully, the Lords and Ladies of Order here cannot sense this energy and have not yet established the means to sense you or this anomalous signature, so we are not rushed.”

Admiral:

Spoiler
    Show
    Johns steps out of the supply closet into a brightly lit hallway, one that should be familiar to him. While he is quite a few yards off from his original location, he is in the same office as four days in the future. Only now it is full of businessmen and women going about their daily routine, bustling to and fro.

Down the hallway to his left, he can hear the ding of an elevator.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

John strides purposefully towards the elevator, joining the flow of people as he makes his way towards the elevator and gets in, pressing the button to go to the lobby.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Adam lightly grips the small eagle and looks at it quizzically. "Uh, yea, I'm Adam. Anyway, not rushed? Seriously? In case you forgot, we're on a pretty tight deadline here! So which way is it?"

16. - Top - End - #1126

OrcBarbarianGuy

Admiral:

Spoiler
    Show
    John steps out into the lobby, filled with busy people pushing past him, going about their business.

Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    Two blocks away, west. Better hurry, it’s on the move.” She pauses. “And watch out for myself. If we touch, even accidently, the reaction could be catastrophic.

She pauses.

Or we could be both turned into what you would call swiss cheese, the jury is still out on the topic.”

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

As John walks through the crowd onto the pavement, he was hit with his first memory, he stumbled. Concepts, parents, fighting, arguing. His parent's, they never fought like that, did they? No they weren't his parents, the woman's hair and eyes were the wrong colour, blonde instead of red and a blue instead of his mother's brown. Her face looked completely different too. The man was also wrong, his eyes not his father's light brown and the face lacking his father's sharp features.

John gets up and dusts himself off holding his forehead in pain, waving off people saying, "Sorry, just a bad headache." stumbling to a bench, he sits down, holding his forehead and letting the torrent of new? memories settle.

As they settled, the headache faded away and he mumbles, .....wow, Veronica was, messed up. massaging his forehead and sitting on the bench.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Adam skips the elevator and heads for the stairwell, figuring there will be no one in there. "You mean make sure that you and who/what ever the source of this Chaos energy is don't touch? Uh sure, I guess." As soon as he's sure the coast is clear, Adam turns himself invisible and phases through the walls, flying off towards his new target.

19. - Top - End - #1129

OrcBarbarianGuy

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I mean don’t let me get in contact with me!” She replies with exasperation. “And don’t let you get in contact with yourself, we’re both here in the past you know. If we make physical contact with our past selves, who knows what might happen? We could explode, like matter and antimatter, or turn into swiss cheese or-“ She pinged. “… It’s directly below us.”

All that is below them is a tired-looking older fellow in a suit, resting on a park bench. He looks vaguely familiar to Adam, but he can’t place where from.

Admiral:

Spoiler
    Show
    The influx of memories slowly abates, leaving John with a headache and disorientation.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Yea, I get it." Adam shortly replies to Flutterhawk. He looks down at the man with doubtful eyes. "That's the guy?"

OOC: And in case it wasn't obvious, Adam is using his mental communication here.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The pounding headaches going away, he tries to get up, only to loose balance and sit back down onto the bench. Okay, think, think, think, think, think, Step one, eliminate chaos agents, pick them off, Verda, Walker, that illusion guy, who else, who else? he says out loud, still massaging his forehead.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1132

OrcBarbarianGuy

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    The man is muttering to himself. “Okay, think, think, think, think, think, Step one, eliminate chaos agents, pick them off, Verda, Walker, that illusion guy, who else, who else?”

That’s him.” Murmurs Flutterhawk. “That’s the source of the Chaos energy… But he looks almost like Gary…”

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, he doesn't exactly sound friendly. I'd kinda expect him to be from Order with that sorta talk, although maybe he's one of the Chaos candidates and is just taking out the competition. Anyway, who's Gary?"

24. - Top - End - #1134

OrcBarbarianGuy

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary was a recruit for the Keeper of the Dead, a Lord of Order… He had the ability to control minds and nullify the powers of other champions.” She explains. “… Well, this one can’t see you, you could always just kill him. Permeate through his chest and go solid, his heart will explode.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Um, a bit rash, don't you think? Why would I randomly kill this guy?" Adam thinks for a moment, "Wait a minute, Gary Jesmond? That kid that was at the hospital that I tried tracking down? Anyway, why would he be giving off Chaos energy if he's working for Order?"

26. - Top - End - #1136

OrcBarbarianGuy

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    "To be fair, you now give off the energy signature of our machines... Specifically of a certain person's design... As does he."

She pauses. "This isn't Gary Jesmond, but whoever he is, he has access to both chaos powers and order powers."

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hm, weird. I don't recall meeting anyone like that before. Anywho, what now? Question him I guess, see what he knows? And no, I'm not just immediately killing him."
    Last edited by crazydude369; 2013-04-14 at 02:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1138

OrcBarbarianGuy

Crazydude:

Spoiler
    Show
    Well. He’s right there, so go ahead, I guess.” She responds.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Alrighty. But lets keep that whole 'I see him without him seeing me' thing going." Adam shifts his mental voice to the man on the bench, "Erm, hey. So I know you've got powers from both Chaos and Order. So what exactly is your connection to both sides?"

30. - Top - End - #1140

OrcBarbarianGuy

OOC: Spoilers off, gentlemen.

All:

"Erm, hey. So I know you've got powers from both Chaos and Order. So what exactly is your connection to both sides?" A voice asks from the empty air to the man sitting on the bench.
    Last edited by Julian84; 2013-04-14 at 02:10 PM.