New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Ultimate Conflict (Of Havens and Empires) IC

Rahja, back in her original form, immediately tends to the people. Even with their efforts, so many people died, far too many to bring back from the dead. Regardless of how monstrous the empire might be, this is a horrifying truth, making the healer wish her healing was more potent. Even more saddening is that during that half hour, 2000 more dragons rampaged unhindered, many more souls probably lost now. Beseeching the gods once more, Rahja at least hopes to save a few more from death and destruction by evacuating them through another gate. Though her ability to do so is rapidly declining.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Colossus in the Playground

Minaeyoch resolves to yank Zurkar from his stupor as the two retreat through a portal before the battle really began.

By the end of the hour the High Lord cuts down his last draconic construct. His attacks becoming more mechanical throughout the battle. He's almost disappointed there aren't foes to continue his rhythm. Almost. Looking around, he sees the battlefield for what it really is, strewn with mangled adamantium bodies and debris from buildings. And the occasional body of a lesser creature but those aren't important. It's victory! These things might be able to be beaten! Mere seconds after the last adamantium construct falls, the High Lord looks to the sky, arms and wings spread in a mighty display as he gives a powerful roar of victory.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Italics indicating thoughts

Too great the cost to celebrate Celestica continues to move through the crowd, healing as she can. We have to make sure a battle like this never happens again. Rahja alone can also feel something else from Celestica...guilt.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja can only stare for a moment. This is enough. "If He-Who-Can't-Handle-His-Own-Name is quite done, do I need to remind you that there are thousands of constructs wrecking your planet and slaughtering the population, the people who live under your rule? Oh wait, nevermind, I doubt you mind a couple of additional moons and a planet-wide concept piece of art. Let's call it 'failure'. Do go on, then." This is probably the first time she has turned to (caustic) sarcasm in a while, but Wero might be the worst ruler she has to suffer being in the presence of so far making an ass of himself once again.

5. - Top - End - #1325

From his position the High Lord looks down to his critic. If you have nothing constructive to say then you would be well-advised to not say it. He looks across the horizon, trying to discern landmarks and direction. They will try and target population centers and major centers of commerce. I saw several fly out in directions far beyond what would be needed to reach the Citadel. The nearest other city would be in that direction. He says, pointing.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival check to discern direction for locating a city
    (1d20+16)[27]

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

"Then move it." Rahja just answers as she is trying to make sure the victims of the more grievous wounds are going to make it.

7. - Top - End - #1327

Does she have an apprenticeship? Because she is picking up so many of her traits. At the very least he knows their language well enough to speak it. Other innocents are going to be slaughtered the longer we wait, and I am most likely your fastest method of transportation. He says this as he lowers his arm in front of Celestica and Usabhar, expecting them to climb on.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

I will leave when Rahja is ready to leave, I have a duty to care for the wounded. Its partly my fault after all.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja shakes her head. "Go. You are needed elsewhere. I am a healer, I am needed here right now. I'll follow as soon as I can."

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

With one look back at the scene of devastation, Celestica gets onboard the High Lord.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #1331

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    I have a duty to care for the wounded. Its partly my fault after all.
    Lord Wero arches an eyebrow in concern, or would if he had eyebrows, as he lets Celestica climb onto his arm.I don't understand. What could you have done to cause this?
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-08-28 at 01:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

I was the one who told all the civilians to remain in the plaza, to remain in one spot for the gate to re-open. That decision herded them all into one position for a mass attack by dragon gas. At least if they had spread out, the dragons couldnt have picked off so many at one time.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

With the last mechanical dragon finished, Usabhar places his two weapons on the back of his metal strap as he usually does, finding no need to remove them from the sight considering this was not the entire army that had been brought here to Emanacal. With more still on the planet the dwarf has no time to delay and help the injured; Rahja and Celestica as they are currently stand can help while he can head off instead.

Usabhar keeps himself out of the rather heated argument that occurs with the group, not content with making crazed accusations towards each other. While he agrees that everyone else can't simply let Wero act like this as things continue, trying to convince the dragon, especially in hard times like these would be nearly impossible. It will be best to try later when things have calmed down, though the dwarf believes that someone like Zurkar, who knows Wero best, would have a chance of Wero learning from his own faults.

For now, the dwarf gruffly accepts the High Lord's offer as he huffs up upon the dragon's arm. For one such a small as he, Wero can note that Usabhar weights notably more than any other dwarf he knows. Usabhar takes a look over to Celestica, who appears in worry of the destruction of the city. "You do not need to come if you wish to treat the injured here," Usabhar states to the elf, looking at Rahja in the distance. "The High Lord and myself shall be fine with the other cities if you so choose to be with Rahja for now." Considering Rahja's frustration before, the dwarf believes that Rahja might like Celestica's company and assistance around the capital, though that is up to Celestica in the end. He had no doubt about the elf's fighting prowess but wants to be sure that she will not be doubtful heading into battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will post for Nasiri in a bit, thought I'd get something down for now.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-08-29 at 05:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1334

The High Lord is silent for a moment, trying to connect the dots. It's obvious how this conclusion may have been reached but something about it ringed false. Regardless he felt he had to give some comforting words. They were going to be picked off, and you didn't know how long that gate was going to remain open. It's not your fault, you did what you thought was best at the time. Besides, when they encircled my subjects, they had to stand shoulder-to-shoulder to maximize exposure. Did you notice? There were hundreds, maybe thousands of dragons on the outside of that circle completely unable to attack because their friends were in the way. If anything, that probably saved lives just as much as THEM being clumped into one place, so we could destroy them all more quickly and efficiently, did.

Point is, you did what seemed right at the time, and although you feel bad that lives were lost, you probably saved more lives doing it than would have otherwise been saved.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica says no more as she gets onboard for transport to the next hot spot, but her expression is thoughtful as she processes the High Lord's words, both their initial meaning and something else they may represent.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #1336

Hold! He commands to nobody in particular as he jumps into the air and his wings extend out, catching the air, and with a few mighty flaps, send the trio rocketing to the next city. I would get comfortable. Even at my speed it will be some time before we get there. Keep an eye open for any of these adamantium monstrosities. Each individual counts.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thankfully, most of the wounds of those who remain in town are relatively minor. The dragons appear to have killed just about anyone who they managed to damage at all, though a couple of warriors sustained a bit before the attacking dragon fell in battle. Far more injuries result from trampling or the hasty retreat out of homes.

Oddly, however, while Rahja can feel a bit of fear in the surrounding lands, actual pain and death seem rather sparse on Emanacal. As some of you fly to the next nearest city, you see no signs of destruction beyond the failing of a few pieces of arcane architecture. Of course, you aren't quite at the city just yet to make the final appraisal.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

18. - Top - End - #1338

So I have been meaning to ask. Lord Wero says while in flight. How is it that my son came to be on Emanacal? That false moon should have shut down the Portal.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

The false moon did shut down the Portal, and all arcane magic. But Rahja's spells are mostly divine and thus she was able to open gates to allow travel. That's also why I was able to stay effective in battle, I was able to call upon my divine connections to Hanali.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #1340

So Divine Magic still works? He turns to look on the moon. This battle would be over already when that moon falls, if only there was a way for divine magic to destroy it. However I also need to know whether or not the rogue golem incursions were put-down.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

With another gate open to evacuate the people (which... now will not take as much time anymore...), Rahja sees that the guards have things under control, instructing them to get as many through as possible while they try to save more people.

Knowing no physical fatigue, Rahja takes to the sky and flies into the direction of the nearest city pointed out by Wero.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rahja is immune to fatigue and nonlethal damage, so she continuously "runs" for a speed of 600ft per round.

22. - Top - End - #1342

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar, simply looking out and waiting to see the draconic aggressors appear again, feels it might be best to try and get out what he can from the High Lord on the way. He waits for a pause in the conversation Wero has with Celestica, at which point Usabhar whispers in the High Lord's ear. "These dragons have once told me that the year, by their idea is '500 After Ascension.' My knowledge of your empire is lacking. Do you recall anything of nominal importance five hundred years ago?" Even when whispering, Usabhar's voice is rough as crushing gravel and stone. It isn't a pleasant thing for most to hear especially when it is right up near one's ear.

Up at the sphere, Nasiri doesn't expect to find all that much considering it has been practically abandoned. However to her surprise is the disabled body of Korshim, lying about attended to by no one but thin air and silence. "Now what is this?" She talks to herself, part-curious, part-humored, and part-agitated in all her confusion of the sight. "You leave all our sights so you can take a nap? You'd be lucky the High Lord hasn't tried whacking you with a par of his castle yet!" Speaking to a disabled robot generally does no good but Nasiri hopes that he's just either faking it or is simply sleeping. "Come on now, up and at 'em you dumb, worry-giving dragon!" While not exactly strong, Nasiri does try to coil her body around Korshim's body and begin dragging it across the sphere, hoping to get it down to the ground and perhaps out of the field of dead magic. With any luck all it'll take is a change of space to awaken this ginormous fool.

23. - Top - End - #1343

The High Lord thinks for a moment. What was happening 500 years ago? Five hundred years ago...I was marshalling armies, skirmishing against the Dwarves who held the Iron Citadel, what we now know as the Indigo Citadel. The Citadel fell 480 years ago, marking the year where I officially reset the calendar of Emanacal, and began the Seventh Era, or the Dawn of the Eclipse. Of course the rest of Emanacal will not recognize it until I unite the world under my banner 291 years ago. He looks around, looking up at the sky in particular. If anything in particular happened that began a chain of events that would eventually result in that, I do not think I know of it. Nevertheless, he endeavors to look back and think of what happened 500 years ago that would result in an "ascension" or something semi-related either through his own experiences or historical record.

Spoiler
    Show

History check
    (1d20+43)[46]

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rahja succeeds in opening further gates, though evacuating the entire populace may require more resources than suspected. Even with miracles tearing open gates 30 feet in diameter, only 5,000 or so citizens can make it through before the gate slams shut behind them.

Flying over to the nearest city, everything seems to be perfectly intact. There is, in fact, no attack to be seen. The guards are posted and the people clearly know that something is going on but order seems to have been maintained and most citizens remain in their homes.

Up on the Sphere, Nasiri lacks the strength to lift Korshim from the artificial gravity of the moon, barely capable of dragging him along.

Knowledge (History):
    Spoiler
    Show
    No special events of note have occurred 500 years ago. Well, there likely has been something somewhere but nothing that strikes you as particularly relevant to the boiler man.

EDIT (9/1/13) A couple of guards approach you as you land in the new town, "My lord," one says as they all bow down before Wero. "Most of our magic has failed all over town. Is that sphere within the sky to blame?"
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2013-09-01 at 10:16 AM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

25. - Top - End - #1345

That is correct. He replies candidly You mentioned most of your magic has been extinguished. Is what remains of Divine origin?

Furthermore, remain on-watch. There are creatues that came with that sphere, mechanical creatures of dragon form, larger than myself yet far more fragile than they look. If anyone has seen them moving anywhere, they are well-advised to let me know as soon as possible.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Several of the guards nod before rushing off to inform others of the possible threat while a couple remain behind. "Yes, My Lord," one replies, "divine magicks still remain intact. If we see any dragons, you will be alerted as soon as we can."
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2013-09-01 at 06:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1347

Good. He replies cooly. [B]They are here to kill everything on this world. Thousands of such dragons attacked the Indigo Citadel. They were wiped out but there are potentially hundreds more. They are likely to attack in large, overwhelming numbers and will use their bite to the exclusion of any other natural weapons. They can also use a breath weapon that exhales poisonous gas, however they could only do this once.

Adamantium weapons are most effective and although it will take overwhelming numbers to take down one, they are more fragile than they appear, and when focused on a target or targets, they will go after them to the exclusion of their own safety.

28. - Top - End - #1348

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar views the peaceful, unharmed city with a look of neutrality. Though it is good to see that nothing of it has come to harm yet, he doubts such a city can holds it's own when under attack despite Wero's orders and advice. While the town may be doomed regardless if he or any of his allies are here, Usabhar decides to lend his own words of advice anyway to at the very least increase the chance of survival for the town.

"Do not let any civilian bear arms if they do not know how to fight either," he chimes in with all the grace of clashing stones and creaking rock. "Soldiers such as yourselves should only be on the battlefield. Those who lack the discipline should stay put and hide as best as they can. Even if your numbers are greater than those of your foes, you are best to take them one at a time and do not spread out." From tactics, Usabhar moves onward to words of questionable encouragement. "Do not show fear or doubt on the battlefield either. The opponents are great and it will be a fact that many of you soldiers are likely to fall to them. Do not hide your bravery to pray for life, as you give away the lives of your youth to risk the safety of your own. If you are to truly be fearless, accept that death shall take you one day and that it will be on the battlefield for us all. When you can accept your life as existing beyond the material plane and clean and nurse the land for those to come; that is when you know fearlessness. And your enemies will suffer for it."

Usabhar speaks with indignant words that might come off as different among the people of the Empire. He cares not whether Wero actively is bothered by this or not; Usabhar knows pretty darn well that the two have vastly different ideas. The dwarf is simply doing what he believes is best for the survival and well-being of the empire's people, whether anyone agrees with him or otherwise.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Usabhar's words hold any wisdom, I'd like to use this as a way to use Diplomacy. Take 10 for 51.

Will do up something for Nasiri soon.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The guards still listening take Wero's and Usabhar's words to heart, adding on, "If we see any sign of them, we'll send our priests into the forest to get off a sending spell. We'll use what adamantine we've got if we must."

30. - Top - End - #1350

Very good. Lord Wero says plainly afterwards. Although he does appreciate what the dwarf is trying to do, he doesn't speak it, instead letting him finish his spiel as well as taking a few mental notes. For now I must scour this globe to search for the remnants of their attack force. I would like to requisition a world map. Even if it is not suited to my proportions any map will do.