New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail II: Second Generation Thread Slayers

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I got that bit about the more chapters (though, not the two weeks) but I can't quite see how this would change much about the quality of the plot. Admittedly, it gives Hiro more time to think about it but I feel this has very little impact on the quality... And I can't quite see how longer chapters would be an improvement, either.
    The general hope of turning it into a monthly is to give the mangaka more time to make it...less stupid. Like, if Fairy Tail had been a monthly, we would of had more pages, and Hiro'd have more time to draw, so we'd likely gotten to see more fighting between the dragons and dragon slayers. Because instead of being like what we got, a few smatterings of fight scenes but most of it brought down by exposition or time shinanigans, we could have more room for build up.

Look at it like this. This entire dragon fight took about a month of weekly chapters. it rushed by REALLY quickly. If this was a monthly we'd get atleast three or so chapters devoated to the fighting of the dragons.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

The other side of all this is that while the dragon fight is short... this has still been a pretty long arc. If no one is actually going to win and they need to shenanigan time well by definition showing the fights would be pretty close to filler because it literally isn't going anywhere.

Compare and contrast we have Bleach and Naruto with their what multiple year length conflicts. And One Piece did its war in 30 chapters with lots of half-fights we never saw the resolution too. I know personally I'm little tired of big shonen fights inside fights inside fights.

I think the real problem is it makes a giant red herring out of the playing up the 7=7 match-ups and Natsu's whole "our magic is for this day" thing. Also... wow that Ultear side trip is just ridiculously pointless now, she better still be alive.

I kinda suspect that this was interrupted behind the scenes by whatever this mult-chapter festival thing is going to be.

Which going by the titles on the last page.... hope everyone is expecting a few weeks of light comedic silliness. Seriously "The Great Dance Tournament" and we just wrapped a big arc anyone?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I have little idea what his editors/publishers are telling Hiro but I can't really see how he couldn't have made the fighting arc longer. As in, devote single chapters to the single battles. Though, Soras does have a point if the whole thing served the purpose of showing how powerless the DS are against actual dragons. Then showing each fight would have been stupid.
    (Also, I'm not sure how I feel about that bit with Ultear. It kind of seems like that's it which would mean, yes, it was pretty pointless.)

The argument with the loooong battles in shonen is... well, yeah, it is kind of overplayed (more like, massively overplayed) but if you have a multitude of important battles I don't see the problem with spending enough time with every single one of them instead of just glossing over them in a chapter. The latter feels like much mre of a waste of time.

Again, I don't quite see what Hiro could do in a monthly chapter which he couldn't if he took his time with the weekly ones. But maybe that's just me.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #964

Well, I have little idea what his editors/publishers are telling Hiro but I can't really see how he couldn't have made the fighting arc longer. As in, devote single chapters to the single battles. Though, Soras does have a point if the whole thing served the purpose of showing how powerless the DS are against actual dragons. Then showing each fight would have been stupid.
    (Also, I'm not sure how I feel about that bit with Ultear. It kind of seems like that's it which would mean, yes, it was pretty pointless.)

The argument with the loooong battles in shonen is... well, yeah, it is kind of overplayed (more like, massively overplayed) but if you have a multitude of important battles I don't see the problem with spending enough time with every single one of them instead of just glossing over them in a chapter. The latter feels like much mre of a waste of time.

Again, I don't quite see what Hiro could do in a monthly chapter which he couldn't if he took his time with the weekly ones. But maybe that's just me.
    I would contest that showing each dragon battle would allow us to clearly see how powerless the Dragon Slayers actually were. As it is, we didn't really see much of anything, so I can't actually say with confidence that they couldn't of took the dragons.

Basically, as it stands, we have to take the Dragon Slayer's word for it. If we got to see them fight their dragon, pulling out their greatest technique and getting completely roflstomped despite this, it would of shown it much better. Hell, didn't the poison slayer make his entrance by slamming down into one of the dragon's and knocking it out, atleast for a moment?

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

I think that this arc was to worf the dragon slayers a bit. I mean, they are strong, had some effect, but were having incredibly hard times with actual dragons...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

6. - Top - End - #966

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I think that this arc was to worf the dragon slayers a bit. I mean, they are strong, had some effect, but were having incredibly hard times with actual dragons...
    That's what we've been told anyway. We didn't really see much of their fights, and what we saw had the DRagon slayer's actually doing some damage. The poison guy beating up that one dragon, Natsu messing up Motherlode.

Sure, they aren't SLAIN, but we don't really have evidence they got messed up.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That's what we've been told anyway. We didn't really see much of their fights, and what we saw had the DRagon slayer's actually doing some damage. The poison guy beating up that one dragon, Natsu messing up Motherlode.

Sure, they aren't SLAIN, but we don't really have evidence they got messed up.
    then egain, we don't know the extent of the messing up the DS did to the dragons, what damage they did. Natsu vs Atlas would have been gratned to Natsu, but the rest? Poor matchups to say the least reducing chances significantly...

other then that, yes hit were dished out, on both sides, and it seems that the DS are weaker in taking hits then the dragons are. I stills tand by my point that this was a textbook worf
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

other then that, yes hit were dished out, on both sides, and it seems that the DS are weaker in taking hits then the dragons are. I stills tand by my point that this was a textbook worf
    What was a Worf?

Was anyone seriously thinking that a regular DS should have been able to beat an normal adult dragon in a 1 vs 1
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    What was a Worf?

Was anyone seriously thinking that a regular DS should have been able to beat an normal adult dragon in a 1 vs 1
    a worf is a TvTropes definition, warning, pusue at your own risk! links are love

as for the second part, we all thought it, but it might just be harder (considerably even) then we thought, on the other hand, every one was fatigued with fighting the tournament/dungeons, so at the very least the jury is still out there...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    as for the second part, we all thought it, but it might just be harder (considerably even) then we thought[...]
    Gee, way to speak for other people, Socratov

Anyway, it's time for the Fairy Tail T-t-t-t-tripple feature! With comedy, stupidity and new drama!
    Spoiler
    Show

So, Rogue is called Logue now? I must have missed that.

The bit with Kagura was kind of entertaining even though I have to assume she meant something like "Erza is more beautiful than me" and the translators went too literal on the "nee-san"? Anyway, even Kagura can't resist [Erza's breasts).

Quite a bit of cute comedy in 338, even though Gray being so harsh on Juvia was... weird. And Natsu... Well, it was certainly not what I exppected he was up to.

339 was... stupid. So... okay, Doranbolt messing with everyone's memory I guess kind of makes sense but... urgh, Ultear is not dead? But, of course, she decides not to tell her friends, because obviously they are much better of thinking she is dead and Gray recognizes her even though she is like... 100 years old after using the spell? Gosh... And he realizes what happened back then. Though I can't say for sure how far fetched that really is... Pretty far but... It kind of makes sense...
    Oh, and Cobra tells nobody what he knows even though it could help save the world, maybe.

And finally the end of 340... Okay, I'll give them credit because it made me think of Doctor Who. But otherwise... so the formerly actually good but only supposed to be evil mage who controls life and death has given up on humanity and Mavis actually thinks her guild can stop someone who pretty much kills with a look? And of course they will win but it is so, so, so stupid.
    Sis anything else happen? Oh yeah, there suddenly is a new guild house, I guess Ogre is homeless now.
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #971

So what we've learned is that Fairy Tail being a monthly series instead of a weekly will just give us more crap to yell at instead of improving the quality. Good to know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ultear not being dead is a travesty of writing. Rogue being Logue sometimes is because Mangapanda is translating and they're idiots. I wasn't aware Fairy Tail NEEDED a new guild hall, I thought they had already fixed it.

I want Mavis to be wrong. I want the series to end how the pre time skip arc ended. Everyone gathers together, believing in the power of friendship. And then they're interrupted mid speech by apocalypse lasers.

For reference I like Juvia 1.2 the best. I love that hat.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

a worf is a TvTropes definition, warning, pusue at your own risk! links are love
    I know what it means, i was just confused about what it might have been refering to, since the dragons turned out to be just as powerfull as one could expect after seing Acnologia beat up the entire guild of Fairy tail.

Else, excellent chapters
    The first one had me laughing all the way though, the second spend some more time on an a subject i feared might have been passed by to fast, and the last one is promising interesting things to come.

All in all these 3 chapters left me positively surprised, and revived my interest in the serie

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

All in all these 3 chapters left me positively surprised, and revived my interest in the serie
    Run, people, the apocalypse is here! Acnologia has come to destroy us all and there is nothing we can do!

But in all seriousness... khaine enjoyed an update I didn't like? (Not much, anyway) Well, maybe except for the first chapter, which was just comedy. But the more "serious" bits...

Also, for referencee: Juvia 1.1's hat is the best. If not very real life suitable.
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

You know if it wasn't for Gildartz haven fought Acnologia I would be wondering if he and Zeref are one and the same entity.

It appears Laxus's dad may have been unknowingly working for Zeref... although way things are going they might reveal he's behind the Dark Guild Core group ever since killing Hades...

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wonder if Natsu wants to be called king due to finding out his dad was king of the flame dragons.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

I know what it means, i was just confused about what it might have been refering to, since the dragons turned out to be just as powerfull as one could expect after seing Acnologia beat up the entire guild of Fairy tail.
    I believe it would apply since Worf is swatted around to demonstrate the opponents power. Whether its Q or some mere mortal, how much sense the act of it would be *technically* besides the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Wonder if Natsu wants to be called king due to finding out his dad was king of the flame dragons.
    That sort of insane troll logic.... yeah sounds right.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Run, people, the apocalypse is here! Acnologia has come to destroy us all and there is nothing we can do!

But in all seriousness... khaine enjoyed an update I didn't like? (Not much, anyway) Well, maybe except for the first chapter, which was just comedy. But the more "serious" bits...
    Well, i for once is ready to welcome our new Draconian overlord

Maybe it was because the first chapter made me laugh so badly that i saw everything else in a much more positive light, or maybe it was just because for once i didnt see any of the retardet stunts that had earlier made me foam at the mouth over the stupidity or inconsistensy.

I believe it would apply since Worf is swatted around to demonstrate the opponents power. Whether its Q or some mere mortal, how much sense the act of it would be *technically* besides the point.
    But noone was swatted around to demonstrate the dragons power ?
    We allready knew that dragons were insanely powerfull, if anything i think they were shown to be to strong, with their complete immunity to anything thats not DS magic (something i stil think is retardet)

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

But noone was swatted around to demonstrate the dragons power ?
    We allready knew that dragons were insanely powerfull, if anything i think they were shown to be to strong, with their complete immunity to anything thats not DS magic (something i stil think is retardet)
    All seven were completely ineffective to demonstrate how strong the dragons were.

Sometimes Worf gets knocked around... sometimes he just fires off the torpedoes and reports "No Effect" to Picard.

FT hasn't had the straightest example but the underlying principle that is the real trope not merely the ostensible details totally passes.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Titan in the Playground

All seven were completely ineffective to demonstrate how strong the dragons were.
    No, we allready knew dragons were that powerfull, they were ineffective because they were picking a fight with something a 100 times their own size, it was like a wolf picking a fight with an elephant.

FT hasn't had the straightest example but the underlying principle that is the real trope not merely the ostensible details totally passes.
    Completely disagrees on this one.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    In which FT accepts a side quest.

Also one of 4th Wizard Saint is introduced.
    And he's a laughing broccoli.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh and who are thee people on last page? That's Mavis, Broccoli, Hades and...?

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

"The morning of a new adventure" or... "Lots of naked girls in the bath house". I was wondering where the fanservice went... and kind of out of nowhere (well not entirely, but bad enough) former Miss Raven Tail is good now. But at least she doesn't want to join the team all of a sudden...
    Otherwise nothing big happening... oh, wait, Kana groping Lucy. For all that's worth. Anf Levy misses the only member who's flatter than herself

And a new adventure begins, for real. God, I better not start calling him Brocolli now, Cen... Walrot seems interesting and I like the bit about how the Saints aren't the most super powerful mages but are just chosen by the council for their general skill with magic (probably). He seems like a fun character...
    I do not like how they apparently have no idea who he is and how he was in Fairy Tail. Putting aside that everyone and their mother was in FT it seems, wouldn't Makarov have told them? Assuming he a least knew.
    The side quest sounds interesting enough, I guess. We'll have to see.

And my random guess for the fourth person in the picture would have been young Makarov... but only because I can't really think of anyone else. He looks an awful lot like Laxus... Or maybe Makarov's dad... what's the age difference between Makarov and Hades again?
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #982

Good job scanners, only two of the three chapters are out. Good job.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...wow, at this point the lack of nipples is actually detrimental to the art. Lucy looks so WRONG.

Like, no, seriously, I'm not dropping it. Breast nudity is something you CAN actually show in shounen. At this point Hiro should get into porn, or at least show nipples to make the art not look weird without them. Dear god.

...okay, the reference to Rave Master, that's kinda funny. I can get behind this.

...you weren't joking when you said he was a broccoli. Who taught a treant how to cast magic!

...Tree man used to be a buff dude and was part of the original founding members of Fairy Tail. Huh.

23. - Top - End - #983

Daemon

oh, there's a third one uploaded.

Spoiler
    Show

HUUUGE HUUUUGE HUUUUUGE small HUUUGE made me smile

There are people who aren't mages? Nice touch, but too bad that they'll be comic relief.

Minerva is now in a dark guild. Now that's interesting.
    Dun dun DUUUUN
    Last edited by Cen; 2013-07-11 at 10:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #984

So...
    Spoiler
    Show
    that stream of huge huge huge small was....I hate Fairy Tail.

Also, treasure hunter losers, and Succubus Eye. Oh good she's back. But she...won't win because we know Erza can beat her while nearly crippled, she's at full strength now.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, does ANYONE care that Sting killed the guild master of his guild? Like...he KILLED him, literally.

25. - Top - End - #985

Daemon

So...
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, does ANYONE care that Sting killed the guild master of his guild? Like...he KILLED him, literally.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think he's quite dead yet. In 338, page 14 Sting says "Master and Misses have gone into hiding. We'll have to star from a scratch. We'll have to rebuild Sabretooth"

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

...wow, at this point the lack of nipples is actually detrimental to the art. Lucy looks so WRONG.
    Maybe women in Earthland don't have nipples? Did you ever consider that?

that stream of huge huge huge small was....I hate Fairy Tail.
    Why hate? It was a stupid joke that didn't work for me either but hate...?

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    I don't think he's quite dead yet. In 338, page 14 Sting says "Master and Misses have gone into hiding. We'll have to star from a scratch. We'll have to rebuild Sabretooth"
    It would be rather weird since it did look an awful lot like he got killed and it sounded like he did... Then again maybe the laws on (attempted) murder in Fiore are rather lax... especially if you do it avenge a friend. Wouldn't be too far fetched.

Regarding the third chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show

So... the bit with the giant bean stalk that leads to a land of giants IS a reference to that children story, right? I'm not imagining this?

It kind of seemed to me like they have been frozen for much longer but now it seems it was only a recent event...?

If that thief treasure hunter says "super" one more time I'll tell Oda

Aaaaand Minerva is back. Well, maybe someone will kill the ***** now.
    "What's done is done."

27. - Top - End - #987

Maybe women in Earthland don't have nipples? Did you ever consider that?

Why hate? It was a stupid joke that didn't work for me either but hate...?

It would be rather weird since it did look an awful lot like he got killed and it sounded like he did... Then again maybe the laws on (attempted) murder in Fiore are rather lax... especially if you do it avenge a friend. Wouldn't be too far fetched.

Regarding the third chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show

So... the bit with the giant bean stalk that leads to a land of giants IS a reference to that children story, right? I'm not imagining this?

It kind of seemed to me like they have been frozen for much longer but now it seems it was only a recent event...?

If that thief treasure hunter says "super" one more time I'll tell Oda

Aaaaand Minerva is back. Well, maybe someone will kill the ***** now.
    That...would be COMPLETELY silly xP!

I mostly hate it for what it's become. Fairy Tail could be sooo amazing, but it's...it's not and that frustrates me X_X

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's sorta meant to be a reference to the bean stalk, maybe?

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

I mostly hate it for what it's become. Fairy Tail could be sooo amazing, but it's...it's not and that frustrates me X_X
    What something "could" be is generally not the best basis for letting yourself be frustrated.

Depending on what that you imagining that to be I'd probably question that "could" farther.

Not that FT is like "best. manga. ever." or anything but I'm not sure it has ever had that much potential to be more. OP or Negima or Magi it has never been, its just sort of generic shonen. I never read Ravemaster but my limited experience with the anime does not suggest Hiro's baseline has altered too drastically either.

29. - Top - End - #989

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    What something "could" be is generally not the best basis for letting yourself be frustrated.

Depending on what that you imagining that to be I'd probably question that "could" farther.

Not that FT is like "best. manga. ever." or anything but I'm not sure it has ever had that much potential to be more. OP or Negima or Magi it has never been, its just sort of generic shonen. I never read Ravemaster but my limited experience with the anime does not suggest Hiro's baseline has altered too drastically either.
    Rave Master was fantastic because, nine times out of ten, the bad guys were beaten with rather clever stuff.

Anyway, yha, I'm probably just frustrated in another way

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

Rave Master was fantastic because, nine times out of ten, the bad guys were beaten with rather clever stuff.
    Sounds interesting... Maybe I'll have to have a look.

Anyway, yha, I'm probably just frustrated in another way
    "What's done is done."