New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Ages of Athas

Calder

Rolling over, he sees the prime meat he had dreamt about eating completely desiccated. A scowl starts to cover his countenance, until he recalls how exactly he was able to kill the beast, and a toothy grin takes it's place. Not even the foul stench of the dwarf's beast of burden could sour his mood, now that he had his magic back. He gathers his own merger supplies, and prepares himself for another day's travel.

"A good morn' indeed. We are still alive. And given our, abrupt, awakening, I say we move out as quickly as possible. I want those elves' heads under my boot. And that splinter back!

Now, does anyone have a way to track them?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

Perhaps it might be easier if we ordained where they were headed?

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Damakos wandered around the deserts of Athas for much of his Apprenticeship, I would like to roll a Nature check to see if I know about anything the lands we'll be headed to later today. Specifically, the kinds of geographic features that would serve as likely hideouts or make such hideouts viable (water sources, caves, etc.). I would also like to make a History check and see if I have read anything about this region concerning abandoned forts/towns/cities/etc. or other places that might be good places to serve as a bandit hideout.

Nature: (1d20+9)[18]
    History: [roll1d20+11[/roll]
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2012-10-12 at 04:18 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren wakes after a fitfull sleep. He'd dreamed he was back in the wastepits of Tyr, hiding from some overzealous guards. Strange, even after waking he could still smell the stench of the place.

He helps to pack up and gets ready to move out. When the discussion turns to where to go, he shrugs and stays silent.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Open Desert Near Tyr]

Damakos' experience in these deserts makes it relatively easy to orient himself and discern their position relative to Tyr and the Crossroads. The Tiefling has used the movement of the sun and shadows to identify that the party has been heading Northwest, and that they are now about equidistant from the Iron Mines of Tyr to the Northwest, and the Dwarven city of Kled to the Northeast.

Either destination would be about a 2 day journey on foot, or about 1 day via a beast such as a mekillot.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Grumbling at their options, Lazam mutters "First a desert ride...then lost in the desert...now you offer mines and dwarves. What kind of sick man are you." Lost in thought for a moment, Lazam seems to be pondering their options.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since I kind of know the value of the splinter, maybe I can gleam some small insight on where the elves might have been heading...or at least what their intentions might be for it?(1d20+8)[16]
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-10-16 at 02:22 AM.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

Well, they could be headed either for Iron Mines of Tyr to the Northwest, and the Dwarven city of Kled to the Northeast. I have heard mines exist underground, thus they are out of the sun. My preference would be for the mines.
    DMing:

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Lazam suddenly looks up from his deep thoughts and blurts out while half still thinking of the possibility "You know....the elves could easily have gone to my home land to try and sell the splinter...if they knew what they had, given the evidence of the surgical extraction, they probably knew and headed to the Forest Ridge. They were headed in that direction. It's not exactly close but nothing really is out here." Lazam turns to face the group and realizing last time the decisions were so hard to make, he tries to cut to the root of the issue: "Who here doesn't think that's a plan? No offense but if my options are dwarves, going underground, or the forest...I know what I'm choosing."
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-10-17 at 03:07 AM.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

The Vistani nods. "Lazam, you're right. The raiders might be plotting with larger forces or might simply be making money, but either way, returning to forested land is all that makes sense. They'll need to make stops on the way, though; nobody can run forever. So I agree we should walk northwest, and we should keep alert for traces of their passage -- the remains of raided travelers, signals left by Van in his pursuit, people who sold them water in fortified oases. And lacking any remnant of tracks now, we must make haste. I won't slow anyone down."

She goes to Gimp's side, stows what little camp-making equipment she used, and hauls the kank to its five unwilling feet. Seeing her fellow splinter-seekers more or less ready to depart, she sets off northwest at a dwarven hustle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eveve is willing to spend healing surges or make Endurance checks to keep pace with the speed-6 party.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

Calder uses his mind to finishing tightening the straps of his pack to his back, and with trident in hand, he runs off after the dwarven woman with the ease that shows his partial elven lineage. "I trust you'll let us know if you see anything. Hopefully Van will have left us some kind of clues along the way."

Spoiler
    Show
    If it's possible, Calder will assist Eveve onto a running mount on Kank, to help avoid speed issues.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren looks up at the already blazing sun. "Being underground has some appeal, if you ask me. On the other hand, I've never seen an actual forest. That would be something. Either way lead on, and I'll follow."
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

The party packs up their small campsite and once again takes off through the desert. Being early morning, the sun has not yet moved high overhead, and the party enjoys the relative coolness of a breeze while their shadows stretch long across the dunes.

Some of the animal tracks near their site appear to converge, then end in a bloody pulp off to the side. The corpse is already half consumed by ants, centipedes and other things that are mostly chitin, legs and teeth. It appears that the baazrag have also come this way, as a few droppings here and there indicate a recent passing.

The hours stretch on with the party taking the occasional break for water and to readjust their packs and filter masks. At around mid-day, the group stops for a brief respite and to take what nourishment they packed for the trip to Altaruk.

In the distance, a bright glimmer catches Calder's eye, flashing in an almost rhythmic pattern.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

Having spent the day in constant motion, Calder was thankful for intense training regimen he had lived under as a gladiator. And while he certainly wasn't the most familiar with life outside the city because of it, he knew enough to recognize something that wasn't natural. Aiming his trident at the light, he asked in his raspy voice "Does any of you see what I see?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check with Knack of Success (1d20+5)[23]
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Calder - [Open Desert Near Tyr]

Calder squints his eyes a bit and tries to wipe away the natural mirage effect already beginning with the sun's midday heat. About 1,000 feet away, he sees the same glinting object, flashing in an irregular rhythm. It appears to stand about waist-height from Calder's estimation.

The other party members can see this as well, if Calder describes where to look.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve -- Open desert near Tyr

"I do, yes. Could be a lure, could be a signal meant for us or for others ... too shiny for any animal I know, though. Whatever the case may be, we're headed right for it, so it would be quite inconvenient to try to skirt far around it now. We should move ahead, but cautiously." Eveve turns her eyes to the other edges of the horizon, thinking through her long experience with the outdoors and feeling the spirits about her to try to catch any hint of lurking danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's have a Nature check ... and what the heck, throw in a speak with spirits daily power bonus. (d20+12)[29] Does that give any clues about possible hazards, either regarding the Shiny itself or about things that might try to take advantage of viewers of a Shiny?

EDIT: I love getting a good roll when I spend resources.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-10-20 at 03:03 AM.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Eveve's experience traveling across the open desert, combined with her affinity for the natural world, gives her slight pause. She knows that some creatures do try and lure prey in with colors or scents, but she has not ever heard or seen of anything using sunlight itself.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Having heard no objection so far ...

Eveve -- [open desert near Tyr]

"We should move ahead, but cautiously. Weapons out, everyone. Calder, Lazam, please take the front. Huren, an eye behind. Keep your pace steady and your awareness open. Spread out a little wider. Damakos, when we you get close enough, see whether you can feel any magic emanating from whatever that is."

Spoiler
    Show
    The formation I have in mind is C and L in a front rank, separated by two empty squares ... Damakos and Eveve in a fourth rank, again separated by two from each other ... Huren in a seventh rank. Sounds like there's nothing nearby for Huren to hide behind, but please do tell me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-10-22 at 02:02 PM.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Huren

Huren glances at Eveve for a moment, then shrugs. He can keep an eye open, when it comes to it. He moves to his designated position, then mentally shifts a part of his awareness to a height above him, and begins looking in all directions from that point. As the party moves forward, his pace becomes more delicate, and he barely seems to interact with the sand beneath his feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Huren uses Sensing Eye, chosing a spot 5 squares (25 feet) straight up, using that point for line of sight. He is still fully aware of his surroundings.

Perception check all around: (1d20+10)[13]

Using Body Equilibrium for movement, giving +5 to Acrobatics to balance, and not sinking when walking over soft or brittle terrain, such as dust, silt, mud, snow or thin ice (though the last 3 are unlikely lol). Just in case there's some kind of hazard in the party's path.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

"I've got a bad feeling about this... nothing in the desert 'signals' for help. They accept fate. This doesn't bode well...." Lazam walks slowly and noticeably not in front.
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-10-22 at 03:45 PM.
    PbP Game List:

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

The party slowly approaches the glinting object. After a minute of cautious movement, those with keen eyesight notice the glint coming from the end of a long shaft. As the party moves closer, the image resolves - a sword plunged into the sand. The wind causes the sword to gently sway back and forth in the breeze.

From about 50 feet away, the scene becomes obvious. The sword is embedded in the back of an elf - one the party recognizes from the earlier skirmish. The sword, massive and carved from bone, is the same once wielded by Van the Scarred. A small medallion tied to the hilt reflects the sun back in the direction where the caravan was attacked.

Huren's Eye, in its unique vantage point, sees a larger pattern. A large spiral extends out from the sword, its radius extending perhaps 30 feet from the center. What the party thought to be random features of the landscape now appear to be limbs, bits of clothing, the spray of blood. This was the setting of a massacre.

A break in the spiral indicates something continued a path Northwest, toward the Iron Mines of Tyr and the Forest Ridge.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-10-22 at 04:56 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Calder

Arriving on the scene first, he takes a knee next to the bone sword. He extends his mind around the medallion, trying to recognize what it is, and why it was left behind. Van would not have left his sword behind willing.

Upon hearing Huren's description of the surroundings, Calder smiles, throws his head back, and lets out a hearty laugh. "Damn elves got what they deserved! Good on ya Van!"

He stands back up, and begins to shift through the refuse with his trident. "Now, what are the chances that he left that splinter here..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana on Medallion: (1d20+7)[15] If it appears non-malignant, he will use Telekinetic Grasp to pull it out of the ground and attach it to his back.
    Perception to find the splinter, if it's there at all: (1d20+1)[10]
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Spiral of Death (just kidding) ]

The medallion seems mundane, save the beautiful lustre and ornate detail marking it as belonging to a noble family. Upon closer observation, Calder notes that the sword is broken - the bone sheared off and shattered from a great impact.

Calder's trident is successful at stabbing several soft, fleshy things under the sand, but nothing resembling the stout box that the elves removed from the caravan. A quick count of body parts indicates that perhaps 2-3 elves and Van himself are still alive, or at least not among the bodies here.

Damakos' careful observation of the area gives him the impression that the spiral in the sand was made by the same blast of energy the party encountered when the caravan was attacked.

Eveve's knowledge of overland travel lets her believe that it is possible the sword was discarded to help Van make greater speed in his pursuit.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-10-22 at 06:27 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve -- [Spiral of Death]

Eveve takes in the information quickly. "Van has bought us more time," she notes. "The few remaining elves won't be able to carry the ark so quickly for very long; they must have been switching out porters to get it this far as quickly as they did, and now the option is lost."

She takes a deep breath and a deep drink, clears her throat and shakes her head. "No rest here. We've gained time and may catch the elves before they reach any point where the traces would be more confusing. And it would be unwise to stay where scavengers will inevitably be drawn. Let's be off." She pulls up her filter and takes point next to Calder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any lost surges or Endurance checks so far for jogging?

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Calder - [Spiral of Death]

Calder flicks one last shred of elf, a forearm apparently, off into the sand, using his telekinesis to wrap the medallion around his belt, letting it hang off his right hip. Rikus told me that Van would be helpful on this mission, but I had no idea he was this powerful. Wrapping his scarf back around his face as Eveve had done with her filter, Calder runs alongside the dwarf. While he was sure he was the better one in a fight, the strange woman clearly had the upper hand in dealing with matters out here. Calder couldn't ask anyone for directions in the sand, nor grease any palms nor intimidate spineless cowards. Wherever Eveve pointed, Calder was going to go.

"You have a plan for what to do with them, once we find them? Besides make another little circle like that one. I assume that we can't just run in and wail on them, given how fast they move out here."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

The Tiefling looks around the scene with the eye of an impartial observer. He notes the unique items, the corpses and the sand. He ponders all of this for a good while before commenting, "This is a pretty wild scene. I have not seen something like this since my years as a Bandit out in the Silt Sea. It seems our dear friend Van caught up with our targets before we did. Why he left such a high quality sword is beyond me. The man was quite stocky. The weight wouldn't have thrown him off that much... Though I would defer to others' wisdom in such matters. I tread and pack lightly. Weapons are not really my forte."

Damakos kneels down to get a closer look at the sand. As he does, his left hand unconsciously rubs the hem of his cloak. He looks around the scene and simply states, "Had we known Van was as deadly as this from the outset, I believe we would have chanced trekking off with him when he first left. Ah, determination and gusto - they make men out of boys." The Tieflings looks up from the devastation and says, "We must make haste, our prey is weakened. Now is the time to strike. Flurry, for we shan't be as fortuitous as this again. "
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2012-10-23 at 01:30 AM.
    DMing:

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    "You have a plan for what to do with them, once we find them? Besides make another little circle like that one. I assume that we can't just run in and wail on them, given how fast they move out here."
    Eveve nods, a gesture clearly seen even with her hood up to protect her head. She calls back over her shoulder so that the rest of the group can hear as they walk away from the place of carnage. "Yes ... well, no specific tactics, but I can describe a clear goal for you. We go for the ark which holds the splinter. Remove it from the elves' hands. If they stay and fight to retain the ark, we will know our prize is still within, and -- even more so after this massacre -- we will finish the raiders as easily as a mekillot eats breakfast. Their options are sorely limited if they must come to us."

She jogs in silence for about half a minute before continuing. "However, if they run, then they have removed the splinter, and our goal is simply to continue dogging their heels. One or two elves can easily outpace us, carrying the prize unencumbered by its container. But one or two elves may quickly fall to predators or ill luck, and one or two elves would not likely be able to bargain away the relic to another group who could simply slay them and take it for themselves."

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    "We must make haste, our prey is weakened. Now is the time to strike. Flurry, for we shan't be as fortuitous as this again."
    Eveve abruptly stops and turns, and her kank runs into her knees, too sluggish in reaction. The crash doesn't even rock her. While she helps the beast right itself, she says with a hard and low voice and an ominous glint in her green eye, "Right now only we and House Stel -- and Van, if he yet lives -- know this diminished band of raiders have possession of the relic. This is greatly to our advantage, and is why I would have followed it had I needed to go alone. Never underestimate the value of knowledge; it is the water of the mind. Damakos is perfectly correct. Fortune favors us, and we must strike before fortune turns foul."

She returns to her jogging, seeming assured that the gravity of her message was conveyed.

Spoiler
    Show
    For the record, I wouldn't have had Eveve leave the group if we'd decided to continue with the caravan. That line about "would have followed it had I needed to go alone" is only true because we're on this path. I'm a team player; I don't believe in putting the character ahead of the group. Just sayin'.

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

The party continues their travel overland, taking breaks to refresh themselves and get out of the sun when possible.

Those raised in the walls of Tyr begin to recognize the region more, as the arid wasteland gives way to ruins and hollowed structures of a similar architecture - speaking to relics of ages past. As the afternoon draws on, the party begins to collectively understand that they may have to camp another night, and that these structures are probably the best bet.

Spoiler
    Show
    No loss of healing surges for keeping up a pace. Travel is flavor for now, but will not become a factor unless it needs to be. Since nobody expended any daily powers and nobody took damage, feel free to RP the end of day however you want and then I will post again to move the next day forward.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2012-10-23 at 04:42 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Damakos

The Tiefling audibly groans as he comes to the realization that the party will be forced to sleep in the wastes once more. Half jokingly he states, "If only we could have borrowed the Sub-Matron's castle-like carriage. Imagine the beds we could be enjoying right now! And the meals! Oh, how I wish we traveled in style. Damaos casts his eyes about and sighs, Look like we should find a defensible location to set up camp. I'm sure my back can take another night of this sandy bed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature Check to find a good spot to camp: (1d20+8)[10]
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2012-10-25 at 09:08 PM.
    DMing:

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you camp, the elves will get another 6+ hour lead on you.

If you guys decide to press on, you can make it to the Iron Mines by morning. If you press on, everyone needs to make a DC 15 Endurance check. 15 or better and you're fine. 14 or less and you lose 2 healing surges.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Eveve -- [Open Desert Near Tyr]

"Damakos! Please don't let your certainty of this morning fade away! We need to press on to keep right behind the raiders -- this is still the time to strike. We have light enough to walk by. Surely we can all walk through the night, for the sake of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?" Rather than apply the driving force of the famed Vistani glare, Eveve seems to preach hope, calling on her companions to face their communal challenge to achieve a greater goal than an uncomfortable night's rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that calls for a Diplomacy check to support companions' Endurance rolls. How does Eveve do at that job? (d20+2)[13]

EDIT: Also, I firmly believe that Eveve's Endurance check should have a higher DC. She's been jogging/hustling the whole time to avoid slowing down the party. Jogging for a day is HARD. Jogging for a day while leading an ornery, half-demented kank is even HARDER.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2012-10-25 at 10:52 PM.

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Lazam

Lazam quietly continues on, grumbling without so much as a word. A fiery sense of determination is in his eyes, albeit it could be the sun getting to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Endurance check: (1d20+7)[12]
    PbP Game List: