New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - Part II

"Damn. Whiteveil soldiers and an unknown group, both with casualties. The imp's presecne may or may not be coincidental. Let's check the bodies, see if we can determine whether devils killed these people, or whether the two groups killed each other."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

You begin your search, and hear a wet coughing sound. Following it to its source, you find a grievously wounded wolf's-head soldier. He gasps, coughing up blood, and does not seem to register your approach.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin rushes to the middle of the group and just decides to unleash her holy energies into the area, to see if they can save more than just one person.

Channel Positive Energy: (3d6)[14]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

You release a wave of your holy energy, providing healing to all within the immediate area. Another grey-cloaked figure stirs, and the one in front of you blinks as he sudden feels his wounds lessening.

"Who are you," he asks, surreptitiously reaching for his sword, which lays where he dropped it not far from reach. "Whose side are you on?"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm on the side of the Good. More immediately, I'm on the side of Person who just Saved Your Life. Retrieve your weapon but keep it sheathed. I don't want any more people getting hurt. Tell me what happened here."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Warily, the soldier follows your command.

"Everything went wrong, that's what happened. This was supposed to be a straightforward ambush. The Whiteveilians were exactly where they were supposed to be, right on time. But they knew we were here."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin presses her questioning. "And why exactly are you fighting against Whiteveil? What dispute causes you to resort to killing? Is Whiteveil making war on your people?"

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't know. All that I know is that the High Lords of Angrove declared war, and so I was sent."

You believe he is being honest.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

ooc - Angrove is the devil-controlled area right? There is still a human kingdom there?

"So, did any of them get away? Or were you successful in slaying them all even though they knew of your ambush?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

(You know there are devils in Angrove, but not much else)

"Our luck wasn't nearly that good. We ended up getting worse than they did." You notice that some of your companions are guarding the second soldier, who is in the same uniform as this one.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin trusts her companions to guard the other soldier. "Was this a recent declaration of war? I presume Angrove has officially notified Whiteveil of the declaration of war?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

The soldier shakes his head. "Do I look like a knight? All I know is, one day I'm minding my own business, walking down the street when I get grabbed by the knights, handed a sword and told to go kill the guys from the other city."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin does a quick scan of the two soliders for traces of evil. "And you'd just do it? Just like that? Well I suppose you may not have a choice, since you may suffer consequences if you do not follow orders. Alright, this one you should know. Are there travel restrictions for Angrove right now? If my companions and I wanted to visit, may we do so freely?"

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

You do not sense evil upon them.

"You need travel papers. Otherwise, you have to pass the city inspection to ensure you obey all laws and pay the tithe. Also, it is forbidden to carry weapons or armor unless you have taken the blood-oath of fealty."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin also asks the other solier about whether he or hse knows anything about the reason behind this war. Then, she asks, "Blood oath? That sounds serious. I guess you've taken it and that's why you *had* to obey the lords of Angrove once they ordered you to perform this ambush?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

The second soldier says, "This wasn't the first time. Angrove has already conquered other, smaller cities. Whiteveil is just the first to truly oppose us." When Mirabelle looks at him interrogatively, he adds, "I've been in the army a while.

As for the Oath, all strong men of Angrove are forced at sword point to take it. I think the High Lords learned it from the devils. It compels the taker under threat of pain and possibly death to obey the edicts and commands of the High Lords."
    Last edited by Maquise; 2012-09-29 at 09:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

"And...how do you feel about the oaths? If there's a way to get it removed but it involves you leaving Angrove, would you want to do it?"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

The soldiers glance briefly at each other. "Angrove is still my home. I'll fight for it regardless of who is in charge."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

"No one is talking about fighting Angrove, although it looks like you have *forced* Whiteveil into it. *sigh* Alright. We're almost done here. Just a couple more questions. Firstly, how have the conquered cities and their citizens fared? Are they treated as well as the citizens of Angrove if they aren't fighting back or causing trouble? Secondly, how might I obtain travel papers to avoid all the hassle? Would the fact that I've saved the lives of two Angrove soldiers help me get those papers? Thirdly, if I were to travel there, I cannot just abandon my weapons and armor. Is it legal to just have them in a sack, unworn?"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

"Those who don't oppose us are converted to slaves of the Obsidian Throne, same as the rest of us citizens. Those who are strong enough are made soldiers, those keen of mind acolytes of the Pentamic Circle, the rest laborers.

If you were to declare you had saved us at the gates of Angrove, I doubt you would get so much as a thank-you. And ownership of tools of war is completely forbidden, save oath of fealty as I said before."

He chuckles after a moment. "I've answered your questions, would you so kindly answer mine? Tell me, what would you do if you entered Angrove? Seek an audience with the High Lords, each one practiced diabolists, and their devil advisors? Or perhaps you'd seek to speak directly with the Harbinger of Flames, in his mighty black temple?"

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

"Currently I have no more interest in Angrove than looking around and seeing how things are there, but it appears that will be near impossible given the restrictions, so I likely will not be a visitor. You have painted me a clear enough picture for now, and have been very helpful. I have no more questions."

Not a visitor certainly. Perhaps a conqueror or a leader of a resistance movement looking to assassinate the high lords. Karrin must talk to the people of Whiteveil to get the bigger picture.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Making sure your companions have the soldiers secure, you step aside to speak with Mirabelle.

"It sounds like Angrove is closed to us for now. What's our next step? I'm assuming we're bringing them,"
    she indicates the soldiers, "with us."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

"We continue on the Whiteveil, and turn these soliders over to Whiteveil depending on how Whiteveil treats its prisoners of war. Then, see what local problems and disputes must be solved. I'm guessing if there are internal disputes, then any effort to fight Angrove will be weaker compared to a unified Whiteveil. Of course we'll also be talking to the leaders of Whiteveil hopefully and seeing what strategy they wish to pursue. The devils are so entrenched within Angrove that I'm not sure it is possible to install new leadership without basically razing Angrove to the ground first. The only thing that comes to mind if researching or finding a ritual that will break all of the blood oaths of fealty, and then simulatenously launching an attack. If there is an internal uprising within Angrove while Whiteveil also attacks, then there is a much better chance of saving many lives on both sides."

The paladin sighs and glances back quickly at the soldiers. "Now, do you think we should ask those soldiers to come with us before resorting to knocking them out, or just knock them out now to tie them up and take them with us? The former option is the more...Good...option, I think, but there is a risk of a fight. Granted, they are fairly weak, so the risk isn't too great. The latter option I don't *believe* is evil, but I don't feel quite as good about it since these soldiers are't really monsters themselves, and I've always been an advocate of using dialogue first and force later."
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-09-30 at 01:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

"We should be able to bring them with us without too much difficulty."

Mirabelle informs the soldiers. "Alright, turn over your weapons and we'll be on our ways. You're coming with us."

The soldiers begrudgingly submit. Lyanna secures them.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any equipment to be salvaged from the soliders and from the bodies? If so, after salaging, the group presses on the Whiteveil.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of the equipment you find is simply mundane, though some of it is of higher quality than other, particularly amongst the Whiteveilian gear. Kensin find some silver-tipped arrows, though, which he takes to combat devils with. You also find a well-stocked kit of healing herbs and such gear.

• Kensin finds 10 silver arrows
    • You find one Masterwork Healing Kit

Salvaging complete, you press on to the final leg of the journey. Not long later, you come across a river that runs blood red. Several bodies have washed up on its shore, their uniforms too damaged and stained to recognize. Following the river, you come up to the top of a bluff, and get a full view of Whiteveil's current state.

The city is tightly-built, and you can see it was designed with defense in mind; it looks more like a massive citadel than a population center. The walls are tall, and lined with various defensive war engines, such as catapults, ballistas, and large towers stand at regular intervals. You can see strange lights emitting from the tops of these towers.

There is one gate visible from your current location, though you see other gatehouse structures built onto the outer wall. The gate itself is made of a black wood reinforced with a dark metal, and shimmers with glowing runes.

Between yourself and the city, though, is a grey-cloaked army. While most of the figures are human, you see several easily-recognized forms of devils, along with other monsters such as armored war ogres, drakes, and gryphons.

"Well, it looks like the rest of the boys got here," one of your prisoners says.

"Its not as bad as it looks," Berich says. "This army is spread too thin. I'd say their commander bit off more than he can chew. Still is gonna be a bitch to get through, though there are some spots that could be pierced."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

"Can you identify which place would be the part to attack and break through?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Berich looks over the field. "I'll need to get a closer look to see for certain, but I think I can pick out a couple of spots. I'm not going alone, though."

"I can accompany you, if you wish," Kensin says.

Berich waits a moment before responding. "That will have to do, I guess."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

"Do it. Keep each other safe. I want intel, but I'll settle for you two returning safely."

When the two have gone, Karrin rubs her head and sighs. "Well, this isn't a tentacle monster at least, but I get the feeling if the devils capture us we'll end up being used for the same purposes. Nothing they love more than the corrupt virtuous women."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle readies her shield. "So there is no reason to back down. I'll be right beside you." Lyanna nods in agreement.

After a few hours, Kensin and Berich return. "We found a couple of spots we could try to break through," Berich says.

"On the far side of the city, there is a space where the bulk of the force is trained beasts, mainly war ogres and gryphons, though I think I might have spotted a drake. There are a couple of handlers, but no real soldier presence, and no diabolists.

At another place, most of the soldiers are conscripts, poorly trained and lacking conviction. They won't fight very hard, save for the officers put there to control them. Again, we didn't see any mages.

That leaves the weak spot closest to the main gate. There is a section maintained by a coven of dark mages, who summon and bind devils for them. If we can catch them off guard, we should be able to push through before they can call for help."