New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Scion: Hero - SCP: The Icarus Initiative

February 16 - 2014
    SCP Foundation Campus Theta

It's that time of the morning again. Time for the Tuesday Report. It was, of course, a Thursday, but apparently the report was named in memorial to some old agent named Tuesday, and frankly, of all the things you've seen since arriving at the Foundation, the Tuesday Report happening on Thursdays was a really minor thing.

Agent Donahue arrived on time as usual, his typical expression communicating equal parts exasperation and sleeplessness, despite every agent of the foundation having 9 hours of sleep built into their schedule. Well, basically every agent, at least. He did, for sure, so whatever his problem was was his own fault. Despite that sound piece of logic, and despite the fact that, as handler, it was literally his job to put up with you, he never seemed overly fond of the Icarus Initiative in general, and especially disliked its members.

Still, the Tuesday Report wasn't all bad, it delayed your typical daily duties, and the chance to take the morning more slowly was worth it. Whatever you do, be it patrols, observation, or research, none of it could begin before the Tuesday Report was complete. And with his usual brusque throat clear, Donahue began.

"Alright, let's get this over with, we all have real work to do. SCP-1981 is reaching a state of degeneration that's putting future investigation at risk. Current discussion regarding the value and risk of copying the tape to a more durable format are ongoing. Icarus Initiative encouraged to comment, but frankly none of you are on the project, so don't count on being the deciding vote."

You suspect the last phrase wasn't in his script. "SCP-006-J has been recommended for reconsideration by Dr. Tetch, but the subspecies he is presenting is likely to receive its own SCP designation, as the three specimens he has collected present a particular threat beyond the... realm of SCP-006-J.

A number of D-class personnel have been terminated after an incident involving attempted abuse of SCP-028. Investigations are preceding regarding the identity of personnel involved in allowing undocumented access to SCP-028.

And yeah, that's it. You all know you're duties, get to them."

"Actually, Agent Donahue, if I could jump in before you let them go..." Kahlee Sanders, head of Research Division XVIII appeared in the doorway, handing Donahue a requisition form. "682 is approaching a cogent cycle and The Icarus Initiative has been requested for a special bit of research. It won't occur for several hours, perhaps a day or two, but there's a good deal of briefing necessary."

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Scion: Hero - SCP: The Icarus Initiative

Dr. Sakamoto

Heji leans back in his chair, hands stuck into his lab coat. His tall, lanky frame fits poorly into these hard plastic chairs, the ubiquitous kind of indeterminable age that seem to breed in the dark musty corridors of any bureaucracy. "So, what is it that you need us to do, Sanders?
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Dr. Bookman
    "I say. I must agree with Dr. Sakamoto. What is it we are supposed to do." He wasn't dressed as a Doctor at the moment, but that didn't mean he wasn't one . In fact, he was eager to bring his field of knowledge to the table, healing others and bringing restoration to those who suffered injury. He may have also been chosen for his unusual affinity for engineering science and electronics, but truth be told, he was looking forward to putting all of his skills to use.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Colin

Colin slumped down in his chair, legs sprawled out, arms crossed. Today he wore a T-shirt championing Mountain Justice, an environmental movement protesting mountain top removal for coal mining. After Kahlee spoke, he leaned forward in his chair, grinning.

"My sentiments echo those of the two good doctors, and if I may, Ms. Sanders, how exactly do you come up with all of the numbers for these things?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Thaddeus Rhodes

Sitting imperiously in a suspiciously out-of-place, plushy office chair with arm rests and a high back, Thaddeus Rhodes raised a black eyebrow at Donahue. He was a powerfully built man in his early thirties with olive skin, stormcloud gray eyes, medium-length hair and a short, thick beard wearing an expensive but not gaudy gray suit. The jacket had been casually thrown over the chair behind him and the sleeves of his blue shirt unbuttoned and rolled up his muscled forearms, revealing exquisitely crafted golden bracers which fit him perfectly. A rather large briefcase had been placed on the conference table at which he sat naturally at the head.

He leaned forward and rested his elbow on his knee, placing his formidable, clefted chin in his hand. "Called out of court for a morning announcement... Could you not have simply emailed that? I do have other responsibilities, Agent Donahue." he reminded the man in a voice that matched his other features, making it seem like the agent should be apologizing for wasting Thaddeus' valuable time.

"However, seeing as I'm already here, I'll echo my coworkers' sentiments. Please continue, Ms. Sanders. And...please...be succinct." he smirked.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rory Connor

Rory sits quietly at the table, laconic as always. His rough clothing and messy hair clashing with the sleek office furniture around him. At least he shaved this morning.

"Let 'er talk, Rhodes," the Irishman says in a good-natured tone, "Ye know you only make it longer wit all yer li'l comments. If twasn't important she wouldn't've interrupted us, then, would she?" He smiles to ease the tension in the room, and turns back to Sanders. "We're all ears then, ma'am."

I'm active here and at the Real Adventure Forums at Wizards of the Coast.
    Mephit James' Games: Home to my game creations and resources.

7. - Top - End - #7

Donahue excused himself in an apparent huff, likely not due to anything anyone said, that's just how he knew how to leave rooms. Sanders rolled her eyes at your handler and continued, hoping to answer the barrage of identical questions she was receiving. "Just to note Agent Rhodes, we do appreciate your duties outside the Foundation, but this project we hope to begin will likely require extended leave on your part. Donahue has actually been working on arranging replacements for that period. Despite his... demeanor, he's actually remarkably competent."

She paused to clear her throat, her posture straightening. Business time. "As far as 682 is concerned - " she paused briefly, turning to Colin "- oh, the numbers are randomly assigned, essentially - but your involvement with 682 will involve, essentially a sit-down conversation with the beast."

"As some of you may be aware, as far as we can tell, 682 is indestructible, and harbors a passionate loathing for humans. Soon, we will need to cycle out the acid in its containment, and this presents one of the few opportunites we have to communicate with the creature. We are bringing you all in to, hopefully, discover more about its nature. As we have been unable to develop any kind of reliable test for... divinity, or whatever you share with the Titanspawn, we're curious to see if his reaction toward your ilk is the same as his reaction to normal humans - and if being in the presence of god-based lifeforms brings forward any other unique interactions. If we can establish it as a titanspawn, for instance, that at least tells us something about its origins and goals."

"For today, I'll need you all to report to conference room B-1409 at 1000 hours to begin briefing for this experiment. This will supercede your usual duties."
    Last edited by Hyooz; 2012-10-23 at 11:52 PM.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Thaddeus Rhodes

There was a boom like thunder as Thaddeus' fist hit the conference table. "No," he rumbled, "I will appoint my own replacement -- one I trust to direct the state's prosecution adequately. Tell Donahue that his assistance is appreciated, but unneeded." he said as he stood up.

He was always so theatrical when he wasn't getting his way.

A simple call or two between now and 1000 hours would be all he required to get someone else on the case. Still, it always irritated Thaddeus when the SCP chose to override his schedule without his permission like that. Maybe it was the god's blood, but part of him wanted to quit in petty protest and see them flounder without him. The vast majority of him, though, wanted to finally get the chance to talk with SCP-682 face to face. If it was titanspawn it had unheard of regenerative capabilities...nearly the match of a true god, he imagined. His responsibility was to see to it.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2012-10-24 at 02:18 AM.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

"If that is what you would prefer, I'll have Donohue forward along what he's done so far for your perusal. You may find yourself impressed. Your preferences, however, will be noted for the future, so that hopefully we can bother you as little as possible when the need arises." Flipping over a few pages, Sanders jotted down a few notes on her clipboard before looking back up at the group. "Is there anything else? If not, I have other preparations to be making."

Rhodes
    Spoiler
    Show

Shortly, an email will be sent to your address detailing a number of arrangements nearly completed with lawyers in his region. Each is the at top of their respective fields of expertise. Apparently they have standing agreements to step in to situations the Foundation requests, compensation to be handled by the Foundation afterward. Your work would obviously be in good hands left to the organization, but they have deferred the matter to you.
    Last edited by Hyooz; 2012-10-24 at 11:27 AM.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Dr. Sakamoto

I have no questions at this time. I'll se you at 1000 hours then, I suppose. With that, he rises from the chair, and with a few long-legged stride exits the room. He returns to his room, and lays down to take a quick nap. He didn't actually need to do such things anymore, but it provided a comforting sense of stability and order.

Discord Tag #4097

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Colin

Colin sighed and stood up. He had planned to get covert footage today of a coal mining corporation bombing a mountain deep in the Appalachians, but now it seemed like he wouldn't be able to be there.

He whipped out his cell phone as he walked out of the room. "I'll see you guys at ten. I've got some phone calls to make."

He dialed the number for Asteria, who was both his assistant director and a fierce Amazon warrior. More than anyone else, he trusted her to lead the film crew in his absence, and he had a lot of instructions to give her for the shoot today.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rory

"Roight," Rory says, standing as well. "Ten 'tis, then." He starts for the door, then pauses and turns back to talk in a low voice to Ms. Sanders. "And, uh, how's the policy about dogs, then? Ciarrog's a roight joy at interrogations, ye won t'even notice 'im."
    Last edited by Mephit James; 2012-10-24 at 09:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Ah, interrogations? I hope we won't be needing to do any of that. I'm a Doctor not a torturer." Jacob responded. He thought a moment of something else to ask. He couldn't think of anything. "Anyway, I don't mean to be disrespectful or insubordinate, but I had thought I was not assigned to . . . some thing that are. . . distasteful."

14. - Top - End - #14

"I think you misunderstand Mr. Bookman. I think you misunderstand a great deal."

Sanders raised her hand to her mouth, gnawing nervously on her thumbnail as she thought for a moment how exactly to formulate her next thought. "Interrogation is about as from from the right word as possible, and I don't think torture is something we can inflict to this creature.

682 is Keter class - and that is not a label we give lightly. Believe me, anything classified as Keter, we would much rather not be tasked to contain... but destroying them has proven difficult, at best."

She paused, taking a deep breath to level herself, obviously somewhat shaken just thinking this hard about the creature. "682's containment procedures involve keeping it submerged in powerful acid at all times. This is the only way we have found to reliably keep it weak enough to not destroy any material we've tried to contain it with. The structure currently housing it is forged from some of the strongest materials known to man, and it is the third iteration we've gone through. Normal personnel are forbidden from speaking to it because even in its weakened state, its hatred for humanity is so powerful, it has breached containment even while fully submerged."

"So don't worry about doing distasteful things to 682. You won't go anywhere near it. Beyond that, however, it certainly won't offer you the same courtesy."

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

At hearing the explanation, Bookman blinks for a second and finally responds. "Ah. I see. So I can see why 682 can be quite a problem if it has such a hatred for the Human race in addition to having such vast power. I am glad you told me of this. I'm curious, however, how we came into possession of it in the first place. Oh well, no matter. I suppose I will see you in 1000 hours."
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2012-10-26 at 12:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rory

The fisherman's son listens with a neutral expression but, as usual, there's a lot more under the surface than he lets on. Rory prefers to let others do the talking, finding there's more to learn by listening than blabbing. As Ms. Sanders explains he racks his brain for more information.

Spoiler
    Show
    Check for what he knows about this designation: [rollv]4d10[/rollv]

If it's alright to bring Ciarrog along, Rory's ready for 1000 hours.
    Last edited by Mephit James; 2012-10-26 at 07:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Thaddeus Rhodes

Though he didn't make it apparent to Sanders or Donahue, Rhodes actually did use at least one of the very good lawyers they had offered. He filled out the rest of the prosecution team with his own people, however. Once he was satisfied that they would do alright without him, he reluctantly left them to it. Soon enough he'd have other more monstrous things to occupy his time.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Rory
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recall that there are three primary classifications given to anything secured, contained, and protected within the SCP: Safe, Euclid, and Keter.

Safe subjects are as described: considered safely stored away effectively permanently. This does not, however, imply the subject itself isn't dangerous, just that containment procedures are relatively simple and the object is of no real threat since contained. An example would be an idol that kills anything that touches it. The important distinction that defines a Safe object is that it can be handled safely with appropriate containment procedures.

An SCP object is classified as Euclid when its behavior cannot be unerringly predicted, either because the item is sentient, it behaves outside of current scientific knowledge, or its nature is simply poorly understood at present. Euclid-class objects do not pose the same existential threat to humanity due to containment breach that Keter-class objects do, but they still generally require more diligence to keep contained than Safe-class objects.

Although many Euclid-class objects could be used for the benefit of the Foundation or of humanity, they may have unforeseen ramifications after their use due to their unpredictable nature. Some Euclid-class SCPs are eventually understood well enough to be reclassified as Safe, but most remain inscrutable even to the most rigorous of experimentation.

The designation "Keter" is assigned to subjects that both (a) display vigorous, active hostility to human life, civilization, and/or spacetime, and (b) are capable of causing significant destruction in the event of a containment breach. Such subjects must be cataloged, contained according to special containment procedures, and destroyed, if possible. Merely being inimical to human life is not in itself cause for classification as a Keter-level object. A Keter classification indicates that not only is this subject capable of inflicting devastating harm to human life and civilization, but that containment protocols must be extensive, involved, and precisely followed in order to prevent it from doing so. Research into the neutralization of Keter-class SCPs is always a top priority for the Foundation.

Time passes, and after doing whatever you felt like doing during the intervening few hours, you make your way to the aforementioned conference room, dogs allowed, though some personnel along the way may have given you odd looks. Hard to tell behind the masks and helmets, but there were turned heads, at least one asked to pet him. Waiting for you there are Sanders and 3 other researchers, fussing with a projector, a great deal of paper, and Sanders behind a lecturn, apparently putting the finishing touches on whatever they had arranged. Chairs are arranged on the far side of the table, each with a file folder containing basic information on SCP-682.

Sanders looks up and nods a short greeting. "Excellent, you're here. Have a seat and we'll begin the briefing."

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rory

Flipping through the report, Rory feels his stomach sinking until he feels curiously light and disconnected. He's seen a lot since he met his true father but this report is something else. Things like this actually exist? And he is supposed to ask it questions like it's in a radio interview? Not for the first time, Rory wonders whether he made the right decision joining the Initiative.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Colin

Colin quickly skimmed the report. Despite the obvious horrific nature of the beast, he felt a faint sense of burning excitement begin to grow in his chest, the same kind that he felt when he was starting to come across a new story. There was a whole layer of unknowns in the world, just waiting to be found out by somebody who was willing to peel off the veneer of normalcy that surrounds the world. That discovery could be his...no, should be his, because he knew better than anyone the best way to use information for the betterment of the world.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Doctor Bookman
    "Ah, quite interesting." Jake said as he skimmed the report. "Unusual, to be sure, but I'm confused, and I'm not quite sure at what." He set down the file. "As I said before, quite interesting. I hope to be of measurable service." The Doctor said pleasantly. "Although I'm not quite sure how. None of my talents seem up to taking care of this problem directly. How about any of you?" He winked at the others.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Dr. Sakamoto

"My studies have been primarily on agriculture, but I suppose a few of the the things I learned might be applicable here." He scans the file, looking for anything noteworthy beyond the general fear these people seem to hold the subject in. "Might we proceed now, please?"

Discord Tag #4097

23. - Top - End - #23

A logo blinked onto the overhead and Sanders nodded, satisfied. "Thank you for taking the time to examine the reports. For now, however, the goal of this particular investigation is not termination of 682." With a click, the logo blinked out and several pictures of 682 from a variety of angles took its place, and they slowly faded into more as she spoke, using different imaging techniques. "Though 682 remains a Sword of Damacles dangling over the head of the entire organization, for now, we simply hope to learn more about it through interaction with a different human-like lifeform - namely, you lot."

"Since the Foundation discovered the existence of Scions, some amount of hope has arisen over the possibility of 682 being some form of Titanspawn, though, frankly, at this point we'll settle for ANY kind of new data points."

Sanders cleared her throat, and gestured slightly to the group. "Before we go into the details of the operation, do you have any further questions? This is not an undertaking we undergo lightly. We have a lot riding on this interaction."

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Thaddeus Rhodes

"Say it is Titanspawn and it breaks free trying to kill us. Do we have authorization to try to kill it, box it back up, or what have you?" Rhodes asked pointedly, his arms crossed over his barrel chest.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rory

"If we can kill it," Rory says, "And if 'tis toitanspawn, it's moi understandin' that they usually have big brothers who don't loik seeing 'em toid up. If this ting's so hard to kill, what's in place ta stop the ting holdin' the leash when it comes t'collect?"

[spoiler]I'm going to eventually drop the eye dialect, but I don't want Rory's nationality to get swept under the rug as it's a big part of his character. You'll have to start imagining the brogue eventually but I thought it was worthwhile to hammer it home to start.[/color]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Dr. Sakamoto

"I have no further questions. If you would care to show us to the appropriate question, I would like to begin. I feel we will be up to this task." Dr. Sakamoto fingers the jade magatama hanging from his neck by a leather cord and he leans casually on his trident.

Discord Tag #4097

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Before we go in, I just need to know what kind of general attitude 682 presents upon interaction, whether it has provided any clues, no matter how minor, in previous interactions as to its nature, and if there are any specific type of questions it responds most to, and how. I think that as much information as possible would serve us well in determining the best way to approach the situation."

28. - Top - End - #28

Sanders took in the questions one by one, tapping a stack of papers against the podium from which she spoke, as if delaying her response. You notice a slight tremble in her fingers when she puts down the paper and responds. In fact, all of the researchers in the room seem agitated, nervous as all get out. "Well, Agent Rhodes, in that event, you are authorized to terminate 682, if possible. Frankly, if we could have killed it before now, we would have. I would, however, recommend against engaging it directly. In the event 682 breaches containment, I would advise falling back until backup arrives."

"As far as proverbial 'big brothers' are concerned... we can really only hope for the best. 682 doesn't seem to have loyalty to anything or anyone but -"
    Sanders was suddenly cut off by the blare of klaxons coming from elsewhere in the base. Her eyes widen, and she is suddenly deeply engrossed in an earpiece heretofore hidden by her hair. ""Don't tell me... ok, that's something at least..."

Colin, Rory
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognize the pattern of the blaring alarms as one of the coded emergency situations from the manual. It took a moment to recall, as you haven't heard this one before, but eventually the meaning comes to you: Containment Breach.

Others
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognize the blaring alarms as code for a particular emergency situation, but it isn't one you've heard before, so the meaning escapes you.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Colin lept to his feet, pushing his chair out from beneath him. "Sanders, how do I get to the weapons locker from here? I don't have my sword."
    Last edited by kornwiser; 2012-11-06 at 10:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Thaddeus Rhodes

Thaddeus stood and opened his rather large briefcase with a series of sharp movements, revealing the one-handed, broad-blade axe, a labrys, that had been concealed within. "That code signal. I'm unfamiliar with it. What happened?" he demanded imperiously.

Spoiler
    Show