New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Invasion of Toril

"Force effect most likely, nothing any amount of physical damage is going to cut through..."

Noru holds his chin thoughtfully in a skeletal claw.

"An oddity certainly, do what you will with it. As for myself, I find my repertoire of spells lacking for what i anticipate we shall face. And, considering our considerable acquisitions, find myself in a position to change that."

He wanders out toward a more open area. Speaking loudly enough for everyone to hear.

"Unless anyone has any objections I shall be taking a portion of our plunder and teleporting to someplace civil now. If anyone wishes to come along, speak now."

2. - Top - End - #692
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, at least it maintains it vertical position normally. Now, the door should have fallen over flat, though."

Gale fires off a few blasts of acid at the door, just for fun.

"Where were you planning on going? I am doubtful that the Ash place would have any useful equipment for this issue. Perhaps we should save your spells for a later time, and just move on."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-10 at 11:34 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #693

ClericGuy

"Let's just move on."
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

4. - Top - End - #694

"Move on where, Miss Gale?"

He blinks and pauses as if to await a reply but then cuts in again.

"As it stands you are standing in the presence of a malign intelligence that speaks abyssal. It is my understanding that demons were among our enemies and that indestructible objects are not commonplace. I prefer not to speak my destination in front of it. Know that it is somewhere I understand to be intact where there is an active marketplace."

5. - Top - End - #695

GreenSorcererElf

"We know that there is a planar enclave here as well, so we might as well go and blow it up, and possibly learn a bit more about the invasion. There seems to be little point doing more with this door for now, but perhaps we can come back to it later. Essentially, expending resources to open it seems somewhat foolish while there is still an active group of enemies in the area."

Gale heads through the trap door, and into the exterior of the church.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #696

"Yes... Having just been nearly defeated by the lesser planar power in this city we should charge head on for the greater one. Less our ally who can banish planars on a whim..."

Norus voice is thick with sarcasm. It escalates to an angrier tone.

"And I'm certain blowing up their enclave will gather us all the information we need on the greater invasion. The entire reason we came here if i recall. Not..."

He kicks a dead formian.

"... crushing ants."

A raven appears on Norus left shoulder.
    Last edited by Tharione; 2012-10-10 at 11:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #697

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, blowing up the enclave was just a suggestion. We would want to have a look at it, and destroy any outlying groups before attacking. As far as crushing ants goes, they are also planars, so I fail to see an issue with killing them. I just wish I had killed them sooner. I may be a bit... reckless, but I am hardly an idiot. We also have no reason to believe that the planars were more powerful than the ants. Of course, they might be, but I guess we will find out."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #698

Krgg Springer

Heh you two gonna have it out right here? Should I mark out a duel-ring on the floor?
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

9. - Top - End - #699

"I value our resources far too much to waste them further, we have a difficult enough struggle ahead just fighting our foes. Adding each other to the list makes it no easier."

Noru sends the bird to the surface to make sure the coast is clear before heading up himself. If it appears to be so, he does.

"At least allow me the luxury of scouting the ruins of the city before we decide a course of action."

10. - Top - End - #700
    Firbolg in the Playground

Zaavariel speaks cooly, a scowl in his face as he looks at the door,"Use the spike, drop the ceiling. Bury that foul door."

11. - Top - End - #701

GreenSorcererElf

"Zaavariel, if we are going to bury the door, I can bring the ceiling down without the spike. I would really like to see where the door goes though. Noru, that seems entirely reasonable to me. Scout away"

Gale is looking a little happier now that they are doing something other than staring at their failure.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"The door reacted to Zaavariel's weapon... so we are possibly looking for similar one to open this door.
    Till then we could just leave this place like it is and start doing what we are supposed to do... getting rid of planars.
    ... After scouting of course."

Garrin adds with a slight nod to Noru.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

13. - Top - End - #703

Krgg

Krgg shakes his head in disbelief, muttering under his breath What's this world coming to...two elves that make sense...

He barks the command word to don his armor, rests his falchion on his shoulder, and follows down the trapdoor Bleerie went down to wait for Noru's scouting to be finished.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

14. - Top - End - #704

"If I am seen and followed it would be beneficial to have an ambush prepared. Preferably somewhere unimportant to us. It would certainly be refreshing to fight on our own terms for once."

15. - Top - End - #705

GreenSorcererElf

"Not much I can add to an ambush, but I can try to stay out of sight. This church is unimportant now, seeing as there is nothing here to protect anymore."

Gale flies up, and waits, stealthily, near the ceiling.

Spoiler
    Show

flying, so move silently should be irrelevant...
    move silently(1d20)[19]
    hide(1d20)[17]
    or just take 20, by taking the time to find an excellent, well concealed spot in the ceiling.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-11 at 02:39 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #706

Assuming its safe, Noru takes the time to summon a phantom steed make both himself and the creature invisible,and ride out along the rooftops. and sends the raven off scouting in the opposite direction. Both scout the outside of their half of the city before moving a bit more toward the center and doubling back. slowly sweeping toward the center.

Spoiler
    Show

phantom steed has 240' speed and can air walk for 1 round at will.
    raven has 40' speed and can fly. also has a 10 minute head start

something like this, but assumably better illustrated
    Last edited by Tharione; 2012-10-11 at 04:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Barbarian in the Playground

@Noru
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your raven flies outside, scouting the overhead area; this area seems to be some sort of temple district, as there are lots of other churches and chapels. The one that you are in is in decent shape compared to some of the others, which have collapsed.

However, there seems to be a church several blocks north, and several blocks west from this one that is in pristine shape, but there are no distinguishing features that would allow you to determine what deity it belongs to.

To the east is the merchant district that you had previously scouted earlier. Several blocks north-east from here there is a large castle on the corner of the city, which seems to be heavily populated by figures too far away to distinguish. To the south-west are the hills of Waterdeep. South of here are the docks.

There don’t seem to be any creatures around this church though.
    Intelligent doors FTW

18. - Top - End - #708

If thats all, Noru Returns aboard his silent steed after a time.

Mentally send the bird in for a closer look at the castle

"Well, for an occupied city there doesn't appear to be much traffic along the streets, either good or very bad news for us. There's a proper castle north east of the merchant district which is currently occupied. Uncertain as to by whom as of yet but If I were in control of this city I would certainly take its most fortified position."

he wipes a fleck of filth from his skeletal shoulder

"Theres also a strangely untouched church among the otherwise demolished temple section north of here which caught my eye, potentially worth investigating considering our patrons and our enemies."

He rifles through his bag for a polished white skull and holds onto it as he speaks.

"Finally i propose that the merchant district might be a worthy place to thoroughly investigate with the formian infestation eliminated. Rumor had it there were still artisans and such in the area if i recall, at the very least they might know something."

19. - Top - End - #709

GreenSorcererElf

At Noru's return, Gale flies down, and renews her spells, as well as casting detect magic.

"Well, if we go to this church, and then through the merchant district, before heading to the castle, we would cover all three areas. I can scan for magic as we go, so we might find something as well."

Spoiler
    Show

For now, Gale will be maintaining detect magic as we go.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #710

ClericGuy

"Why don't we discuss it over a fine dinner?" says Bleerie. "My patron god gives me the power to craft the finest of banquets."

Bleerie starts running about, speaking words of power. It doesn't take long before nice tables and soft chairs pop out of nowhere, and shortly thereafter over the tables appear some really tasty looking meals and exquisite beverages.

"This banquet will give us all the strength for the next battles. Feel free to eat at your leisure!"

After everyone is done eating, Bleerie announces that she is going to contact Bailey. She casts the spell, and then sends the following message: "Bleerie here, formian queen dead. Immediate surroundings apparently safe. One strange church intact. Will go there, then merchant district. Suggestions?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleerie just cast Heroes' Feast, and Sending.

For everyone: in the next 12 hours you get immunity to fear, poison, +1 morale to attack rolls, +1 morale to Will saves. Everyone is also cured of any nausea/diseases if he had any.

DM: Sending allows a 25 word answer without the need for Bailey to cast anything.
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-10-11 at 07:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #711

"I truly was starving, thank you."

22. - Top - End - #712

GreenSorcererElf

"I haven't eaten like this since I got my Ioun Stone. I had almost forgotten. Thank you. Still, we should get moving."

Gale heads out, and starts moving towards the strange church, staying about 20 feet up.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #713
    Firbolg in the Playground

Zaavariel samples the feast, apparently not interested in more than a taste, "Tis fine fare. I scarcely remember tasting anything it's equal. It's been night on two score years that I've eaten regularily.". After partaking briefly, Zaavaril makes sure that all his possessions are ready.

Spoiler
    Show

Eating just enough for the benefit.
    Also, assuming that we've divied up the items already?

24. - Top - End - #714

ClericGuy

"Get used to these meals, I intend to prepare them daily. Wow, this really tastes good!" Bleerie is very happy of her new spell.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Thanks for the meal."
    Garrin took the opportunity to taste a little of many different dishes, taking his mask only for a short time to eat the meal.
    After that he goes with others, trying to stay near the front line of the group.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

26. - Top - End - #716

Krgg

Finally someone is speaking Krgg's language! He noisily devours his share of the food Bleerie provides, and finishes off the scraps the elves leave behind.

He gives the table a generous spray of bits of the meal as he addresses Zaavariel, then Garrin, You know, it's bad manners to not clean your plate, Elf....and Elf

He chokes down a particularly large bite, Damn rude, that's what it is, no mistake!
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-10-12 at 06:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Don't complain... there is more for you this way..."

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

28. - Top - End - #718

@Noru
    Spoiler
    Show

As your raven gets closer to the castle a bolt of lightning heads strait for it, from the castle, at which point you lose your connection with the bird.

@Bleerie
    Spoiler
    Show

You hear back, "No."

Gale leaves the church of Pelor and heads towards the suspiciously undamaged church. It is over 100 feet tall, and nearly half as wide. There are 10 ft. tall double metal doors at the entrance of the church. There are also steps leading to the entrance, as it is elevated nearly a dozen feet above the rest of the buildings.
    Intelligent doors FTW

29. - Top - End - #719

GreenSorcererElf

Gale keeps silent, and eyes the church with her magic detecting eyes, trying to come up with a reason for it to be untouched.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #720

Gale doesn't detect any magic while studying the church.
    Intelligent doors FTW