New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Invasion of Toril

Noru turns to address his companions.

"My personal preference is for Waterdeep. Harsher climates require a degree of preparation."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, we could go to Waterdeep. I was there when the first attacks began, but, even so, it is hard to believe that it was destroyed. However, Waterdeep was powerful because it was in the middle of everything, which makes it a good place to start."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #63

ClericGuy

Bleerie smiles. Finally, she saw and heard lots of interesting things. Lots of useful information, I love it. First, it seems we are on the Material. This means I can probably teleport to Silverymoon or to some other location I know. Either this, or I will know these guys are lying. Second, I'm really happy of having this remote communication crystal. I will have it Identified as soon as possible, so I'll check if there are any tracking or scrying apparati in it. After these two checks, I'll be ok with trusting these people.

Bleerie smiles as her voice changes to a much more pleased and relaxed tone. "This is what I wanted to hear. I hear Waterdeep is in ruins - what are the seven cities left standing you mention? Other than that, I recommend we should go to Waterdeep. I am sure that is a place where we can find useful stuff, and probably get some big help and have some nice warm-up battles. Right, Krgg?", she says to the orc.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

The winged Raptoran says, “Very well, I am Thil Vain. I am the head of The Wings of The Ash. The Wings provides transportation to members of The Ash. I shall go prepare the ship for the journey to Waterdeep. I will return when the ship is ready, until then please talk amongst yourselves and relax while you have the chance.”

Thil leaves the building heading towards the harbor.

Vorel replies to Bleerie, “The 7 cities are the only remaining cities left standing in Toril, however there are still towns and villages scattered around the world. The largest city being Baldur’s Gate. The other remaining cities are Calimport, Maarlith, Cimbar, Lyrabar, Immilmar, and Suzail.”
    Intelligent doors FTW

5. - Top - End - #65

Krgg

The anxious orc turns his eye to Bleerie, as he tucks the red crystal into his belt pouch, Now here's one who speaks with some sense. I don't care where we go as long as we're moving towards removing those scum from Toril. You all may have the right of it in planning...very well, you make your plans and preperations, I shall make my own.

Krgg begins removing his armor, placing each piece with care on the table. When he finishes he removes a flask of oil and a whetstone from his pack and goes about lightly polishing and oiling his armor and honing his blade with his whetstone.

He polishes the armor in an almost angry manner, with furious but tedious movements, applying a very small film of oil to every inch, placing each piece in his pack when it's finished. As he draws his falchion, the black blade seems to drink in a small amount of light around him, and he sets to work on it with the whetstone. An almost supernatural calm overcomes him as he slides the stone lovingly up one side of the blade's edge and down the other.

His voice takes on a completely different tone as he speaks to nobody in particular, resembling a father teaching life's secrets to his oldest son. You have to be careful, you know. Too much attention to a blade with the stone will ruin it. Just enough, with a light touch, hones it into a fine edge. Pay particular attention to removing any rust spots if you were careless enough to not protect it from moisture. The One-eye will never lend his strength to a careless whelp.

After several minutes of this he lightly coats the blade in another light film of oil just as he had his armor, and sheathes it. His tone shifts back to the proud, gruff rumble it previously possessed. Not that Foebane requires any such care, ha! Gruumsh is a god of action; even a prayer to Him requires action if you mean for it to be heard. You have seen my soul, I'd like to see yours. He addresses the last to anyone who remained close enough to watch and hear his ritual.
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-09-05 at 03:09 PM.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

6. - Top - End - #66

Upon being told to wait Noru retrieves a battered tome from his bag and seats himself on the floor. He then sets down the white skull across from himself about a foot away, cracks the tome and begins to read.

He pays little attention to the actions of Krgg or the others until krggs last statement. After which he replies,
    "My soul is a blank page hardly written upon. And my devotion, while absolute, remains only to the bearer of its ownership. As my debt was rendered to its original scribes I now am under the employment of the one, at least as far as I am aware, who paid that debt."

He turns a page having not looked away from the book.

"Although my employment generally comes with more precise instructions. With any luck I will correctly interpret my employers desires and fulfill them to satisfaction."

7. - Top - End - #67

GreenSorcererElf

"You know, I dislike waiting. Never anything to do. Is there any reason that those cities in particular were spared, or was it just a successful defense?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #68

ClericGuy

Bleerie sits on the ground, leaning against a wall, and keeps talking to the orc. "Heh. Your worship of your weapon reminds me of one of my officers. What a crazy, good fellow, that one. You know, I haven't even wielded a weapon in my life, ever. I'm just bad at handling weapons. How did you get that splendid falchion? Crafted it yourself?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Gazing around at his companions, Zipxap lets out a light chuckle as he kicks his feet up on the table and leans back.

Well I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to chat on the ride there, however all this excitement's making me a bit sleepy.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

ClericGuy

"Right. Oh... Excuse me, but I believe I'm late for the Binding."

Bleerie, without moving from her relaxing posture, grabs her bag and brings out a lot of parchment, and a pen to write. She closes her eyes for a few seconds and then reopens them. She starts writing strange symbols on the parchment, while moving her lips incessantly in a silent speech. Her bright green eyes are often fixed on the parchment; but when they move and look at everyone else, they show the state of semi-unconsciousness typical of a trance. It makes Bleerie's face that much scarier.

Spoiler
    Show
    My character won't answer any questions until she's done, but it should be about a DC 15 Knowledge (religion) check to know this is a ritual prayer to Oghma.

11. - Top - End - #71

Krgg

The orc addresses Bleerie without looking up from his weapon,
    Everyone should have a basic understanding of weapons, and carry at least a dagger on them. I've seen a lot of situations where there's just no other way to solve your problems than with steel.

You like Foebane, do you? I like her myself. I don't worship her, but I do admire her...I liberated this weapon from a nest of Yuan-ti, with the help of a troupe I used to adventure with in some ruins below the Chultan jungles. Fine blade, she is, fine indeed. If you feel the need to take up practicing the blade, little one, be sure Foebane isn't your first mistress.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

12. - Top - End - #72

Thil opens the doors to the hall and shouts, "The boat is ready if you are."

You are led to a medium sized ship, which has three others already on it. A short goblin says to the party as you board the ship, "Ay, welcome to my humble ship, Cecil." As soon as the party boards the ship it takes off and leaves the harbor.

The ship soon approaches what seems like a white wall that it is on a course to crash into. The goblin says, "No worries maties, tis just the barrier, we'll go right through it." The boat then passes safely through the barrier.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Please roll spot checks and initiative.

And pick your general location on the ship.
    Spoiler
    Show

(ignore the stairs that lead down, just using the deck)

Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-09-06 at 08:08 AM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

13. - Top - End - #73

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20)[3] init(1d20+5)[23] note that Gale has fell flight and dark one's luck active. She will be on the top deck. And Blind

"Thank you for the transportation."
    Soon after the ship leaves, Gale seems to almost turn green, and she heads for the rail to be sea-sick. In between bouts of sea sickness, she manages to squeeze out a few words
    "I always wondered what sailing would be like. And now I know. Hopefully I will get over this quickly."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-09-06 at 08:52 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #74

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[13] initiative, (1d20+5)[9] spot
    Noru stands near the edge of the ship grasping the rigging, with vincent in a lifeboat nearby.

"I know you can't swim Vincent, but unlike you I have arms and legs..."

Noru pauses and looks to the skull.

"Stay there and pout then, I shall be enjoying the panorama."

He returns to gazing at the sea.

15. - Top - End - #75

Krgg the Sailor Man

Krgg grabs up his pack with his armor still inside, belts his falchion to his waist, and follows Thil to the ship. Upon boarding the vessel he follows Gale to the railing, and seeing her in obvious distress says, Green's a good color on you! We'll make an orc warrior of you yet!

He then moves to the prow and takes up a position where he can clearly see what lies before them. He'd been aboard a ship like this a time or two in his younger days, but that didn't mean he particularly liked it.

As the ship pulled out to the open sea he let the salt spray wash over his face and breathed in the briney air, reminiscing to himself about adventures past, and his last trip by sea. Ironically enough, it was a trip to Waterdeep that time as well...

He muses to himself aloud, At least there's no halfling this time...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20-2)[4] and Initiative - (1d20+2)[22]
    Krgg is on the top deck on the right side of the picture, and is also out of his armor at this point, for AC purposes
    EDIT: Spot went about as expected but MAN the force is strong with this one....danger sense activate!
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-09-06 at 01:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+6)[25]
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[21]

Bleerie sits on the ship, leaning against the main mast and facing forward.

17. - Top - End - #77

@Bleerie & Zipxap
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice a figure flying overhead, surrounded with lights. All of a sudden it begins to dive towards the ship and the lights follow it. You ready your weapons and components as if you are preparing to fight.

For passing the spot check:
    Spoiler
    Show

Take two actions, one after the enemies attacked (due to passed spot check and ready for combat), then another after that (start of normal round).

You hear the sound of a trumpet, it pierces your ears, however you are strong enough to withstand it’s effects. The crew on the other hand are not so lucky, as the 3 goblins on board fall to the floor from the sound. The winged figure playing the trumpet thumps onto the front deck of the ship, standing right in front of Krgg and facing the rest of the people on board.

The flying figure begins to speak, “I can’t believe it, there was a barrier hiding something here the entire time! It seems to protect something from planars and that’s why I have never noticed it. If you came out from here then you must be an enemy. Unfortunately for you all, we must kill you then.”

You now notice that there are three lanterns floating about 30 ft. above the deck of the ship, and they begin to get brighter and larger just as they shoot beams at the party. The winged figure then swings its trumpet at Krgg. As the trumpet hits Krgg it transforms into a greatsword and strikes him a heavy blow.

The lantern floating above the back deck of the ship shoots at Gale but instead hits the collapsed goblin next to her. The lantern floating above the life boat then shoots at Noru, but it also misses. The last lantern then fire at Bleerie and also misses.

Spoiler
    Show

For Reference: The green glowing things are the lanterns. The black and white figures with hats are the collapsed goblins. The figure next to Krgg is the winged planar that attacked him.

The front is the left side of the ship.

First Round (Surprise round):
    Krgg takes 14 points of damage

Everyone may take their actions now, no particular order is required just once per round.

Battle layout:
    Spoiler
    Show

Intelligent doors FTW

18. - Top - End - #78

Krgg

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls for granted maneuvers, going straight down the list on my sheet: (1d6)[5] (1d5)[5] (1d4)[1] (1d3)[3]

The orc seems to shrug off the blow entirely, though a red line can be seen forming where the greatsword struck him. Krgg briefly considers calling to his armor, but the nearness of the deep waters and the prospect of finally getting to hit something convinces him to hold off. He draws his falchion and spits the harshest verbal riposte he can muster as he holds the black blade up in the sky and brings it down in a black-light arc of raw power and steel.

No, YOU DIE!

Spoiler
    Show
    I did not think this out very well, I should have done maneuvers granted rolls in OOC I guess? Since I can't add rolls to an edit, I'll put attack and etc in the OOC thread for this action.

Also Krgg is initiating Divine Surge with his attack, and is in the Martial Spirit stance.
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-09-06 at 04:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, being attacked by Solars is new. At least they have bad aim."

Gale acts quickly, and throws a blast of energy at the nearest lantern, before flying out over the deck, where she would have a clear view of the fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack(ranged touch)(1d20+8)[17] damage(7d6)[34]
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-09-06 at 04:38 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #80

ClericGuy

Bleerie shouts "Attack! Attack!" She jumps on her feet with an unexpected nimbleness. Quickly, she scans the battlefield. This looked just like the perfect warm-up match. Excellent... the trumpet is clearly the leader. "Krgg! I want the face of Wingy over there to be split in several little pieces, and quickly!"

Bleerie moves near him while speaking words of power. She speaks, and the orc and kobold feel power and rage fill them completely.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise round: move action to stand up.
    Move action: move up to Krgg's deck. If the lantern threatens any square, it is entitled to an AoO.
    Standard action: assuming I am within 30 feet of Krgg, cast Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

Krgg & Zipxap
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you are not immune to mind-affecting, you get one more attack on full attacks (doesn't stack with Haste), +3 morale to attack rolls, +3 morale to damage rolls. Duration: 10 rounds
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-09-06 at 04:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+20)[33] know the planes on the trumpet
    (1d20+20)[30] know the planes on lanterns

Casts greater invisibility and moves to an unobtrusive spot 5' from adjacent with the nearest lantern.

Noru vanishes from sight after some arcane gestures and words.

22. - Top - End - #82

Spoiler
    Show

Since Dram hasn't posted in 24 hours, from the round that required picking your position on the boat. I am moving onto the next round.

@Noru
    Spoiler
    Show

For your knowledge planes on the archons, not sure what exactly you are looking for. But you know that archons are always lawful good extraplanars that destroy anything they deem evil. And that they are lantern archons, and the other is a trumpet archon.

The lantern that Gale shot with her eldritch blast falls into the boat after being hit. The remaining two floating lanterns begin to move towards the front of the ship. Then get brighter and larger as they shoot at Krgg hitting him with rays of light. The winged archon then begins to cast defensively. And casts a spell on itself. It then begins to fly into the air, floating around 20 ft. above the top deck of the ship.

Spoiler
    Show

Krgg gets an attack of opportunity on the winged archon. Krgg also takes 6 damage from the rays of light hitting him.

The winged archon is actually 20 ft. above his location in the air, the lanterns are 30 ft. above their positions in the air.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-09-07 at 10:21 AM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

23. - Top - End - #83

ClericGuy

The gnome laughs loudly at the archon. "Hah! One hit and it runs, it runs! Maybe you should go a little softer with these, Krgg, it's not even fun at this rate... Go get 'im, boy!"

Bleerie speaks a couple words again, before touching the orc with her hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action: cast Fly on Krgg.

Krgg
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have a fly speed of 60 ft (good maneuverability).
    Duration: 10 minutes

24. - Top - End - #84

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the enemies cluster together Gale smiles.

"And now you get to pay the price for attacking us"

Gale extends her hand, and a beam that almost looks like a purple lightning bolt extends out, arching between the enemies clustered on the deck. She them moves to a position above the three archons, clearly intending to block any retreat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maximized eldritch chain, targeting the trumpet archon first, then bouncing to the other lantern archons. attacks(1d20+8)[22] (1d20+8)[24] (1d20+8)[10] damage: 42 21 10
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-09-07 at 10:38 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Zipxap

Upon the enemies landing, the kobold lets out a gale like force from his mouth in an attempt to impede the attackers.

Spoiler
    Show

30ft cone of slow, 2 rounds DC23 fort reduces it to 1 round.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler
    Show

Moves closer to being under the archons and casts a silent image of himself Next to the trumpet archon missing wildly with a dagger. In a manner so the illusion does not contact the archon

Noru appears in the air near the trumpet archon. and misses wildly with a dagger.

27. - Top - End - #87

Krgg

Shrugging off the beams of light, Krgg takes full advantage of the winged creature's lapse in defenses as it flies away, dragging his fearsome blade across its thighs. The orc shouts to his companions It cannot escape with such dangerous information, smash the invader!

When Bleerie touches him, Krgg's eye takes on a cruel sheen, he flies straight up under the winged foe and brings Foebane to bear in a vicious uppercut from below.
    You aren't getting away. Greasy stains tell no tales.
    As the blade strikes true, Krgg feels his connection to Gruumsh pulse with the joy of battering his fleeing foe. Vigor and energy flow through his body, which begins to mend itself at a startling rate. In a moment, his wounds vanish.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO - (1d20+24)[34] AoO crit confirm - (1d20+24)[25] AoO Slashing Damage - (2d4+17)[22] AoO critical damage - (2d4+17)[20] AoO vicious damage - (2d6)[8] AoO vicious damage to me - (1d6)[4] and if it hits, he heals 2 actual HP damage.

For his turn Krgg moves up 15ft (half his speed unarmored) as a move action and initiates Revitalizing Strike, supercharged by Smite. *Note: Please add 1 point to both attack and damage due to Furious Counterstrike going up
    Attack - (1d20+25)[38] Crit confirm - (1d20+25)[37] Slashing damage - (2d4+27)[31] Critical damage - (2d4+27)[29] Vicious damage - (2d6)[6] Vicious damage to me - (1d6)[1] and Krgg heals himself for Revitalizing Strike - (3d6+10)[18] +2 actual HP damage (topping off actual HP, so the last 4 points are healed from the delayed damage pool)
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-09-07 at 12:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Krgg hits the trumpet archon as it flies away. He then flies up to it and hits it again before healing himself.

As Gale shoots at the trumpet archon it is a clean hit and bounces to the lantern archon next to it, but then misses the other lantern. The lantern that was hit drops to the ground.

Zipxap shouts out at the archons, slowing their movements.

The last lantern shoots two rays of light at Bleerie, the first hitting hard, the second missing.

The trumpet archon they shouts out some unrecognizable words. Krgg, Bleerie, Noru and Zipxap feel something begin to affect them as they becomes blinded, and can no longer hear anything.

Spoiler
    Show

Bleerie takes 12 points of damage.

Krgg is deafened for 1 round and blinded for 6 rounds.

Bleerie is deafened for 1 round and blinded for 4 rounds.

Zipxap is deafened for 3 rounds and blinded for 6 rounds.

Noru is deafened for 2 rounds and blinded for 2 rounds.

While blinded and deafened you have no awareness of things around you, other than by memory. While blinded AND deafened you can attack and move, but may trip over things or attack an ally if you are near one if you fail the miss chance and the target’s AC. After you are no longer deafened I’ll roll listen checks for you so that you can try to get a sense of where things are.

Intelligent doors FTW

29. - Top - End - #89

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the Words that the trumpet archon cry disabled most of her group, Gale responds with two blasts.

Spoiler
    Show
    quickened maximized eldritch chain at the trumpet archon, followed by a maximized eldritch chain also at the trumpet archon. 42 21 damage in both cases. attack(touch)(1d20+8)[17] chain(1d20+8)[10] second attack(1d20+8)[27] chain(1d20+8)[9] Apparently Gale sucks with chaining things.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-09-07 at 12:48 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #90

invisible:
    Just like old times, Blind and deaf.
    Noru abandons concentrating on the figment and attempts to cast shield