New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Come to think of it, Dragons aren't immune. It must just be titans/forgotten beasts.

Well, it's an excellent acquisition. We need a dragon now. Please tell me it's at least in a metal cage?

2. - Top - End - #722
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Colossi are not trap immune. I've had a lot of fun trapping them in cages, putting them in pits, and having marksdwarves shoot them from above.

It won't kill them, which is part of the point. It makes for good practice
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, we could set him up in some out of the way corner of the map and use him to kill invaders, and just recapture him each time. Or did he only attack the trolls?

4. - Top - End - #724
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    You know, we could set him up in some out of the way corner of the map and use him to kill invaders, and just recapture him each time. Or did he only attack the trolls?
    Well, during the alternate reality timeline, he was more than happy to effortlessly crush two full broglin melee squads. There was a reason that I didn't think our military could take him and win.

As for arena of death? We have a cyclops prisoner as well. We all know that the bronze collossus is bigger, badder, tougher and meaner, but at least that is fighting in the same weight catagory. This is the other reason that I am very happy with having gotten like 30 adamantine ore with plenty left unmined. We should be able to kit out full ada plate squads with weapons to match. I am just working on training up smiths worthy of it. What happedn to our old High Master armoursmith who was around during my previous turn I don't know, but having him dead sucks for us now that we finally are having enough adamantine to matter.

Like I said during my various rants in the video, standardizing our military with non-junk-tier weapons and armour is my next project now that FLOODER is done and shown to work. It will probably be another thing for our next overseer to handle as it is late winter, but whatever. I am proud of my turn's accomplishments.

As for the gibbon? Yeah, he is my favorite unit on the entire map right now. I am going to assign him to be my personal pet. Because he is the monkey of awesome.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Addy breastplates seems to take 9 bars each, and each lump still seems to make one bar.

But yes, we need to build the Tomb of the Colossus outside somewhere with him caged. Activate lever when we are besieged and then just open a path to the cage traps.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-30 at 03:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Adamantine wafers are only 1/3 of a bar. It doesn't go as far as you would expect. Also, do not make hammers out of it.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Really, I'd probably say prioritize edged weaponry with the adamantine. Steel's probably perfectly adequate for armor. And I believe there's something about Addy being a bit rubbish against crushing attacks, though I could've misunderstood something there.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-30 at 05:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #728

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Really, I'd probably say prioritize edged weaponry with the adamantine. Steel's probably perfectly adequate for armor. And I believe there's something about Addy being a bit rubbish against crushing attacks, though I could've misunderstood something there.
    No, it is just that bludgeoning damage pretty much ignores ALL armour. That is why warhammers are so amazingly good. They don't slice and dice unarmoured foes quite like swords and axes do, but they are pretty much just as lethal against armour as against flesh, regardless of armour type. Scourges and whips do this too, because in in-game terms, they are an infinitely sharp needle travelling at 5x normal weapon speed aimed directly at a bone with the full mass of the metal whip/scourge behind the tip.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh. Scourge weapons. I hates them precious!

I was actually getting around to standardising the equipment for our melee squad. But I hadn't had nearly enough steel to kit out a squad fully. (Melting has been unbearably slow.)

10. - Top - End - #730

DwarfFighterGuy

Okay, save is http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7358

My turn finished without anything else of interest. I designated an area for an arena at hotkey f7, and some more areas to dig out adamantine, but mostly I just was killing time till spring. We have a weaponsmith in training and an armoursmith in training, both of whom are set to craft infinite of hteir respective items out of copper, and we have several hundred copper already.

The monkey is set to be a pet and trained as a WAR MONKEY. He is available for someone to claim him, but sadly, it doesn't seem as if he can be assigned to any particular dorf.

Other than that, I am done for the moment, and good luck to next overseer.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Please post within 24 hours for the next turn.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Dwarf in the Playground

You could set yourself as a one dorf squad and then assign the war monkey to the squad.

What is the "Alarm bells are ringing Willy..." button? I know it use to be O the Something..where is it now? Or is it just assigning everyone to a Burrow?
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #733

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchAnarch View Post
    You could set yourself as a one dorf squad and then assign the war monkey to the squad.

What is the "Alarm bells are ringing Willy..." button? I know it use to be O the Something..where is it now? Or is it just assigning everyone to a Burrow?

'm' to bring up military, 'a' to bring up alerts, arrow key to the right twice so you have 'civilian alert' selected, hit enter. Everyone goes inside. The burrow doesn't necessarily contain all of the deep mines and stuff though.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Dwarf in the Playground

But do you have to have a burrow set for that to work? If just turn on an alert without it, will they still flee indoors?

I remember seeing that..been a while since I've had to use it. On my current fort I am at 71 dwarves, no steel or iron, and starting to get thieves creeping around. I may be in a rough first siege. :(

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

But do you have to have a burrow set for that to work? If just turn on an alert without it, will they still flee indoors?
    They still need a burrow. It's basically just a shortcut to assign every dwarf to a burrow without necessarily overwriting your current burrow settings.

16. - Top - End - #736

DwarfFighterGuy

I remember seeing that..been a while since I've had to use it. On my current fort I am at 71 dwarves, no steel or iron, and starting to get thieves creeping around. I may be in a rough first siege. :(
    Cage traps en masse. Then, you can strip the prisoners of their clothing and weapons, and make an arena for your militia to practice on them. That way, your underequipt militia still get the practice that they need and all the XP that comes as a result of actual combat without the risk of an actual battle. Did you read my wall of text of a turn? We caught a bronze bloody collossus in one.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, if nobody is available for the fort in twelve hours, I'll be taking the turn. Anybody who's played already is still free to have another go.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-02-01 at 09:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #738

DwarfFighterGuy

Really, nobody else wants a turn?

Looks like it's you Lulzahn. I sincerily hope that this isn't signifying the interest-death of this fort.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

I would offer, but I think my turn wasn't too far back, and I would rather a much longer interval elapse before I retake the fort.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I would offer, since you have been encouraging new players to wreck attempt to survive the fort, but the few non-work computers I have access to have frame rate issues by the end of the first year (on the few times I manage not to flood things).
    The BareFoot Programmer

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, now that I've got a bit of time, I'll be playing this year.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Cage traps en masse. Then, you can strip the prisoners of their clothing and weapons, and make an arena for your militia to practice on them. That way, your underequipt militia still get the practice that they need and all the XP that comes as a result of actual combat without the risk of an actual battle. Did you read my wall of text of a turn? We caught a bronze bloody collossus in one.
    I've been playing DF since the inception of zlevels (forget which version). Marksdwarves, cage traps, and walls are already up. I'll be fine..just wierd that I haven't found any hard metals..only silver and gold. Sadly the caravans have not brought much in the way of armor. I do have an artifact yak bone hammer on a skilled hammerdwarf though. Huzzah!

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys all have my support and well wishes!

24. - Top - End - #744

DwarfFighterGuy

I've been playing DF since the inception of zlevels (forget which version). Marksdwarves, cage traps, and walls are already up. I'll be fine..just wierd that I haven't found any hard metals..only silver and gold. Sadly the caravans have not brought much in the way of armor. I do have an artifact yak bone hammer on a skilled hammerdwarf though. Huzzah!
    You seem to know your stuff, but in case you don't in this particular case, artifact weapons are no longer the auto-win that they used to be, especially if they are made of inferior materials such as yak bone. Sadly, that weapon isn't going to compare to a silver one.

Ever since the materials and combat revamps, material matters more than quality for weapon effectiveness.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

In fact, if I recall correctly, quality has no effect below masterwork.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ugh..your killing me luz. I did NOT read that part. well...time to start working on my drown rooms and redirecting the river then. I was kinda relying on the hammer brother team to the final stop gap of entrance to my fortress. But silver? Silver i have. The rest of my two hammer squads have nice shiny silver hammers already. The image of a dwarf playing golf with a yak bone maul was just so nice. This is why we can't have nice things.

27. - Top - End - #747

DwarfFighterGuy

Ugh..your killing me luz. I did NOT read that part. well...time to start working on my drown rooms and redirecting the river then. I was kinda relying on the hammer brother team to the final stop gap of entrance to my fortress. But silver? Silver i have. The rest of my two hammer squads have nice shiny silver hammers already. The image of a dwarf playing golf with a yak bone maul was just so nice. This is why we can't have nice things.
    You know what's even funnier? Thanks to said material properties updates, an adamantine warhammer is now about as dangerous as a pillow full of down. Artifact warhammers made of addy are usefull only to give to the hammerer to guarantee that he never beats anyone to death.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Which, of course, is useful for training hammerdwarves. Just have them keep beating a helpless enemy until they become Legendary.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

29. - Top - End - #749
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Adamantine Hammers...first world problems. :P

I typically keep any mined adamantine behind locked doors..I believe when a mood strikes they only pick from resources they have access to, if it is on their list.

My motherboard fritzed on me last weekend..so naturally I am frothing at the mouth for the one that as of 5:42am this morning is town to arrive. But first..8 dreaded hours of work. lol Then its on like donkey kong.

Wife is having me watch once upon a time with her on netflix...apparently dwarves are HATCHED on that show. I gave her a Da'Hell???

30. - Top - End - #750

DwarfFighterGuy

I can't believe I never thought of that before. What a hilarious and wonderful idea.

Of course, there would be the inevitable "skull kicked in" deaths and stuff, but that is brilliant. Although there is the drawback of using a lot of your limited supply of ada on what are essentially training weapons. Actually, now that I think of it, why not just assign wooden training weapons to dorfs and go about the "live" training the same way? Save yourself some adamantine that way.