New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Unfortunately, wooden training hammers aren't a thing.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I've been named Tyrant once again. This is good, the previous overseers have been doing silly things involving flooding our surroundings and building precariously-perched and heavy amounts of water on the roof.

Overseer's Log, 5th Granite 128

I've begun tapping another vein of adamantine. Our stonemasons are at the ready to seal in case of a daemonic incursion. I've lost too many forts to those things in my time.

7th Granite 128:

Last year's crazed minion dwarf has finished his masterwork. A single wooden earring. Somehow this seems less than useful. However, it is carved with an image of an artifact of a lost fortress, and that one goblin we killed a few years back. Which is good, I never liked that guy.

Work has begun on a dedicated adamantium manufactorum, and several worthless peons have been drafted to strand extraction duty.

Must make ready for an eventual conquest of hell.

Just a bit of play to show it's not dead; I've been busy this week. Hopefully I'll manage to finish up monday, the framerate's totally fine for me.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

My only regret in regards to the FLOODER is in having not made it sit atop a support made from a single bar of soap.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Dwarf in the Playground

next time man. Next time.

I think I'm going to start up a half-way house for migrants. I am so tired of vampires.

One room with beds and food stockpiles...and they are quarantined for a sufficient amount of time. May have to make a few of them..anyone know the feeding intervals for vampires?
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    7th Granite 128:

Lion Babies!

Also, why do we have a lake-river. Now it is constantly moving, and is distracting.

23rd Granite 128:

Somebody has ordered Bushmaster slaughtered. This is a terrible thing. I believe I will be executing the previous overseer for vampirism. Such is the power of the Tyrant.

However, he is delicious. You will be missed, Bushmaster.

In my mad bid for vengeance, I have noticed that we have many pending sentences due to a lack of a jail. While establishing one will unfortunately mean several jailings for production order failures, we'll need one to restrain and execute any vampires or murderers we run into.

25th Granite 128: A giant venomous spider has appeared in the caves. I believe we shall dump something on its head. Maybe a part of the ceiling.

Also, The miners appear to be sitting around the coliseum dehydrating to death. This is suboptimal. They have the ability to leave, but are apparently content to die. A pity.

Ah, they were assigned to the burrow without food or water. That'd do it.

26th Slate 128: It appears we have a naked, tantrum-ing not-a-vampire sealed off in the depths. Someone really should've informed me about another one of those.

In other news, I've begun carving myself a small manor in one of the caves, where I shall rule with an iron fist and survive our inevitable demise.

5th Slate 128: Tiger Cubs. Huzzah.
    Our Adamantine processing is also progressing nicely.

6. - Top - End - #756

DwarfFighterGuy

Yeah, the lake/moat was the best I could do with the horribly laggy, constantly draining off the map edge mess that Wookietank left me. I had about 6 FPS at the start of my turn because of it, and was sitting around 20 once I got it walled in and stabalized to reduce flow. It isn't perfect, but its the best I could do with the situation.

As for the miners, I swear that I mentioned them and their burrow at some point in the documentation of my turn. I realize I left a GIANT wall of text, but it was in there somewhere. I think. Edit: Turns out I didn't mention burrowing them. Whoops.

As for the vampire sealed in the depths? He is most definately a vampire, he has been down there for more than a year without any troubles. He is our resident bookkeeper and lever puller. Unless you are talking about someone else who got sealed in the depths somehow, in which case I have no idea what you are talking about.

Also, only open the caves if you want about TEN forgotton beasts to come party in our fort. I am not even kidding, I had at least four show up on my turn and we had a good number of them down there already.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2013-02-13 at 06:30 PM.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, no way I'm opening those without an arsenal of adamantine.

Right now I'm digging a little house in some rock. Once we clear the place I could add a yard or something.

If anyone's interested, I'm usually running 40-60 frames with temperature off. So it's hardly unplayable yet, at least for me. And I know the thing is a vampire, was in character a bit there; we never actually got any proof.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-02-13 at 06:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758

DwarfFighterGuy

If I remember right, he is implicated via justice screen in like 3 different murders with various degrees of evidence/provability.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Yeah, the lake/moat was the best I could do with the horribly laggy, constantly draining off the map edge mess that Wookietank left me.
    Sorry bout all that. At least it was for SCIENCE!

Also, only open the caves if you want about TEN forgotton beasts to come party in our fort. I am not even kidding, I had at least four show up on my turn and we had a good number of them down there already.
    You might almost be better off playing with the HFS than the caverns at this point. I had like 4 or 5 real nasty sounding guys show up during my last turn in the caves. Best of luck to whoever is suicidal brave enough to attempt claiming the cave system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

10. - Top - End - #760

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Sorry bout all that. At least it was for SCIENCE!
    !!SCIENCE!! is always an acceptable justificaiton for doing something that would otherwise be considered unwise, insane or dangerous. I mean, it generally is considered polite to clean up after yourself, but no harm no foul eh? At least you didn't leave a bunch of our legendary miners in a burrow to dig out a project without telling the followup overseer about it, did you?

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

!!SCIENCE!! is always an acceptable justificaiton for doing something that would otherwise be considered unwise, insane or dangerous. I mean, it generally is considered polite to clean up after yourself, but no harm no foul eh? At least you didn't leave a bunch of our legendary miners in a burrow to dig out a project without telling the followup overseer about it, did you?
    It's ok! They did survive, after all.

Although I did wind up cancelling the rest of the arena digging trying to fix it. The burrow didn't actually extend deep enough to let em dig all of it. I'll probably order them to finish it.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-02-14 at 02:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    It's ok! They did survive, after all.

Although I did wind up cancelling the rest of the arena digging trying to fix it. The burrow didn't actually extend deep enough to let em dig all of it. I'll probably order them to finish it.
    I did the burrow to try and prevent them from causing cave-ins due to channeling down and then having a roof dropped on their head from above. I planned to add to the burrow layer by layer. And then, cover the whole thing with rock chairs so that we could order all our dwarves into the auditoreum to witness the carnage as we set something free from a cage in the bottom layer and then proceeded to have our military mince it. Or have bronze collossus vs whatever. Or all our other prisoners do 1v1 deathmatches with the surviving "winner" of the tournament face the bronze collossus in single combat.

I didn't actually expect to finish the arena in the last month of my turn, but I got distracted by that silly siege.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    15th Felsite 128: Why is out legendary metalsmith labeled as a minion? I need to fix that.

Forging of adamantine weapons is underway. Won't be masterwork, sadly, but we need some.

16th Felsite 128: A kobold ambush?! Since when did those rats have the guts to do that? I'd praise them if they weren't about to die horribly.

17th Felsite 128: A legendary woodcutter has been shot and killed. His rescue team is now moving to engage the rabble. Could be foolish, but we needed to buy time for everyone to get inside/revenge.

Plus, they're Kobolds. Can't let any of them survive. Gives them ideas.
    Besides, the military needs practice, and to weed out the weak. Unfortunately the fools insist on jumping into the damned river we decided to build all over our entrance.

Overall we took one casualty, that unfortunate woodsdwarf. Our militia has proved adept at blocking arrows.

19th Felsite 128: The elves have arrived. Perhaps there will be more warcats.
    Or war-apes. Those are always good.

20th Felsite 128: Killin' more kobolds. La la la.

Damned elves have taken offense to one of our traded gems. Apparently it was decorated with wood.
    A shame, I wanted that gorilla.

6th Hematite 128: Some fool animal trainer has been training the captured goblin mounts.
    Don't people know that those things still try to much on you if they're let out?

Also my mansion is well underway. And I've learned that I'm apparently married to one “Kippy.”
    This comes as a surprise. I really should pay more attention to these things.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

Y'know. We also have FBs trapped in one of our abandoned rooms. Mayhaps we should reclaim it one of these days.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Y'know. We also have FBs trapped in one of our abandoned rooms. Mayhaps we should reclaim it one of these days.
    Next on the list, after the addy weapons are done.

I think we have some that are cut off from the caverns...

16. - Top - End - #766

DwarfFighterGuy

Luzhan, you alive?

17. - Top - End - #767
    Dwarf in the Playground

He is...our dwarves arnt. He can't bear to face us. :P

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchAnarch View Post
    He is...our dwarves arnt. He can't bear to face us. :P
    My dorf better have a good death!

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the fortress completely gone? If not dibs! (got a reputation to keep and all )
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    My dorf better have a good death!
    Grif has died of dysentery.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

If it's time to start another fort, a new world might be a good idea. I had a very hard time finding a decent site to start on. If we do so, might we consider one of the larger mods that are available on the Bay12 forum? Our main group of players pretty much has the base game down, and they expand the game nicely. I personally prefer Civilization Forge (not least because a minor component of it is my work), but that may be too much expansion.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

No no, the fort is fine, I've just been horribly busy lately. If anybody wants to pick up the current one where I've left off they're welcome to it, I was just trying to cover it when nobody else was available.

One problem may have been the framerate, correct? I know it was pretty slow for me, and other were having even a worse time. Just tell me what you'd all like to do.

But yeah, sorry about that. If people are going to want to continue this fort though I can knuckle down and finish this turn tonight, now that I've finally got a decent span of time.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-02-21 at 08:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still around and interested. I'd be happy to finish this fort

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

You can take the save if you'd like wookie; Tell me if you'd like me to upload my few months or if you'd just like to go from the current save. I don't think I'll be able to manage it right now.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Go ahead and upload what you have. Then I'll see how long I can last the fort after breaching exploring our forgotten beast zoo in the caverns. Should be a good show.

Edit: I'll go ahead and grab the last posted save this evening if you haven't gotten time to upload what you have Luzhan. That way we can keep things moving.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2013-02-26 at 01:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776

So I don't usually get very far in my games (terrible with combat) so I have decided to trap up the world, but ran into a minor problem. Do weapon traps not take more than one weapon of any type? I was planning on using my rock swords to fill them, but I can't seem to add more than one.
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sohala View Post
    So I don't usually get very far in my games (terrible with combat) so I have decided to trap up the world, but ran into a minor problem. Do weapon traps not take more than one weapon of any type? I was planning on using my rock swords to fill them, but I can't seem to add more than one.
    They take up to ten weapons per trap. You will need to hit ENTER repeatedly in order to select ten.

28. - Top - End - #778

Hmm...wonder why the trap is only saying I have one sword then...I have 67 atm.

[3.5] Mana Mage

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

There are 2 possibilities. Either you can't get there from here (it is impossible to path between 66 of your rock swords and your weapon traps) or the rock sword you have one of is a different material/is an artifact.

Also, rock swords are pretty bad.

30. - Top - End - #780

Those crazy dwarves...they were moving the blasted swords.

[3.5] Mana Mage