New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Ultimate Conflict (Of Havens and Empires) IC

Usabhar, listening in on Wero's explanation, thinks for a moment about the plan. For as good as it is to scour the world to find the rest of the dragons, the dwarf wonders if the group available is even large enough to effectively split and cover larger regions at once. "The effectiveness of that plan depends on how quickly we can march around," he warns to Wero, Celestica, and Rahja when she arrives. "We've seen the speed of these dragons before; they could feasibly retreat the moment we come into sight and that is if they haven't already devoured those occupying the cities in this world. If they choose to attack instead than most of you are likely to perish to their numbers. I doubt that they have split up enough that groups are less than a hundred dragons at least." Counting up the chances, Usabhar does believe that there is a great lack of real manpower available right now. The dwarf is pretty sure that he's the only one who can go up against these dragons without assistance, though his lack of quickened movement makes going alone overall impractical.

"I will need assistance in getting around Emanacal; High Lord, as sharp as your skills are you will need my help in eliminating these dragons that we stumble upon. Your reliance on this artificial strength you call 'the arcane' makes you vulnerable to being overrun all too quickly if the dragons focus on yourself instead of your people." Usabhar isn't letting his words soften to state his opinion on arcane magic by this point. After what he has seen before, something none of the others will understand, he has come to believe in arcane magic as something to not be used so vitally else it can make one weak at the worst of times. His lack-of-approval outlook to arcane magic reflected in his disgruntled tone. "The two of us should be able to get around and cover half of your world."

Usabhar then turns to look at Celestica and Rahja. The two had made for quite the duo already based on what the dwarf as seen. With Rahja arriving here so quickly she seems to be able to cover the movement part as well. "Will you both be fine on your own to explore the other half of the world? You've both kept up well and work together excellently. So long as you both are cautious I believe neither of you will be in trouble." Having grown used to seeing both in battle, Usabhar is content with letting the two go alone as a team and is easily noticeable by his confirming, if still grim voice. "Once we have checked around Emanacal we should meet back nearby here or the capital so we can do something about the large sphere hanging in the skies."

Spoiler
    Show
    Just giving off some strategies and hopefully a plan for us all to follow.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

I dont think the dragons will retreat upon sighting us, nor will they concentrate their attacks on us. Given their history. Even in the plaza, as we were pummelling them into scrap metal, they ignored us, giving us even more chances to attack them, in order to concentrate their own attacks on the civilians. Staying together gives us more resources to destroy them in packs.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

"The confusing thing is that I sense very little pain and death on this world, much too little for the devastation 2000 of these dragons would be causing. Perhaps we can figure out how to do something about the moon?"

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Colossus in the Playground

Perhaps...healer, I have been meaning to ask. Where did those gates you made lead to?
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground

"To an unpopulated garden world I once scouted. I couldn't see or feel any of the dragons on that world if that is what you mean."

6. - Top - End - #1356

No, but I have much of my family and thousands of my subjects on that world. I wanted to know if they were safe. Although Lord Wero does sound like he was genuinely concerned, something else is still clearly bothering him, and Celestica knows that he's not likely to bring it up himself.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

They had no choice but to free her Celestica's tone is gentle and soft, not challenging or threatening in any way. Even if you branded her a traitor, she deserved the chance to live and fight, not die like a dog, perhaps crushed if your castle fell.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #1358

I understand. He says, not only calm but with a bit of sadness in his voice. But now victory seems inevitable and Arcana will return to Emanacal. What then if she is to return to Emanacal? For the last hour I have torn myself apart, unable to decide. Part of me demands that although she is rightfully to be spared from death, that I should show no leniency and return her to the fate she chose when she betrayed me, lest I by my actions undermine the rule of law in the name of favoritism. The other part...it...it doesn't matter. I've said too much on the subject.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps it is an opportunity to start over with a bit of work. Zurkar cares deeply for his sister and I have little doubt that he wants his family to be whole again."

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

The rule of law is not the only way to do things. Leaders must constantly balance their decisions, not just by the absolute written word of the law but by the situation in which the actions occured. No decision is ever yes or no, right or wrong.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #1361

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar folds his arms, dully looking at the sight of this tangent going on. To see this suddenly happening in the midst of the mysterious attack is both outrageous and of poor leadership all around. His ears however do catch the conversation clearly as Wero, Rahja, and Celestica speak about a traitor, daughter to Zurkar and the questionable choice of what will be done with her after this is over. It is an interesting situation to the dwarf's mind, not just because it could once be related to a situation he had himself been in; the very one that brought him to this empire in the first place.

Waiting for a moment to speak up, Usabhar brings his voice loud and clear to Wero, temperate yet zealous in his own belief he'd say. "So a relative of yours betrays you and, assuming the motive, attempted to overthrow you. Have you considered why she might have tried so?" Usabhar thinks back to various times and situations his kingdom has gone through, knowing the cause and effect of most of them. "Actions do not come from nothing, even for those such as undead and demons. For us all, we do things for a reason, whether by our own goals or not. And what does one look for when they ask 'how' or 'why?' We turn to ourselves." Usabhar states his meaning clear to look into one's own actions and see how it causes such consequences. The thought of humility like this is hard for any one person to do and the dwarves of Sargti can find it even harder. For Usabhar, how he speaks is like he simply looks on the past as statistics and ancient history. It has already happened and no sense of hate, like, or emotion need to get in the way. Once he can accept actions as meaningful and understanding it should be nothing but another bit of history.

"Frost giants had once attacked by kingdom as more foes to fend off in Kulomen. We had once believed them as nothing but maleficent berserkers. Though it is easy to assume them as such, Sargti had been greatly working on spreading out across Kulomen and the giants had believed us to be an invading threat, they who had lived longer than us. I had chosen to expand as quickly as it came to be, not figuring of people capable of civilized behavior in Kulomen. That is what brought them and myself to battle, and towards another problem." While Usabhar speaks truth of these frost giants, his opinion of them does tend to be a bit higher than what others might agree with. Both Wero and Celestica know this well, having seen the giants first-hand before. "Do you not remember Salin, the dwarf who had rudely brought himself to the empire and required both Rahja and I to safely bring safely back? His condition had been from accursed necromancy the Senate of my kingdom used while I had been away. Treachery in only the slightest, well-meaning sense. Sargti had no general and I had not foreseen that before my leave. They only did what they thought was best after my failure to instill a new, proper general."

Usabhar shakes his head slowly, speaking of his past events and how he can look to himself for being a cause of them. "People do things for many reasons, one being from that who they are targeting. High Lord if your relative had tried to rebel against you, she had a reason to do so. Before you ask her I suggest looking into your own decisions and look for how your actions may have influenced her." With that, Usabhar looks up back to the sphere and then outward back from where the capital is. His posture indicating he is done talking for now.

12. - Top - End - #1362

What, percisely, could I have done to incentivize such treason from my own daughter? The High Lord challenges back to Usabhar. I conduct myself with honor and preserve the peace and stability my Empire brings to billions. Do you know why I was betrayed? Because I was too powerful.

I was heartbroken when I had learned that my own mate and my eldest singleborn daughter sought to overthrow me. I gave them power and I gave them my heart, and all I asked for was their love. Why? I presided over their trials, separate yet fair, even though the verdict was certain. How can I expect my Inquisitors to follow judicial procedure if I don't?

All I wanted to know was why. Why had they betrayed me? And you know what they said?

My horde. The authority of the Indigo Throne. I gave them my love and they wanted everything that I am. By their actions they have already condemned themselves, but I knew then and there that although she had the potential, she was wanting of that one critical quality I look for in an heir.
    The High Lord's features are hard, filled with hate. That is why she is condemned. And Gods help me, I will drag her back to the depths of the Palace from the Far Realms if I have to, for my treasonous progeny has yet to begin to pay the price for her insolence.

Besides...
    He looks off into the distance, Lord Wero's features once again softening. She would never forgive me for what I had done to her.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

You cannot ask for someone's love. It happens or it doesn't. There is little you can do to 'make it happen'. Most times, it comes when you don't even expect it She looks to Rahja, it had just happened here. And perhaps that is what they felt most threatened by.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #1364

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar finds that he is a bit too in the dark when it comes to this argument. He can tell the problems Wero is having with his daughter and would find it best to have that resolved but with whatever has happened, the dwarf doesn't quite know enough to give a reasonable response to. His head turns to look at Rahja and Celestica, both who obviously have a clearer idea on what is happening. Calmly he goes to ask, "What had happened with the High Lord's daughter exactly? Celestica you know this empire better than I and you seem inseparable with Rahja by now. Both of you will need to explain this to me."

It comes to mind now that if the dwarf is actually going to seriously try to help out making Wero something of a better person than Usabhar will, begrudgingly, need to stick around with the empire more at the behest of his own kingdom. Perhaps keeping Nasiri around here instead, rather than be all displeased of Sargti and it's own designs might be a better idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shorter post than I planned, but me and Ing found that it would help if Celestica or Rahja could explain the situation further to Usabhar first.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

What I know of the situation comes from Prince Zurkar, so maybe its not the full story, but its enough to know what happened. Many years ago, the High Lord's mate, Chancellor Vorro-something or other and his daughter, Mineayoch, attempted a coup against him. They were discovered and tried for treason. The High Lord pardoned his mate, but found Mineayoch guilty. Shes been in prison, under heavy torture, ever since. The Prince pleaded with me some time ago to get her released, and when the danger of the castle collapsing on her became too great, he worked with Rahja to free her. Her fate, now that she is free, is what is up for debate.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #1366

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar nods slowly to Celestica's explanation, easily being enough to at least get a general understanding of what had happened. It does leave the dwarf little to actually draw a valid assumption that he can present to Wero; the High Lord seems to favor logic over all when it isn't his own in trial. However Usabhar does note the relationship Mineayoch and her father. The dwarf could make an assumption that there is something in Zurkar, the actual heir, that Wero finds only in him despite how different they are. The prince makes no sort of relevance to the conversation despite his involvement in it. At this point Usabhar can figure that Wero's mind is only on Mineayoch whether it's for her safety or her punishment. By this point however the dwarf thinks that Mineayoch has had enough torture for a lifetime.

Looking back to Wero, Usabhar makes barely a gesture of curiosity as he grumpily asks something. "So you say that your daughter deserved punishment and unyielding torture. With her free now do you not think that she can be given a second chance?" the dwarf doesn't even need to think to show the huge difference they have of forgiving someone who had wronged them, for better or worse. "If you weren't to punish her again or kill her what do you think she'd do? Her inability to overthrow you is enough for her to realize the folly of her trying again; that is learned from failure, not torture." There is a pause in the air before Usabhar asks another note, "And you believe she will not forgive you; do you know this by experience or have you never tried to ask for forgiveness?"

17. - Top - End - #1367

Ha! The High Lord sneers, a complete reversal in attitude. Why do I need to be forgiven? She betrayed me, and her crimes must continue to be punished! Insolence to such a degree is to not be forgiven or the Rule of Law becomes meaningless.

It's not about what I want. It's about what's right.
    Although he does sound like he's being stubborn about this, it almost sounds like he doesn't entirely believe what he's saying.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-09-05 at 05:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Eternal punishment is never right. Punishment should only be used to correct behaviour, and even then, it should be punishment, not torture.
    And you were able to forgive your mate, end her jail term...and your empire didn't collapse, did it?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #1369

The High Lord looks away from Celestica. I don't think you understand why I let her go. When the Chancellor came to trial before me, I had already condemned my daughter. She was given a chance to rebuke the evidence presented against her as is procedure. When it came down to her final statements, that is when things began to change. I am certain she had spent the days she did in the dungeons writing and rehearsing the greatest speech anyone could ever give.

I didn't hear a word of it.

The trial itself is a blur to me and I am certain I went through the motions, donning my ruler's mask and keeping the appearance of the impartial arbitrator and key prosecutorial witness. The moment she stepped into the Hall of Judgment, I knew, with everything that I was, that I could not condemn my mate too.

I let her go because I was too weak.

Yet I don't regret that for a moment. Whenever I think about it I am glad I let her go, yet there is scarcely a moment where I don't wish I made a different decision with my daughter.
    He turns to Celestica, alarmed. What's wrong with me?
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-09-05 at 07:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Youre beginning to get a conscience. And you didn't let your mate go because you were weak. You let her go out of love.
    What you feel in regard to your daughter is regret. The ability to feel regret is one of the most important steps in that process. The ability to feel regret implies the ability to admit you were wrong.
    All of these qualities are a good thing. They are not a sign of weakness. They are something to be celebrated.
    And when you chose to pardon your daughter, it will be even more of a celebration. No one will question you. No one will try to take advantage of you. Say her valiant defense of the empire earned her the pardon. Whatever.
    Don't turn your back on these feelings. Embrace them. They don't make you weaker, they make you stronger. You might not think so now, but in time you will. They will give you strength when you need it most.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

21. - Top - End - #1371

Well I don't like it. He says plainly, the words difficult to read any insight into the High Lord's thoughts one way or the other, even when he does sound threatening. I'm distracted and my purpose is more unclear than ever, yet...I will endeavor to think on what you said. Pray Emanacal does not fall because of such diversions. For now we do have a planet to save.

He relocates himself amongst the guards. I did request a map. He says flatly.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

One of the town guards finally reappear, followed by a bald and portly fellow carrying a large mess of maps. Bowing down, the portly figure lifts up a world map, a couple of identical maps resting by the man's side.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

23. - Top - End - #1373

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar simply listens in on Celestica talk to Wero, able to somehow break in on the arrogant king. With events surrounding the Boiler Man still unresolved Usabhar doesn't want to continue taking up more time than what has already been done. He has no belief that the dragons will be giving anyone a break anytime soon. In fact he is pretty sure that they are off somewhere else if what Rahja says is true. The aasimar had evacuated people from the capital already so they must be out somewhere else.

Usabhar plods his way over to Rahja and looks up to her, bluntly asking, "Do you know where your gate had led to? I presume some of Wero's personal entourage had been evacuated along with the citizens. Has their safety been confirmed on Haven or wherever they had been sent to?" Based on the actions and general suicidal attitude that the dragons have presented before, Usabhar expects that the foes would not recouperate and get their numbers back but instead try and eliminate as many as they can before their destruction. It makes staying on Emanacal all the more determent to the lives of people and the dwarf knows not to stay on this planet if it isn't under any sort of threat anymore.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Titan in the Playground

"I wouldn't have kept evacuating citizens there if the dragons had moved there." Though the thought needs to be considered, Rahja does like to think of herself as not being that much of an amateur in terms of humanitarian procedures.

"Did you glean any insight from this 'moon' about how it functions or what purpose it has?"

25. - Top - End - #1375

How it functions, no. Such knowledge is beyond me. The High Lord states plainly. However, as to what it does, we already know its presence has resulted in the loss of most magical power. However it also functions as a transport for the mechanical things. There are spheres inside that can teleport them when touched. Furthermore it is a means of communication to them, no doubt relaying the orders of the Boiler Man through some equivalent of telepathic communication. He looks to Celestica. You remember when they began to encircle that crowd, right before it they looked up at the moon. Furthermore you no doubt have noticed they seem to lack any sense of self-preservation or behave in any way that makes full use of their potential abilities.

I think the Boiler Man is looking down through that moon, no doubt remotely, upon what is to him a game of chess, with his pieces, the dragons, being under his complete control.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-09-08 at 01:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1376

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar, finding his question both redundant and not of concern, listens in on Wero's thoughts on the situation. Wherever had these dragons gone they left their own base behind, as uniquely bizarre as it is. "If we cannot indicate where the dragons are then, should we not remove what is has left behind instead?" The dwarf looks up to the moon once more. Such size it possesses is of little matter to the dwarf despite how intimidating it may be to the common citizen. It then comes to mind that the dwarf had not even mentioned how exactly he had arrived here and more importantly where he had come from.

"I had arrived here on that sphere. It came from Emanacal, or what seemed like a mockery of it." The dwarf still doesn't have the best idea as to what that place was. Trying to explain it as what he considers might be an 'alternate dimension' though would make him come off as some sort of lunatic. "A fractured world it was, cities and towns held by metal walkways above the surface. That is where I had found the sphere and I leaped on the smaller ones to carry me here." The dwarf looks to Rahja, Wero, and Celestica. "I also found Korshim and took him with me, disabled as he currently is. I presume his disability is due to the moon's presence. If we were to get him away from Emanacal and to get him back up he could tell us what we do not know."

Usabhar raises his axe to his side, letting it be grasped harshly in the dwarf's hands as he boldly states, "Otherwise I may be able to bring down the sphere with enough time. If we cannot think of a better plan or lead to follow then I will get to that regardless."

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

Looking up at the moon, then back at Usabhar, Rahja asks "Have you tried drawing on your deity's power to move the moon into something like the core of a sun or a black hole?"
    Last edited by Ridai; 2013-09-08 at 03:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

I somehow don't think that bashing it to smithereens is going to work Usabhar. The Boiler Man has obviously put a lot of thought into this plan, and being able to disrupt it by brute force would be the sign of a bad plan. And I don't think we can count on a bad plan.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

29. - Top - End - #1379

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar thinks for a moment, then slowly, grimly shakes his head. "I regret that will not work. I have troubled great Keltahkonkmet enough today and his presence has been lost for a time already. I am sure he still lives, for he inspires all dwarves of Sargti but for now I am not capable of asking my faith to call upon him."

Usabhar looks up at the moon again. "If I could lift such a giant sphere I would throw it to the sun myself. Unless you are able to help me with that I cannot help with that method." He looks to Celestica for her own few words, at which point he simply says, "If the Boiler Man had expected anything it would be people who rely on magic, not warrior that can shatter mountains. But if you are inclined to not let me go through with that, what do you suggest instead?"
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-09-08 at 03:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

I have no intention of stopping you from any course of action. I merely point out to you that someone capable of constructing such a sphere would have anticipated someone trying to bash it to pieces. Theres a good reason wizards almost always win out in a battle of might versus magic and I have no doubt the Boiler Man has a contingency against smashing his toy.
    #GoreMutualarejerks