New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Never pop caverns unless you're prepared. I prefer to leave them open and line the hall with cage traps, though I believe most people just leave them locked.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-15 at 05:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    Microline.
    Or adamantine, if you already mined that one. We even have one in the dining hall now.

As for the river, I began reading up on all sort of ingenious way to drain it. Though yes, the easiest way is to just to construct floors all over the section of the river that runs through our section of our fort.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK, fort has survived a year. Total excitement? 1 artifact (a golden anvil *sigh*), a crapton of Gold, which I discovered can't really be used for much, and a kobold thief.

Also, my Drawbridge? Made of gold. Because I have too much gold. And there's still more unmined.

What do I even DO with gold?
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    OK, fort has survived a year. Total excitement? 1 artifact (a golden anvil *sigh*), a crapton of Gold, which I discovered can't really be used for much, and a kobold thief.

Also, my Drawbridge? Made of gold. Because I have too much gold. And there's still more unmined.

What do I even DO with gold?
    Trade for steel.
    Legendary dining rooms/quarters/study.
    Gold warhammers.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly you can't forge gold weaponry directly, though if you get lucky with an artifact warhammer or mace made with it, it'll be one of the best weapons you can find. I think only a platinum warhammer is better.

Gold makes for highly valuable furniture and trade goods, and should get you anything you want from the traders. Make a forge out of that golden anvil and put it in the entrance hall. Impress the visitors.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-15 at 09:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Sadly you can't forge gold weaponry directly, though if you get lucky with an artifact warhammer or mace made with it, it'll be one of the best weapons you can find. I think only a platinum warhammer is better.
    Snap. Forgot we can't make gold weaponry.

But yeah, with gold, you're filthy rich and will be able to buy entire caravans if you so wish.

7. - Top - End - #667

HalflingRogueGuy

Acctually I wouldn't mind being dorfed. Preferably as someone who has absolutly no useful skills (wood burner) but for some reason isn't in the army. I really don't mind. I'll probably volentier for a turn eventualy. (read: after finals)
    Crooked Peak Seasons IV-V: 11/8/4 Cup Semifinalist, Cup Quarterfinalist, Coach of the losing All-star team (Season V)
    Treeman's Triumph Seasons VI: 3/8/2 Loser in the Crud! Cup Match
    Legends of Jam Season VII: 6/3/2 Winner of the Longball Derby, Division B Champion, Cup Semifinalist

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. My new fortress has taken a silly turn. A giant Coati tried to steal my one bar of steel, and managed to bite off the hand of one of my soldiers when we went to "fetch" it back.

On the plus side, we get to eat Coati now. Whatever that is.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-16 at 01:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

An amusing thought occured to me. "Luazhn" the dorf is technically mobile, though crawling on his arms probably won't do wonders to his speed. He should be our lever dorf now.
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-01-16 at 01:29 AM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps we should start a second thread for general DF discussion and keep this one dedicated to the succession fort? You know, keep the noise/signal ratio decent?
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2013-01-16 at 02:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Or adamantine, if you already mined that one. We even have one in the dining hall now.

As for the river, I began reading up on all sort of ingenious way to drain it. Though yes, the easiest way is to just to construct floors all over the section of the river that runs through our section of our fort.
    One z-level down? Thats a hell of an adamantine vein. :P Armok REALLY loves you.
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #672

DwarfFighterGuy

I think I shall pass on this next turn on account of just having gotten my hands on A Memory of Light.

Holy crap it is good.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

*fingers crossed*
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2013-01-16 at 09:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

If anything, I support some discussion of other stuff here. Keeps the thread active and people engaged. The general discussion died of disinterest a while ago, and what little we've seen here isn't enough to warrant a new one IMO.

Just my say of course, anyone else have an opinion there?

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

If anything, I support some discussion of other stuff here. Keeps the thread active and people engaged. The general discussion died of disinterest a while ago, and what little we've seen here isn't enough to warrant a new one IMO.

Just my say of course, anyone else have an opinion there?
    I don't mind the random bit of banter here, so long everyone is aware of the original purpose of the thread.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I don't mind the random bit of banter here, so long everyone is aware of the original purpose of the thread.
    GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Random discussions seems to fit with Dwarves on Patrol in my mind
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ogre in the Playground

Wookie! Take the fort! Add another trophy to your fort-ear necklace!

I apologize for the disturbing image. However, remember that forts don't even have ears!
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-16 at 11:45 AM.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Dwarf in the Playground

I agree to keep discussion here. Keeps those involved invested and updated. Lead us to victory..or lava Wookie!
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Wookie! Take the fort! Add another trophy to your fort-ear necklace!

I apologize for the disturbing image. However, remember that forts don't even have ears!
    Much as I'd like to, I promise to not intentionally let the fort fall to add to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchAnarch View Post
    I agree to keep discussion here. Keeps those involved invested and updated. Lead us to victory..or lava Wookie!
    Funny you should mention lava, I've been intending to try out pumps and there are all these experiment specimens that just keep showing up to our fort....

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

My singleplayer fort has produced an artifact cedar bucket. Somehow this is even worse than a useless artifact.

It's also one of those artifacts that has an image of itself on it. So there's that.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-16 at 06:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

My singleplayer fort has produced an artifact cedar bucket. Somehow this is even worse than a useless artifact.
    Like hell. Use it to build a well in the dining room or whatever other meeting areas you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Random discussions seems to fit with Dwarves on Patrol in my mind
    The title is a reference to Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol, for anyone who didn't catch it.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2013-01-16 at 10:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh right. Forgot we built things with buckets.

It just seemed like a comically mundane item at the time.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of The Fortress Destroyer Gloriously Benevolant Dictator Overseer "Wookieetank"

Spoiler
    Show
    1st of Granite, 126: It seems that I have once again been "entrusted" with leading us to malicious death, erm glory and honor! It seems that with the start of a new year comes a new start for many of our brethern, We now have a captain of the guard, axedwarf, architect, bookkeeper, and a Recruit all without prompting. I approve of this sort of initiative, and if I knew which rooms these ambitious dwarfs were living in I'd be granting them extra decorations for their lairs.

3rd of Granite, 126: Due to lack of experience as a dwarven engineer, I decide to atempt my initial forrays into dwarven science by playing with water instead of magma, despite the Fun that magma promises.

8th of Granite, 126: Asmel Ducimmelbzuth has grown attached to a steel crossbow. I've seem some strange romances in my time, but this definite is one of the weirdest.

14th of Granite, 126: Now that my first pump is completed, I've assigned Random McUrist to start operating it. Here goes nothing.

21st of Granite, 126: Well this doesn't bode well, and I do quote the messenger, "The Forgotten Beast Zanor has come! A towering eyeless viper. It has a pair of long antennae and it has a bloated body. Its pumpkin scales are oval-shaped and close-set. Bewares its poisonous bite!" Ummm, yeah, this is gonna be interesting and not so much interesting Fun but more of interesting ways to die. So much for an asuspicious new year. After much panicing, and much med taking, and booze drinking, a closer look was taken, and it seems our new neighborhood friendly Forgotten beast is in the caves and not on the surface. So long as it can't break down walls, it is a negligible threat.

2nd of Slate, 126: In more serious news, our mayor Cerol imposed a ban on "certain exports". Why is someone other than me giving orders round here? This is my year! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE More importantly what exactly does certain exports mean? Confounded am I.

12 of Slate, 126: After having found that no dwarf was manning my new pumps, I randomly assigned a number of idlers to pump duty. The eastern valley is now very nicely on its way to flooded. My hopes for a magma flood grow stronger. After rifling through a previous overseer's journal, and lacking a better project to put our many idlers to, the river within the walls of our fort have now been ordered to be floored over.

28th of Slate, 126: Migrants arrive, but the masterwork of Catten Tunekast has somehow been lost. It seems our fort has been overcome by a great meloncholy as everyone seems to be moving at undead like pace. Apparently one of the Weaponsmiths has grown suspicious of the general lethergy that has overcome everyone and has decided to throw a tantrum.

2nd of Felsite, 126: Our angry Weaponsmith has calmed himself. It would've been a shame if we had been forced to feed him to our resident vampire (OOC I don't remember anyone actually finding the vampire)

4th of Felsite, 126: Kikrost Lariden was possessed today and driven to commandere a Jeweler's Workshop. Mayhaps Kikrost's creation can help shed some light upon the strange goings on around the fort.

8th of Felsite, 126: It seems our angry weaponsmith is acutally bipolar. He keeps going from raging tantrums to quietly sitting and watching the magma seas. If we had a mental hospital, it might do some good for this troubled dwarf.

11th of Felsite, 126: It seems our bipolar weaponsmith has now been overcome with a depression.

12th of Felsite, 126: Kikrost's mysterious construction has been completed, we now have a resin opal bracelet! and I do quote "This is a resin opal bracelet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. IT is encrusted with octagon cut resin opals, decorated with rope reed fiber and encircled with bands of cushion hematite cabochons, oval lignite cabochons and acacia. The object menaces with spikes of resin opal, acacia and copper. On the item is an image of Wookieetank Destroyer of Fortresses walking away from an explosion while not looking at it The Head of Trees the adamantine cage in acacia.

This fort is made of lag and the tears of my computer (which I only got last summer ). Updates may be a bit sporadic over the weekend with me having company over, but I should at least be getting some time to sluggishly move the fort along.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Journal of The Fortress Destroyer Gloriously Benevolant Dictator Overseer "Wookieetank"
    <snip>

This fort is made of lag and the tears of my computer (which I only got last summer ). Updates may be a bit sporadic over the weekend with me having company over, but I should at least be getting some time to sluggishly move the fort along.
    I recommend setting the population cap to 100 like I did. If any merchants come, start offloading all our xx<items>xx to them. It should reduce the lag. I been meaning to do so, but the seasonal siege kept the caravans away. If sieges still come aknocking, consider making use of the magma chutes.

Also, any sort of fluid movement (like pumping water) tends to lag Dwarf Fortress horribly.

Oh and for the vampire, he's the one in the one-man squad. Try not to let him out.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

His prison is eternal.

Also keep in mind that pumping water isn't necessarily the best thing for FPS.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-17 at 01:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

I managed to make it through a couple more months last night, just ran out of time to post it. Not a whole lot happened. The river was attempted to be redirected, the fort now has a pesudo-lakefront location now, and random acts of construction were built. A more detailed account to come this evening once I'm back home.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Wookieetank

Spoiler
    Show
    14th of Felsite, 126: A caravan of pointy eared heathens arrived today. It was hard, but I overcame my instinct to throw them into the magma sea.

15th of Felsite, 126: Part of the caverns have collapsed. It looks as though it was part of the upper quary.

17th of Felsite, 126: More collapsing, and it seems that its actually the floors over the river collapsing and not the quarry. Hmm.

19th of Felsite, 126: I swear to Armok, these will be blood. It seems that we once again have snactchers, which are suspeciously present at the same time as the elven caravan, same as last time I was overseer... If anyone goes missing vengence will be mine! ... ... ... And now an ambush ... ... ... Crazy pointy eared hippy... Whats that? Goblins you say? Damn, and here I was hoping for some fun. Regardless our military has been sent out to great them.

21st of Felsite, 126: Another snatcher, these evil doings might not be cased by the elves, but they sure do seem to follow them around.

23rd of Felsite, 126: A second ambush, will the wonders never cease? Apparently not, because shortly after the ambush, our third snatcher of the year appears. (Note to self: Tempting fate with unanswered questions, not such a hot idea.)

26th of Felsite, 126: A donkey has gone stark raving mad? Um, yeah... If you need my sanity, I think its over in the corner crying

27th of Felsite, 126: Dumat, Inod, Sakzul, and Udil have all been found dead. Cause unkown, but with the recent uptake in our local goblin population, I'll take my chances making a guess.

4th of Malachite, 126: Not much to report, but we almost have a lake now!

8th of Galena, 126: More of not much, sloth like movements from all, some dwarves taking up various professions, project lakeside property mostly complete. Project magama flood on hold due to slothiness.

15h of Galena, 126: Humans arrive in the caravan flavor.

19th of Galena, 126: One of our Beekeepers has been Possessed, by BEES! Runaway, runaway! It seems our beekeeper has taken it into their head to be crafty. A Forgotten towering hairy snail beast has made its presence known to us today. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it has a guant appearance. Its dark pink hair is long and wavy. BEWARE! its deadly blood! Thankfully its in a small unbreached cavern. Hurray for small miracles

23rd of Galena, 126: History of the Ambush: Part 1: Wherein Human merchants and wagons show up and find themselves attacked by broglins. I got some popcorn and watched from the roof.

25th of Galena, 126: Now a snatcher has arrived, or broken off from the ambush forces.

28th of Galena, 126: Another ambush, yay for monster flavored experience.

3rd of Limestone, 126: Our beekeeper has created a palm crown for us. I'd make use of it, but I'm allergic to pointy eared hippie-like objects.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice job. Those treacherous <insert non-dwarf species>!

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ettin in the Playground

Those four dead guys sound suspiciously like our militia squad members.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

My new fort's entrance is a bridge over lava. So far I've lost three people setting it up. My highest death-dealer.