New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    We know Malack's ECL though, he has at least 11 levels of Cleric and a +8 level adjustment for being a vampire. Not to mention a +1 for being a Lizardfolk. So Malack's ECL is at least 20.
    How is Malack's ECL relevant to turning? A positive level adjustment reflects a disadvantage in hit dice, saving throws, and the like in exchange for other abilities. ECL is used to determine where a character is in the experience tables (and starting equipment, but that's obviously far in the past here). You use actual level/hit dice for everything else, including turning.

The extra hit die for starting lizardfolk, on the other hand, would alter the numbers, I think. If I'm understanding correctly, Malack should be turned as his cleric level + 5. That would push his max cleric level down by 1 in each scenario, assuming that his precaution is within the bounds of reason and that he knows--at least approximately--how effective Durkon is likely to be at turning him.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    How is Malack's ECL relevant to turning?
    It's not. I was mistaken. And you have been ninja'd by several others pointing this out. Let's move on please.

3. - Top - End - #513

It's not. I was mistaken. And you have been ninja'd by several others pointing this out. Let's move on please.
    Sorry--I went off to research it in mid-reply, because I wasn't sure, and didn't see the new posts when I got back. (It's never come up in any of my campaigns.)

4. - Top - End - #514

Technically 17+ since this thread pegs Malack as at least an 11th level cleric thus far.
    Good point. Let's call him 13 hit dice.

Durkon (15th level) can turn between 11 and 18 hit dice of undead, averaging 15 dice.

His actual turn roll (assuming a -1 Chr mod) is 2d6+14

So yeah, I can see why Malack would be concerned.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

So as I'm sure most of you are aware, OOTS strips will appear regularly in the new Gygax magazine. Since the Dragon magazine comics have traditionally been a valid target for Geekery, the comics in this new magazine should likewise qualify. Unfortunately I haven't seen the magazine yet, but perhaps someone would like to comment on what this comic tells us about character stats?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #516
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    magazine yet, but perhaps someone would like to comment on what this comic tells us about character stats?
    At least issue #1 tells us nothing new.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

7. - Top - End - #517
    Banned

Reposted from the Spells Durkon Has Cast Already Today thread:

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Is it certain that Durkon has prepared planar ally today? Strip 865 does not seem definitive, since Durkon talks about casting it if the Order can hold the Gate til dawn.

Excluding planar ally, the plane shifts and greater magic weapon, here's the list of spells Durkon has cast or stated he has prepared today:

8th
    7thholy wordD, mass death ward, resurrection (2)
    6thextended true seeing, find the path, heal (2)
    5thtrue seeing
    4th
    3rddispel magic, mass resist energy, meld into stone, remove blindness/deafness, speak with dead, thor's lightningD
    2ndhold person
    1st
    0 (at-will)detect poison, guidance

...plus at least two healing spells of unknown level

Assuming Durkon's level 15 and has 23 Wisdom, he has, including one domain spell slot per level, two level 8 spell slots, three level 7 spell slots, five level 6 spell slots, six level 5 spell slots, six level 4 spell slots, seven level 3 spell slots, eight level 2 spell slots, eight level 1 spell slots, and six level 0 spell slots. He has cast four level 7 spells, of which holy word was a domain spell, and four level 6 spells of which none was a domain spell. Thus, he had to have prepared either mass death ward or one of his two resurrections in his non-domain level 8 spell slot, and in turn that his level 8 and level 6 domain spells are his sole remaining prepared spells above level 5.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-02-28 at 12:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #518

A possible "oops" in my earlier calculations:

While we're pretty sure Durkon's Knowledge (Religion) isn't maxed out, it's possible he's taken 5 or more ranks in it by now. If so, he gets a +2 bonus on his turn rolls, so his best modified roll would be 21. As it happens, that isn't actually enough to bump him up to the next tier of turning, so I don't think it changes the analysis. I just didn't want to overlook it.

Oh, and speaking of skills: doesn't the fact that he researched a spell at all indicate that Durkon has some ranks in Spellcraft?
    Last edited by Balance; 2013-02-28 at 01:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519

Reposted from the Spells Durkon Has Cast Already Today thread:
    At such level, in determining his spells per day we should count only spells that:
    1) were cast on-screen
    2) if they were cast more than once - were cast without any sufficient off-screen delay

First point is because they have more than enough resources to casually use scrolls, wands and other items, second point is because of items like Pearls of Power that allow to restore memorization of a spell you've already cast once.

10. - Top - End - #520

BlueWizardGirl

As of the latest strip, we now have strong evidence that Malack is a multiclassed (Barbarian or Shaman)/Cleric.
    Last edited by Feddlefew; 2013-02-28 at 03:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    As of the latest strip, we now have strong evidence that Malack is a multiclassed (Barbarian or Shaman)/Cleric.
    I throught the same, although I think that with shaman he refers to the title, as being some kind of "Tribal Cleric" should suffice

12. - Top - End - #522
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    At such level, in determining his spells per day we should count only spells that:
    1) were cast on-screen
    2) if they were cast more than once - were cast without any sufficient off-screen delay

First point is because they have more than enough resources to casually use scrolls, wands and other items, second point is because of items like Pearls of Power that allow to restore memorization of a spell you've already cast once.
    Mass death ward is a custom spell unique to Durkon, who has never once alluded to having the Scribe Scroll feat. It is almost certain he cast it from a spell slot. He used diamond dust as a material component for his attempted resurrection of a Draketooth, and stated he would need to use the rest of his diamond dust for another attempt, so both of those must have come from his spell slots. We saw him cast holy word onscreen.

Strictly speaking, the number of lower-level spells doesn't matter for purposes of determining a character's level once we've accounted, as we have, for all of Durkon's level 8 and level 7 slots. If Durkon casts another level 7 spell, or two level 8 spells, then we'll need to revise his level up or down.

Speaking of which, the new comic presents some more spells:

8th
    5thtrue seeing
    4thcure critical wounds
    3rddispel magic, mass resist energy, meld into stone, remove blindness/deafness, speak with dead, thor's lightningD
    2ndcure moderate wounds, hold person (2), remove paralysis
    1st
    0 (at-will)detect poison, guidance

13. - Top - End - #523

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by mawexzon View Post
    I throught the same, although I think that with shaman he refers to the title, as being some kind of "Tribal Cleric" should suffice
    I was pretty certain that there was a shaman NPC class, but I don't have my DMG on me right now to check.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I rather think that Malack's class has always been cleric, and the "shaman" thing is a descriptive title just like Miko being a samurai. "Barbarian", similarly, is a descriptive adjective for the society he lived in, not an indication of class.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

15. - Top - End - #525
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Yeah, Like that rogue cleric who was just a cleric who went rogue, not a rogue/cleric.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is it possible to put Malack's level to 12+ since 873?
    Lv 11 Cleric can cast 1+1 6th level spells and 2+1 5th level spells. In one day, Malack casted:

Blade Barrier and Heal(notice that unlike in 724, he's casting from his hand, not just staff) If he were just lv.11, one of his domains should be Strength or Healing(heh)

Harm and Quickened Inflict Moderate Wounds. With the same reasoning, one of his domains must be Destruction.

Quickened Inflict Light Wounds and twice Flame Strike. So he would have to have Sun or War domain.

And that simply doesn't hold water. So he needs to have at least 12 Cleric levels.

Edit: I forgot he may also get bonus spells from High Wisdom. Never mind then
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2013-02-28 at 04:49 PM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

17. - Top - End - #527

Malack is over 200 years old. This can be added to the profile.

Also, he was named differently while alive.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2013-02-28 at 05:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #528
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

If he is 200 years old, Does he get age bonuses? Undead don't get penalties if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by mawexzon; 2013-02-28 at 05:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

There's no clear answer on Undead and age benefits. As a DM I'd rule that any bonuses they got would be preserved and physical penalties would be eliminated (especially for Con), but they wouldn't get anything else. However since there's no clear answer, I'll leave it alone for now.

Age and Alias is fair game though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    Is it possible to put Malack's level to 12+ since 873?
    Lv 11 Cleric can cast 1+1 6th level spells and 2+1 5th level spells. In one day, Malack casted:

Blade Barrier and Heal(notice that unlike in 724, he's casting from his hand, not just staff) If he were just lv.11, one of his domains should be Strength or Healing(heh)

Harm and Quickened Inflict Moderate Wounds. With the same reasoning, one of his domains must be Destruction.

Quickened Inflict Light Wounds and twice Flame Strike. So he would have to have Sun or War domain.

And that simply doesn't hold water. So he needs to have at least 12 Cleric levels.

Edit: I forgot he may also get bonus spells from High Wisdom. Never mind then
    So what would we mark this as? Higher cleric levels or higher wisdom? 22 is easy to reach, especially when you have 200 years to do it.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

20. - Top - End - #530
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    There's no clear answer on Undead and age benefits. As a DM I'd rule that any bonuses they got would be preserved and physical penalties would be eliminated (especially for Con), but they wouldn't get anything else. However since there's no clear answer, I'll leave it alone for now.

Age and Alias is fair game though.

So what would we mark this as? Higher cleric levels or higher wisdom? 22 is easy to reach, especially when you have 200 years to do it.
    If he has Age bonuses for being 200 years old then having high wisdom a lot more probable.

21. - Top - End - #531

Note on the first post: The link for Durkon's Mass Death Ward is broken.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    There's no clear answer on Undead and age benefits. As a DM I'd rule that any bonuses they got would be preserved and physical penalties would be eliminated (especially for Con),
    As an undead, he has no constitution score anyway.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

23. - Top - End - #533
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

If he has Age bonuses for being 200 years old then having high wisdom a lot more probable.
    He doesn't even need age bonuses to hit 22. Vampire +4. Assuming 2 points assigned from level ups, that gives him +6. One would assume he's probably got at least 12 or more base wis if he's the shaman, and a magic item boosting wis seems like almost a given as well for someone of his ECL (which is Epic) and accompanying wealth (which should be on par with Tarquin if not greater). I'd probably peg him as having the highest wisdom score of any humanoid in the game thus far, somewhere in the 22-26 range, depending on items, rolls and age bonuses.

Up until now I'd been assuming he'd be turned into a vampire while part of Tarquin's adventuring party. With the revelation that he's actually over 200 years old, I'm inclined to think he's got more than his share of secrets kept from Tarquin as well, and a lot more power than he let on. You don't likely get to be over 200 years old and reach epic levels without some serious talent and power.

Edited; I had mistakenly thought lizardfolk got bonus wisdom, probably a carryover from some roguelike or another I've played.
    Last edited by Stormlock; 2013-02-28 at 06:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

I would expect a creature to stop aging (and stop getting the associated bonuses/penalties, or perhaps only the latter) the moment he turns undead, although I cannot find that rule on d20srd.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

I would expect a creature to stop aging (and stop getting the associated bonuses/penalties, or perhaps only the latter) the moment he turns undead, although I cannot find that rule on d20srd.
    Its because there is no such rule. The books literally makes no statements either way.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Even if it isn't on the rules, The Giant has shown to house-rule it that way, like when Xykon became Lich he felt a lot better, likely returning any penalties he had when he was alive.
    Edit: Now that i've checked, Xykon has age bonuses, so why should Malack have them too?
    Last edited by mawexzon; 2013-02-28 at 07:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537

He used diamond dust as a material component for his attempted resurrection of a Draketooth, and stated he would need to use the rest of his diamond dust for another attempt, so both of those must have come from his spell slots.

Strictly speaking, the number of lower-level spells doesn't matter for purposes of determining a character's level once we've accounted, as we have, for all of Durkon's level 8 and level 7 slots. If Durkon casts another level 7 spell, or two level 8 spells, then we'll need to revise his level up or down.

His two castings of Heal had a lot of off-screen time in-between - more than enough to spend a round on activating Pearl Of Power 6. Same with Resurrections and Pearl of Power 7.

In both cases we can only count three 7th level spell slots and three 6th level spell slots used.
    Last edited by SinsI; 2013-02-28 at 07:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

yuk Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Even if it isn't on the rules, The Giant has shown to house-rule it that way, like when Xykon became Lich he felt a lot better, likely returning any penalties he had when he was alive.
    Edit: Now that i've checked, Xykon has age bonuses, so why should Malack have them too?
    Well, one potential argument is that Xykon was old BEFORE he became undead. We don't know how old Malack was when he got turned, and maybe you only get the age bonus to mental stats while you're alive and retain it while dead, but can't actually accrue them while dead.

I personally find the whole age bonus stat thing really weird anyways. Orcs get smarter faster than humans, and elves and dwarves take forever to gain any wisdom or intelligence or charisma? How does that work?

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    Well, one potential argument is that Xykon was old BEFORE he became undead. We don't know how old Malack was when he got turned, and maybe you only get the age bonus to mental stats while you're alive and retain it while dead, but can't actually accrue them while dead.

I personally find the whole age bonus stat thing really weird anyways. Orcs get smarter faster than humans, and elves and dwarves take forever to gain any wisdom or intelligence or charisma? How does that work?
    I think it has to do with their different way of seeing and perceiving the world, for example, elfs reach physical maturity around 25, but they don't reach point of emotional and mental maturity to start adventuring until quite later.
    Last edited by mawexzon; 2013-02-28 at 07:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah but I still find it really odd to think of an elf that had been adventuring for 120 years from age 115 would have learned less than an orc that fought for 30 from age 15. The 235 year old elf has less world experience than the 45 year old orc? Really? The elf who has been fighting life and death battles for over a century, since before the orc's grandparents were born? He gets less of a wis/int/cha modifier?