New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LII: 525.600 Ponies!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Everyone is a stereotype if you ignore their depth. RD is a jock. AJ is a hick. Fluttershy is an anime convention chick. Rarity is a faux-sionista. Twilight Sparkle is a nerd. Pinkie is a druggy. Spike is a dudebro.

You mean lesbian by the way, right? It's unfortunate that she is stereotyped as liking girls just because of her rainbow colors? That is indeed somewhat coincidental, but no more so than a pony being named cloud kicker and growing up to Kick clouds. And the whole "butch because sports" thing doesn't pan out, as I have arguedn vehemently and successfully that Dashie is one f the girlier ponies.

Personally, I'd be leery of them saddling her with a boyfriend just because. "Look! She's not a lesbian! She likes man parts! You don't have to worry about what message we might be sending" when sending those messages of nonconformity being okay is part of the appeal.

And sorry for laughing, by the way. Your timing was just that exquisite. I read something about an RD boyfriend hoax, refresh the page and BAM. Put a smile on my face, but my neighbors are probably not thrilled to wake up to hyena laughter.
    Oh, I'm fully aware of that, the characters are quite stereotypical, but in a positive sort of way. For example, Twilight is an intelligent nerd because she's an intelligent nerd. Now, If RD was a lesbian, she would be perceived by many people to be a tomboy-ish character with a rainbow mane because she was a lesbian... if that makes sense.
    Remember that article claiming that Rainbow Dash was promoting a lesbian stereotype? Well, the problem with that article was that it was complaining about her being a lesbian stereotype when in fact, the show never even suggested that she was a lesbian. The article simply complained about her being a lesbian stereotype going on the assumption that she was a lesbian BECAUSE of her characteristics in the show. So, the writer complained about her own assumption of the character, rather then actual character.
    Now, if RD really was a Lesbian, then it might make this kind of criticism more relevant.

On a related note, I'd actually like to see queer relationships in the show, as long as they treat it in the same way they would treat a heterosexual relationship, like Adventure Time did. Rather then "ERMAHGERD A GAY COUPLE. WE MUST TREAT THEM EQUALLY. DEHR PRINCESS CELESTA, I LERN GAYS R PPL TOO."

And that's fine. :P
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-08-26 at 07:37 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I'd be interested in those arguments.

And I really hope they give her a girlfriend at some point, because they could do so much good with a strong gay character example for the target audience.
    Honestly, given who the official target audience is and how things aimed at them have been targeted in the past, I'd be very surprised if we got any kind of genuine relationship stuff beyond what we've already seen with Rarity's Blueblood fantasies and the S2 wedding.

Which is not to say they shouldn't do such a thing, but I doubt they will.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Honestly, given who the official target audience is and how things aimed at them have been targeted in the past, I'd be very surprised if we got any kind of genuine relationship stuff beyond what we've already seen with Rarity's Blueblood fantasies and the S2 wedding.

Which is not to say they shouldn't do such a thing, but I doubt they will.
    I dunno, marriage, Rarity's sexual fantasies and a creepy Big Mac x Cheerilee episode are pretty big things...
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-08-26 at 08:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

And I really hope they give her a girlfriend at some point, because they could do so much good with a strong gay character example for the target audience.
    Problem is Hasbro wants no trouble from said target audience's parents, who actually have the money to buy pony related products and some wouldn't appreciate a character that challenged their moral beliefs (or they simply don't think such a character is suitable in a show for impressionable children).

You saw the fuss raised over Derpy speaking. A gay character on a show for young children would draw out all sorts of people spewing noncense about the "moral degradation of society" and "the corruption of the youth"
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

NRRWAAAARGGGHHHH PAGES HAVE APPEARED

Holy jeebles, guys. @_@

Anyways, er, looks like RP has been banished... after everything exploded. And stuff. ._. Funky stuff, guys, funky stuff.

Relationships! I would prefer to not think of the widdle mane six in relationships with each other, thank you very much. Not that you guys can't. >_>

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'd be leery of them saddling her with a boyfriend just because. "Look! She's not a lesbian! She likes man parts! You don't have to worry about what message we might be sending" when sending those messages of nonconformity being okay is part of the appeal.
    This, although something more strong than 'leery'. Of course one could always say she's bi (which is sort of my view on the matter right now), but it'd still kinda ruin things for a lot of people.

I kinda hope and expect that they don't give any of the mane 6, sans possibly Rarity, a boyfriend. Just to leave everyone happy. It's the best and safest option.

I especially don't want them to give Dash a romance, because I know it ain't going to be another girl, not until pigs fly and hell freezes over. Sadly, but I fear that's reality.

Edit: I would of course like to be proven wrong, and see them do a canon lesbian ship, but it should probably be Lyra and BonBon, to be honest.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-08-26 at 08:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    This, although something more strong than 'leery'. Of course one could always say she's bi (which is sort of my view on the matter right now), but it'd still kinda ruin things for a lot of people.

I kinda hope and expect that they don't give any of the mane 6, sans possibly Rarity, a boyfriend. Just to leave everyone happy. It's the best and safest option.

I especially don't want them to give Dash a romance, because I know it ain't going to be another girl, not until pigs fly and hell freezes over. Sadly, but I fear that's reality.

Edit: I would of course like to be proven wrong, and see them do a canon lesbian ship, but it should probably be Lyra and BonBon, to be honest.
    I rather not have the show shut down over protests of encouraging same-sex partnership. Am I not wrong in saying that Americans are still very leery of this issue?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I rather not have the show shut down over protests of encouraging same-sex partnership. Am I not wrong in saying that Americans are still very leery of this issue?
    Well, maybe they could do it in the final season, when it's already been decided to not continue the series. Not bloody likely, of course.

I guess I'd just love to see the world go up in flames like that, it would be awesome. People need controversy, a good kick in the values every now and then. And I don't think the show would have to shut down, actually. It'd lose some, but also gain some. It wouldn't be win-win, but it would definitely gain respect and publicity.

Of course, again, Hasbro has no interest in that sort of publicity, I'm sure.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    I hate you guys. So much

HOW CAN THIS SHOW BE GOOD? HOWW?
    Easy, somebody gave a darn

EDIT: And it's only now i notice that was on page 4 >.>
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-08-26 at 09:55 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I'm having a blast with it. But I do love strategy games. However the very best part of it is that I can change the character's names (and thus ponify them.) If you do get the newest X-com you have to make sure to change the names to something/someone you care about and the game just gets that much more intense.
    IT SHALL BE DONE.

BTW, have you ever thought about making a ponified fanfic version of XCOM with those notes you've been writing? I'd read it. /)*3*(\
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

11. - Top - End - #221

This. So much this.

Even if Hasbro and the writers steer away from giving the Mane 6 boyfriend/girlfriends, nodding to some of the background ponies relationships would be nice. Maybe an episode where Bon Bon is looking for the perfect anniversary present for Lyra [the answer is pants], where the focus is less on "look, they are lesbians woo!" and more on "these two ponies love each other and have a strong healthy relationship, albeit they happen to be both female."
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    This. So much this.

Even if Hasbro and the writers steer away from giving the Mane 6 boyfriend/girlfriends, nodding to some of the background ponies relationships would be nice. Maybe an episode where Bon Bon is looking for the perfect anniversary present for Lyra [the answer is pants], where the focus is less on "look, they are lesbians woo!" and more on "these two ponies love each other and have a strong healthy relationship, albeit they happen to be both female."
    Yeah. Haters be damned, that would be nice and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    "... albeit they happen to be both female."
    As long as they don't mention that part explicitly, to not make it look like it's a big deal. If you start mentioning that they're both female, you make a deal out of it.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Yeah. Haters be damned, that would be nice and sweet.

As long as they don't mention that part explicitly, to not make it look like it's a big deal. If you start mentioning that they're both female, you make a deal out of it.
    Yeah, that is what I meant to say in my own hamfisted way. Basically meant, showcase the relationship: don't just highlight it in such a way that the relationship isn't the important part, but that the spectacle of WHO is in the relationship is the important part.

Since no matter how I write it it looks like I am brute forcing it, lets just say I agree with your sentiments.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

14. - Top - End - #224

I'm with Grif on this one. If they do give Dash a girlfriend, which I'm not against in the slightest, then it'll probably be the whole Derpy fiasco all over again. Only this time it'll be 10K x worse, & they may be forced to edit/cancel a good episode. If somepony gets really pissed, the entire show may be cancelled.

That's how stupid Americans can be, & it sucks to be one of them sometimes.

Also, millions upon millions of fanfics will be altered or all out destroyed.
    Last edited by Maxtronaut; 2012-08-26 at 10:27 AM.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Unfortunately yes. And the sad fact remains that while Gay characters feature normally in many television shows, and they are taking a few tentative strides into shows for slightly younger audiences (as I'm hearing is the case with adventure time) the fact remains that so many people (read: bigots) believe that if children believe Homosexuality is a normal thing on television, they may *gasp* accept it in real life, or be encouraged to become homosexuals themselves.

When you couple this with the fact that across America many of us get in arms about a company or authority figure publically endorsing same sex marriage, it's understandable why Hasbro wouldn't want to touch this issue with a ten foot pole.

I should probably stop here before I start getting too into religion and politics.

In other news, what magical creatures do you think/ hope will feature in upcoming seasons?

I predict that we might see a sphinx, classic riddling guardians make good obstacles for cartoons.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    When you couple this with the fact that across America many of us get in arms about a company or authority figure publically endorsing same sex marriage, it's understandable why Hasbro wouldn't want to touch this issue with a ten foot pole.
    Yes, because nobody EVER gets up in arms about endorsing heterosexual marriages. Especially not when they're only supporting one, not putting down the other. That would be dumb. cough-eatmorchikin-cough

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

I personally think it's already happened. Just they can explicitly come out and say it, and must always have some level of deniability. So that's why we've gotten so many FlutterDash hints. If anyone was to accuse them and try and start an uproar they could go "Hey I don't know what you are talking about. You read that into the show, they could just be good friends." And thus they dodge the controversy compleatly!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    IT SHALL BE DONE.

BTW, have you ever thought about making a ponified fanfic version of XCOM with those notes you've been writing? I'd read it. /)*3*(\
    Yeah I have. Right now I'm thinking that I'll make a fanfic based on these notes, but not held so strictly to the gameplay like the notes have been. But only when I've finished the game so I know if it will have a downer ending or not
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2012-08-26 at 11:34 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Anyways, er, looks like RP has been banished... after everything exploded. And stuff. ._. Funky stuff, guys, funky stuff.
    No, see, breif RP style silliness is still fine as far as I can tell. It's just persistant RP quite specifically like the Pokonic/Alabenson Children of Nightmare Vs Boffinspark and Co feud that needs to branch off into it's own full-grown thread.

Also, I definately suspect there is a chance that Flutterdash is following the Mystique/Destiny route of obvious but plausibly deniable.

19. - Top - End - #229

That sounds awesome! I wonder how that would work with griffons. I posit they have more horsepower but drastically less finesse.
    My take is that griffons are good at soaring and diving, but don't turn as tightly as the smaller, shorter-winged pegasi.

And I've believed in Lyra and Bon Bon as a couple since the Season One poster, but Putting Your Hoof Down really reinforced that in my mind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in the let's not stirr up social issues camp.

The show has enough on its plate teaching that cartoons for little girls don't have to be frilly glittery crap. That a worthy enough endeavor for any show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    My take is that griffons are good at soaring and diving, but don't turn as tightly as the smaller, shorter-winged pegasi.

And I've believed in Lyra and Bon Bon as a couple since the Season One poster, but Putting Your Hoof Down really reinforced that in my mind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I'm stumped. How do two images of Bon-Bon and Lyra's plots reinforce the ship?
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Ok, I'm stumped. How do two images of Bon-Bon and Lyra's plots reinforce the ship?
    Look closely at the bag.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

On the subject of the show and same-sex relationships:
    I would be fine with it appearing in the show, but it would probably cause a media ****storm Hasbro would very much like to avoid. While there have been some steps toward the subject of younger audiences (From what I heard Paranorman has a gay character, but that is a movie, not a TV show) , it could still be quite messy for the show if they tried something. They could probably get away with a Lyra/Bon-Bon pairing in the background as long as they didn't show anything blatant though.

On the subject of what fantasy creatures we hope to see in future seasons:
    I would love to see golems (They're like magical robots! ), dracoliches, or gargoyles appear in the show at some point.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-08-26 at 12:21 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Look closely at the bag.
    Oh! I see it now. I figured I was missing something.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

25. - Top - End - #235
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Haven't we been through that? Bon-bon's just delivering Lyra's lost bag.Just an animator having some fun in the background. Same as a certain pony and her muffin bags.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be happy if they didnt explore significant romance at all.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    On the subject of what fantasy creatures we hope to see in future seasons:
    I would love to see golems (They're like magical robots! ), dracoliches, or gargoyles appear in the show at some point.
    If there would be Dracoliches, then there would have to be zombies. In a, lets face it, Y rated show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    I'd be happy if they didnt explore significant romance at all.
    Wouldn't we all?

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Also, I definately suspect there is a chance that Flutterdash is following the Mystique/Destiny route of obvious but plausibly deniable.
    Yeah plausible deniability is the critical thing. You can do anything you want, as long as you can respond to any protest with "I have no idea what you're talking about" and have people believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Haven't we been through that? Bon-bon's just delivering Lyra's lost bag.Just an animator having some fun in the background. Same as a certain pony and her muffin bags.
    Believe what you want. Denial
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Yeah plausible deniability is the critical thing. You can do anything you want, as long as you can respond to any protest with "I have no idea what you're talking about" and have people believe you.

Believe what you want. Denial
    To elaborate, even though you clearly get what I'm talking about;

The specifics of the Mystique/Destiny thing in X-Men was that of course they were an item, and they were always meant to be. They just couldn't actually say it, because those higher up and the comics code or whatever would have had issue (whereas the audience almost certainly wouldn't and apparently didn't).

Which is to say, if that is the case here, it's not so much that they would be leaving it open to interpretation as simply not confirming it. That way people like Hasbro or critics and pressure groups don't get involved, whilst it being relatively obvious to the fans who have no problem with the idea. Like how Applejack's parents are almost certainly dead, but it will never be confirmed either way (though they clearly are). Because if they don't try to write in specific mention of it, the higher ups aren't likely to make them contradict it.

Re: Dracoliches - That seems unlikely purely because of how grim that would be.
    But weren't zombies mentioned at some point in the show? Which would mean that the concept wouldn't be impossible in the setting, (even if there are no actual zombies in the setting).