New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail II: Second Generation Thread Slayers

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    As opposed to not an entire arc later when Erza powered up and won with the same thing?

Also hasn't Laxus been long implied to have been held back primarily because of his bad attitude. Correct that and I'd call it fair he can fight a guy like Jura.
    I really don't remember much about Fairy Tail, but what I do remember is that Erza wins all the time anyway, so it's less of a thing when she does it, and it's reached the point where it's beyond just skill and breached into possible Mary Sue territory. Doesn't help that in her pretend death scene she was ANGRY AT HER FRIENDS FOR CRYING FOR HER.

Yha, that is a point. Laxus vs Jura will probably be a good fight.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I really don't remember much about Fairy Tail, but what I do remember is that Erza wins all the time anyway, so it's less of a thing when she does it, and it's reached the point where it's beyond just skill and breached into possible Mary Sue territory. Doesn't help that in her pretend death scene she was ANGRY AT HER FRIENDS FOR CRYING FOR HER.

Yha, that is a point. Laxus vs Jura will probably be a good fight.
    Just pointing out the general seems to be that frienship is magic. My apologies, I couldn't resist.

And I kinda get a double-KO feeling from this fight. Maybe someone can run some numbers to see what kinda point breakdown Fairy Tail needs to win by like one point.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Just pointing out the general seems to be that frienship is magic. My apologies, I couldn't resist.

And I kinda get a double-KO feeling from this fight. Maybe someone can run some numbers to see what kinda point breakdown Fairy Tail needs to win by like one point.
    There's power via friendship and then there's "skill is useless"
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    And then there's Ezra...

I wouldn't count her out yet of course the most ironic thing that could happen now is if either Lamia Scale's wounded leader or Milliana uses said sword and repays Sabertooth for their generosity!

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, though i feel i have allready ranted enough on that subject

I wouldn't count her out yet of course the most ironic thing that could happen now is if either Lamia Scale's wounded leader or Milliana uses said sword and repays Sabertooth for their generosity!
    Count her out? im kinda rooting for the ST leader at this point, in the hope of seing just a little bit of variation in the formula

Though i am wondering why the judges have not stepped in at this point, the kingdom in general does seem pretty civilised, and i would have though it against the rules to kill your opponent?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah, though i feel i have allready ranted enough on that subject
    Count her out? im kinda rooting for the ST leader at this point, in the hope of seing just a little bit of variation in the formula

Though i am wondering why the judges have not stepped in at this point, the kingdom in general does seem pretty civilised, and i would have though it against the rules to kill your opponent?
    I've been wondering about that and the previous tournaments since some of the comments made left me thinking Fairy Tail was being deliberately targetted so that if one member competes their particular speciality doesn't come up if they don't it does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minerva is due her comeuppance I just assumed it would be the light dragon slayer who does it since I suspect she lied to him to keep him in Sabertooth's ranks.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

I'll save on the quotes...

This IS Fairy Tail, you know? Odds for Erza losing are... low, and odds for Minerva winning are basically zero. Also, considering she wants to kill Erza which makes me, too, wonder what the judges and rules have to say on that.
    Laxus losing against Yura... I'm not sure. Yeah, Yura is likely to win on a logical level but this is Fairy Tail... Plotwise... what was there to gain if Laxus lost but put up a good fight? I feel he has to win, just because.
    And... yeah "skill is useless" (and magic is friendship... wait, no, the other way round) is a pretty bad thing to say but it has been FT's theme forever.

Zodiac, who were you talking about earlier, the fire failure guy from the very first arc? He was a complete let down and he was human... I don't see any reason to bring him back, even with his empty threats.

Also, apparently there's a feature lengths FT movie... haven't seen it yet but I probably will later today. I'm curious.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Zodiac, who were you talking about earlier, the fire failure guy from the very first arc? He was a complete let down and he was human... I don't see any reason to bring him back, even with his empty threats.

Also, apparently there's a feature lengths FT movie... haven't seen it yet but I probably will later today. I'm curious.
    Naw, I'm talking about the wind mage, from the first Dark Guild that they talked about.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Naw, I'm talking about the wind mage, from the first Dark Guild that they talked about.
    They recycled him in the last filler arc.
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

And... yeah "skill is useless" (and magic is friendship... wait, no, the other way round) is a pretty bad thing to say but it has been FT's theme forever.
    And a bit of a broader scope worried less about ideological purity would include the concept of dramatic hyperbole and less literal interpretation. Less reading what is said and more reading what is said.

Ergo the series is not actually disregarding skill, but that if you have sufficient strength to compare at all, the strength from friendship is greater then that from skill alone. You still need skill of course but what wins a battle or lets you triumph over a superior opponent isn't just skill, its pure spirit and grit from the bonds you make with your companions.

11. - Top - End - #491

They recycled him in the last filler arc.
    I have a hard time accepting the anime filler as canon. The only series I accept filler as canon is in cases where it's specificly pointed out as canon, or in the case of Naruto Shippuden, which uses it's filler to simply expand apon things we didn't explore in full detail.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I have a hard time accepting the anime filler as canon. The only series I accept filler as canon is in cases where it's specificly pointed out as canon, or in the case of Naruto Shippuden, which uses it's filler to simply expand apon things we didn't explore in full detail.
    But since Oracion Seis and Brain haven't turned up since in the manga wouldn't that mean they might turn up in the near future along with an explanation for what Zeref has been doing all this time?

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, filler serves best if it's just something to expand the main story... in most cases. Rarely it works otherwise as well. But if you like to or not, if he was ine the filler they'll probably not bring him back so soon in the manga either.

So, the movie... it was... okay..ish, I guess? It wasn't absolutely horrible, started out okay enough but the end just got pretty weird and... yeah. What you can expect from most Shounen tie-in movies...
    AThe time frame was pretty weird... apparently it was post time skip but they were in the old guild house... And I don't think Lisanna was anywhere to b seen. (Then again, maybe the director was just a furious Natsu/Lucy shipper) It got... some fanservice and a few jokes but overall it was more meh than anything else.
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #494
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Interested about the Laxus VS Jura fight, though..

Wasn't this supposed to be a fight between mages? Not much sign of actual magic yet
    Last edited by CWater; 2013-02-25 at 09:35 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

15. - Top - End - #495

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Interested about the Laxus VS Jura fight, though..

Wasn't this supposed to be a fight between mages? Not much sign of actual magic yet
    Well that's been a thing in Fairy Tail since the begining. Look at Natsu. He's ripped!

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

I'm having trouble thinking of a fight that would actually qualify as serious magic duel and isn't really a more typical shonen brawl personally.

17. - Top - End - #497

I'm having trouble thinking of a fight that would actually qualify as serious magic duel and isn't really a more typical shonen brawl personally.
    I'd read Magi, then. It's magic, the type cast by actually mages atleast, isn't really that shonen brawl esque.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

I'd read Magi, then. It's magic, the type cast by actually mages atleast, isn't really that shonen brawl esque.
    I'm working through it as that as it happens but was referring to Fairy Tail actually.

I can also always watch Nanoha again, though its not immune to brawling either at least its pretty clear that up close in personal is not somehow inherently better then Full Power Maximum Destruction!

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter, Laxus vs Jura!

Spoiler
    Show

And no surprise about who wins. Well... it's Fairy Tail.

Also, Erza gets up and starts fighting back, Gray and Juvia are down but going to be back and... yeah, that's about it. The FIrst holds some big speech about how great the new generation is.

Otherwise not much to say... I guess the fairies will beat their respective enemies and then the last remaining enemy, Sting will show up and... knock them all down. I guess Laxus took more damage than he seems to, he was fighting Jura after all.

It's a bit... weird how the first Master and the first Hokage are present in their respective series in some kind of un-death state right now.
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Hm...
    Spoiler
    Show
    It kinda looks like something cat shaped was sitting on Millianna's back. Wonder if that might be Lecter.

21. - Top - End - #501

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Hm...
    Spoiler
    Show
    It kinda looks like something cat shaped was sitting on Millianna's back. Wonder if that might be Lecter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    100% chance it's Lecter.

Well...that was a crappy ass chapter. What did Laxus even do? I forget what the first Origin armor is but no surprise that Erza is going to win. I just hope Gray and Juvia actually go somewhere. I actually kinda like Juvia and want her to end up with Gray.

So, yha, standard Fairy Tail chapter. I'm still running with the "The fortold event that will make the princess activate Eclipse is Fairy Tail winning"

22. - Top - End - #502

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    100% chance it's Lecter.

Well...that was a crappy ass chapter. What did Laxus even do? I forget what the first Origin armor is but no surprise that Erza is going to win.
    Yeah.. The Laxus vs Jura fight ended far too easily... And Erza...sigh. I really like her character, I do, but would it really be so bad if she'd lose here? She could get her revenge at some later occation, couldn't she? When she's fighting with full strenght and not, you know, as already beaten up like now.
    I just hope Gray and Juvia actually go somewhere. I actually kinda like Juvia and want her to end up with Gray.
    Yeah, I hope that too. I think they could make a cute couple
    Though remember this is shonen manga...better not get one's hopes up

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes I agree at this stage I'd rather have Milliana be responsible for defeating Minerva if only it would seriously humiliate the Sabertooth hussie!

So what is that on her back it can't be Lector since he's dead unless Minerva is pulling something to get Sting involved?

Sorry figured I take no chances!

24. - Top - End - #504

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes I agree at this stage I'd rather have Milliana be responsible for defeating Minerva if only it would seriously humiliate the Sabertooth hussie!

So what is that on her back it can't be Lector since he's dead unless Minerva is pulling something to get Sting involved?

Sorry figured I take no chances!
    Her magic is spatial magic. Much like how she had Minerva in a pocket dimension, she likely just teleported Lector into a pocket dimension as well, making it look like he's dead.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Banned

Yeah...I really need Fairy Tail...and more specifically Erza to actually lose a fight before I become interested in this manga again. I get the whole "friendship" thing....but there is literally no tension or drama in the entire manga anymore.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

They just don't stop winning. It's so annoying! I'm no longer rooting for Fairy Tail and I want them to die. Not all of them, but some serious losses.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

I just want them to lose at least a couple of maches, so the tension returns
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #508
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    We all know that 'determination' and 'friendship' in Fairy Tail makes the opponent forget about any defensive magic they know. Thus, the mighty Jura with his plethora of defensive magic shown during the Oracion Seis chapters needs to conveniently forget that he could create a wall of earth AND twist it around to bend something as fast as a laser (a full seven years ago, too!) just so that Laxus could go up, punch him, and make him auto-fail his Fortitude save.

I'm rooting for Erza to lose, as well. Still, we know it won't happen because of the powers of love and friendship.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2013-03-03 at 04:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #509

Griffon

I'm really disappointed in the lack of any tension and such in Fairy Tail too at the moment. And it is even more sad because in all (or at least most) of the previous arcs, even though the heroe obviously won in the end, I always truly felt like rooting for them. I used to think this was one of Fairy Tails stronger points... To make you really wish for the heroes to win.

But now...it is just so...boring...

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Her magic is spatial magic. Much like how she had Minerva in a pocket dimension, she likely just teleported Lector into a pocket dimension as well, making it look like he's dead.
    Oh, I forgot commenting on that. Yeah, it obviously looks like a cat head, and since she had Milliana and Lector in her pocket dimension at some point, it would be possible she just had to bring/brought them out both together... or something. Or Milliana's behind is just shaped very weirdly.

btw, the last anime episode had a nice, yet short scene with Erza telling Gray "he should know how Juvia feels about him" (well, if not, something is seriously wrong with Gray) "and he needs to decide what to do about it". So either Gray dies or something is going to happen (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    They just don't stop winning. It's so annoying! I'm no longer rooting for Fairy Tail and I want them to die. Not all of them, but some serious losses.
    Hm... while, yes, the constant winning streak is pretty bland... I can't say it bothers me that much. It's the tone of the show, and I've gotten used to it. Other Shonen aren't doing it that different. Okay, OP has had their losses at times, sometimes major, sometimes minor, and Naruto just has a higher death count, but other popular Shonen go on without great losses.
    I'm not saying it would hurt FT to make some changes but I know what to expect and I just don't read it to be tensed.. In nine out of ten... nah, ninty-nine out of a hundred stories the good guys win in the end. You can try to hide it but in the end we know it's true and that's what we expect.
    "What's done is done."