New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1126272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1114
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Well, I have now determined that dropping migrants down a chute to kill them without needing to engrave slabs (how I hate slabs) works fine. It's very coffin intensive, but it maintains a good population balance.

In other news I'm going to muck about with the RAWS a bit, maybe make a few new domestic animals or sentient races. Tempted to make a shearable creature that doesn't need to graze to provide a better source of thread for forts.

And I still need to learn how to power pumps properly.

I discovered a rather odd thing about the chute though. Dropping dwarfs 10 z levels onto spear traps with a full 10 adamantine spears has a surprisingly low lethality rate, it only kills about 1/3 dwarfs, most of the rest die of their broken bones and other wounds after a week or two, but a few linger on, with few or no injuries.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

I just felt this need to share this absoloutely amazing embark that someone managed to roll up. It's a thing of true beauty.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone still alive and/or around?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Can't speak for anyone else, but I at least, am waiting for the next big update before I resume dorfing.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

5. - Top - End - #1055

DwarfFighterGuy

So my previous post lied. That embark location that Aidan305 posted called to me with siren song and terrible temptations.

So I downloaded the aforementioned world and embarked upon there to build a canyonfort for great justice. However, something I wasn't expecting was for the site to be within siegeing distance of a necromancer tower. "Now wait a second iyaerP," you may be wondering. "You are the invincible overlord of doom who for three full threads now has successfully embarked where no one else could, built pointless mega-projects and mega-weapons in the course of a single year, and generally bowed your head to no foe or obstacle that dwarf-kind ever faced." And you would be right in thinking this, for although I may have been besieged by 80 zombies and a pair of necromancers before the second year was even done, and had my pants caught down with a paltry military of 4 marksdwarves and 2 melee dwarves, and no significant fortifications of note, the outpost of Mistytowers remains unconquered!

Now, I'm not going to pretend that it was easy, but with clever use of a controlled cave-in, I was able to drop the necromancers into a 20 story pit, and once they were no longer around, cleaning up the surface became much less of a headache, as with the necromancers dead, there was nothing getting the zombies back up time and time again. Despite my low military count, I had a secret weapon that I was able to unleash upon the unsuspecting undead. Twenty eight war dogs, bred from my starting pack, accompanied my paltry militia in our assault to retake the surface, and while each dog may not have done much individually to kill any zombies, every single one of them did a good job slowing them down for my hammerlord and his speardwarf apprentice to finish off, while my marksdwarves flailed about ineffectually with their crossbows in melee, despite having full quivers.

This being dwarf fortress, things of course couldn't be that easy, and a quadruple goblin squad ambush occurred before I had done much more than clear the front gates of zombies. With the goblins coming in, and me pushing out, the zombies were pretty much obliterated in short order. Knowing that even with my massive pack of war dogs, I couldn't engage in an open field fight against the superior goblin numbers, I ordered my dwarves to pull back inside the gates to let the choke point maximize the advantage of steel and superior training, while minimizing their numerical one. It was a bloody battle, but my dwarves proved their worth, slaughtering the goblins for the loss of only 3 of our own, and a number of the brave war dogs.

Mistytowers is safer now, the waves of migrants that never arrived due to the sieges having come en masse now, and the ranks of the militia and the workers have both swollen. Hammerlord Tobul Alaththiz is legendary now, and his soldiers are all at least competent. The lower bridge across the canyon is now complete, as are the defensive fortifications, and the siege artillery emplacements. A recent double siege of zombie horde followed up by massed goblins was cut down ruthlessly with the only casualties being two recruits who had not yet had the chance to be fully trained in the ways of war. During this second siege, we even managed to capture a human necromancer. Plans to incorporate his undead raising abilities into our defensive measures are underway even now.

The fortress of Mistytowers has been tested, and so far, it is undaunted.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

6. - Top - End - #1056

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Plans to incorporate his undead raising abilities into our defensive measures are underway even now.
    I beg you, details!
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Troll in the Playground

I've decided I'm going to start up a new succession fort. Anyone who wants a dorf just needs to ask, turns will either be first come first served, done in order or rolled for from applicants. I haven't decided yet.

I've genned a world, will look for a nice riverside spot to dig a fort.

There are several changes in my game. I'm using Deeper Dwarven Domestication, a few custom races exist, some custom animals, giant centipedes from Bay12 and I've shaken up what kind of animals we start with by removing the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag from everything. We have whatever pets live near the civ we belong to.

8. - Top - End - #1058

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sohala View Post
    I beg you, details!
    Big image warning.
    Spoiler
    Show

I basically am going to use fortifications and bridges to block/unblock LOS of the necromancer so that he will reanimate whatever the marksdwarves and balilsta have already killed. Close bridges to block his vision to stop perma-rezzing, and let my marksdwarves and the zombies finish off invaders. Then, my guys finish off whatever zombies are left.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Troll in the Playground

I've started a fort on a cave site and played through the first three months, I'll do some more tomorrow.

Overseers Log of The Quiet Corridors fort Crownplank Year 1051

Spoiler
    Show
    1st Granite: Well, we reached the new colony site. It's not a patch on the Mountainhomes but it will do. I've given orders for some farms to be dug out. We'll need to get some stone from that cave over there, train up some war beasts to help with defense, dig out a barracks so I have somewhere to practice my axe skills and sort out that pile of metal and coal we brought. It's going to be a long hard job doing all that digging, glad I'm not a miner.

18th Granite: Well the miners finally got out farms and food stockpile dug out, took them long enough. I've ordered our farms to be sown with seeds. Out food won't last for long if we don't start growing some.

22nd Granite: The miners have been hard at work tunneling into the cave walls, won't be long till we can set up some rooms in there. The mason and smith have set up some furnaces to start smelting all that ore we brought with us. He says he'll have me clad in a suit of full bronze armour in no time.

10th Slate: The miners have started digging out a proper space for an office, a dormitory and a barracks. About bloody time.

12th Slate: The office has been finished, I've told our little plowhand to stop planting things and sort out our stocks. He'll have to do until we get a proper Bookkeeper to sort things out.

16th Slate: The dormitory is nearly done. Good thing too, I'm getting a crick in my neck from sleeping in the grass like some kind of elf.

25th Slate: One of the miners says they say a troll come out of the cave and get savaged by a wild mole dog, I'll believe that when I see it.

27th Slate: Well I'll be a goblins uncle, a troll covered in mole dog bites wandered into our camp today. It was promptly brought down by our trained crundles. I owe that miner a drink.

4 Felsite: With the completion of our barracks I've taken to training. Can't let myself get rusty after all, I'm our only soldier. The dormitory was completed a few days ago, it's good to have a place to sleep without getting grit in your beard.

1st Hematite: Little has occurred since my last entry. We are establishing a dining room, and have begun smelting ores properly. I sent a miner deeper into the cave to scout and he found a caverns. A proper honest to Armok cavern, and he even saw some gold down there. If things keep going this well I may start to like this place.

If anyone's interested in the fort I'll post up some screenshots with my next update.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    If anyone's interested in the fort I'll post up some screenshots with my next update.
    Color me interested, and willing to participate.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry I took so long to get this done, I've been having laptop problems, which sadly lost me my notes on the last part of the year but I can remember what happened well enough regardless, although the dates elude me.

Overseers Log of The Quiet Corridors fort Crownplank Year 1051
    Spoiler
    Show
    23rd Malachite - A group of migrants has arrived to join us in our efforts, by and large they are only somewhat useful. They did bring us a giant centipede however.

7th Sandstone - How odd it seems to be writing entries so far apart, this is truly a dull place. Several new dwarfs arrived to join us today, I ordered five of them to train under me as Axedwarfs.

16th Timber - A caravan has arrived from the mountainhome! It is fortunate I had our smith forge several silver goblets to trade.

24th Timber - A giant olm rose from the deeps to savage two of our citizens. They were hauling gold ore from the caverns at the time, my squad and I were barely in time to rescue a third dwarf from its maw.

We have purchased a number of essentials from the traders, booze, cloth, some seeds, a little gypsum and some leather.

It would seem that as my year draws to a close things begin to grow interesting here. One of my students slew a kobold thief and we have been suffering a swarm of crundles from the caverns. I wish the next overseer luck in leading us to prosperity.

Pictures

Fort
    Spoiler
    Show

Farms
    Spoiler
    Show

Fort link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7896

EDIT: I found the year to be really dull. A few cavern creatures frightened a few dwarfs before getting cut apart by the militia but nothing noteworthy happened until the last few months.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2013-08-13 at 06:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless someone else wants it and lays claim in the next 5-6 hours (approximate time to me getting home from work), DIBS!

13. - Top - End - #1063

DwarfFighterGuy

Having everything on the surface like that is an open invitation to attack.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh hey, people came back. Excellent.

Also surface forts are pretty fun for that exact reason. Though digging a moat is always good.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Troll in the Playground

As is I wasn't too concerned about defence, we have 6 militia dwarfs with bronze axes and leather armour, enough armour and axes for 4 more dwarfs and it's the first year so no major threats. I did start building a perimeter wall though, and began leveling the cave entrance so it would be easier to keep tabs on what goes in and out.

I didn't dig into the ground because I think I embarked on an aquifer, though I'm not sure, so the cave seemed the best place to access the underground, and it was right next to the wagon.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

Good news everybody! The save is up and running.

Bad news: I'm in charge!

I solemnly swear to be up to no good

Edit:

Journal of Overseer Wookieetank and miner extrodinaire:

Spoiler
    Show
    2nd of Granite, 1052: After some shennanigans involving "time travel" and "dimensional teleporting" thanks to investigations into SCIENCE! I not only find myself in a strange new land far from the coast, but in charge of a group of strange creatures resembling, but not exactly like dwarves. Looking around at things, its seems the previous overseer started on a wall, which is nice, but left this nice hill full of ramps available for climbing in the middle of the wall. This oversight is being corrected as I write this.

9th of Granite, 1052: I found several dwarvf things lollygagging about today. They're now in charge of the fort beutification commitee, whose first task is to smooth all exposed rock surfaces. It would seem that we have an infestation of Crundles who like to spend their hobby time distraction workers on wall building detail. I've set the militia the task of exterminating these pests.

26th of Granite, 1052: With the completion of our hill being shortened, I've ordered the diggers to start working on a moat for us, around what will be our main entrance.

2nd of Felsite, 1052: Migrants of the almost dwarves arrived today, pushing our number to 29.

17. - Top - End - #1067

DwarfFighterGuy

cage traps to capture the crundles so we can start taming them and make crundle egg omlettes!

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Troll in the Playground

It just so happens we already have crundles. When I realised that changing the raws so that civs only have native animals available meant dwarfs had few egg layers I modded crundles to appear on the first cavern layer, be war trainable and have a child age.

The upshot of this is embarking with crundles, the downside is more crundle swarms from the caverns.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently we not only have crundles, but war crundles even!

Journal Part the Second of Overseer Wookieetank:

Spoiler
    Show
    3rd of Hematite, 1052: Summer has arrived and with it merchants. Granted they look an awfully lot like the pointy eared tree hugging monstrosities from back home, but maybe these might just be different critters.

5th of Hematite, 1052: It would seem our previous overseer was correct in his assumptions about us being near an aquifer, as we have struck damp stone while working on the moat. Contemplations on weaponizing the aquifer as an upgrade to our moat.

27th of Hematite, 1052: A honey badger has "graced" us with its presence today. The smite squad has been put on mission to despense some indiscriminate justice.

16th of Malachite, 1052: Seems we need a therapist, or stronger alcohol. One cog Libadbesmar has grown romantically attached to a bronze battle axe. I am greatly disturbed, to be attracted to an item of such low quailty material was unheard of in the coastal regions. Dwarves these days *shakes head*

21st of Malachite, 1052: Visible progress has finally been made on our walls, bout time. Back in my homelands we built a fort floating on the ocean in a season I tell you, and spring at that!

25th of Malachite, 1052: Excellent, it would seem tales of my previous disasters as leader have yet to reach these lands, for more migrants have arrived to fill out our ranks today. With a force of 40 strong now, the world is our axe to swing.

18th of Galena, 1052: A Hume caravan arrived today, wonder if they have anything useful.

22nd of Galena, 1052: Today I discovered a distinct lack of a mechanic shop as I attempted to set up a lever for our newly constructed bridge. I'm baffled by the priorites of these almost dwarves, as a proper dwarf I'm doing what I can to set these backwards creatures straight.

26th of Galena, 1052: One of our woodburners was overcome by a fey mood today. Seems even in this strange new land, some things never change.

4th of Sandstone, 1052: Today word has reached me of yet another dwarf being drawn to a weapon of shoddy material. Grim Aranolon has grown attached to his bronze battle axe as well. Or is it cog Libadbesmar's battle axe? Don't tell me, some questions are better left unanswered (and unasked now that I take a moment to think) *shudder*

28th of Sandstone, 1052: I shall have to congradulate our PR staff on a job well done, for today more migrants have migrated to our mighty fortress, bringing us to a grand total of 52 dwarves.

9th of Timber, 1052: A Wereelephant of terrible form thirsting for blood and flesh arrived in our lands today. Lacking any sort of finished defenses at this point, I rally the militia and send them off to our salvation, and with any luck not their doom.

24th of Timber, 1052: After digging through a mountain of reports it seems our resident Wereelephant only took one of our number before dying from blood loss through an artery wound. Well done axedwarves.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Troll in the Playground

There's a reason I always bring a military dorf on embark these days.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Wookieetank the moody Miner:

Spoiler
    Show
    17th of Moonstone, 1052: It seems not even I am immune to strange moods. Today I have withdrawn from soiety to contemplate the constrution of a mysterious object.

9th of Opal, 1052: Today our Glazer died of dehydrations. Seems we ran out of booze while I was in my trance. I've ordered our brewer bak to work and threatened him with sobriety if we should run out again.

2nd of Obsidian, 1052: Today we celebrate new life in our fort as Melbil Letmosrigoth gave birth to a girl.

18th of Obsidian, 1052: Another Baby today. Gues our restored booze supplies has dwarves merry and celebrating.

1st of Granite, 1053: Today a new dwarf takes over. Sadly the wall and moat are not finished, but major progress has been made on both at least.

Save

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm kinda waiting for the next release before I get back into DF. My interest in the game waxes and wanes.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Troll in the Playground

I'll give it two more days and if no one else wants a turn by then I'll take the next one.

24. - Top - End - #1074

I think I will tinker with it a little bit.

Save is working.

Is there a lever, and where is it?

[3.5] Mana Mage

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I will tinker with it a little bit.

Save is working.

Is there a lever, and where is it?
    Its southwest of the bridge by itself. With how "well" the dwarves were constructing the wall and moat I figured I leave making a guard house or whatever to the next person.

26. - Top - End - #1076

Nothing really happened until I screwed up...

Overseer's Log
    Spoiler
    Show
    2nd Granite
    Well... I lost a bet and now am in charge of this sorry excuse for a hole. I don't think you will believe when I tell you this, but the previous 'leaders' decided it was a good idea to build a base above ground. Didn't they know what is above ground? There is the sun, rain, and pointy ears. Now just because I like some of the breeding stock and meat the pointy ears bring, it doesn't mean I want to live like one!

3rd Granite
    I was given a tour of our 'base'. I don't know how we have made it this long, our WAGON is still built for crying out loud and who is the genius that turned none of this gold into bars, how am I suppose to talk crazy dwarves into making me a nice gold hammer if there are no bars? Anyways, there seems to be some work on something that looks like a giant latrine. I have been informed it is a wall and moot, but dang that breeze feels nice. Space seems to be at a premium with everyone crammed in a couple rooms or standing... outside. Why are there coffins next to nest boxes... is there a breeding secret no one told me about?

4th Granite
    Some durn fool tried to offer me a bucket of water today (Don't you people know dwarves drown in water?), when I plainly asked for him to get me a beer. He sputter out something about us being out of drink. This problem will need to be fixed quickly.

5th Granite
    WHAT?! We don't even have any barrels?

6th Granite
    My third day of sobriety... I don't think I can take much more of this.

7th Granite
    Someone pointed out that we have guests... They have one barrel of beer, which doesn't make it out of the trade depot, and a couple other things...

8th Granite
    I noticed an abundant resource just collecting dust, bone crafting has been started.

9th Granite
    Something needs to be done about that weird cavern entrance...

15th Slate
    Wookieetank is missing, how strange.

18th Slate
    Oh that explains it, he is dead. He suffered a fate worse than torture, he died from lack of beer.

22nd Slate
    We got no new lay abouts this season. At least something has gone right so far.

24th Slate
    Oh lovely, a child was born... with its non-stop crying and yet another mouth to fill with beer...

25th Slate
    And another one...

2nd Felsite
    A farmer has died in the caverns! (But really, I don't understand why he couldn't go up the ramps, I started replacing them with stairs, but was unable to do the last set before him. I dug out around the ramp and they could get down there, but he was dead by the time I figured this out)

14th Felsite
    Barrel and pot production finally passed food storage requirement, beer flows again thru the halls, and not a moment too soon. Tantrums were starting to pop up.

17th Felsite
    A kobold thief thought it a good idea to sneak up on one of our hunters, his corpse is now baking under the sun.

On a less entertaining note... pointy ears have arrived to trade. They didn't like our bonecrafts.

11th Hematite
    Another baby.

17th Hematite
    Somehow we made a diplomat angry.

19th Hematite
    No migrants again, must be doing something right.

7th Malachite
    Yet another baby.

8th Malachite
    One of these babies has died of thirst, how odd.

15th Malachite
    I have started a deforestation campaign, our slogan is, “Only you can chop down the whole forest.” I think it is rather catch.

18th Malachite
    The langurs don't like my plan and have attacked, I have loosed the military on them. They didn't stand a chance.

2nd Galena
    The giraffe have decided to invade our land as well, maybe they will last longer.

They ran faster, that is for sure.

6th Galena
    Another child...

14th Galena
    A human caravan, now were talking. I fear they will leave before all our trade goods are moved.

They had nothing...

3rd Sandstone
    A baby has been kidnapped by a thief we can't see.

4th Sandstone
    Our legendary bone carver has been struck with a mood, I wonder what he is making...

3rd Timber
    Another child...

13th Timber
    A snatcher, he died quickly.

17th Timber
    Our breather have come trading.

Oh dear, an ambush! I guess we wont be trading after all.

(double liaison, strange)

14th Moonstone
    ...The bone carver couldn't find any 'cloth...thread' that he liked and went insane, he was put down quickly.

6th Opal
    A fey mood has struck one of our fisher dwarves. He has taken over a craftdwarf workshop.

We got a legendary woodcrafter!

27th Opal
    I have decided to fill the giant ditch with water.

Of course, now everyone wants to grab items from the ditch and we have a drowning/tantrum fest...

(About this time dwarf starts killing dwarf, they start refusing to eat or drink, and messages go by so fast I actually lose track of when it is. The dead start to outnumber our coffins and dwarves start refusing to build or even move corpses, making it even worse with miasma. The ambush at the end was just the final nail in the coffin...)

[3.5] Mana Mage

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing really happened until I screwed up...

Overseer's Log
    Spoiler
    Show
    2nd Granite
    Well... I lost a bet and now am in charge of this sorry excuse for a hole. I don't think you will believe when I tell you this, but the previous 'leaders' decided it was a good idea to build a base above ground. Didn't they know what is above ground? There is the sun, rain, and pointy ears. Now just because I like some of the breeding stock and meat the pointy ears bring, it doesn't mean I want to live like one!

3rd Granite
    I was given a tour of our 'base'. I don't know how we have made it this long, our WAGON is still built for crying out loud and who is the genius that turned none of this gold into bars, how am I suppose to talk crazy dwarves into making me a nice gold hammer if there are no bars? Anyways, there seems to be some work on something that looks like a giant latrine. I have been informed it is a wall and moot, but dang that breeze feels nice. Space seems to be at a premium with everyone crammed in a couple rooms or standing... outside. Why are there coffins next to nest boxes... is there a breeding secret no one told me about?

4th Granite
    Some durn fool tried to offer me a bucket of water today (Don't you people know dwarves drown in water?), when I plainly asked for him to get me a beer. He sputter out something about us being out of drink. This problem will need to be fixed quickly.

5th Granite
    WHAT?! We don't even have any barrels?

6th Granite
    My third day of sobriety... I don't think I can take much more of this.

7th Granite
    Someone pointed out that we have guests... They have one barrel of beer, which doesn't make it out of the trade depot, and a couple other things...

8th Granite
    I noticed an abundant resource just collecting dust, bone crafting has been started.

9th Granite
    Something needs to be done about that weird cavern entrance...

15th Slate
    Wookieetank is missing, how strange.

18th Slate
    Oh that explains it, he is dead. He suffered a fate worse than torture, he died from lack of beer.

22nd Slate
    We got no new lay abouts this season. At least something has gone right so far.

24th Slate
    Oh lovely, a child was born... with its non-stop crying and yet another mouth to fill with beer...

25th Slate
    And another one...

2nd Felsite
    A farmer has died in the caverns! (But really, I don't understand why he couldn't go up the ramps, I started replacing them with stairs, but was unable to do the last set before him. I dug out around the ramp and they could get down there, but he was dead by the time I figured this out)

14th Felsite
    Barrel and pot production finally passed food storage requirement, beer flows again thru the halls, and not a moment too soon. Tantrums were starting to pop up.

17th Felsite
    A kobold thief thought it a good idea to sneak up on one of our hunters, his corpse is now baking under the sun.

On a less entertaining note... pointy ears have arrived to trade. They didn't like our bonecrafts.

11th Hematite
    Another baby.

17th Hematite
    Somehow we made a diplomat angry.

19th Hematite
    No migrants again, must be doing something right.

7th Malachite
    Yet another baby.

8th Malachite
    One of these babies has died of thirst, how odd.

15th Malachite
    I have started a deforestation campaign, our slogan is, “Only you can chop down the whole forest.” I think it is rather catch.

18th Malachite
    The langurs don't like my plan and have attacked, I have loosed the military on them. They didn't stand a chance.

2nd Galena
    The giraffe have decided to invade our land as well, maybe they will last longer.

They ran faster, that is for sure.

6th Galena
    Another child...

14th Galena
    A human caravan, now were talking. I fear they will leave before all our trade goods are moved.

They had nothing...

3rd Sandstone
    A baby has been kidnapped by a thief we can't see.

4th Sandstone
    Our legendary bone carver has been struck with a mood, I wonder what he is making...

3rd Timber
    Another child...

13th Timber
    A snatcher, he died quickly.

17th Timber
    Our breather have come trading.

Oh dear, an ambush! I guess we wont be trading after all.

(double liaison, strange)

14th Moonstone
    ...The bone carver couldn't find any 'cloth...thread' that he liked and went insane, he was put down quickly.

6th Opal
    A fey mood has struck one of our fisher dwarves. He has taken over a craftdwarf workshop.

We got a legendary woodcrafter!

27th Opal
    I have decided to fill the giant ditch with water.

Of course, now everyone wants to grab items from the ditch and we have a drowning/tantrum fest...

(About this time dwarf starts killing dwarf, they start refusing to eat or drink, and messages go by so fast I actually lose track of when it is. The dead start to outnumber our coffins and dwarves start refusing to build or even move corpses, making it even worse with miasma. The ambush at the end was just the final nail in the coffin...)
    Glad my dorf missed out on having to expierence the more intense bits of Fun.

28. - Top - End - #1078

DwarfFighterGuy

sounds FUN.

29. - Top - End - #1079

Hammerdwarf Log

Spoiler
    Show
    1st Granite
    I was assigned to guard a settlement expedition, I think I would have rather been killed on the spot, but here I am still alive and freezing my beard off. I thought the leader was off her rocker, well I guess still do, for heading out into these frozen wastes, but she knew her stuff and led us strait to our current location: the rim of a volcano. She blathered on in a big speech about the blood of the world or something, meanwhile I setup pickets and got the others to starting camp.

7th Granite
    The land is mainly made of dacite, but lads have hit microline and brimstone so far. I think I see a bit of dirt sticking off the side, will see if I can get the crew to it for some crops. The hunt for magma safe stone is still on going. Meanwhile our leader is kneeling before the rim; it is tempting to give her that last nudge.

14th Granite
    I spotted some reindeer, along with a decent sized silver vein (there are several) on my most recent patrol. The hammer corp should be easy to equip then.

1st Hematite
    So the snow does melt around here, good to know, sadly we killed off our livestock before knowing this. On the plus side we have meat now.

8th Malachite
    Migrants... a blessing and curse.

6th Galena
    We have struck silver within the mountain (so much silver).

15th Galena
    Success, obsidian!

20th Limestone
    Finally got a hammer made of that silver we found. Now I just need some armor.

26th Sandstone
    Found my first recruitment for the guard, he is learning quickly.

19th Timber
    Our brethren have come to trade, our trade stock is meager though.

Our weapon smith decided to go on break as they arrived, and then once he was done with his break the broker decided to go to break as well. I managed to get us a bar of bronze and some gloves before they left.

1st Granite
    So ends our first year on this living mountain.

Follow up:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The top just has a 3x3 entrance. It needs fortifications and ramp removal.

Second floor: Presently just a storage room. Trading post on the right, undefended. Had thoughts of a microline structure here, leading thru a 3 passage to the top.

Third floor: Mainly just housing, has the barracks and manager office here.

Fourth floor: Started meeting area here, with a stone stock pile and an everything stock pile. The everything stock pile is having the food moved closer to the food production area.

Fifth floor: Mainly just tossed the workshops here to get them going, better layout+stockpiles suggested. Silver bars and silver war hammers are on repeat production, rotate weapons on military dwarves as better ones are produced.

Fifth floor: Catacombs. Stone needs smoothing and then coffins added. I didn't have the laborers required to complete that part.

Beer production is rather slow.
    People are tied up with moving stuff.
    Military dwarves have barely any armor.
    Microline, brimstone and obsidian are disabled from non-eco use.

Save to follow.

Edit: Here you go.
    Last edited by Sohala; 2013-08-22 at 09:31 PM.

[3.5] Mana Mage

30. - Top - End - #1080

DwarfFighterGuy

wait, so did the other one crumble into dust?