New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Unearthing Secrets, Part 1 - Just Deserts

Your ship, a sturdy galleon, has arrived at the metropolis called Dholmaant several hours ago, yet none of you had been given permission to leave the ship. The captain of the Wind Mate is currently in one office or the other, explaining the purpose of your expedition.

While the journey has been mostly boring - not counting the one encounter with a curious water elemental - the metropolis stretching out before you is nothing short of amazing. Sure, there are a few really big cities back home, too, but not like this.

A low wind brushes the waves and makes the ship in the natural harbor move up and down a little faster. It is warm, but not hot, but then, you are not in the desert yet. The First Mate of the ship is out and about trying to find you a smaller "shore creeper" as he calls it, to carry you along the coast closer to your destinated excavation area, but despite being friendly and seemingly welcoming, the population here also seems a bit dense towards your wishes, or maybe they are just pretending not to understand. You mostly see different sorts of elves, humans and halflings - or hobbits as they go by here - and mixes thereof, with the occassional gnome, as far as you can see. A few of those are probably from or close from the desert, but as this is a new land, you can't really be sure.

An official looking dark skinned elf, dressed in a washed out blue robe, red worn out boots and a strange, round hat with stains on it purposefully strides up the gangway. A small book in hand, and a strange looking pencil behind his left ear, he smiles at you widely and says something in so thick an accent it is barely recognizable in elvish to those who speak or at least have heard the language.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    In the village where the heroes came from, with a kobold attack.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Unearthing Secrets, Part 1 - Just Deserts

Cali Denout stood off to the side, watching the people on the ship with little interest. Though certainly relieved to have finally arrived at Dholmaant, the half-elven woman had never been one to get involved in matters she had no skill in. After all, she had been hired for for her deft hands and useful knowledge, not because she was of any particular use in social situations - let the expedition leader handle the officials.

She turned her gaze towards the metropolis, and wiped a lock of red hair out of her face. The port city was certainly different from her squalid home. The unfamiliarity both unsettled and excited her, on one hand offering plenty of new opportunities to explore and learn and discover, while still feeling just about out of her league.

She allowed herself a small smile before setting off to look for her companions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

As Jing gets off the boat, still a little sick from the voyage, some fop elf comes up to her and starts badgering her about some newspaper in a completely unintelligible accent. She plants her feat and tries to keep her voice calm.
    <Elven>I don't give a damn about your stupid paper. Especially if you can't even speak a language I understand.
    And with that she stalks past him.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imryn has somehow found a chair which hasn't been nailed to the decks of the cabins, and moved it abovedeck. Now he is sitting in it, studying the city intently, carefully balancing the parasol he bought before they set out on the journey to protect him from the sun. His blonde hair is ruffled by the wind, but after several days on the seas it is getting quite saturated with salt and grease, if only the imbecile captain of the ship could get the paperwork in order so that they could go ashore! Imryl can't wait to get ashore, and starting collecting information about this mostly unknown continent. Oh, and a bath in something that isn't seawater is going to be quite nice too.

Lost in thought, he doesn't even notice the darkskinned elf entering the ship, until he hears him speak in some very broken elvish, and Jing replying something about a paper. Deciding that it is probably just more useless beuracracy, Imryl goes back to studying the city, looking for any distinct landmarks, trying his best to ignore the talking near the gangplank.
    "In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Akkad

Akkad sits on the edge of the abandoned crows nest looking over the city, his legs dangling free. It would be good to be off this ship and off the sea. He was born on land and land is where he belongs.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

With an air of just being insulted, the dark skinned elf mumbles more in his weird dialect and continues up the plank until he jumps off onto the ship. The dwarf cook, who had been eyeing the new arrival suspiciously, steps up to him. "Can't come on here without the captain's permission," he says very slowly, in case the man's common is as bad as his elvish accent.

A blank stare from the elf seems to mean that indeed the dwarf isn't understood. With a sigh, the cook grabs the elf's elbow and steers the protesting man off the ship again.

At the end of the plank, Jing is stopped by a grim looking pair of halfling guards, but at this moment, the captain hurries towards the ship, holding up several documents for the halflings to see. "It's ok, we have permission now!"

While the halflings study the papers, the captain grins at Jing. "Unbelievable as it is, almost no one speaks common again. Seems their version of common is different in each area, and an old elven accent is what's used most of the time. Took them abo9ut half an hour to even get the idea that they might need a spell to understand me!"
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Izz al-Din Fahri Sala

Awed by the sheer size of Dholmaant, and the beauty of its structures, Sala mostly ignores the strange elf and his strange speech, content to take in the sights of this new land. Let the bureaucrats handle the bureaucracy. I'm certainly not here to deal with that, nor am I equipped to. As the monk pushes past the dark elf and is stopped by the halfling guards, and the elf is stopped by the cook, Sala sighs and turns to Izaro, his dapple gray mare. He addresses her in Ignan, a language passed down through the elven side of his family for generations, though none were quite sure how they came to know it originally.

*Izaro* Calm. We'll be there soon. Wherever it is.

To Sala's relief, before either situation escalates, the captain returns. His good-naturedness reassures the ranger, who is eager to get on their way.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Wonderful. They don't even speak properly here. That is going to make this expedition a pain.
    Jing is clearly in one of her usual bad moods. She glares at the halflings, then at the captain.
    So, since that is taken care of, can we go?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, you are free to go now. I don't think any boat is going down the coast anytime soon though, something about whale mating season." The captain shruggs his shoulders and grins. "But the First Mate says from what he found out, their street system is quite good - up to a point." The captain's eyes follow the dark skinned elf down the docks. "Ah yes, that must be the... reporter I was told about. Seems people here are so bored they want to know every little thing happening in the city. My guess is it won't be a favorable note about us, then."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Cali joined the wild man and the not-so-little archer girl by the captain, looking bored but ready. The elvish reporter had been sent away rather rudely by Jing, though Cali thought the situation could have been handled better. Not like it was likely to matter; the favor of a local newspaper didn't seem particularly important to the success of their expedition.

At least they'd finally gotten permission to leave the ship. Now it was just a matter of waiting for the others to show up, and they could finally get down to business.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seeing that the rest of the party is getting ready to leave the ship, Imryn stands up and joins them.

"So, the papers are finally in order. It was about time!"
    "In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players

12. - Top - End - #12

Akkad

Akkad smiles, amused by the activity below. After a few minutes of watching he decides it is times and climbs part way down and then drops to the deck below with a smile on his face.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The smell of fish and strange spices drift over the docks, and street vendors try to peddle their wares from many streets and alleys going off the main harbor. The mix of people of different races is as versatile here as it is back home; just that they wear different styles of clothing - some loose garments probably showing that the owner comes from a warm area, and some in leather and wool likely meaning the wearer comes from the cooler zones. The latter folks are mostly seen with rolled up and bound up sleeves and legs, and many people, no matter their likely origins, have decided to wear as little clothing as possible. This results in some very unlikely outfits. An archer guard standing on a raised platform looking over the water leans against a support with bare chest, short pants and only slippers, while his hands and arms are protected by leather up to the shoulders. Whatever he is smoking smells sweet and slightly intoxicating. A female elf guide leads a group of very outlandish looking, sweating gnomes (their multilayered, wildly colored cloaks and vests definitely denoting a new arrival) through the harbor to one of the major alleyways. She wears nothing but a colorful, bejeweled bra-like garment and a short skirt. Her legs are in strange looking simple boots with steel caps, which seems very at odds with the rest of her wear. Such an abundant display of skin would probably be seen as indecent in most of your baronies. Such strange mixes of styles can be seen a lot, especially among the gnomes and halflings.

Most people pay no attention to you, but a few throw curious glances, politely trying not to stare.

(Perception check for everyone coming off the ship)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Jing sees an elderly gnome watching the group as they get off the ship, and she quickly maneuvers towards him.
    What the hells are you looking at, little man?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sala's ears perk up at the captain's words. Whales? I wonder if we can see them. Hopeful that he can, he pats Izaro on the nose and exits the ship, immediately entranced by the unusual people and their revealing dress.

16. - Top - End - #16

Akkad

Akkad follows the group, amused by their responses and reactions. He tips his head towards Jing. "A little sensative are we? Or just spoiling for a fight?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not exactly ready for trouble, especially considering the short time they've been here, Sala approaches the monk and the fighter. He shrugs at Akkad and says, Jing, come on, hoping she recognizes the sense of urgency with which he speaks. Leave him, at least for now. He gestures to a thin dwarf twirling a chain at a nearby booth, eyeing the group expectantly. He looks like he might be able to help us. Shall we?
    Last edited by smerdyakov; 2014-07-13 at 12:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnome pretends to not have heard you, sitting up a bit straighter like someone trying to ignore an impolite stranger. His eyes are now out on the water.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Jing glares at the gnome for a moment, before turning to join Sala.
    Are you making fun of me, Akkad? Do you really think that's a good idea right now?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

20. - Top - End - #20

Akkad

Akkad nods and grins slightly. "Certainly seems like I am. I think it makes a lot more sense than shouting out challenges at the natives."
    Last edited by Smileybastard; 2014-07-13 at 03:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Jing looks like shes about to try and punch Akkad, but stops herself. She takes a few deep breathes.
    Your right. I guess I was just on edge. You saw me out there the entire trip,head over the rails. Then we finally get in and some elf gets in our way. I really was just looking for a fight. I apologize.
    She gives him a slight bow.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sala shakes his head, unsure how to react to his companions, and simply walks toward the chain-twiddling dwarf. He has one thing on his mind. Hello. Do you know where we can see the whales?

23. - Top - End - #23

Akkad

Akkad tips his head in return. "I would expect no less from you if I was acting that way. It has been a long trip and tried us all."

Akkad smiles at Jing. "You'll do just fine, we can watch each others backs."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Jing gives him a small smile in return.
    I hope you're right.
    She chuckles as Sala asks the dwarf about whales.
    And here I would have thought we'd all be tired of the sea and its denizens.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

25. - Top - End - #25

Akkad

"I hear whales are pretty remarkable, but as we can't even travel that way due to them, I doubt we will be able to see them. Me, I'm just happy to have my feet on the ground."

Akkad looks at Jing's bow. "I take it, you are good with that?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

She nods.
    Top of the class. Got kicked out of the monastery for hunting at night.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sala is momentarily embarrassed at his lack of focus. Oh, yes. I suppose we've other concerns above whales. My interest got away from me. It's just I've, uh, never seen one. Perhaps soon.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf smiles widely, revealing splendid teeth. Just now you notice what's so strange about his face. The left half has no beard; instead the long beard from the right side is wrapped over the left side in tiny braids and then fixed to a weird looking earring. "Whales, eh?" He asks in a surprisingly clear common. "Only way t'see them this time o'year is from t'shore side. But rumor has it yer planning t'go south anycase. If yer lucky, you'll see them. An' hear them, too. They sing, ya see. A really wonderous thing t'behold."

Then he gives a short bow. "Name's Margolon Raderik Rightbeard. I happen t'have overheard yer First Mate asking 'round fer someone t'take ya desert-bound 'fore some tidwit convinced him t'try out t'local ale. Not much t'try, mind ya, but then ye mightta been outta ale fer a while out there." He vaguely points out to sea. "Anycase, I'm a good guide, one o't'best, an' free fer hire, too."
    Last edited by Grimtina; 2014-07-13 at 07:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Jing's eyes narrow.
    Now, why is it that your services are free?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

30. - Top - End - #30

Akkad

Akkad looks at the dwarf as if he is about to hear a grand tale of fish proportions. "I would like to hear about these free services myself."