New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Ages of Athas

Eveve

"If we continue to Crossroads, the information we get will be days old at best. Only if we follow the bandits straightaway will we have a chance to catch them before they can hide or sell the splinter."

Eveve pauses and then adds, "You are sensible to be cautious about travel, but I believe to recapture that artifact, only brash boldness will serve."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

"The coin you offer would be better had in food and water for our trip. Coin means little in the sands. Grant us what we would need to reach the elves and more and perhaps we can retrieve this splinter before a colossal blunder is made before Hamanu." Lazam seems fairly adamant in his decision....with part of his intent showing so slightly at how calmly he hinted at dying for angering Hamanu. Knowing full well that it is likely those who can will try the Way to find truth, Lazam does his best to remain calm and thoughtless beyond thinking of water.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

Having rummaged through as much sand as he can, Calder stands. He bites the inside of his cheek, but even that isn't enough to keep him from muttering You stupid son of a kank. You'd give Hamanu the power to kill the other sorcerer-kings without a fight. Do you have any idea how destructive that would be to all of Athas, if the kings went to war!?" Blood drips out of his mouth, and he wipes it with his wrist, careful to not cut his face any further. Taking a breath, he tries to clear his head and throat, like he had many times dealing with his former Templars since the fall of Kalak.

I say we chase the elves. They have the Heartwood. And they clearly knew exactly what it was, and where to find it. I'd be curious to know how they got that kind of information. I would have to have been someone close to you. Someone that would know where you keep your things stowed Submatron Ixesti. Can you think of anyone that would have that kind of information, someone close to you, probably offered to arrange your matters for you? Who could that be?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy on Ixesti (1d20+10)[28]
    Take advantage of the rest to heal up, 1 surge to put HP at 39.
    And if not too late, Arcana on the necrotic energy (1d20+7)[11]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

Damakos eyes his companions. The Tiefling considers the points of view of his companions but remain silent for much of the debate. "Never draw attention to yourself." That is what the Wanderer had taught him, it was a philosophy Damakos fully embraced. Damakos spoke up after a fashion, "We should go to the Crossroads. The Bandits will lay traps for us - be they insidiously mechanical or maniacally climatological. We could get lost in the wasteland and die of starvation or worse." As the Tiefling says this, his eyes naturally drift towards the Halfling. Damakos continues, "If we go to the Crossroads we can gather information, supplies and - perhaps more importantly - a guide who knows these lands better than any here assembled. Do not let haste and eagerness overcome your sound, logical minds."
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Lazam looks perplexed. "Well, enough differ....a vote. I say we leave now, or else they get too far away. The Submatron can give us what we need now and they can restock at the crossroads." Its at this point that Lazam realizes he just said what the Submatron would do. Looking over, he motions quietly if he is wrong in this assumption.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren sighs. "This 'voting' is an odd way to make decisions, but if the majority wish to go after the elves I suspect I would be safer with them than what is left of the caravan. However, my vote is to continue to the crossroads."
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands - Road to the Crossroads]

Raheil shouts a bit more toward the slaves, who are busy reorganizing the interior of the caravan, tending to the Mekillots, and picking clean the bodies of the slain elves. After a few minutes of this, while the party debates their next course of action, Raheil cracks his whip over his head to shake the group out of their conversation. "We're leaving and you're welcome to come. As I said, we can offer you coin, or perhaps some goods, if you stay with us to Crossroads. If you assist us all the way to Urik we may be able to arrange for something more."

With another shout, he takes a seat at the top of the cart and rests his whip, and one of the spears, across his lap. The mekillots lurch forward and the caravan begins to move at a slow but steady pace.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren watches as the caravan begins to pull away. He takes a step towards it, sighs, and turns back to the group. "A decision must be made," he says. "I say we follow the caravan. Eveve has made it obvious she wishes to pursue the elves. Damakos wishes to go to the crossroad. Lazam wishes to follow the elves, though we cannot, as he suggests, get provisions from the submatron. Calder wishes to follow the elves as well. Our other, former, companion has already run after the elves. That makes the vote three to two in favor of chasing the elves. Very well. The decision has been made. Now let us get on with it."

He faces the direction the elves fled. "Eveve, since you have the survival skills, you should lead the way. I will help you find clues to their trail, though you may need to explain what those clues mean."
    Last edited by Shular; 2012-09-25 at 01:53 PM.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

Damakos sighs as he thinks, "If I must perish in the wasteland, at least I shall not be alone." The Tieflings walks up behind Huren and eagerly awaits the tracker to lead the group into the great beyond.
    DMing:

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands]

Raheil chuckles to himself, shaking his head. You hear him say something along the lines of "poor bastards" as the caravan trundles off down the road. Submatron Ixesti fixes you all with a glare as she fades out of view.

You find yourselves standing alone on the road between Tyr and the Crossroads. You estimate it is a solid day's walk back to Tyr, and about 3 days to the Crossroads. The wind picks up a little, blowing the sand around and erasing all signs of the earlier skirmish. Within a minute, even the blood soaked ground has been covered over or scattered.

The sun shines overhead, and you estimate about 5 hours remain until nightfall. A low moan from Eveve's pet kank jogs you all back to reality as the sounds of the caravan fade into the distance.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve - [Tablelands]

Eveve takes a deep breath in, stands from her squat and adjusts her dust mask. "If I know elven raiders -- and I do -- they will put a lot of distance between themselves and the trail, relying on speed rather than stealth. They will also stick to open areas where they can't be pinned down by terrain like gorges or cliffs. They'll be somewhat encumbered by the splinter's ark and might have to take time to lay traps for Van the Scarred, so we may be able to catch up quickly, once they decide to stop hurrying."

Spoiler
    Show
    These rolls are intended as Aid attempts to help Huren with tracking. Take whichever is most fitting.
    Insight into elves: (d20+9)[25]
    Nature to guess the 'lay of the land' nearby, helping limit where to look: (d20+9)[23]

"Let's go this direction and keep an eye out for tracks. We can expect to cross their path soon, and cutting across where they curved around will help us catch up."
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-09-26 at 01:16 PM.

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

With Eveve's assistance, Huren attempts to find traces of the elves' trail.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (with +2 from Eveve). If I can I'd use Huren's insight (+10) to get more bonus: (1d20+12)[13]

Huren starts walking towards the nearby lake, but stops when Eveve points out that it's just a mirage.
    Last edited by Shular; 2012-09-26 at 05:51 PM.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

"Then let's go. I want that splinter back, I want the elves dead, and I want to get back to the Caravan before they reach the Crossroads. Not necessarily in that order, he he.

I packed for a trip with that group, not on my own. And if I can survive the death of Kalak, I sure won't be taken by the desert."
    Calder wraps his scarf around his face and neck, to block the sandy wind from entering his mouth, and drying his throat out. Trident in hand and pack stored securely on his back, Calder is clearly eager to follow the elves, but does his best to hide the fact he has no real idea how to handle matters outside of the city walls.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands]

Huren's instincts lead the party in no discernible direction while Eveve subtly corrects and suggests the proper course. It becomes apparent to any close observers that Eveve is really the one leading the hunt, but that she lets Huren feel as if he's in charge.

After an hour or so of walking, the party in general has become better at noticing the signs of elves in the area. It appears that the two carrying the box are keeping it on the long poles, and that the easiest sign to spot is the set of parallel footprints.

The wind is steady, the sun is harsh, and as another hour passes Eveve and Damakos get the feeling that they are losing ground - for every mile they travel, the elves travel a mile and a half. The trail starts to fade and slowly becomes unrecognizable as the sun makes the long journey toward the horizon.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

The Tieflings huffs and puffs to keep up with his obviously more athletic comrades. Damakos' limbs grow weary. He falls bhind a bit, which gives him an opportunity to observe his surroundings. As he calculates the speed of the Elves and the speed of his compatriots he quickly comes to the realization that they cannot catch up.

Breathing heavily, the Tiefling calls out, "Friends. We should take a moment to assess our predicament. The Elves are faster than we are. They will continually gain ground on us. With night coming, many horrors shall awaken and impede our pursuit. We need a better strategy than we currently possess."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2012-09-26 at 09:09 PM.
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Lazam followed along the others fairly quiet - brooding over a rising sense of anger. That stupid sack of meat....nothing for returning the splinter?! Of course I wouldn't return it but they couldn't know that... His small stunt of boiling anger ended with a violent kick of sand. Realizing the futile waste of energy in such a dangerous situation, Lazam shrugged off the thought ending it knowing that if saw that caravan again....they'd dream of dealing with elves.

Turning to Damakos, Lazam answers "Indeed, we need a new plan. Perhaps we can find somewhere to hold out the night...or even determine if we should here." Although Lazam was not born in the desert, he attempts to find an option while reaching internally for a small nugget of wisdom from the Oracle that might save his life.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception roll to look for cover or dangers: (1d20+8)[26]
    PbP Game List:

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

Despite being sired by elves, Calder lacked their ability to run at high speeds for long distances, and staying with the diminutive party didn't help. "Fine. I'll make a pass around, try and see if I can, do something!" Again, his pack unclips itself and falls to the ground, his shield floats to his arm and buckles itself to his arm. Trident in hand, he sprints off looking for some place to safely spent the night. I've lost the caravan searching for the Heartwood. I lost the Heartwood, and I've failed Rikus in every way. Maybe the mercenary he hired is doing better. Maybe I should have stayed in the city, at least I can handle matters there.

Moving away from the group and over a dune, Calder stops, and with frustration, electricity arcs around his body as he smashes the spines of his weapon into the sand. His mental anguish and frustration given physical form, the sand blasts away from him in all directions. Falling to his knees, he breaths heavily for a few moments, before lifting himself back to his feet with his trident. He walks around where the group had stopped, he continues to smash the sand periodically, If anything is waiting to ambush us, this should bring it out. Better to get it over with.

Going full circle, he returns to the cluster of travelers, feeling better for having vented. "So, we aren't going to catch the raiders tonight. And we are not going back to the caravan after one afternoon away. I say we make camp soon, with someone on guard duty at all times. There are many things that can happen out here, as I understand things, that can go wrong for a small group such as us." At his mental command, the shield returns to his back, and with his free hand, he lifts his pack again, throwing it over his shoulder as the straps fasten themselves around his arms.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Lazam nods with a small smile as he watches Calder perform a similar outburst of frustration. Least I'm not the only one not found of the situation. Continuing his internal review of the nuggets of wisdom from the Oracle he has received in his life, Lazam tries his best to continue surveying the area and tries to figure out if there's any sort of viable option. With a complete lack of trees though, this will be a wild shot in the dark for Lazam.

Spoiler
    Show

Tacking on a nature roll to my earlier high perception roll: (1d20+3)[8]
    PbP Game List:

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands]

Between Lazam's keen eyes and Calder's random stomping, the group manages to find some sort of rocky structure. It appears to be a large whitish curved rock that provides some shelter from the wind and the sun overhead, and could fit 4 of them comfortably enough. The party could easily use the structure to add some tented fabric and create additional shelter if need be.

By this time the sun appears as a reddish ball of fire on the horizon. The shadows are long and the temperature has begun to drop. Nightfall will probably hit within the hour.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

Surveying the scene, Calder isn't pleased, but is keenly aware of his lack of options. "We camp there. Anyone that can make the camp better, should. Y'all need something that's mine, ask 'fore you take, and we got no problems.

I'll take first watch."
    Calder find a comfortable rock to sit on, trident across his lap, pack at his feet, ready for whatever happens next.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren helps however he can, looking around for materials to help with making a shelter as well as keeping an eye out for anything that might be approaching. Since the group set out on his own, he has been mostly quiet, and that reluctance to speak seems to be continuing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to find materials and/or keep an eye open for danger.
    (1d20+10)[23]
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

The Tieflings finds a suitable spot to lay his bedroll out. With a satisfied smile he looks around and says, "How are we going to catch up with our enemy when next the sun rises?"
    DMing:

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Rolling out his bedroll as well, a tired and frustrated Lazam answers Damakos "That we'll figure out in the morning - good night." Lazam quickly nods off, knowing full well someone...or something will wake him.
    PbP Game List:

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

The Vistani is quietly busy arranging the site to best protect herself, her new allies and all their equipment. She keeps her eyes on the horizon while her hands perform obviously familiar tasks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature roll to make a superior camp as described in OOC: (d20+9)[16]

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands]

With some effort, Eveve and the others manage to erect some crude shelter using the bleached white cavernous rock as a base structure. After 10 minutes or so, the party is resting soundly, no doubt in part due to their exhaustion from travel and combat.

Calder stands, scanning the desert with a fierceness he usually reserves for the arena. His unfamiliarity with the open waste has him on edge. In the distance, in the dark, he hears all sorts of horrible and cruel sounds. However, he is just as aware that this could be the wind as it blows through the valleys and oddly shaped rock formations that dot the landscape.

As a matter of habit, Calder tries to tap into that energy that has lay dormant for so long - that granted him by Kalak. In recent months, there has simply been an absence. Now, however, something appears to be there. Something is waiting, just behind the veil of his mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tegu - I leave it to you to RP the rest of this
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-10-07 at 01:56 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

Spoiler
    Show
    His heavy shield and trident laying in the sand next to him, he stood between the two items that had been part of his icons in the arena. Yes, the flashy red mohawk and impressive displays of psionic power were certainly a part of it, but the shield and trident were his symbol.

Doing his best, he tried to stay as alert as possible. In the arena he was constantly surrounded by being that wanted to slaughter him, yet, he was more uncertain here in the open desert.

To keep his mind sharp, Calder tried to focus his mind. Recalling fights in the arena helped, but after a few hours the battles simply became a blur of red. Rubbing his tattooed temples, he focused on other challenges in his life. His mind drifted to his training as a Templar. His natural physical prowess combined with his innate psychic powers, he was a natural pick for Templar duty.

He remembered the day that he, along with all the other new recruits, had an audience with the deposed king Kalak. He felt the madman draining his life from him, and it was all he could do to prevent himself from collapsing on floor. One recruit's eyes rolled back into his head, while another fell to her knees as blood oozed from her ears. Calder knew he was at the brink of passing out when the sucking feeling ceased, and he barely made out the ancient sorcerer's glowing hand flex, projecting energy to those that survived.

Suddenly, he filled a new power fill his frame. In his mind, he felt Kalak's presence, heavy handed and oppressive. But the power, it was incredible. Calder remembered how, after a day's healing, he was able to hurl great balls of fire from his finger tips, and spit powerful acid. His mental powers also grew, but while he felt the personal drain when he used his own, drawing that arcane power from his patron never even slowed him down.

Looking across the empty sandy wasteland, Calder focused on that first touch of magic he had felt. Kalak had sucked the life out of him, and channelled it into magic. Everyone knew that life force was what powered arcane magic, and the Sorcerer-Kings maintained vast gardens full of lush plants. Those gardens provided the life force that was channelled into the Templars to cast their spells, and the wizards of the Veiled Alliance he had fought with since the fall had demonstrated the ability to draw life force from plants as well, but Calder had never managed to cast a magical spell without Kalak's might supporting his own.

Over a nearby dune, Calder spied a Baazrag running towards the camp. Having heard stories of how dangerous they could be if a scout was able to alert the rest of the pack, Calder leapt into action. He sprinted as only someone with elven heritage could, he reached out with his mind to attack the beast. Despite his skill, the Baazrag was farther away than he could reach. In frustration, he punched at the air as he ran, channeling his anger into his blow and flinging foul curses at the creature's hind quarters.

Kalak's dark face filled his mind, and he could feel that life force sucking fill his chest again. Coughing, leapt over the top of a dune, face to face with the scout. The Baazrag bounded towards him, knocking him to the ground. Calder's arm locked under the large jaw has he tried to hold the snapping beast back. With his free hand he pounded against the armored hide, but to no avail. Trying to push the creature, he placed his right hand against the Baazrag's chest. Suddenly, that sucking feeling in his chest started to dissipate.

He could feel the creature start to grow heavy and limb, and he clenched his hand on the softer underside. He felt the creature weakening, until it collapsed, dead. Shoving the dead hulk off his body, he couldn't help but grin. He had his magic back, and he had managed to cast the first spell he was ever exposed to. so much had gone wrong in the last year, but this, this, was a step in the right direction.

Standing, he walked over the next dune, and spied several more Baazrags waiting for the signal from the scout. With a malevolent grin on his face his face, Calder imagined Kalak's face over the wide brim of the beast's head. Raising his hands, he once again let his life force dissipate, before expanding that drain to those foul beasts below him. He cackled as he sucked the life from each one, until they all lead dead at his feet, the last one having reached him, and he delivered the finishing touch by hand.

Turning, he walked back towards the camp, stopping to grab his first kill. He dragged the corpse back to the camp, and set it close by. Food would be scare in the desert, and this would provide a good start. A very good start.

His shift over, Calder moves over to Lazam, and prods him with the base of his trident. "You're turn bud. I'm gonna crash." With that, Calder makes his own bed, and lies in it.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Grumbling at the sharp nudge, Lazam lazily opens his eyes - who knew that this little savage needed his beauty sleep. Walking as if the undead, Lazam wanders out to greet the night with his nodding and yawning routine. The complete lack of silence always got to Lazam - he was used to the serene, yet deadly, forest and this place filled with howling winds and strange noises...was like a roaring stomach yearning for food. With a playful kick at the sand beneath his feet, Lazam whispers "You can damn well try, Athas. Lazam doesn't die tonight." Lazam nestles himself comfortably on the sand and takes his time trying to master the Way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Typical perception check: (1d20+8)[12]. I'll be using Sensing Eye over and over as a pathetic attempt at practice...too bad there's not much to look at (no hot party chicks, boo )
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-10-09 at 11:00 PM.
    PbP Game List:

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Tablelands]

The hours pass as the moon overhead brings twinklings of twilight across the sands. Lazam scans the dunes while the wind blows, his third eye reaching out for any signs of life.

After a few hours, the dessication of the baazrag begins. The desert is never too kind to the living, but it seems intent on preserving the dead at each opportunity. Lazam focuses inwardly enough that he is able to shut out all other sounds and focus on the smallest crackle and snap as the skin of the slain creature slowly dries out, robbing the party of any chance of a juicy meal.

In his reverie, Lazam's connection to the elemental aspects of Athas feels stronger, and his connection to the Ringing Forest, the fabled Tree of Life, and even the Heartwood Spear come a bit closer to the surface. Before he can firmly grasp any of it, however, Eveve's kank makes an unsettling, wet sound and fills the campsite with a smell that would test even the mightiest of constitutions. It has the effect of smelling salts on those party members who are still asleep, and all but Eveve (who has somehow grown used to the smell) feels compelled to vomit profusely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Good morning kids! Everyone has an extended rest, all daily powers restored, full health, full healing surges, 1 Action Point, etc.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-10-10 at 12:22 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

"Snnnnxxchhhhh ... hhbbbb ... snnnnnnnghhh ... hbbbb ..."

Spoiler
    Show
    That was an excellent application of Gimp, Meltheim.

"SnnCHkahk! *cough*cough* Well," says Eveve, looking around at the cheery and tender faces in the makeshift camp, "another fine day greets us." Briskly, she packs up the camp, slowing down only while pouring clean water from her evaporator apparatus into carrying jugs. In mere minutes she has bustled the gagging sleepers into a semblance of order, reminding them in a soft voice all the while that there's a great deal of profit, power and glory to be found if they can make up enough time on the elves' trail today.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-10-11 at 11:57 PM.

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

Damakos rouses from his slumber. His first task is taking a swig of water. He then sets about getting dressed, collecting his belongings and making himself ready for the new day. As he sees the others slowly waking up, the Tiefling says, "Good morning everyone."
    DMing: