New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I gave avocado to one of my rats when he was growing old. Lots of fat, easy to digest. Could it have been a cousin that he ate?
    YOU MONSTER!

REVEEEEENGGEEEEE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqZ9r74y4uc

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

*Beleated hugs for KenderWizard* (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Hello to the ice skating Avocado

Succubus - my understanding is the 'gay' music is more to do with the style than musicians, particularly associations with the steteotypical gay nightclub or drag queen show.
    Some artists gain a following because "drag queens imitate women like Judy Garland, Dolly Parton and Cher because they overcame insult and hardship on their path to success, and because their narratives mirror the pain that many gay men suffer on their way out of the closet" (Thomas Rogers of Salon).
    It's often also that the artists are supporters of the LGBTA+ community, such as Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Lady Gaga etc.

And the Village People, well...

-

Face electrocution update time!

Here's a pic of the damage - longer session today:

Spoiler
    Show

Keep in mind it wasn't so bad for most of the day - it flared up a little after I buzzed myself with my electric razor, but shoudl give you gals and idea of what to expect if you go for it.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Is there such a thing as "lesbian" music or interestingly, "trans" or "asexual" music?
    Lesbian music: t.a.T.u, maybe?
    Otherwise, don't know, I don't see much of a distinction. I just notice a difference between FABULOUS music and other music.
    BF's making me listen to a lot of Lady Gaga (and he's dragging me to her concert next week!), and we listen to Scissor Sisters, Queen, and a few more artists/bands who are equally far on the heteronormative-o-meter. If we count straight artists who've made very un-straight individual songs/music videos, then we've got many of them in our playlist.

... seriously, I can't wrap my mind around the concept of asexual music. Perhaps those that make no mention of sex or romance. Then, there are too few of these and too many damn love songs! I don't care if all you're saying is that you like that guy/gal and nothing more; dozens artists expressed the very same idea already with more talent, better music, and better lyrics!
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    ... seriously, I can't wrap my mind around the concept of asexual music. Perhaps those that make no mention of sex or romance.
    You mean like this.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a question, probably aimed more at our LGBers than others but...what is it about a certain type of music or a certain band that makes it "gay"? For example, groups such as Abba or Steps are classed as "gay" bands - i.e. listen to predominantly by gay folks. Yet bands with gay and bi members, such as Placebo, make music that falls outside the "gay" spectrum.

Is there such a thing as "lesbian" music or interestingly, "trans" or "asexual" music?
    A lot of kd lang's songs are intentionally written without gender specific pronouns (it's usually just "you" or "baby," etc) to allow for lesbian interprations.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

Then you get lots of hugs from Sweden. I owe you a couple of hundred, after all... (I'm sorry, but I can't draw to save my life, so no wonderful cards)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post

*Many, many hugs.*

That is terrible. I really really hope you will all be all right. Cancer is a terrible thing to experience, especially when you have to be away from the victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post

:< *So many hugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Krikey. *hugs!*
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Damn, that sounds bad.
    *Lots of hugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    I am very sorry to hear about that, hope all gets well for everyone.
    *adds more hugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick274 View Post
    Hugs to the Kender Wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    *So many hugs*
    *joins in the glomp pile on Kenderwizard*
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    *Beleated hugs for KenderWizard* (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
    Thank you all!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Thank you all!
    'Tis no problem m'lady.

...besides, I'll use any excuse to snuggle with kender. They're so cute, and enjoy trying new things...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAvocado View Post
    LONG time lurker, just got around to making an account.

Thought I'd pop into the one thread where I belong.

Hi everyone! ^_^
    Welcome! Hope you will have fun.

I have a question, probably aimed more at our LGBers than others but...what is it about a certain type of music or a certain band that makes it "gay"? For example, groups such as Abba or Steps are classed as "gay" bands - i.e. listen to predominantly by gay folks. Yet bands with gay and bi members, such as Placebo, make music that falls outside the "gay" spectrum.

I think most music that is not about sex could count for asexual, and most songs reproduce asexually too! :3

I think the concept exists because of the subculture, which is sadly still represented mostly through male peeps. Asexuality is just now being recognised and both transsexuality and bisexuality are fighting misconceptions that they are part of homosexuality, so the general public might not have considered them important enough to have their own music. It is sad, but maybe we can be part of making music available in all orientations? ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Excellent picture of the importance of symbolism and the problems of dismissing something as "just a word". Thanks.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Iron Maiden has made a single love or sex song. Maybe one or two. That's fairly impressive.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

Maiden's got 22 Acacian Avenue which kinda counts, at least by being the complete opposite of asexual...
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Banned

LONG time lurker, just got around to making an account.

Thought I'd pop into the one thread where I belong.

Hi everyone! ^_^
    Hi! Welcome!

Hi!

*Brings out Detect Evil kit.*
    *adjusts hat of nondetection to an appropriately jaunty angle*

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Man. I need to invest in a browser without a limited tab number... Or clean out my tabs

-

Face electrocution update time!

Here's a pic of the damage - longer session today:

Spoiler
    Show

Keep in mind it wasn't so bad for most of the day - it flared up a little after I buzzed myself with my electric razor, but shoudl give you gals and idea of what to expect if you go for it.
    Hmm. That's about where I sit after a shave. Not too bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    A lot of kd lang's songs are intentionally written without gender specific pronouns (it's usually just "you" or "baby," etc) to allow for lesbian interprations.
    Oh, cool.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Maiden's got 22 Acacian Avenue which kinda counts, at least by being the complete opposite of asexual...
    Yeah, and there's a song on Fear of the Dark which I can't remember now. But still...

― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #943
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nah. I pointed my IKEA one at the cat and it exploded. I got this cheap on e-bay.
    The kit or the kat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, and there's a song on Fear of the Dark which I can't remember now. But still...
    Wasting Love, which in my opinion is their worst song. There's also Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter... I don't know if that one should count though...
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Which is weird because you wouldn't expect a group that's less than 10% of the general population to account for most of Sweden's GDP.

Certainly there are groups of lesbian musicians who write and perform music based upon their experiences, issues, views, etc.

I'm not sure that asexuals would want to other themselves enough to have their own subgenera, but in the limitless bowels of the internet, you'll find anything and everything, so there's assuredly someone bandying about the term somewhere.

It seems like you'd find more genderqueer and related music than most of what I can remember that's covered by saying "trans" these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

Having a bit of a crisis...

Spoiler
    Show
    so over the weekend I went to a a big wargames convention, and wrote a report on my blog about it (link in sig if y'all care). This has proved very popular (tens of thousands of hits a day vs a hundred or so). Problem is that when I went I was probably looking a bit androgynous, but definitely on the masculine side.
    Now the popularity of the article has drawn some others there to comment on it on another forum I frequent... where I'm known as female. If just one person comes on and says "hey, I saw you and...", well, yeah*.
    I think I've deflected stuff but possibly being outed in a public space has thrown me a bit (a couple of people there know I'm trans, but yeah...).

* one commenter, on my blog, was standing directly behind me at one point and remembered me!
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    so over the weekend I went to a a big wargames convention, and wrote a report on my blog about it (link in sig if y'all care). This has proved very popular (tens of thousands of hits a day vs a hundred or so). Problem is that when I went I was probably looking a bit androgynous, but definitely on the masculine side.
    Now the popularity of the article has drawn some others there to comment on it on another forum I frequent... where I'm known as female. If just one person comes on and says "hey, I saw you and...", well, yeah*.
    I think I've deflected stuff but possibly being outed in a public space has thrown me a bit (a couple of people there know I'm trans, but yeah...).

* one commenter, on my blog, was standing directly behind me at one point and remembered me!
    Oh my.

Oh my, my, my... this would be a bit of a problem wouldn't it?

Being outed is never a good thing (especially when you aren't the one doing the outing). Honestly though, how masuline was it? I mean as long you didn't have stubble or facial hair, you could always try and swing it as pulling a tomboy/butch look maybe?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Yet bands with gay and bi members, such as Placebo, make music that falls outside the "gay" spectrum.
    Placebo have gay/bi members? Which?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

People need hugs. I can't offer more than that right now, but *hugs*

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

'Tis no problem m'lady.

...besides, I'll use any excuse to snuggle with kender. They're so cute, and enjoy trying new things...

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean as long you didn't have stubble or facial hair, you could always try and swing it as pulling a tomboy/butch look maybe?

Yeah, that's how I've spun it - but if anyone talked to me the jig would be up, so to speak. I did pin down who this person on the other forum is and I know we never talked and I doubt they'd recall me from looking, so long as I avoid giving a description of myself (which needless to say isn't going to happen).
    Though if they did remember me they're probably socially awkward enough to not realise they were making a faux pas.

I think it has passed and I should be right, but still a bit freaky :/

Thanks for being the quick reply, freak-out averted so I should be able to sleep more soundly now

Edit: at least my first instance of dealing with this was online rather than in person... hopefully will make me a bit more prepared.
    Last edited by Zorg; 2012-09-12 at 02:51 PM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't think it counts, especially if you listen to all the lyrics, but two other asexual girls I know also like this song.

Haha!
    I am!

Thanks for the welcome everyone and don't bother with the IKEA kit, I carry around my standard issue lead sheet with me wherever I go!

I mean I can't be evil! Avocados are so sweet and innocent!
    No offense and I'm sure you're a lovely person, but avocados have never been to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Then, there are too few of these and too many damn love songs! I don't care if all you're saying is that you like that guy/gal and nothing more; dozens artists expressed the very same idea already with more talent, better music, and better lyrics!
    There certainly are a lot of silly love songs out there...
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's how I've spun it - but if anyone talked to me the jig would be up, so to speak. I did pin down who this person on the other forum is and I know we never talked and I doubt they'd recall me from looking, so long as I avoid giving a description of myself (which needless to say isn't going to happen).
    Though if they did remember me they're probably socially awkward enough to not realise they were making a faux pas.

Thanks for being the quick reply, freak-out averted so I should be able to sleep more soundly now

Edit: at least my first instance of dealing with this was online rather than in person... hopefully will make me a bit more prepared.
    Aww, well hopefully everything is calmer now. That can't be a fun feeling, I'm sorry that the stress and worry was there to begin with. I tend to drink a nip of Jameson before I go to bed......help me relax
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

Well the guy who kinda clocked me just made a "tits of GTFO" 'joke' *ahem*, so I think the deflection worked...

Yay?

Maybe, but I'm a teetotaler, so no good for me! I just stay up on forums all night when I should be writing instead
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Spoiler
    Show

*Many many hugs*

I hope you do not end up being outed to anyone. It can be quite terrible to be forced to explain personal matters to people you are not ready to talk to it about. ;_;

Is it possible to tell people not to discuss your flesh-world self online? It sounds like someone did not realise that you were not comfortable with revealing too much about yourself to the forum at large, but maybe a warning could prevent it? ^_^'

Hope some of that was helpful, and that the convention was fun.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Hopefully. If it hasn't though, we're all here.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

27. - Top - End - #957
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post

No offense and I'm sure you're a lovely person, but avocados have never been to my taste.

No worries, I'm not really a huge fan myself, hence their divergence to the far side of the alignment.

I don't actually remember when I originated this forum name but I vaguely remember it being associated with a comic I wrote in the first grade of the same name...
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I wish there was a "like" button on this board. EvilAvocado, you've made my day :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Thank you to Grinner for the epic avatar!

28. - Top - End - #958
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    Aww, well hopefully everything is calmer now. That can't be a fun feeling, I'm sorry that the stress and worry was there to begin with. I tend to drink a nip of Jameson before I go to bed......help me relax
    I've switched to milk with a splash of baileys. Tastier, and I need more milk in my diet anyways.

Zorg: Don't know what to say. That could be... Bad. But it could also work out pretty well. I dunno. Best of luck, though. Just gotta be careful about how you cross digital- and meat-space I suppose.

Should probably take that to heart...

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

I just stay up on forums all night when I should be writing instead
    That works equally as well
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Siuis - glad to go boldy forward, getting my face electrocuted, shooting myslef with lasers and so on so you can all learn from my experience

All - Firstly thanks for all the support, it is a great relief to have somewhere to run away to and hide in
    Put my foot down on it being really, really weird discussing my gender and most of them seem to have got it, so should be ok.
    Will need to be more vigilant in the future though.

Ok, now really need to sleep.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.