New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

In case I wasn't clear in my previous post, I'm finished with my turn after I lost the save.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, my apologies. Well then, I guess we'll found a new one off of the previous game. Please post within 12 hours if you want to play the first year of the new fort.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Not volunteering for first with this post but this thread really made me want to play Dwarf fortress again..so far nothing bad has happened at all.. kinda disappointing really.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be looking to start the next fort tomorrow, as it looks like nobody is available. I've been busy the last few days.

Anybody who wants the next turn in still free to grab it.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Bugbear in the Playground

Which link are we to use?
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

The last page has my save of the world, you should load that, abandon, and then select a new site you care to play. I linked it as "Here you are" I believe.

7. - Top - End - #907

Journal of Sohala Zocololin, Peasant Dwarf of Diamondlined

15th Sandstone 1055

I awoke today on the back of a giant beetle, in blood-stained rags, with a mountain of a headache and no memory of who or where I was. After the shock and fear for the large bug wore off, after it nuzzled me instead of eating me, I took stock of what I did know and what I could use to survive. It quickly turned out I had little of both, instead I had a dire need for food and something to drink.

1st Granite 1056

The caravan leader finally called a stop to our trek, declaring the land had spoken to her and said this was to be our new home. I think she is just a nut-job, but she save me and my beetle from starving to death, so I can't complain too much.

Across the brook we can see a small tribe of beast headed people, I wave high to them in greeting, they just growl back.

I have been assigned to the diggers for now.

(We had a section of cavern collapse DEEP underground)

3rd Malachite, 1056

Blessings to the Golden Rock, migrants have arrived! Our leader is working us so hard, our crops are rotting in the fields even as we plant more.

Oh my they brought a very skilled carpenter and armorer with them, this is truly a blessed day.

10th Limestone, 1056

Our first death occurred, Avuz Eseshmeng the stray dwarven baby died of thirst. Poor thing...

25th Limestone, 1056

The lads and I spot some winged people. Our broker (and hunter) plans to greet them with crossbow bolts.

22nd Sandstone, 1056

Another wave of migrants arrive, bringing meat and more throats to tax our dwindling bear supply.

18th Timber, 1056

Our first caravan is finally here. I hope they brought something good.

23rd Moonstone, 1056

The merchants finally agreed to our terms. We gain a pair of giant beetles and a llama out of the deal, my bug should be happy to have playmates.

9th Obsidian, 1056

We have struck our first metal, tetrahedrite!

10th Obsidian, 1056

The cavern has been breached! Though...I don't see anything too scary.

27th Obsidian, 1056

Until safety can we assured, the cavern has been ordered sealed.

1st Granite, 1057

A year has come and gone, but I still remember nothing of my former life. Maybe it is for the best, as I am happy here.

Finishing comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have a legendary miner, carpenter, and armorer.
    Three farm plots are inactive, the others each have their own crop type.
    There are three rooms of nest boxes, which might be overkill.
    I would like to get the giant beetles breeding, they lay eggs, which I don't fully understand how to breed with. On further review one of the beetles is still caged and will need releasing.
    We have plants and moss growing in the base, pasture space for the llama inside would be a good idea.
    The lever is in the leader's office.
    Some workshops are just placed randomly for their quick use, better lay-out advised.
    Stone blocks are not getting binned, this confuses me.
    Um...in the midst of sealing off the cavern, I appear to have sealed some dwarves in there, recommend their retrieval as highest priority.

Link to follow.

Edit: As promised, link.
    Last edited by Sohala; 2013-04-13 at 10:13 PM.

[3.5] Mana Mage

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent job! Glad to see someone managed to work on it. I'll have to download it later to check it out.

Everyone feel free to post about whether you want the next year. At this point everyone is welcome, first come first serve. If we have a few interested in a short amount of time I'll randomize whoever goes next.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll throw in for next go round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

Hi, I've been lurking in the thread for a while now and figured I'd drop in and say that this is what made me try my hand at running a few forts (many dwarfs have died horrible deaths).

I may want to try my hand at the succession game at some point but I'm a bit busy for the week so I might be up for the shot after Wookietank if no one else wants it after him.

Edit: As long as I'm making a post, when starting up worlds (just in case I ever have cause to start one for the thread) what's the policy on modding in new races and animals? I have a few Fun beasties floating about in my RAW files now. Like the race of blood drinking poison clawed giants that attack in ambushes and sieges and aren't killed by headshots (they take ages to bleed out as well, which has resulted in dwarfs starving to death while trying to finish them off. In other words Fun.)
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2013-04-15 at 01:32 PM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, modifications like that would have to be run by the thread. The mod we have now seems to be providing enough Fun as is, however.

And wookie, you're probably good to start whenever you're able.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-04-15 at 02:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Overseer Wookieetank:

Spoiler
    Show
    1st of Granite, 1057: I awake from a nightmare of starving to death in a cave and find myself in charge of our fort. It seems for once that we've actually managed to find a dwarfworthy location for our home in a mountain. Bout time. Looking things over, we have 9 bedrooms, and 19 dwarfs, looks like first order of business will be to construct additional bedrooms. Gorram snoring roommates.

9th of Granite, 1057: We have struck chrysoberyl. For some reason a strange place in the land of Rush-a comes to mind and something about radio-active. Shaking my head to clear it, I continue on about my business.

6th of Slate, 1057: We have migrants. Hurray for more cheap labor. Now I have to dig out more bedrooms if I want one to myself thanks to there now being 27 of us and only 18 bedrooms currently, *grumble*

13th of Felsite, 1057: Pointy eared undesireables bring a caravan to our doors. Myhap we can find something useful among their junk trinkets.

18th of Felsite, 1057: We've been ambushed! By...kobolds? Really, kobolds? You call this an ambush? What kind of dwarf are you that you consider any number of Kobolds an ambush? On another note, some pointy eared undesireables also showed up with the "ambush", here's hoping them and the Kobolds take each other out

19th of Felsite, 1057: Another (or the same?) ambush has been reported. Since we're already under attack from yesterday I sit the fort down and give them a talk on what counts as an ambush, and what is actually reinforcements for those already ambushing us. Come on dorfs, get yer terms straight.

23rd of Felsite, 1057: In a surprising turn of events, one of our mason's has been struck with a strange mood and withdraws from society laying claim to a ... Mason's Workshop?!? Really? Something making somewhat sense happened round here? I'm speechless.

Currently we're at 42 population, and in need of a large number of beds and doors, but other than that things are going decent.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Part 2 of Wookieetank the Overseer's Journal:

Spoiler
    Show
    2nd of Hematite, 1057: Today marks a grand occasion as our crazed mason has created an artifact... chert floodgate... ... At least it menaces with spikes of chert.

24th of Hematite, 1057: Nothing much else of note happened this month. Some of our merchants went on their merry way, our bedrooms finished getting dug out and new furniture to fill the bedrooms was ordered made. Oh and a snatcher, but I'm not concerned.

3rd of Malachite, 1057: One of our miners has been missing for a week. The jury is out on how sevre this portent may be.

19th of Malachite, 1057: Prempting any sort of unexpectedness, I order all the mason workshops to build us coffins, the graveyard expanded, and the gear and balista production put into high gear.

22nd of Malachite, 1057: I recieve word that Luzahn is now a Mason. Not sure what he was up to before, but I won't look a gift skilled dwarf in the mouth.

2nd of Galena, 1057: Just when I was starting to think I was rid of roommates for good, more migrants arrive. I swear if I have to share my room with one more dwarf, I'm selling them off to the undesirable pointy eared ones. Thats a promise!

4th of Galena, 1057: So due to what I'm hoping is a final count of migrants, 10 of them to be exact, a new hallway and bedrooms are being dug out for these new "residents".

7th of Limestone, 1057: For lack of any other news, our broker Imush (wonder if he's related to huskies) withdrew from socitey, and one of our Siege engineers, Edzul, had a baby girl. The bedrooms are all dug out now and work is being done to properly furniturize them. Our main entrance now has 3 more rows of stonefall traps protected it, and there is now a ballista set up aiming at our entrance as well. All in all, its been a productive summer.

18th of Limestone, 1057: With most of the construction projects winding down, our number of lazy dorfs is on the rise. To remedy this, our entire housing area has been ordered smoothed, using only a toothbrush.

19th of Babies, 1057: Two more mini-dorfs were found today, of the male flavor.

3rd of Sandstone, 1057: More migrants !@*#*&%$!@*&*&Y*#@&&$. I was just getting used to having my own room again. I'm half tempted to seal off the fort and leave these miscreants out in the cold. With 10 more mouths to feed, why is someone just now letting me know we only have 21 drinks left. Must go find our brewer(s?).

14th of Timber, 1057: Our liason and caravan from Azmololon arrived today

21st of Timber, 1057: After much discussion, I've requested a number of metal bars, more picks, trap weapons, a variety of alcohol, and some other stuff for next years caravan.

18th of Moonstone, 1057: Despite my best efforts at prevention, we somehow have a ghost haunting our fortress. We have enough graves for EVERYONE, and for some reason we have a ghost. Well done everyone, well done.

9th of Obsidian, 1057: Due to dehydration (dwarven SIDS?) our infant mortality rate is up and we're now down to only 59 citizens.

17th of Obsidian, 1057: A chaos dwarf made off with one of our kiddos. I'm informed shortly after this that one of our woodcutters had a daughter. Net loss 0? I'm okay with this.

1st of Granite, 1057: The new year begins, and thanks to our frequent snatchers and what not, I finally have a room to myself. I'm off to enjoy it, someone else can take over control while I catch up on some solitude.

Save

tl;dr:

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't kill the fort this time! Or leave us near death even

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Very nice! Do we not have an actual water source?

Everyone, please note whether you would like the next year of the fort.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Very nice! Do we not have an actual water source?
    I don't rightly know. Seeing as how we never ran out of drink, I didn't think we needed water. And not particularly wanting to be sieged, I wasn't too worried about the few dwarfs I did lose to preventable causes (snatchers, dehydration etc). Even with the probably close to 10 deaths, I had just about triple the number of dwarfs at year end that I had when I started.

16. - Top - End - #916

Hmm... I tried a bit at home but my Dwarf Therapist didn't work. Anyway I would like to be up for the next turn. Can't do any breeding or taming or beekeeping (although maybe I'll learn) but I know how to put this ghost to rest
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Hmm... I tried a bit at home but my Dwarf Therapist didn't work. Anyway I would like to be up for the next turn. Can't do any breeding or taming or beekeeping (although maybe I'll learn) but I know how to put this ghost to rest
    I "think" the ghost has been put to rest. I only ever got the one message about a ghosty, but that doesn't always mean anything.

18. - Top - End - #918

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I "think" the ghost has been put to rest. I only ever got the one message about a ghosty, but that doesn't always mean anything.
    Sorry, but the ghost is a up and going. I downloaded the file at work. He's ghosting around in the cemetary.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #919

Looks like you had a bit of a kobold raid by the body count. 8 dead kobolds nicely done.

Did you get the guys from the cavern out or does account for the two miners being dead?

Woah, looking for dead miners helpped me see the cavern has a vein of exposed gold in the upper reachs.

How did we get two Sohalas and Luzahns?

[3.5] Mana Mage

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Sorry, but the ghost is a up and going. I downloaded the file at work. He's ghosting around in the cemetary.
    Well at least he's hanging around in the proper location.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohala View Post
    Looks like you had a bit of a kobold raid by the body count. 8 dead kobolds nicely done.

Did you get the guys from the cavern out or does account for the two miners being dead?

Woah, looking for dead miners helpped me see the cavern has a vein of exposed gold in the upper reachs.

How did we get two Sohalas and Luzahns?
    I didn't realize (read: completely forgot ) we still had any dwarfs in the caverns, so yes they are most likely goners at this point.

As for the duplicate dwarfs, my guess is SCIENCE!

21. - Top - End - #921
    Troll in the Playground

Throwing my hat into the ring for the next turn.

I took a glance at the fort, looks good so far, better designed than most of mine but I would question the wisdom of an outdoor trade depot and the lack of an indoor pasture.

It looks like the immediate requirements are a better booze supply, too many dwarfs to be sitting at less than a hundred units or two.

Food looks fine, more than enough eggs, might be worth it to breed the egg laying animals to slaughter the young once they mature. Although the beetles may be best used as war beast stock since throw away soldiers are always useful.

Good work so far guys.

Oh, and I think I saw the ghosts body, it's in the caverns next to the lake.

22. - Top - End - #922

An outside trading post should make it so we still get merchants, even if we close up the fort. Or were those missed caravans from sieges instead...hmm.
    Last edited by Sohala; 2013-04-19 at 02:34 PM.

[3.5] Mana Mage

23. - Top - End - #923
    Troll in the Playground

An outside trading post should make it so we still get merchants, even if we close up the fort. Or were those missed caravans from sieges instead...hmm.
    Don't they come even if they can't reach the depot and just stand at the edge of the map as if you didn't have a depot? Pretty sure that's what happened in my fort when I holed up in a tunnel to hide from undead.

24. - Top - End - #924

Hmm, well outside depot will make them fight things then maybe.

[3.5] Mana Mage

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, well outside depot will make them fight things then maybe.
    Both entertaining and dwarfy.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Haha, great to see the thread active again. My coinflip has determined that Grim Portent has won out over Zar Peter fort the next year.

Feel free to start now, though if we get another applicant before day's end I'll end up having to re-roll between the three.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Troll in the Playground

I decided to drop a quick update on the year so far, two caravans, two ambushes, one migration and a forgotten beast all showed up over the course of spring so it promises to be an eventful year.

Journal of Overseer Grim Portent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I won't lie, I've been in worse places than this, but the drinks running low, the stockpiles are a mess and to top it off we have a haunting.

Well since I'm in charge for the time being I suppose it's my job to fix this place up a bit. First things first, getting rid of that ghost.

3rd of granite 1058: We successfully opened up the caverns and retrieved the bodies of the two dead dwarfs trapped there. They were interred in the graveyard.

5th of granite 1058: Seems we have a problem with babysnatchers in this area, I'm rather glad the previous overseers thought to trap the main entrance.

4th of slate 1058: A pair of thieves, a jawa and a kobold were chased away from the fort today. I must look into creating some sort of militia.

7th of slate 1058: I gave orders today to begin clearing a space for some forges and furnaces. I fear we may need all the metal equipment we can make soon for the miners have spoken of a foul beast from the deep caves, Sikel Lumnumsethal, a gigantic feathered pterasour. The beast wandered near our sealed off tunnels before disappearing from view.

15th of slate 1058: More blasted thieves keep throwing themselves at our traps and spooking our dwarfs. I really should make that militia.

18th of slate 1058: I have determined that we have no hospital on the premises. As such I have declared myself Chief Medical Dwarf and ordered the construction of a hospital. On an unrelated note I have given orders to expand the graveyard and manufacture spare coffins.

20th of slate 1058: A band of migrants arrived today, largely useless sods here to take advantage of our hospitality. We now number 76.

3rd of felsite 1058: Most wondrous fantastic news. My personal tomb has been completed, my coffin installed and the engravers are hard at work decorating it. I have commissioned some statues to adorn my tomb.

11th of felsite 1058: Some wretched elves arrived today, I hope they have something useful, like booze.

15th of felsite 1058: A bunch of people calling themselves 'high' elves arrived today, I'm not sure I like them any more than the other pointy eared pansies. What's this? A band of chaos dwarfs ambushed the high elves and were promptly butchered. I think I may get along just fine with these pointy eared sods.

22nd of felsite 1058: A band of sand raiders ambushed our fisherdwarfs today and are slowly approaching the fortress.

27th of felsite 1058: More thieves and blasted snatchers! And now the sand raiders are nearly at our door, I can hear the high elf traders being hacked apart from here. I really wish I had formed that militia.

29th of felsite 1058: Fortunately our hunters drove off the sand raiders with a few volleys of bolts. We lost several dwarfs during the attack however and morale is running low amongst those who lost friends and family.

5th of malachite 1058: One of our farmers was struck by a mood while out collecting metal from the bodies of dead chaos dwarfs and elves. I hope he makes something useful.

What I've done so far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've started getting the various professions better sorted out, the food stockpile has been seperated from the custom stockpile and divided into food and drink, I've prepared an area for smithing but we lack metal ore of any kind.

To get around this I plan on melting down less useful items left by the various dead ambushers and caravan guards.

I've had an indoor pasture dug out and stuck our grazers in there.

Shifted our captured enemies into a cage below the masonry floor and took their stuff from them.

I'm actually rather surprised at the pace of events, I don't tend to have this much happen in an entire year, let alone a season. I bought a bunch of drinks from the high elves so we're fine for supplies for now. I'm tempted to try and mine out the resources from the cavern below the fort, but I'm nervous about that forgotten beast, it may still be lurking down there somewhere.

28. - Top - End - #928

We have tetrahedrite two levels above our cavern breach. I just don't know how large of vein it is.

[3.5] Mana Mage

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

Ol' FB is probably still down there, I've never seen one actually leave the map, though if you're lucky animal men sometimes kill them.

I recommend arming up first; what were the specs on that beastie?

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Ol' FB is probably still down there, I've never seen one actually leave the map, though if you're lucky animal men sometimes kill them.

I recommend arming up first; what were the specs on that beastie?
    It can fly, has a trunk, feathers and breathes fire. I'm only worried about the fire breath since it's organic and a few axe or sword armed dwarfs could hack it up fairly quick. Fire would make short work of most of the dwarfs I send to chop it up though. Urist McOnfire is rather unhelpful after all.

I'll spend the next few months getting junk metal gear melted down and mining out ore veins so whoever follows me can get a real army sorted out and geared.