New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Ultimate Conflict (Of Havens and Empires) IC

Hearing Wero, Celestica, and especially Rahja's concerns, Usabhar takes a long, hefty sigh. "...You have spoken then. I would rather be off on my own but I shall accompany together then. I hope what you mean is correct when you say separating for a time limits our progress." With that he gives a nod as he is set to go off to Bytopia.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Traveling to Bytopia, you arrive on the peaceful plains of Dothion. Soft, rolling hills and well-tended pastures and meadows surround you, though you can see a village in the far distance. Up above you, you can all see the untamed wilds of Shurrock. If any of you have ever been to Bytopia in the past, you can tell that something in the air seems to be missing.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Once away from the congregation, Rahja informs Selayna that she'll be heading to Bytopia to find what has befallen the plane and what is happening to the multiverse.

In Bytopia, the aasimar takes a deep breath as she looks upon the beautiful fields surrounding her and the far-reachign wilds above. As she exhales, she realizes that that feeling of coming home she usually has when going to the good-aligned planes is missing, like how jarring it is to hear a familiar song suddenly lacking an usually barely consciously audible instrument. Although looking untouched on the surface, it is sad to see this place in such a state.

"Perhaps the villagers know what has been happening here or, failing that, the gods that are at home here." With that, Rahja's shining wings emerge from her back and she gently levitates off the ground before flying forward at Celestica's usual (considerable) speed. Perhaps further details will reveal themselves along the way. If they happen upon a significant plant like a large, ancient tree, Rahja stops to ask it about the change of the plane's atmosphere.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rahja keeps everyone's Overcharge refreshed at +10/100THP as usual.

Rahja has continuous Speak with plants

4. - Top - End - #514

SwashbucklerGuy

Arriving on Bytopia with the others, Usabhar takes a look around the peaceful plains of Dothion. The place comes off as odd to him compared to the more desolate and highly dangerous lands of Kulomen. This place was hardly one he belonged in and hoped to get this over with as soon as he can. A bit of sourness from him came due to his ideas with the gods not working out. He hopes following this path won't have a serious determent in the future.

As Rahja reveals her wings and begins to fly off, Usabhar calls out to her quickly. "You said you knew someone here. Who is that person?" He waits for a response before beginning to make his way over to the village. The calm nature of the world contrasts with his always-combat-ready nature. He is more used to worlds where the majority of things are out to try and kill him and just tends to prefer such worlds due to knowing them so well. "How well does everyone know this world if any of you have been here before?"
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-12-24 at 11:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja halts. "I meant Selayna. Mortals, celestials, beasts, they are all anxious and restless here. Murder, theft and other crimes are on the rise and the gods are too busy to calm them down. So it'd be best we avoid violence where possible, guide them back to the way things were." She pauses briefly. "Carceri might experience something similar right now, just... inverted. Being moved from evil towards good. They are on exactly opposite sides of the Great Wheel, after all."

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Celestica looks around as the group arrives on Bytopia.

So, what are the special rules of this plane?

For all her experience, its clear that Celestica has never been to this plane, and in fact, her outer planar experience in general is very limited.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

"If memory serves me right, the only real differences to the material plane are that gravity points towards the layer that you are closer to and that deities can change the landscape at will."

Celestica
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to ask me anything you'd like to know.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

On the way to town, you don't seem to pass any significant plants any larger than a common apple tree. Most of the larger vegetation, it would seem, grows far above you. In the village, a rural farming town, few people are walking about outside and most of those that are are busily working out in the fields.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

9. - Top - End - #519
    Colossus in the Playground

So stuff is said in the Meeting Grounds. From there a violation of the fundamental tranquility of Bytopia is performed. An arcane tear in the barriers in the multiverse opens, allowing the Tyrant of Emanacal to transplant his gargantuan form to the upper plane from the center of the Astral.

Right where the other planar travelers made their way into the village. He appears otherwise normal, otherwise quite bemused.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

If necessary, Rahja tries to calm the people down as Wero appears.

Looking at the people that are there, Rahja listens to her Zen Spheres to gain a deeper insight into what troubles them and perhaps where that comes from.

11. - Top - End - #521

SwashbucklerGuy

Arriving at the villiage, Usabhar shakes his head slowly as he sees Wero in his full, draconic form. This was a time for diplomacy, not interrogation. Regardless he lets Rahja calm down those who are terrified by Wero while the dwarf ventures around to examine the various buildings. Once more, he finds interest in seeing how the homes of these people differ from those of his kingdom's. If he will be traveling many planes and worlds, might as well take a time to learn if it may be useful.

Looking for a villager who is not too busy with his or her work, Usabhar clears his throat to get the villager's attention. "Excuse me," he begins in a modest, if gruff tone, "I am new to this world. Are there any deities or elders here that I may be able to speak to?"

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

(awaiting the reaction of the populace to Wero's appearance, she will work to calm people if there is going to be a panic)
    (also waiting for people's reaction to Usabhar's questions
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The citizens, quite understandably, seem to be quite upset about the sudden and unannounced presence of a a nonmetallic dragon in their midst. Screaming in raw panic and confusion, those who are out on the fields attempt to retreat back into their homes.

Rahja/Celestica:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't believe that full-round action diplomacy exists in pathfinder rules (except for making requests of indifferent+ NPCs) so how do you plan on calming them

Rahja:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before all of their more imminent concerns turned to "DRAGONDRAGONOHGODADRAGON", most of their concerns seemed to be rather typical, at least for the material plane. The earth isn't as fertile as it has always been, the cattle are getting sick, fewer people are coming by, someone in town ended his life for the first time in living memory, the few archons near the town are acting on edge, there hasn't been any news from the gnomish pantheon, and trade is in the decline. Even with all of that, however, you still get the impression that most of these peasants are far better off than they'd be in the material plane, at least for the moment.

14. - Top - End - #524

It is now Lord Wero's turn to roll his eyes. This was not an uncommon thing, even in the Empire, whose people should know full well their very race's right to exist hangs on the arbitrary whim of a chromatic dragon. Even announced visits are often met with the usual response one would expect from peasants at the sight of a massive dragon.

He raises a hand in a disarming gesture, offering a small, practiced speech to hopefully at least bring a few of them into a sense of security.
    At ease, Byopians. I come bearing no intentions against yourselves or your communities. All I ask is to answer a few questions, questions of critical importance. Cooperate and I will leave, having passed no harm unto you, so says the High Lord of the Empire of the Eternal Eclipse.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy
    (1d20+55)[65]

Also, log onto Steam, RoC!

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Please, everyone, stay calm. The dragon is not here to attack, we are only here to ask questions. We will leave as soon as we are done. By Hanali's grace, I swear it is so.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+60)[65] Diplomacy
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja shakes her head at Wero simply appearing in the middle of the village before she turns back to the panicking crowd. Raising up higher and away from the group, Rahja begins to sing a well-known celestial tune sung during gatherings, one expressing unity and safety. Her voice reaches far, inviting them to come closer to her and ignore the dragon, hoping a celestial being will be able to reach them and that some may even join singing the song.

Once the song has ended, Rahja gently floats down to the earth again, but does not make her wings disappear. "Be at ease, friends, the dragon will cause you no harm. We are here to seek the source of the troubles that have befallen the Twin Paradises." The aasimar looks at the crowd around her, her Zen Spheres slowly drifting around her. "We simply seek a few answers, just as Hanali Celanil's faithful paladin and the High Lord have said." She indicates Celestica and Wero accordingly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mass suggestion bardic performance, Will DC 36 to make them come closer and focus on Rahja.
    Perform take 10 result 157, if needed.
    Rahja's voice has 11 times the usual range due to Master Performer.

After that, take 10 on diplomacy for 157 to calm them, explain the situation and request a few answers to their questions.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2012-12-27 at 08:42 AM.

17. - Top - End - #527

SwashbucklerGuy

Unsurprised at the village's freakout at Wero and the lack of response to his question, Usabhar shakes his head at the sight. If the High Lord wants attention, he showed an easy way to do it. Sargti wouldn't give the same reaction to the dragon, instead readying weapons in preparation for combat when they don't know if the dragon is friend or foe. Such is the way of typical mortals, Usabhar thinks to himself. The dwarf always thought of his kingdom superior to most others in terms of will and weaponry, which he believes is the most important thing for a warrior. Many times the dwarf wonders whether towns and kingdoms are in a bigger need for more protection; had there be a city guard of some sort, maybe such panic wouldn't occur.

With Rahja and Celestica were already on the matter of calming the populace down, Usabhar decides that he had no need of assisting, instead having a look around the rest of the village for some sort of house that the village leader would be in. If there isn't anything the group can find among the villagers then it'd be more likely that one can find info from the leader.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-12-27 at 10:14 AM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Emperor Ing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the absence. My computer resets itself every now and then and I'm not always the best about logging back into all of my things when I get back in. I've spent much of the past week wondering what had happened to you (I only use steam for chat so it's not always obvious to me).

Rahja's suggestion seems to slow the panicking villagers down long enough for your combined efforts to calm them down. Hesitant to return to the field but no longer apprehensive to your presence, they calmly await your questions.

19. - Top - End - #529

SwashbucklerGuy

As the populace calms down and Rahja and Celestica hopefully get on with asking questions, Usabhar walks over to the High Lord whose presence caused this whole mess in the first place. "And what was the point of that?" The dwarf spoke to Wero in a stern and frustrated (for a paragon) tone. "I saw no reason to panic the civilians. We are here on a diplomatic mission, not to bring people to submission. Back at my kingdom, the dwarves of Sargti welcome most to our home, only retaliating to those who arm weapons to us... As well as the undead and demons, neither of which have I seen one good soul of."

20. - Top - End - #530

Their concerns and fears regarding my person are irrelevant. He replies softly to the Paragon God, not even appearing the slightest bit phased by his tone.Or at least hiding it very well.
    This is my favored form, one I will bear unless necessity dictates otherwise. They choose to fear this form, that is their prerogative, but please understand it also places the burden of responsibility on them, not me.

21. - Top - End - #531

SwashbucklerGuy

"So they chose to fear your form, that's the manner usual mortals have," Usabhar speaks up in response. "However responsibility is given to you, you are responsible for deciding on your form; nothing changes that." The dwarf gives a look around at the populace again before continuing to speak to Wero. "Do you even think that it is good to be feared? Has it always been the preference of fear over kind respect and love that you have used to rule your empire High Lord?"

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Time is precious, so Rahja lets Usabhar and Wero sort out the discussion about the latter's lack of awareness and understanding. Also, she relates her Zen Spheres' findings to Celestica. "Can you tell me since when times have been more difficult than usual for this plane? Did something peculiar happen recently? Also, I'd appreciate it if you could point us towards the gnomish gods' domains as well as where we can find angels nearby."

Spoiler
    Show
    What Rahja learned through her Zen Spheres is in the second-to-last update, in the Rahja only spoiler tag.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2012-12-28 at 12:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #533

To paraphrase the Talian Political Philosopher Niccolo Machiavelli: It's best to be both feared and loved, but when one is forced to choose it is safer to be feared than loved. The nature of Man is, in general, ungrateful, fickle, false, cowardly, covetous. They can be relied upon in your success and with no need but when the need is there they will turn against you. The prince who relies upon their promises, having neglected other precautions, is ruined, for friendships obtained by favor and not by greatness or superiority, is favor that may be earned but is not secured, and therefore cannot be relied upon.

If it matters, Machiavelli was a human speaking of other humans. I hope this answers your question.

24. - Top - End - #534

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar simply shakes his head at Wero's argument. "So one 'philosopher' stated that, and you choose to follow it? You sound like you were desperate to reach out for ideals." A small flaw with Usabhar is that he has no idea what a philosopher is; theology is not a well-developed thing among his kingdom of Sargti. "I however follow on experience. I will not lie that people may be cruel, ungrateful, insignificant, or fickle. However the act of believing such is only trying to spread a plague that will eventually turn against itself. In Sargti, the dwarves treat each other as comrades and brethren while the senate watches over the safety of their people like a guardsman to his noble. To the allies we may meet, we welcome them with open arms and give responsibilities to ourselves to protect them. With the allies who join, we grow stronger from it. And to the enemies that attack us, we fight in defense, only launching a campaign against them when they are a danger to more than us. I moved against the frost giants after over a hundred years of defending against them. When I won, they became a part of my kingdom but retained their culture and ways; I didn't force assimilation and made them equals to us. Now the dwarves assist the frost giants as they are our allies. We do not make the frost giants fear us, we made them learn to think of us as their guardians, giving an open palm in front of them, not a closed fist like your ways go. There are benefits in altruism and doing good. I could have easily slayed the entire population of frost giants had I decided to, but had I done that it would have been both a waste of life, culture, and benevolence that does exist in the multiverse."

25. - Top - End - #535

Lord Wero leans back, grinning at the Paragon with a mischievous leer that he feels also radiates some modicum of respect. They fear you. he plainly says with a nod.

Your people have defeated the Frost Giants once before. They know to not raise arms except in your defense. Understand that fear is not terror. You fear gravity but do not live in terror of it, because you know full well what behavior will evoke retribution. The same is true concerning the Frost Giants. They fear you but respect your ability to secure authority more than they fear whatever seeks your mutual destruction. If you can earn their respect at the same time, then the long-term security of your world is assured. Though in my opinion I think you're a fool to not seek assimilation.

What culture or customs existed with the Frost Giants that caused them to seek warfare against your people? I would argue the merits of your people's culture was tested in battle against that of the Frost Giants', and yours proved superior, even given their superior strength. Even with your vaunted magnanimity, it is only a matter of time before the Frost Giants, seeing you as weak, rise again.

Only fear can keep them in check. When you open your palm to them, let them expect a sword. They understand now the consequences of treachery, but an open palm breeds complacency, and complacency breeds rebellion. Let them see the headsman's axe or keep them in line through their dependence on your existence. For me, I find it more cost-effective to remind my subjects of my might, and to oppose me is to evoke a fate far worse than whatever they were doomed to suffer under their petty inconveniences and misfortunes. If I may be completely honest, I need rebels to keep my ideals from becoming stagnant. Without them I may become complacent.

26. - Top - End - #536

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar simply crosses his arms at Wero's provocative argument towards him. "So they may fear me," he begins confidently, "but they also love and happily respect me and my kingdom. My weapon is always on my back, but never in my hand when I reach out to them. They already understand the first time about the mistakes of aggression. It is part of the nature of mortals to learn and understand; to not be able to are the roles belonging to undead and demons, not humans or frost giants. Though the frost giants still hold the stigma of losing to Sargti, they know that we firstly and formally think of them as friends and allies. Through this, complacency does not come and rebellion does not happen."

"In addition to that, we decided for them to keep their culture because they are happier because of it. Through keeping what they follow and are familiar with, they don't need to force their old ways up and have to learn other ways. In the state of learning when going through assimilation, the frost giants would be weaker in not knowing such traditions they may not want to learn; and we both know weakness is something our enemies may take advantage of."

"In fact, ruling through only fear brings in course another problem. Those who fear you are not happy and as a result, does not trust you if they do not love you as well. When they are not happy or trusting of their ruler, they may want to side with a different leader. If there is another leader great in power who wishes to oppose you, your people may choose to side with them if they prefer to make people love them instead of fear them." Usabhar narrows his eyes. "Perhaps this is what the Boiler Man wants all along, to let you rule your people in fear so that he may easily convert your people to his side when he makes his attempt to overthrow your empire."
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-12-28 at 08:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537

You mistake fear for terror. He says plainly. Fear is the anticipation of negative consequences as a result of certain behaviors. Terror is the anticipation of negative consequences as a result of the arbitrary will of authority.
    He reaches into his cloak and pulls out a book, barely bite-sized in his hand, yet a visibly large book to humanoid standards.

The list of what begets consequences in the Empire is written and published in plain Standard for all to see, and has been translated in hundreds of languages. I command the might of an army billions strong, and my subjects know full well that my eyes and ears are always watching. They fear me, but they know not terror because they know what behavior begets consequences. To pledge allegiance to another, barring certain unique circumstances, is one such behavior that will evoke these consequences. The Eclipsian subject fears me more than they would hate me. And why would they hate me?

Have I not provided for them? Have my laws not granted their lives peace, safety, security, stability, and prosperity? Am I not a fair sovereign?
    Usabhar would probably get the impression that although these questions may be better off unanswered, whether or not they're rhetorical.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

For now, Celestica chooses to let Usabhar have his dialogue with Wero without her sticking her opinions in. Wero already knows full well that Celestica agrees with Usabhar more than she agrees with him, and perhaps hearing from a second (and later, more) voice will make him think longer on the subject.
    She waits with Rahja to hear the answers the villagers give to her questions, hoping that they will lead them to the path they need to take.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The citizens, paying more attention to Rahja than to Usabhar's and Wero's conversation, seem to silently glance among one another until one of them steps forward, an elderly man with a somewhat more regal bearing. "Things were going fine until a couple of weeks before those cracks started showing up in the sky. I think Mad Grod might've been the first to see things. He was going on about the end of the world before anyone else noticed anything. If you want to find him, he lives in a tower over yonder. Take heed, though, cause he's not really all the way there, if you get my meaning." Pointing in the exact opposite direction, he continues, "If it's celestials your looking for, your best shot are the lotus fields by the edge of the placid sea if you're in a hurry. Used to be able to find them almost anywhere and you can still stumble across one or two if you look long enough. Seem to be more secretive of late, though, so good luck gaining anything out of them."

At long last, the man points in a third direction, singling out a series of hills on the horizon. "If it's the gnomes you want, they all live on the golden hills, though you've picked a rotten time to visit. When the cracks broke out, Glittergold was lost in the conflict. Rumor has it that the whole lot of them are in mourning."
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2012-12-28 at 11:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja bows. "Thank you, this will help us greatly." She turns to Celestica. "Do you have any questions?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Inspire Fecundity's plant growth effect only work while Rahja is within one mile of a plant or do the plants remain infused with that tenfold yield effect?