New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Fairy Tail II: Second Generation Thread Slayers

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so, turns out eating the heart theory was wrong. Natsu is still eating Atlas Flame in some way, though. Which...lets be perfectly honest, is still GOD DAMN DARK, GUYS.

...and then Atlas Flame is like "This...this nomming on my head, it feels like Igneel" and then Atlas Flame was a good guy.

.......look, I'm not one to hate on Fairy Tail unless something stupid actually happens. But this...this is awful no matter which way you cut it. Atlas Flame just went "your eating me reminds me of Igneel". What kind of relationship do you have if BEING EATEN reminds you of your old friend?

weeeeeeeell, punching people into being friends is Naruto's signature ability, and Luffy punched The Krakken into being his pet, maybe eating someone is how Nastu activates his shonen power of friendship?

2. - Top - End - #872
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    weeeeeeeell, punching people into being friends is Naruto's signature ability, and Luffy punched The Krakken into being his pet, maybe eating someone is how Nastu activates his shonen power of friendship?
    It should be noted that Naruto's only really "punched someone into being his friend" in the first part, and even then it stopped working after Gaara. Luffy didn't actually punch the Kraken to be his friend, he just punched it in self defense and later on asked it to be his friend.

Pendantry aside, you bring up a hilarious thought. Natsu giving little nibbles to all his friends. It's cute in a freaky sort of way.

3. - Top - End - #873

New chapter, chapter title lovingly provided by Kubo this time. God this is a stupid chapter title.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, Mother Glare is an Adamantine dragon, so her minion spawns are made out of Adamantine. Good to know.

Natsu can infact eat Atlas Flame's flames, and that's alright. It's also pretty damn clear none of the dragons are actually under Roguesting's command and they're only helping him since it gives them what they want.

Ultear is evil, as always. I do like how they theorize that they can kill Rogue without creating a time paradox though. "Since time is already so messed up, it won't matter that the event technically can't happen, since time had just thrown up it's hands and left the instant time travel happened."

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

So, with the handy diagram provided, I was exactly right about the time streams and where Lucy and Rogue came from.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New chapter, chapter title lovingly provided by Kubo this time. God this is a stupid chapter title.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, Mother Glare is an Adamantine dragon, so her minion spawns are made out of Adamantine. Good to know.

Natsu can infact eat Atlas Flame's flames, and that's alright. It's also pretty damn clear none of the dragons are actually under Roguesting's command and they're only helping him since it gives them what they want.

Ultear is evil, as always. I do like how they theorize that they can kill Rogue without creating a time paradox though. "Since time is already so messed up, it won't matter that the event technically can't happen, since time had just thrown up it's hands and left the instant time travel happened."
    Ultear is acting for an extremely good cause.

It's the old 'kill Hitler' time travel argument.

Is it a good thing to go back in time and kill Hitler as a baby, if that would prevent the Holocaust? Even if you are killing a child that TECHNICALLY, hasn't done anything wrong YET?

On a more personal level, what if somebody rapes and murders your wife/mother (whichever, just pick one), and the only way to stop it is go back in time and kill them?

You can argue that she may be misguided, but 'evil' is most definitely not true.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #876

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Silly Ultear, don't you realize in what kind of story you're in ? That sort of reasoning only leads to being punched in the face. And a friendship speech. You should save yourself the pain, really.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

7. - Top - End - #877

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    So, with the handy diagram provided, I was exactly right about the time streams and where Lucy and Rogue came from.
    Ultear is acting for an extremely good cause.

It's the old 'kill Hitler' time travel argument.

Is it a good thing to go back in time and kill Hitler as a baby, if that would prevent the Holocaust? Even if you are killing a child that TECHNICALLY, hasn't done anything wrong YET?

On a more personal level, what if somebody rapes and murders your wife/mother (whichever, just pick one), and the only way to stop it is go back in time and kill them?

You can argue that she may be misguided, but 'evil' is most definitely not true.
    Yup, congrats on that by the way!

I personal agree with Ultear, but in the scope of the story we're supposed to think she's being evil and misguided. We can defeat Rogue without killing his past self because Natsu bit a dragon until they were friends.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Well now... That ***** diagram doesn't help at all! So, what was the original timeline? The one when [nobody] opened the gate and to realease the dragons which caused Lucy to go back trying to save the world? Or the one when Lucy closed the gate [which was opened by ???] in order to release the dragons and which was constructed because...?
    I guess the most sensible thing is there never was a gate to be opened (or at least closed) and Acnologia took over the world which might have led to Rogue going back in time to realease the dragons and then create the second time line when Lucy closes the gate which would then lead to the/a THIRD timeline (present?) when Rogue wants to stop Lucy. But Lucy closing the gate in what is labeled as timeline 2 makes no sense since there was no purpose in opening the gate in the first place.
    Am I the only one confused or is Fairy Tail getting more ridiculous than Doctor Who in their timey whimey time travel logic?

As for Ultear... it's pretty standard fare but at this point I really can't say her actions would be justified. There are a bunch of ways to make sure Rogue doesn't become Future!Rogue apart from stabbing him in the face. I'm pretty sure he won't become evil anyway and the whole timeline doesn't care. (Even if he was killed) But it's the same as with Hitler... in a somewhat reaslistic scneario killing is never the only option. Only ifwe accept it's his fate or whatever to destroy the world and fate is something real we might argue otherwise. But that's getting way off-topic.
    Long story short: Ultear is not really evil but ruthles to the point where it is not a good action anymore.

Least I forget, I'm not sure about how much control Rogue has over the dragons anymore... Like, at all. As much as Hiro wants him to?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #879

PaladinGuy

Well, putting aside the fact that the plan is doomed since we're in your typical shonen series, and cold pragmatism is usualy counter-productive in this kind of setting...

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but think the plan is somewhat flawed. Okay, let's take for granted the fact that killing present!Rogue would make future!Rogue vanish. It sounds suspiciously like Ultear saying "It works like that because I want it to work like that", but okay, she's the only Time Wizard here, I can get behind that.

But why would it fix anything concerning the dragons ? Rogue wasn't the one who opened the gate, if anything, one could argue he came back to "fix" the timeline Lucy messed with. Sure, he had an influence in the decision to open it this time around, but if we remove every time-traveller from the equation, then we have 10 000 dragons roaming free. Ultear seems to thin that the present dragons would just vanish with Rogue and... I don't see why she thinks that.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well now... That ***** diagram doesn't help at all! So, what was the original timeline? The one when [nobody] opened the gate and to realease the dragons which caused Lucy to go back trying to save the world? Or the one when Lucy closed the gate [which was opened by ???] in order to release the dragons and which was constructed because...?
    I guess the most sensible thing is there never was a gate to be opened (or at least closed) and Acnologia took over the world which might have led to Rogue going back in time to realease the dragons and then create the second time line when Lucy closes the gate which would then lead to the/a THIRD timeline (present?) when Rogue wants to stop Lucy. But Lucy closing the gate in what is labeled as timeline 2 makes no sense since there was no purpose in opening the gate in the first place.
    Am I the only one confused or is Fairy Tail getting more ridiculous than Doctor Who in their timey whimey time travel logic?

As for Ultear... it's pretty standard fare but at this point I really can't say her actions would be justified. There are a bunch of ways to make sure Rogue doesn't become Future!Rogue apart from stabbing him in the face. I'm pretty sure he won't become evil anyway and the whole timeline doesn't care. (Even if he was killed) But it's the same as with Hitler... in a somewhat reaslistic scneario killing is never the only option. Only ifwe accept it's his fate or whatever to destroy the world and fate is something real we might argue otherwise. But that's getting way off-topic.
    Long story short: Ultear is not really evil but ruthles to the point where it is not a good action anymore.

Least I forget, I'm not sure about how much control Rogue has over the dragons anymore... Like, at all. As much as Hiro wants him to?
    Incorrect. In this case it IS the only option, unless she planned to try and open Eclipse again to travel back in time.

She thinks that killing Rogue would retroactively change the timeline to before the dragons came out, and remove FutureRogue - if she kills Rogue now, he could never have come back in time to trick them to open the Gate.

Simply imprisoning him won't do it.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The viability of Ultear's plan completely hinges on whether or not you thought Minority Report was a good movie.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Incorrect. In this case it IS the only option, unless she planned to try and open Eclipse again to travel back in time.

She thinks that killing Rogue would retroactively change the timeline to before the dragons came out, and remove FutureRogue - if she kills Rogue now, he could never have come back in time to trick them to open the Gate.

Simply imprisoning him won't do it.
    How would imprisoning him not work if it kept him from becoming Future!Rogue? Or do your vest to stop him from turning evil. Or take away his magic powers. Or take away his evil shadow. Or whatever.

Why are all of them less valid than killing him? Killing might be the easiest but the evil way is often the easiest.
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #883

PaladinGuy

Well, I think the problem with those options (in Ultear's opinion) is that it doesn't bring an immediate solution. Killing present!Rogue would (allegedly) make future!Rogue disappear on the spot. Locking him up, serving him with constant friendship speech, ect... wouldn't accomplish that, since it probably would leave a small window allowing him to become like his future self (no matter how contrived the way can be).

Now, I still have trouble to see how that would end the rampaging dragons problem. Especially now that it seems that "dragon controlling magic" is probably the weakest form of mind-control I've ever seen.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

What if Ultear's attack is what sets Future Rogue on his destined path after all we're assuming that he is Future Rogue after killing Sting... what if he's actually Sting who claims to be Rogue?

Then there's the possibility Sting replaces Rogue as a result of this event?

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    Well, I think the problem with those options (in Ultear's opinion) is that it doesn't bring an immediate solution. Killing present!Rogue would (allegedly) make future!Rogue disappear on the spot. Locking him up, serving him with constant friendship speech, ect... wouldn't accomplish that, since it probably would leave a small window allowing him to become like his future self (no matter how contrived the way can be).

Now, I still have trouble to see how that would end the rampaging dragons problem. Especially now that it seems that "dragon controlling magic" is probably the weakest form of mind-control I've ever seen.
    The way I interpret it, this almost reads similar to a D&D Suggestion spell.

That is, you only obey if given orders consistent with your nature, and an order to do something contrary to your nature you not only can disobey, but can throw off the mind control entirely.

Rogue initially gave them a pretty generic order to basically, "Kill and destroy everything in sight". None of the dragons seemed particularly distraught at the idea they could rampage and kill every human they could find. I get the feeling the dragons had absolutely zero problem with that order, and didn't really TRY to struggle against it.

It wasn't until Atlas Flame realized that Natsu was Igneel's... 'son' I guess I'll go with? Anyway, it wasn't until he realized the connection to Igneel that he really bothered to throw off the mind control. The other dragons haven't seen a reason to bother ignoring Rogue yet.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

How would imprisoning him not work if it kept him from becoming Future!Rogue? Or do your vest to stop him from turning evil. Or take away his magic powers. Or take away his evil shadow. Or whatever.

Why are all of them less valid than killing him? Killing might be the easiest but the evil way is often the easiest.
    The great debate. To be blunt, FutureRogue will exist so long as there is any possibility that Rogue could ever escape (no matter how ridiculous or contrived it may be), go back in time, FutureRogue will still continue to exist.

Plus, your idea is just as morally reprehensible as killing him. You have a problem killing him, but you don't have a problem imprisoning him for the remainder of his natural life? Given that mages seem to live longer than normal humans, locking him up for 100+ years with no trial, no crime actually committed and no chance of ever leaving his confinement? That actually strikes me as WORSE than just killing him outright.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-05-31 at 03:33 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Well ordinarily killing a potential future time traveler is simply worthless.

The consequence of many worlds is that no actual time travel occurs just dimension jumping to different relative points. Ergo Future!Rogue is not Rogue.

A stable time loop you would simply fail, because or rather you already will have failed relative to you future-come-backer's past. Time is simply non-linear but remains consistent.

Apparently Urtear is declaring neither of these apply so anything resembling reason is taking an extend potty stop. I guess maybe her Arc of Time gives her some level of authority but I tend to apply that since reason is on the can then no "reason" can apply with the sort of certainty to justify cold pragmatism.

At any rate it seems the Doctor needs to smack a bitch.

18. - Top - End - #888

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post

The consequence of many worlds is that no actual time travel occurs just dimension jumping to different relative points. Ergo Future!Rogue is not Rogue.

A stable time loop you would simply fail, because or rather you already will have failed relative to you future-come-backer's past. Time is simply non-linear but remains consistent.

Apparently Urtear is declaring neither of these apply so anything resembling reason is taking an extend potty stop. I guess maybe her Arc of Time gives her some level of authority but I tend to apply that since reason is on the can then no "reason" can apply with the sort of certainty to justify cold pragmatism.

As I said, I think her theory is "killing Rogue here will kill Roguesting, but since time has stopped giving a crap due to time travel happening, the dragons will still be here."

As a time mage I trust her opinion, but only as much as that.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

Not true. There are MANY different media where killing or injuring your past self IMMEDIATELY updates the timeline.

See Looper for prime example. Past version dying instantly wipes the future version from existence. Also Back to the Future, where Marty's past actions threaten his current existence (though they had it as a delayed reaction, hinging on a specific event).

Although I admit there are many counter examples. The point is that this is not clear-cut either way.

With Ultear's Time magic, I'd be much more inclined to accept her opinion on it than anybody else's, and she believes that killing current Rogue will stop Future Rogue.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-05-31 at 04:23 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a hilarious thought, she kills Rouge, EvilRouge dies and suddenly there are 10 000 dragons running around because future Lucy already died as well.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Not true. There are MANY different media where killing or injuring your past self IMMEDIATELY updates the timeline.
    All of which make no sense.

Really its because time travel ceases to be "fun" when you stop and figure it out.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ettin in the Playground

All of which make no sense.

Really its because time travel ceases to be "fun" when you stop and figure it out.
    Most of them make perfect sense, they are internally consistent within their own worlds. This is not something that can be proven true or false - so as long as a story is internally consistent, they are free to make up whatever time travel rules they want.

The real question is simple:

Are there multiple timelines still in existence, and travel between them is possible, or when somebody goes back in time does it mean that the old timeline ceases to exist, and there is only ever one timeline?

If the former case, killing current Rogue will have no effect. If the multiple timelines still exist (Acnologia ruling, 10,000 dragons destroying, and current one), killing Rogue in this timeline will have no effect on the Rogue from a different timeline.

If the latter case, it means that killing Rogue will instantly remove his future self from existence.

Your mileage may vary on whether removing Rogue from existence would also retroactively remove the dragons and destruction they did to the town as well - but I doubt it, since the death of FutureLucy (who was NOT from Rogue's timeline, but was a serious factor in the world falling to Acnologia), seemed to have absolutely no change on FutureRogue.

Honestly I get the feeling we're about to get an answer next chapter. If Ultear attacks and leaves a scar on current Rogue and it suddenly appears on Future Rogue, we'll know that killing him will instantly kill his future self. Conversely, if she removes a finger or something prominent, and Future Rogue still has all ten fingers - we'll have a concrete answer that killing his current self will NOT affect his future self.

We are explicitly NOT in a stable time loop - where there is only one future that is unalterable. multiple different futures are possible, and have already happened. A stable time loop means everything you've done (including time travel) has already happened, and the future can never be changed. This is explicitly not true.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-05-31 at 05:32 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, your idea is just as morally reprehensible as killing him. You have a problem killing him, but you don't have a problem imprisoning him for the remainder of his natural life? Given that mages seem to live longer than normal humans, locking him up for 100+ years with no trial, no crime actually committed and no chance of ever leaving his confinement? That actually strikes me as WORSE than just killing him outright.
    Yeah, thanks a lot for ignoring my other suggestions because those might work better... also, prison doesn't always mean "**** American prison". It can merely mean putting him under surveillance so you can keep him from time travelling at some point in the future and he still lives in relative comfort. Sounds a lot better than death for no reason. (Of course, the matter of justification is still up to debate but it's STILL better than death without a trial, because, you know, you can kind of revoke your decision later)

Regarding time travel: I don't think I have ever come across any story where time travel did entirely make sense. Some media put more effort into it than others but the immense effect that one person usually will have on the world is most often ignored. Unless you travel only like five minutes.
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, thanks a lot for ignoring my other suggestions because those might work better... also, prison doesn't always mean "**** American prison". It can merely mean putting him under surveillance so you can keep him from time travelling at some point in the future and he still lives in relative comfort. Sounds a lot better than death for no reason. (Of course, the matter of justification is still up to debate but it's STILL better than death without a trial, because, you know, you can kind of revoke your decision later)

Regarding time travel: I don't think I have ever come across any story where time travel did entirely make sense. Some media put more effort into it than others but the immense effect that one person usually will have on the world is most often ignored. Unless you travel only like five minutes.

The point is the same. You are limiting the entire rest of his life based on a crime he hasn't actually committed. Simple surveillance isn't good enough - you honestly think Rogue is going to meekly accept being under lockdown the rest of his life? At an absolute minimum you have to dedicate 2 mages significantly more powerful than Rogue (which at this point, is NOT a lot of mages) to watch him 24/7 for the entire rest of his life. And that's the MINIMUM. Realistically you'd probably need 4-8 mages all more powerful than Rogue following his every move. Even then, one slip up and he'll get away - and Future Rogue is born. Which is exactly why simple imprisonment or surveillance isn't good enough to actually stop Future Rogue's existence. As long as there is even a slight chance that he can escape and time travel, Future Rogue will continue to exist.

Time travel doesn't have concrete rules - it's the same as magic, for all intents and purposes. As long as a story is internally consistent with it's own rules, then it makes plenty of sense.

I've already provided you with two examples that were totally internally consistent - Looper and Back to the Future were both completely consistent within their own worlds and their own time travel rules, you're just ignoring them.

I've actually seen very few time travel media where the time travel DIDN'T make sense - and most of the ones that didn't were comedies.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-05-31 at 07:35 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So we're overlooking Timecop where a future version comes to a sticky end when he comes into contact with his earlier version?

Personally I suspect Ultear got that idea when Future Lucy sacrificed herself to save her earlier version...

Personally why didn't she just use her reforming crystal ball to knock RogueSting off the back of that dragon so Sabretooth and co can share their feelings on the matter and let the Dragonslayers focus on the dragons?

Its not as if Sting would have time to wonder who that villain is whilst we can have Minerva demonstrate just how nasty she really is as well as revealing what happened to her future self?

Attacking Sting rather than his supposed Future version serves little purpose after all the reason he went bad was because of Achnologia or whatever he's called so Lucy stopped the 10,000 dragons, we're left with at least a couple who are potential allies at least with Natsu and potentially better odds against the true enemy...

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

First off, sorry, I think my last post might have been phrased a bit more aggressively than intended. I was a little stressed out. But still:

The point is the same. You are limiting the entire rest of his life based on a crime he hasn't actually committed. [...]
    First off... still ignoring the other (somewhat plausible) options a few posts ago. I'm not saying imprisonment is the best option, there are much better ways to stop him from becoming evil but it's still better than killing him with no trial or anything.
    Second: Imprisoning opposed to killing still leave the option open to release him once there was made sure Future Rogue can't exist or whatever.
    Third: No, you don't need half a dozen high level mages. Earthland has anti-magic cells which hold high level spell casters guarded by normal people. Worst case lock him in some guild where there are most probably a bunch of powerful mages around all the time. Make him a Dragonslayer in Fairy Tail's attic for example (Okay, I'm not really serious on that but still: Anti-magic cells)
    Fourth: Even if he excapes there's no guarantee he will turn evil in this timeline. We have no idea what does turn him evil (though, unjust imprisonment probably won't help with that) but saying "Even then, one slip up and he'll get away - and Future Rogue is born." is a pretty baseless claim in my opinion. Unless you are a steadfast believer in destiny..

I've already provided you with two examples that were totally internally consistent - Looper and Back to the Future were both completely consistent within their own worlds and their own time travel rules, you're just ignoring them.
    I haven't seen Looper so I can't comment on that one. And I didn't say they aren't consistent within their own rules (well, some are, some don't) but from a logical point of view BttF's rules don't make sense (and from what I recall aren't states that clearly but from what I can remember I guess we can get a general idea). Either you break up your parents, or you don.'t. Either you do exist, or you don't. Time won't "slowly catch up with you" and alter your photograph/make you vanish in a few days. It might be consistent within thier own loosely defined rules but it doesn't make sense (to me).
    "What's done is done."

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

First off, sorry, I think my last post might have been phrased a bit more aggressively than intended. I was a little stressed out. But still:

First off... still ignoring the other (somewhat plausible) options a few posts ago. I'm not saying imprisonment is the best option, there are much better ways to stop him from becoming evil but it's still better than killing him with no trial or anything.
    Second: Imprisoning opposed to killing still leave the option open to release him once there was made sure Future Rogue can't exist or whatever.
    Third: No, you don't need half a dozen high level mages. Earthland has anti-magic cells which hold high level spell casters guarded by normal people. Worst case lock him in some guild where there are most probably a bunch of powerful mages around all the time. Make him a Dragonslayer in Fairy Tail's attic for example (Okay, I'm not really serious on that but still: Anti-magic cells)
    Fourth: Even if he excapes there's no guarantee he will turn evil in this timeline. We have no idea what does turn him evil (though, unjust imprisonment probably won't help with that) but saying "Even then, one slip up and he'll get away - and Future Rogue is born." is a pretty baseless claim in my opinion. Unless you are a steadfast believer in destiny..

I haven't seen Looper so I can't comment on that one. And I didn't say they aren't consistent within their own rules (well, some are, some don't) but from a logical point of view BttF's rules don't make sense (and from what I recall aren't states that clearly but from what I can remember I guess we can get a general idea). Either you break up your parents, or you don.'t. Either you do exist, or you don't. Time won't "slowly catch up with you" and alter your photograph/make you vanish in a few days. It might be consistent within thier own loosely defined rules but it doesn't make sense (to me).
    Time isn't slowly catching up with him, it is event-based. There is a specific event (the kiss at the dance) that is his last chance for existence. There were plenty of points before that where Marty could have fixed things and gotten his parents together fine. As long as there was a POSSIBILITY of him existing, he continued to exist. It was only at the critical last point where it was no longer going to be possible that he existed in the future, that he began to disappear.

And he changed a LOT of things - his family's entire personalities most obviously.

And it's the same with Rogue. Imprisoning him simply isn't good enough. As long as there is the slightest chance that he COULD escape and time travel - no matter how far-fetched, Future Rogue will continue to exist.

And you're starting to contradict yourself here. You specifically said you didn't have to put him in jail - then claim they can throw him in Earthland's anti-magic cells. Which is it? Are we going to throw him in a prison or not?
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-06-01 at 04:35 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

Time isn't slowly catching up with him, it is event-based. There is a specific event (the kiss at the dance) that is his last chance for existence. There were plenty of points before that where Marty could have fixed things and gotten his parents together fine. As long as there was a POSSIBILITY of him existing, he continued to exist. It was only at the critical last point where it was no longer going to be possible that he existed in the future, that he began to disappear.

And he changed a LOT of things - his family's entire personalities most obviously.
    It's been a while since I've last seen the movie(s) but weren't his sibling(s) slowly disappearing from the picture over the course of the movie?
    And while, yeah, their personalities did change it was in a pretty simplistic manner. Like, "dad's more confident now, so he's got a better job" but little taking into account this would affect much more things in their life, probably. But this isn't the "how realistic is BttF" thread and I think we can agree to disagree?

And it's the same with Rogue. Imprisoning him simply isn't good enough. As long as there is the slightest chance that he COULD escape and time travel - no matter how far-fetched, Future Rogue will continue to exist.
    Why?

And you're starting to contradict yourself here. You specifically said you didn't have to put him in jail - then claim they can throw him in Earthland's anti-magic cells. Which is it? Are we going to throw him in a prison or not?
    Possibly (re: me contradicting myself). My point is simply a) killing him is not the only/best option and b) we have no idea how FT's time travel laws would react to this even if Rogue was removed from the timeline. (Like: Future Rogue came from another Future timeline so he doesn't care about what happens to this Rogue, as with the almanach which Future Successful Biff probably never send to his past self and the timeline didn't care how he got the almanach.)
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

New chapter

Spoiler
    Show
    Well that was a fair bit of whiplash between the Rouge and sting scene then Juvias scene, made it pretty damn shocking really. Bit weird that she carnt turn into water to avoid the attack though

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    New chapter

Spoiler
    Show
    Well that was a fair bit of whiplash between the Rouge and sting scene then Juvias scene, made it pretty damn shocking really. Bit weird that she carnt turn into water to avoid the attack though
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, there's nothing really saying she can't but... WHAT THE ****? I'm not really sure but this look very much like... serious deadly wounds. Even with a headshot. So, no more Gray or ressurection by time travel or...?

Otherwise... Okay, Rogue and Sting were nice and it seems Ultear has the sense not to kill innocent people after all.
    "What's done is done."