New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - Part II

"Any tips on taking them on besides just hit them a lot? I can't exactly attack flying critters in the air."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

The halfling leader indicates the large ballistas that line Whiteveil's wall. "If they're smart, they won't fly very high. My archers and slingers should be able to keep them pinned even further. The ogres are going to be a bit of a problem, though. We don't have the kind of hitting power to take them on; I doubt even you and your lance could do much."

Berich smiles coldly. "I think I have a few tricks I could hit them with. Just get me in close."
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, Grembler is riding with me, so...I think the best way for you to get close is for you to hide in the tall grass up ahead. Go with the halfling and hdie there. I will try to lure the ogres to walk near the grass so you may spring your trap."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

The halflings disperse, disappearing in the tall grass. The enemy holds position, evidently not aware yet of your presense. Some of the beasts, especially the griffons, seem restless.

"Boss," Grembler says, "I have idea. Get griffons close together, then get me close to them."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure thing. Do you want me to charge in with my lance, or just get in and get them talking ot you can launch a surprise attack? If I lance one I'm sure the griffons will all chase me."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

"Griffins ain't much for talking, n' I don't think da others are either. Just get their attention, I think I can do the rest."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 72/72  AC: 18 + 2 vs Evil Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W (+2 to all save vs Evil)
    Conditions:  LoH 5/7, Protection From Evil, Charging

Trombe
    HP: 66/66  AC: 17  Saves: 12F / 11R / 7W
    Conditions: Charging, Devotion
    The paladin guides her war steed to the east (off the map) and north as she casts the ever-trusty spell to protect herself from evil. Then, when she is in position, she spurrs Trombe forward, aiming her lance at the handler right before the griffon! "You griffons are next!"

Spoiler
    Show

This is two turns's worth since combat has not started.
    While Trombe moves off screen to the east and north, Karrin casts Protection from Evil on self. Then, they Charge the Handler at 8AH from the southeast direction, ending at 9AJ
    Charge attack (+2 Charge): (1d20+12)[27]
    Damage (x3 Charge): (3d8+15)[36]
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-10-20 at 12:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

As you move to take your charging position, the beasts reposition themselves in front of their handlers, likely at the handlers' orders. You complete your spell and charge. As you complete your spell, Grembler casts some form of hex on the griffon.

Between you and the handler stand one green-scaled drake and one massive ogre, covered head to toe in plate and carrying a massive shield and flail, which it spins dangerously. As you pass in between the two of them, they lunge for you. You duck under the ogre's swing, but the drake bites you.

Take 11 damage.

You spear the handler through fatally. Grembler casts a spell on one of the nearby griffon. The griffon's eyes light up the color of Grembler's magic. It leaps on top of the drake and begins to attempt to mate with it, the draconian roaring and struggling in protest.

A hail of slingstones bounce of the other ogre's shields. The halflings seem to be trying to keep the enemy's attention divided. Your companions on foot approach from the south.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 61/72  AC: 20 + 2 vs Evil Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W (+2 to all save vs Evil)
    Conditions:  LoH 5/7, Protection From Evil
    Trombe
    HP: 66/66  AC: 19  Saves: 12F / 11R / 7W
    Conditions: Devotion
    "Trombe, defend me and Grembler!" commands Karrin. She starts striking at the ogre that struck at her.

Spoiler
    Show

Trombe does have Bodyguard, so he can give Karrin (or Grembler) +2 to AC against up to 3 attacks. Trombe also readies an action to Aid Another, so that means he can help against up to 4 attacks this turn. Karrin, as a reminder, does have Mounted Combat so she can roll her Ride skill to help Trombe avoid a hit if necessary.

Full attack vs Ogre
    Attack1: (1d20+10)[28]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6]
    Attack2: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[12]

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

You land one solid attack, drawing blood from the ogre. Your companions move up closer to the fray.

The drake with some effort manages to throw the griffon off of it. Two slingstones bounce off the war ogre in front of you. Grembler stares it down, eldritch power burning in his gaze. Unnerved, it brings its flail around at you, missing widely. The other ogres continue to hold position, guarding the handlers. They whirl their flails threateningly.

The previously enchanted griffon seems to break free of its stupor, yet unwilling to let the matter drop. With no handler to stop it, the fierce creature leaps once more for the drake, but it fights it off. The other griffon also enters the fray, attacking the drake. The drake bites at it.

More rocks bounce off the ogres; you are not sure what the halflings are planning.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    Trombe
    With the other walking up to the 2 other ogres, Karrin keeps the attention of the one ogre in front of her, stabbing at it more forcefully than before.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trombe still readies an Aid Another to give Karrin more AC.

Full attack vs Ogre
    Attack1 (-2 PA): (1d20+8)[14]
    Damage (+6 PA): (1d8+11)[14]
    Attack2 (-2 PA): (1d20+3)[8]
    Damage (+6 PA): (1d8+11)[15]

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle steps up to attack one of the ogres. It brings its flail down heavily onto her shield, but she deflects it to the side. She cannot get past its shield, though. Davkas begins to chant a tune you cannot make out this far away. Berich casts a spell, and a puddle of slippery substance appears beneath them, causing the one closest to Mirabelle to fall with a loud clamor. The other struggles, but maintains its balance. One of the handlers snaps his whip at Mirabelle. This does not seem to faze her in the least.

The drake turns viciously on the griffons accosting it. It bites deep into the neck of one of the griffons, drawing a copious amount of blood. Grembler continues his rueful gaze at the nearby ogre, further weakening its ability to resist. You see the halfling leader throw a bag at the ogre. It hits, splashing a thick, viscose substance all over it. Said ogre swings at you again, but goes wide once more.

The griffons attack the drake together. While one distracts it, the other attempts to leap on it, and the struggle continues.

An arrow shoots from behind you, and lands squarely in the visor of the ogre in front of you. It stumbles back, clutching its faceplate. Its form seems to sag as though it was physically weakened.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    Trombe
    Nudging Trombe to stake a quick step to the east, Karrin continues her assault on the weakened ogre! This divide and conquer strategy seems to be working for the moment. "Trombe, kick 'em! Grembler, terrific job so far!" Unforunately, Karrin sneezes at an inopportune time, missing completely!
    Spoiler
    Show

Trombe helps Karrin attack the Ogre!
    Aid Another: (1d20+8)[17]
    Trombe 5-ft steps one square east.

Full attack vs Ogre
    Attack1 (-2 PA, +2 Aid Another): (1d20+10)[11]
    Attack2 (-2 PA): (1d20+3)[10]
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-10-21 at 07:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

While you fight, Mirabelle runs forward and decapitates the nearest handler. Davkas casts a spell shattering the shield of the standing ogre. Berich runs forward, a ball of lightning in his hand. The ogre swings, though, and catchs him on the back. His hand is still able to connect with the ogre, and crackling blue bolts arch over it. The remaining handler makes a run for it, disappearing before anyone can take him out.

The drake takes another chunk out of the griffon that first assailed it. The captain moves back in the direction of the two ogres. Grembler puts yet another hex on the ogre in front of you, which still stumbles about. "Methinks that arrow was poisoned," Grembler says, as the ogre misses yet again. The griffons carve at the drake with beak and claw.

The far west ogre lets out a grunt of pain as a lucky bullet pierces a chink in its armor.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    Trombe
    Frustrated at her lack of success, the Paladin tries to stab less recklessly, even though the blows will land less forcefully. "Can't let Mira have ALL the fun now can I?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Aid Another: (1d20+8)[10]

Full attack vs Ogre
    Attack1 (+2 Aid Another): (1d20+12)[29]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7]
    Attack2: (1d20+7)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6]

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

You succeed in hitting a deadly blow. The ogre topples to the ground with a great crash.

Mirabelle slashes at the prone ogre, but cannot get through its armor. Davkas attempts to cast a spell on the far ogre, but it resists the effect. Berich once again sends bolts of lightning into the standing ogre. This is enough to completely burn it away, and it collapses into a charred heap.

The drake leaps away, and spits a wad of a sickly-green substance which explodes into a caustic mist not far from you. Trombe shies away, but you are not injured. The same cannot be said of the griffons; their feathers dissolve and they clutch at their eyes.

You feel a soothing energy come over your body; you realized Grembler cast a healing spell on you.

You are healed 6 points.

The prone ogre rises to its feet, deflecting a blow from Mira, and brings its flail down on her shield. The other remaining ogre charges Berich, striking him with a mighty blow. The bloodied mercenary is clearly struggling to stay on his feet.

The two griffons, ignoring you for the moment, leap after the drake. The halflings launch another volley of stones at the ogre, one getting through.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 67/72  AC: 20 + 2 vs Evil Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W (+2 to all save vs Evil)
    Conditions:  LoH 4/7, Protection From Evil
    Trombe
    Even though the mercenary Berich won't be with the group for long, Karrin still has an obligation to help him. Spurring Trombe around, she rides to the rescue. "Thank you for the healing. Grembler, the moment you are in range, heal Berich as well." The paladin's hand glows in preparation as well, and she lays it upon the mercenary when she can.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trombe Double Moves to 11T.

Karrin uses Lay on Hands on Berich.
    Healing: (3d6)[11]

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle slashes at the ogre's legs, drawing blood. Davkas attempts to use magic to befuddle it, but fails. Berich turns on the ogre who charged him, and casts a spell that powers his hammer with lightning. He then strike the ogre firmly on the skull. The shocking bolt blows apart its helmet and skull, leaving a charred neck stump.

As the drake struggles, the halfling captain his the remaining ogre with a slingstone. Said ogre then proceeds to strike Mirabelle with a terrible blow to the skull. She staggers, blood pouring profusely from her wound.

With a screech, the griffons deal a debilitating blow to the drake. It then begins to roar in weak protest as the two magical animals lift it up by its wings and carry it off the battlefield.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    Conditions:  LoH 3/7, Protection From Evil
    Trombe
    With another one of her allies in danger, Karrin is kept busy! She has Trombe rush over to Mira. "Trombe, protect Mira! Grembler, befuddle the ogre!" After laying her hands upon Mira, Karrin snarls fiercely at the ogre.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trombe Moves to 9X and readies an action to Aid Another on Mira to give her +2 AC. Trombe will also prioritize Bodyguard to protect Mira.

Karrin uses Lay on Hands on Mira
    Healing: (3d6)[11]

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Revitalized, Mirabelle hits the ogre once more, drawing blood. Davkas and Berich continue to batter it with spell and hammer. Grembler hexes it once more.

The ogre stumbles about, weakened significantly. It tries to bring its flail down on you, but you manage to get yourself and Trombe out of the way.

The halflings bed down in the tall grass. To the south, you hear shrieks of the drake out of sight. From both east and west, you hear marching feet approaching.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2012-10-24 at 08:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    Conditions:  LoH 3/7, Protection From Evil
    Trombe
    Frustrated at her lack of success, the Paladin tries to stab less recklessly, even though the blows will land less forcefully. "Berich, Davkas, I think reinforcements are coming and we'll be caught in the middle. Go get the horses get read to head for the gates if necessary. Mira and I can finish off the ogre."
    Spoiler
    Show

Aid Another: (1d20+8)[20]

Full attack vs Ogre
    Attack1 (+2 Aid Another): (1d20+12)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[8]
    Attack2: (1d20+5)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[13]

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Before anything else can be done, the ogre wobbles and collapses without any wounds being inflicted.

Berich and Davkas run south to retrieve the horses. A pair of lines of well-equipped Angrovite soldiers appear from the east and west, carrying nasty-looking polearms. They brace their lines some distance from you on both sides, as though waiting for something.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

"From the west too? Their backs are to the city walls. How did they get there and where are the Whiteveil calvalry? Tssch. Let's see if they're here to follow us. Mira stay near me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Karrin gets Trombe to move to 12Q to see if the ANgrovites shift positions.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-10-25 at 03:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

(The wall is to the north. The gate is in the wall to the NW)

Mirabelle moves with you, standing at the ready. The halflings stay down, invisible inside the grass. The rest of your companions continue for the horses.

The soldiers advance in a steady gait, methodical and purposeful. They keep themselves ready to counter any charges.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

"Mira, use your bow!" Karrin positions herself and Trombe nearby as to protect Mira, and hopefully Mira starts pin-cushioning the angrove soldiers.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle ducks behind you and draws her bow. The soldiers continue to advance.

A hail of slingstones emerge from the tall grass, battering the soldiers.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

"Halflings, SPREAD OUT! Let's force them to separate or be pelted to death! Mira, shoot one of them then go north. Run and shoot, run and shoot! Make them chase you."

Karrin waits and sees what happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    Karrin Delays to see what the enemies do. If one of the enemies advances on her, Karrin will reasset initiative. The plan is to Divide and conquer. Don't let the enemy fight in an organized line. Kite the enemy.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

The halflings pelt the west line and begin to scatter. The west line turns and heads for the grass, pikes extended. The east line continues its slow, deliberate advance.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

ooc - The ones headed for the grass have their pikes facing the grass instead of all readied to set against a charge right?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

(That is correct)