New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    You think Belkar's Wisdom is only slightly below average? Really?
    I'm skeptical of how accurately we can use a character's actions to triangulate their ability scores. I would be slow to rule out a RAW explanation, purely if it's the only possible one, if it's the only possible one purely on the basis of a hunch that Belkar's thought process and actions are impossible because of a difference of a couple Wisdom points. I personally would have guessed that Belkar's Wisdom was lower than 9, too, but there's no obvious reason that would be impossible.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I'm skeptical of how accurately we can use a character's actions to triangulate their ability scores. I would be slow to rule out a RAW explanation, purely if it's the only possible one, if it's the only possible one purely on the basis of a hunch that Belkar's thought process and actions are impossible because of a difference of a couple Wisdom points. I personally would have guessed that Belkar's Wisdom was lower than 9, too, but there's no obvious reason that would be impossible.
    Especially if you add it with the Owl's Wisdom idea a page back. 9 seems to be spot on perfect to be negative, but still cast Cure Serious Wounds. I don't think there is a way to judge peoples actions by ability scores to well.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Belkar's Disguise skill

Though it hasn't been explicitly stated, I'm thinking we can say Belkar has some ranks in Disguise as well. He gets away with that mustache in Origin of the PCs, then he spends most of his time in Azure City as a "fellow medium-sized creature" (#298), and then he pulls off playing (un)dead (#528). Granted, there's probably some "rule of funny" going on in all these cases, but Belkar's charisma isn't helping him any, and I think we should acknowledge his frequent (successful) use of the skill on his character sheet.

Rank 1+?
    http://umn.academia.edu/JackVishneski - My Academic Portfolio

https://soundcloud.com/vishneskiaudio - My Audio Engineer Portfolio

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I'm skeptical of how accurately we can use a character's actions to triangulate their ability scores.
    We generally can't. For example, there has been a heavy debate last week where someone claimed that V can't possibly have lost his fight with Xykon because of how intelligent V is. Clearly, in the comic, V's supergenius-level of intellect doesn't stop him from acting stupid, even if this seems like a contradiction to some.

If a character is friendly and nice, we cannot conclude that he is good-aligned. Similarly, if a character is compelling and likable, we cannot conclude that he has a high charisma score. The same standard applies: we look at explicit statements and actions that by the rules require a certain alignment/ability; not subjective logic like "Hinjo appears to be good at coordinating his army therefore he has intelligence 14+".
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #1415

For example, there has been a heavy debate last week where someone claimed that V can't possibly have lost his fight with Xykon because of how intelligent V is
    Nobody claimed that. People like me merely mentioned they found his idiocy to be unsatisfying from a plot perspective. Nobody is saying it's impossible for someone to be stupid.

I don't understand how people say that we don't use ranges... we clearly do, many characters have stats which provide a range. And it should be done for Xykon too. The current info (21+) is not as accurate as it could be. I also don't understand why V is listed as 15 and not 15+. Lots of people have agreed with me that 15+ is more appropriate, and that we have poor evidence for linking V's level to Z's, and yet it persists.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    We generally can't. For example, there has been a heavy debate last week where someone claimed that V can't possibly have lost his fight with Xykon because of how intelligent V is. Clearly, in the comic, V's supergenius-level of intellect doesn't stop him from acting stupid, even if this seems like a contradiction to some.

If a character is friendly and nice, we cannot conclude that he is good-aligned. Similarly, if a character is compelling and likable, we cannot conclude that he has a high charisma score. The same standard applies: we look at explicit statements and actions that by the rules require a certain alignment/ability; not subjective logic like "Hinjo appears to be good at coordinating his army therefore he has intelligence 14+".
    In that case, what's stopping us from listing Belkar's Wisdom score at 9? I was under the impression that the only reason why we didn't have it at 9 already was the non-RAW argument that Belkar's Wisdom "seems" lower.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2013-05-04 at 11:50 AM.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

The reason we don't list it at 9 is because the consensus in the past was that he would need a Wisdom of 10 to use the scroll under Owl's Wisdom, which conflicts with the "ability score penalty" line.
    Last edited by Shale; 2013-05-04 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

That would entirely depend on whether the Wisdom required would be based on the Ranger spell level of Cure Serious Wounds, or the Cleric spell level. I don't know how that works in terms of scrolls -- is it the user's or the scroll creator's or assumed to be Cleric-based or what? I could have been in error with my earlier statement, but it does seem like the most logical answer...

Also, re: Belkar acting a lot lower Wisdom than he might actually be, consider this from a tabletop campaign perspective. It might not be that Belkar's Wisdom is abysmal so much as the fact that "his player" could be very combat-happy and using the ever-so-slightly-subpar Wisdom as an excuse. The Mark of Justice, the Lord Shojo fever dream sequence during the Blind Pete's basement scene, letting him keep Mr. Scruffy... those all seem like things a DM might do to herd "his player" away from just killing every NPC Belkar runs across and to lead him into character development (which he has had quite a lot of lately).

Also because there's never a reason NOT to link TVTropes, probably relevant to Belkar.

...please don't hurt me...

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    The reason we don't list it at 9 is because the consensus in the past was that he would need a Wisdom of 10 to use the scroll under Owl's Wisdom, which conflicts with the "ability score penalty" line.
    No, there was no consensus about this, just a decision made seven years ago. That doesn't mean that we can never change it; in this thread we change things all the time if people have a good argument.

Quote Originally Posted by YukiArtolia View Post
    That would entirely depend on whether the Wisdom required would be based on the Ranger spell level of Cure Serious Wounds, or the Cleric spell level. I don't know how that works in terms of scrolls
    The relevant decisions about a scroll are made by the creator of the scroll, which by RAW is assumed to be a cleric (or druid or wizard, where applicable).

It might not be that Belkar's Wisdom is abysmal so much as the fact that "his player" could be very combat-happy and using the ever-so-slightly-subpar Wisdom as an excuse.
    Interesting angle. I suppose that's possible.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Banned

Isn't there a quote somewhere from the Giant that the OOTS don't have players, but are actually real people within the story? Or did I make that up?

11. - Top - End - #1421

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    No, there was no consensus about this, just a decision made seven years ago. That doesn't mean that we can never change it; in this thread we change things all the time if people have a good argument.

The relevant decisions about a scroll are made by the creator of the scroll, which by RAW is assumed to be a cleric (or druid or wizard, where applicable).

Interesting angle. I suppose that's possible.
    So is there a problem to make Belkar's Wisdom 9? It fits having a penalty, and if it is a cleric scroll, as it was found on Durkon, the +4 from Owl's Wisdom would be enough. Is this enough proof to have Belkar's Wisdom listed as nine?

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I know that this thread is not currently maintained for non-main characters, but in case we want them in the future, #842 gives us a list of spells for the Draketooth clan that bound some of their levels. Sami, who is listed third, can cast Screen (an 8th level sor/wiz spell; while it's a 7th-level Trickery Cleric spell the Draketooths show no signs of being Clerics), which makes him or her at least level 15.

13. - Top - End - #1423

I wouldn't mind guys like Dorukan being added either. Any information about Epic characters who are crucial to the story is good to know. A decent estimate of his level and spells should be possible.

And the Ancient Black Dragon, just so people can stop asking how powerful she is. And how about Therkla?
    Last edited by Mage Paradox; 2013-05-04 at 10:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Isn't Samantha only grandfathered in to begin with?

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I think it could be useful to have a number of character appearances at which point we automatically start listing characters at - 60, for example (the minimum number needed to be in the top tier in the Number of Character Appearances thread). Even if we don't know much about their stats, at least we can list that lack of definite knowledge about story-essential characters.

Thoughts, anyone? I know that most characters who have reached that level of prominence are already covered, and we could make exceptions for other characters deemed worthy of consideration - new Linear Guild members, for example. But it could be a useful baseline in those "fringe" situations where it's genuinely unclear whether a character should be included.

16. - Top - End - #1426

I don't see why the burden has to be so high as to be 60 appearances. Guys like YikYik, YukYuk and Yokyok, who are the definition of throw away characters, all get a bio... so why not characters of similar or greater importance to the plot (who appear as much or more)- from Dorukan to Enor & Ganji. More information isn't a bad thing, and if other people are willing to put the effort in to write their profiles, it's no skin off your neck.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mage Paradox View Post
    I don't see why the burden has to be so high as to be 60 appearances. Guys like YikYik, YukYuk and Yokyok, who are the definition of throw away characters, all get a bio... so why not characters of similar or greater importance to the plot (who appear as much or more)- from Dorukan to Enor & Ganji. More information isn't a bad thing, and if other people are willing to put the effort in to write their profiles, it's no skin off your neck.
    Those kobolds only get mentions because they're members of the Linear Guild, though. Yokyok has like 4 appearances, and we can't, of course, admit everyone who appears in the comic four times.

I think the main reason why we don't include characters like Enor and Ganji is that there isn't that much provable information about them, and nobody wants to scroll past a long list of sparse, mostly-empty stat blocks. Characters that we don't know much about should sometimes be mentioned, in my opinion, but only if their absence would leave an obvious void due to their prominence in their story.

But 60 appearances was just an example of where we could set the bar, of course. If others feel as though that's too high a bar, I'd be equally happy with a lower threshold.

18. - Top - End - #1428

Forget Enor And Ganji for a second. Dorukan is central to the overarching plot, and he has more appearances than some listed people. You could also surmise quite a few things about his stats, owing to the fight he was in. I don't understand why being in the Linear Guild is more worthy of an appearance in the listings than say being one of the order of the scribble. Imagine that that Harry Potter parody had been given a 2 panel membership to the guild before being killed off. Would it have made him worthy of an inclusion too? Obviously not. Meanwhile Dorukan has what, 17 appearances including in extras, is central to the overarching plot, and could have a detailed bio done on him, but he is snubbed in favour of a bunch of Kobolds who we know next to nothing about and who turned up for less strips...
    Last edited by Mage Paradox; 2013-05-05 at 01:48 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Firbolg in the Playground

And the Ancient Black Dragon, just so people can stop asking how powerful she is. And how about Therkla?
    Is there any reason you are suggesting this other than to fuel your obsession with a hypothetical match between Xykon and the (dead) ancient black dragon, even though Xykon could beat soul-spliced V and soul-spliced V could be the dragon, and the dragon is dead?
    The only thing we know about the dragon is that it can cast spells that unmodified creatures of its kind can't. We have virtually no idea why it can cast more powerful spells, just that it can. There's really nothing else to list.

I think it could be useful to have a number of character appearances at which point we automatically start listing characters at - 60, for example (the minimum number needed to be in the top tier in the Number of Character Appearances thread). Even if we don't know much about their stats, at least we can list that lack of definite knowledge about story-essential characters.
    Sounds reasonable.

I wouldn't mind guys like Dorukan being added either. Any information about Epic characters who are crucial to the story is good to know. A decent estimate of his level and spells should be possible.
    Do we even know if Dorukan was epic?

Forget Enor And Ganji for a second. Dorukan is central to the overarching plot, and he has more appearances than some listed people. You could also surmise quite a few things about his stats, owing to the fight he was in. I don't understand why being in the Linear Guild is more worthy of an appearance in the listings than say being one of the order of the scribble. Imagine that that Harry Potter parody had been given a 2 panel membership to the guild before being killed off. Would it have made him worthy of an inclusion too? Obviously not.
    Yes, it obviously would, because all linear guild members get included.
    Meanwhile Dorukan has what, 17 appearances including in extras, is central to the overarching plot, and could have a detailed bio done on him, but he is snubbed in favour of a bunch of Kobolds who we know next to nothing about and who turned up for less strips...
    Dorukan has only 4 appearances, less than the kobolds.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Do we even know if Dorukan was epic?
    He would have had to be, in order to cast Cloister.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2013-05-05 at 02:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1431

I'm not sure why you posted the above. Dorukan has 17 appearances, and yet you quote me saying that and say "he has 4".

And yes, we know alot about him from SoD. He's need Epic crafting feats to make the Gates, among other things. A quite detailed profile of him could be statted out. Much moreso than the random Kobold's we keep including.
    Last edited by Mage Paradox; 2013-05-05 at 02:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1432

Someone with a better knowledge of energy drain (and how it affects fighters) than me will need to cover this one, but does 886 suggest Roy is level 14? We know he needed to get an extra level in order to use the feat his grand father taught him, and after being energy drained he's still able to pull it off. I know it's in his mind, but clearly he thinks he would still be able to pull it off minus a level.
    Last edited by Mage Paradox; 2013-05-05 at 03:13 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm not sure why you posted the above. Dorukan has 17 appearances, and yet you quote me saying that and say "he has 4".
    I said that he has only 4 appearances because that's how many he has. Learn to count.
    And even if for some weird reason we count all of Dorukon's appearances in bonus content as main appearances, that still only makes him an infrequent character. For that matter, Yikyik has 17 appearances without bonus content, and yet you seem to think that kobolds aren't worth listing.

Also, we really don't have that much info on him. We've seen some spells that he's cast. That's (almost) it.

24. - Top - End - #1434

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I said that he has only 4 appearances because that's how many he has. Learn to count.
    And even if for some weird reason we count all of Dorukon's appearances in bonus content as main appearances, that still only makes him an infrequent character. For that matter, Yikyik has 17 appearances without bonus content, and yet you seem to think that kobolds aren't worth listing.

Also, we really don't have that much info on him. We've seen some spells that he's cast. That's (almost) it.
    {SCRUBBED} Dorukan has 17 appearances with bonus content like SoD. I've said that 3 times now, I'm not sure what part of it you're struggling with, or why you continually repeat "he has 4 appearances". The Kobold's are throw away characters, literally, one of them having a mere 4 appearances. There is virtually no info on them. In contrast we know alot about Dorukan's life because he is a pivotal character in regards to the overarching plot. Arcane users are also much easier to stat than Rogue Kobolds, so we could easily put together a good stat sheet on him. Your objections don't hold up.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree with Mage Paradox. It seems that Roy is now able to use the special move he learned in the afterlife, so he must be at least level 14 because he needed to spend a feat to adquire this move. Also this special move should be listed in his profile.

Drain energy makes the target gain 2D4 levels so Roy has to be at least at level 16 to be able to use the move even after being affected by that spell.

But I would wait to the next strip,
    Spoiler
    Show
    because it seems strange that belkar shows whirly eyes after the "X" eyes. As it seems an illusion then only the level 14 may be assured
    Last edited by Dain; 2013-05-05 at 03:58 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Guys, I think it was pretty clear that most of the strip #886 was an illusion. A dream. Anything can happen in a dream. There's no way how anything solid about the characters can be obtained, because they were dreaming and their actions didn't have to have any base in the mechanics.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

27. - Top - End - #1437

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    I agree with Mage Paradox. It seems that Roy is now able to use the special move he learned in the afterlife, so he must be at least level 14 because he needed to spend a feat to adquire this move. Also this special move should be listed in his profile.

Drain energy makes the target gain 2D4 levels so Roy has to be at least at level 16 to be able to use the move even after being affected by that spell.

But I would wait to the next strip,
    Spoiler
    Show
    because it seems strange that belkar shows whirly eyes after the "X" eyes.
    Negative Levels from Energy Drain do not actually cause you to 'lose levels.' You simply take stat penalties, PER Negative Level.:

• -1 on all skill checks and ability checks.
    • -1 on attack rolls and saving throws.
    • -5 hit points.
    • -1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).
    • If the victim casts spells, she loses access to one spell as if she had cast her highest-level, currently available spell. (If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses.) In addition, when she next prepares spells or regains spell slots, she gets one less spell slot at her highest spell level.

Thus, he would retain the feat, presuming this was real, and not just an illusion. And it was an illusion...
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shall we add Mage Slayer feat and 2 ranks in Spellcraft for Roy?
    It does to casters exactly what #886 depicts...

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground

I agree that the newest strip isn't conclusive evidence that Roy can use this feat now. It's an illusion, so he may have imagined being able to do it even though he can't do it in reality.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    Guys, I think it was pretty clear that most of the strip #886 was an illusion. A dream. Anything can happen in a dream. There's no way how anything solid about the characters can be obtained, because they were dreaming and their actions didn't have to have any base in the mechanics.
    I'm inclined to agree with this, especially since I think what we were seeing was effectively Roy's personal fantasy.