New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Ultimate Conflict (Of Havens and Empires) IC

Usabhar could feel his worries fading as he hears the chant. Though hardly the same chant, it reminds him of ones that he has heard from the frost giants of Il'Kanaen. Their war chants are fascinating to the dwarf and much of it has been something that he is usually glad to hear nowadays when Sargti and Il'Kanaen march to battle together as allies. For Usabhar, morale is something not affected by cheers or chants; Sargti is always endlessly willing to fight so they may survive and rebuild Kulomen. Morale was something they learned from the frost giants, and though the dwarves may not need it as much, everyone else is driven by it. It is one of those things Usabhar is still understanding about.

When the chanting is done and the world fades into something else, Usabhar finds himself looking around in sheet astonishment. His face may seem uninterested but frantic motions of his body prove otherwise. Eventually he looks towards the blue crystal, seeing Rahja trying to heal it. The dwarf walks closely up to the aasimar, keeping eyes on the others in the meantime. "Where is 'this?'" His voice is gruff, but confused at the sight of it all. He looks to Wero for a moment, half-expecting the High Lord sorcerer to know.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Grod walks up to the crystal with Rahja and watches her perform her magic. As she channels her healing energies through the passive stone, the shard to have just fallen off seems to regrow, though the growth is minor compared to the size of the stone as a whole.

Turning to Usabhar, Grod speaks up before Wero can speak, "We're in the plains around my tower, the entire 10-mile radius held within a small spiritual realm. I assure you, though, we haven't left Bytopia."
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #573

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar takes pause at Grod's explanation as the dwarf tries to figure out whether the orc truly is mad or not. The place looks believable enough but something still seemed very off about it. Curiously he examines the crystal that Rahja healed. It's uniqueness is there but everything else about it is unknown to him. Slowly Usabhar reaches for the crystal to touch it, asking in the meantime, "And what of this crystal? Does it hold imagery of that we face or the life force of this world?"

He wants to know much of Bytopia and how other worlds work compared to his own; he finds touching the crystal might be a good way to begin knowing such things though risky it may be. In the meantime he asks his companions a question. "Rahja, Celestica, High Lord, do any of you know anything on how worlds are sustained? I've always thought and known that worlds are shaped and powered from the wills of gods and mortals alike."
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-01-07 at 11:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Colossus in the Playground

I was in the understanding that the planes of existence are the manifestations of bound Sidereals, the layers of each plane being a Sidereal of lesser power. He looks to the crystal, continuing matter-of-factly Such are the beliefs of Emanacalians. I could be wrong but I think what we're looking at is the physical manifestation of a being whom is to deities what deities are to mortals. And it's dying.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-01-07 at 11:48 AM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Some hope, but also disappointment cross Rahja's face as she silently glides back again, touchign the ground again beside her soul mate. "Even my greatest powers are hardly more than a drop in the pond." Gently, she grasps Celestica's hand, giving it a squeeze almost saying "I tried", perhaps to reassure herself. "Was there a connection to the plane of positive energy before? Perhaps we could post-pone the crystal's decay that way."

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

At Wero's explanation, Grod seems to look over in interest. "We see that you're well informed, if a bit mistaken. The... sidereal, you called it? It is dead. Gone and dead. What you see here is... soul of only the plains surrounding my tower. Bytopia is already dead, you see. All that people live on are thousands and thousands of these spirits. Even the landscapes can't survive forever without an essence behind them, sadly."

Usabhar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking at Grod, his face seems at once vacant and obsessive, seemingly ignoring his own warnings of mass terracide and instead glaring longingly at the crystal as if it were a child or lover.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

7. - Top - End - #577

A thought clicks in Lord Wero's mind. If the Sidereal Cults were right in the first place, clearly there is only one logical conclusion, if there are others they have yet to occur to the High Lord. So...what is causing this plane's decay is the death of its Sidereals. I would wager it to be a recent death, right? Furthermore these spirits bound to this crystal are able to keep what remains of Bytopia in existance. You're keeping an already dead body on life-support to suspend atrophy and decay, which would result in the destruction of this plane.

Is this correct?
    The High Lord doesn't sound particularly angry anymore, more interested in trying to solve this puzzle. Grod may come out of this encounter alive after all.

8. - Top - End - #578

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar is silent at Grod's and Wero's explanations on this dimension. He got the idea on how this dimension works and the crystal's job, but for now, that isn't the important part of this situation. The dwarf eyes the orc carefully. He can see how Grod looks so vacant and fascinated in the crystal, like it's the only thing he has left. A simple desire and lack of will in one orc seems to be causing the decay of the entire plane. An act of simply giving up like this disgusts the dwarf and wouldn't allow it to stay like this.

After Wero finishes, Usabhar speaks up to speak to the orc. His voice full of disrespect and disappointment. "So in that case, why do you keep the crystal at all then? I see something wrong about all this." He narrows his eyes on Grod. "Your expressions and mood when looking towards the crystal looks like that you keep the crystal for a personal reason, not one in warning of the end of the world. You look like one who has given up on the world with this crystal being all that you desire left. Though the Sidereal may be dead, it's your actions that is bringing this world into it's end."

"...And I ask, why? Why is it that one's will has grown weak enough to do this to his plane?" Usabhar is confused; no dwarf nor giant would be enough of a fool do be so self-destructive to his own world. So why would an orc do so then?

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Again Grod nods at what most of Wero says, though with a bit of a frown on his face. When he talks, he sounds more like a specialized sage than an insane barbarian druid. "Again, mostly correct. We're not quite sure "life-support" is the proper term, though. When a living creature dies, the different organs and parts of the creature die one at a time. Right now, the heart and deeper parts of the plane are gone but the physical presence is lingering on. Thankfully, it takes far longer for a plane to die than a person. We do what we can to slow things, mind you, but we have no illusions of holding things up forever. We just want to wait until the right moment to die and to buy time for those who wish to live."

Listening to Usabhar's comments, Grod fidgets with his own hand and absentmindedly scratches his nose with his fangs. "Personal... yes. Were are... were, maybe... geomancers. We have attuned ourselves with these crystals, both of these planes and the lands immediately around them. It has granted us... influence over the earth. We have... been... this earth for too long. We don't think that we could... can..." Grod trails off as he gently runs one hand down the side of the crystal.

10. - Top - End - #580

So apparently the mass planar collapse is a result of the sidereals dying. The Inner Planes fell probably because they have few support mechanisms or any real essences that could postpone the death of the plane, like what is happening here. There is probably at least one Mad Grod on each plane, postponing that plane's destruction with the unwitting sacrifice of thousands of petitioners unaware of their own imminent annihilation. Tell me: Do you know what is killing these Sidereals?

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Grod shakes his head, clearly frustrated at his lack of knowledge, "This is the closest that we've ever reached to them. Maybe someone is killing them off. Maybe its a disease... or a poison. There is no way to know."

Shaking his head once more, Grod's gaze seems to settle on Celestica for the first time. Eyes seeming to fall out of focus before returning, he hesitantly asks, "How... how long have you been here?"

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica is a little surprised by the question.

Ive been here all the time, I was the first member of our group to speak to you. Dont you remember?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #583

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar shakes his head slowly at Grod's absentmindedness. There was something horribly off about it, talking about "influence over the earth" and being "this earth." What was that all supposed to mean? The dwarf would simply be grateful with the cause being something he could withstand with his will and cut down with his axe, not philosophical magic whose abilities go beyond his beliefs. By what has happened to the orc, Usabhar thinks to himself that orcs would be better with a blade than to temper with cosmic forces and Sidereals.

And when he sees that he has apparently forgotten about Celestica, Usabhar questions the entire plane's relative "safety" being put in the hands of an orc geomancer like Grod. The dwarf taps his foot on the "floor" as he tries to attract Grod's attention. "Does your mind forget such things so easily? I have not gotten an answer yet to my own question." Usabhar walks over to the crystal, edging himself between it and Grod despite the dwarf being smaller. "You have a personal connection with the crystal, but not because of the coming end. By what you have said, I get the feeling your words are false and you seek not to halt the end, but to bring it instead. You state that you and others have influence over the earth, and that you have 'been' this earth for too long." He glares fiercely at the orc. "By your words, can I presume you seek the end of the plane to try and recreate it with this crystal?"

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"But you... we think you might-" Abruptly drawn back to Usabhar, Grod watches, slack-jawed, as the dwarf makes his accusation. His response, scattered and incoherent, doesn't seem to know how it wants to attack your accusation. Whatever the case, Grod now seems thoroughly aggravated. "Others? There are no others. It's just us. The crystal isn't... We... our influence is not like... the crystal is a... vein for the heart. Does that make sense? We just control the... Why would we destroy our home? Show you the crystal... No, don't destroy the crystal. Even if you don't believe us, don't destroy that crystal. WE just control the flow to change small things... bring in the harvest, call in the rain, round up the beasts... that work. If you destroy the crystal, though... if you can... Just leave it alone."

Raising his hands to his nest and tearing out twigs in frustration, Grod turns back to Celestica, pleading with his gaze, "If we... if we could give you a scroll, would you be able to cast what's on it?"

OOC: If anyone wants a sense motive check, feel free to roll one.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2013-01-10 at 10:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

It would depend on what type of spell it was, if its nature was divine, I could cast it. Arcane spells are beyond me. But I think Rahja could cast either.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #586

Either Usabhar wants to destroy the crystal or it's something the foul Orc wants him to think. Regardless, the High Lord muses over Grod's words with increased scrutiny. Get to the point then, Orc. What do you intend for us now that we are brought here? If it is just to cast the magic from that scroll, then I should inform you that I have...some knowledge of magic, as well as some that would allow me to use it from scrolls. He should remember to ask about the origin of said scroll.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive
    (1d20+43)[49]

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja watches the exchange quietly, feeling the turmoil and anguish. Finally, she inclines her head, looking at Grod. "What spell is it and what will happen if it is cast?"

Celestica
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe Grod is somehow able to sense that you are an anchor of the multiverse, which is why he wants you to cast it. Indeed, perhaps it would only unfold it's power coming from you if my assumption is correct.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive take 10 for 157.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2013-01-11 at 12:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar decides to come back to his accusations later and shakes his head slowly at the conversation of magic. "I know little of the sort in 'magic.' I am a warrior and guardian, not a sorcerer." He takes another look at the crystal in wonder, then looks to Wero to ask, "Pray tell me, what would occur if this crystal were to be destroyed rather than simply perish through time?"

Usabhar had no weapon out nor seemed excited to bring aggravation down on the crystal that binds thousands of spirits together. Instead the dwarf is simply curious, unknowing of many mystical things and seeking information from someone who doesn't talk in absentminded, half-insane dialogue like Grod does.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

@Rahja
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had forgotten about that fact. Hopefully it is a divine spell and we can test the theory, I can only cast those types.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wero & Rahja:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though the orc seems a tad unwell in the head, his frustration and confusion seems to be more towards the nature of the accusation, which, to Grod, is the rough approximation of a peasant declaring that you must be appeased with tuna because you are an anthill... so viciously and confusingly untrue that Grod literally couldn't tell where to start.

Rahja:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grod's mania seems to manifest itself in the belief that he is indeed several people (one speaker, one caster, one essence infused into the earth, and a scholar) and his difficulties responding the quick-shifting social terrain of large conversations like this one. You instantly know by his manner that your guess is correct and that he means no real harm.

Taking in and letting out a single deep breath, Grod seems to calm down as he digs through the inner pockets of his fur. When he opens his eyes, Grod seems far more focused and relaxed, straightening up to his full height. "We are currently in the plains around my home. If you destroy the crystal, this space will cease to exist and the plains themselves will follow. Thank you for your offer, Sir Dragon, but there is a reason I have asked your ally. The spell in question is a divine spell, though a friend in Arcadia has devised an arcane version if you are interested." Finally drawing out the scroll, Grod hands the rolled up vellum over to Celestica.

21. - Top - End - #591

The High Lord locks his gaze into the Orc, burrowing into his soul the extent of his displeasure for such a patronizing term. The nerve of the Orc! Doesn't he know how to speak to his superiors? "Sir Dragon?" I am the High Lord of the Empire of the Eternal Eclipse, and I deserve to be addressed as my station demands, or not at all.

He resumes a more neutral stance. However I wonder: how did this scroll come about?

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate
    (1d20+65)[79]

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica takes the scroll from the orc, ignoring the rest of the byplay between him and Lord Wero. She studies it carefully for a moment and then unrolls it. She takes a moment to cast a Read Magic on herself and then reads the scroll, taking care not to actually activate the magic contained on it.

(1d20+42)[62] Know: Religion (to identify the spell)

And what exactly is this spell and what will it do?

EDIT: And with a roll of 20, she should have some idea of what it is already and will be able to judge if he is lying.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-01-11 at 11:04 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Celestica
    Spoiler
    Show
    I sense that I was right and Grod means no harm.

24. - Top - End - #594

SwashbucklerGuy

Hearing about the destruction of the crystal tying in with that of the planes, Usabhar nods silently as he backs away from it. He saw no point in the destruction of such a thing so long as it was trying to fight against it's own fate. His shoulders drop a bit when Wero responds in his arrogance for the orc calling him by "Sir Dragon." To Usabhar, name did not mean much. Whether he was called "Usabhar," "drawf," "paragon," or even less appreciative titles like "brute," he showed no sort of annoyance for it. With so much in the world going on, Usabhar believes that a name shouldn't tie a person's existence around.

For now Usabhar watches Celestica identify and read the scroll as he wonders what in the world it might do to the crystal, or to Bytopia as a whole.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Grod, at last properly frightened by the simmering rage of a gigantic dragon, bows deeply in apology. "I'm afraid that I know not the words to address one of such an illustrious position. As for the scroll, it was derived from the formulae in an ancient geomancer's tome. As for what it does... it will attune what remains of this space to our elven friend here. Consider it a bequeathal, I suppose."

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

"What do you say, love?" Rahja asks, looking to her soul mate. Whatever her decision is, the aasimar trusts her wisdom and life experience.

27. - Top - End - #597

SwashbucklerGuy

While it is good to hear that the scroll will apparently assist in keeping the plane intact, Usabhar lightly scoffs at the thought that they would actually be relying on the fae to help save the multiverse. Regardless, it is the only plan they have for now so the dwarf would not make any arguments about another plan. "If it is our only plan, then it is probably best to take it before things get worse," he says, trying to hide any grim feelings about the idea that the fae may simply be playing an awful trick on them.

Seeing Grod's miserable reaction to Wero, Usabhar decides to quietly whisper to the orc. "Just refer to him as the High Lord." Considering the dragon's distasteful outlook he's had ever since meeting Grod, Usabhar would prefer to avoid violence while the opportunity is still there.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica takes a deep breath, the responsibility of holding an entire plane of existance together is not something you do on a whim. Nevertheless, the sphere proved she was one of those responsible and she never shirked responsibility.
    Calming her mind and readying herself to use magic (not the most common thing in her life), Celestica called on the inner wisdom of Hanali to guide her and then calmly read off the scroll, activating its power this time.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Calling upon the power contained within the scroll, the paper burns away into a bright white light as ancient runes race through Celestica's mind. Slowly, the crystal changes to a light green coloration and seems to almost glow as if full of energy.

"There," says Grod, sounding quite satisfied, "now this plane should have a bit more kick left in it... assuming your survival, of course. In the meantime, you should possess the power to take us back to the mortal realm."

30. - Top - End - #600

So what did she just do?