New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Ever awakes and gathers his belongings. He is in good spirits after a night outdoors.

"Beautiful mornin'."

He appreciates the thieves' offer, as he'd like to travel light. A heavy pack gets in the way of climbing and sneaking. He decides to leave behind a sack with some of his easily replaceable equipment, with a gruff "Thank ya."

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[4] -- obviously, to see if the thieves seem trustworthy with their gear
    I plan to leave behind a sack, a tent, 2 torches, and 15 sling bullets. If anyone needs more bullets, let me know.
    EDIT: and clearly, Ever doesn't suspect a thing, so I've edited the post to indicate as much. Also, my character sheet reflects what he's actually carrying now.
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-12-04 at 05:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you!" Athedru said, gratefully accepting the tea, though he choked a little at the strong taste.

"You know...I don't think you're bad people. After all, you brewed us tea without us asking..."

Dreev rolled its eyes as it stays perched on Athedru's shoulder.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

Devka refuses the tea with a grunt and a shake of his head. Choosing, instead, to make sure that his axe is ready to take it's share of blood for the day.
    Got to keep 'er clean, not that i'm allowed to cleave some skulls with her though

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin looks apprehensive over the course of breakfast, reflecting on where he is and why and how he got dragged into this. He speaks minimally, and stands up as soon as his food is finished. "Well? Are we doing this?" he asks.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground

Devka stands up at Graorin's question, "Aye, as soon as possible"
    He hefts his axe onto his shoulder and looks around at his compainons still seated.

6. - Top - End - #336

BlackDragon

furious Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Ever shoulders his pack and stands at the ready, holding his spear with the haft pressed to the ground.

"Ready! ... Uh... What's the plan, again?"

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Longeye pauses over his tea to let you know his own plans, "Me an' the lads, we'll stay up 'ere and guard the mules. I'll come keep an eye out at what you're up to. It don't matter if you drives 'em off or kills 'em but if I sees any runnin' I'm a gonna let 'em go lest I can put a bolt through 'em safely. Deal?" He doesn't really wait for you to agree or disagree but continues regardless, "So, how are you gonna approach this?"
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338

BlackDragon

Ever looks at the others. He knows they mapped out a plan, but they talked about so many options.. He can't remember what the group decided.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

A map of the cove area for you. On the left are the wooden steps down to the beech and on the left is a bridge. You can see on the beech a woman fishing by hand and two dogs on pacing back and forth on the sand. The boat is upturned at H1 and H2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin surveys the area and frowns. "Anyone see anybody but that woman? Only one person, I might as well just walk up and say hi." It's the plan he rejected yesterday - but then, yesterday, there was nobody (conscious) around but the dogs.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, there's the dogs" Athedru whispered, even though there probably wasn't any need to.

"Be careful, Graorin!" he said, in response to his suggestion.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin winces. He was really, really hoping somebody would offer up an alternative plan.

He waits for a few seconds in case one is in the offing, then gets up with a sigh. "Anyone good with thrown weapons, I'd really, really like you to have them ready just in case."

And with that, he prepares to cast Calm Animals, heads for the stairs, and begins to descend.

"Good morning!" he calls out to the woman, in Common, with as much false cheer as he can muster. If the dogs look like they're about to start attacking or barking madly he'll cast the spell as soon as he is within range.
    Last edited by Avi235&258; 2012-12-10 at 02:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

You have to repeat yourself for the woman to hear you over the noise of the ocean. When she does hear you pauses in confusion for a moment before yelling at the dogs to attack. Wading out of the water she tries to run back to the cave entrance. The large hounds bound over to Graorin, barking and snarling but his spell stops them in their tracks.

The woman is tall, around 6 feet, and is carrying a wooden club, an old table leg by the look of it. She's wearing a simple dress of brown cloth. It looks like an old sack that's been cut up and used to make a dress. She's very thin which makes her large, scared hands seem all the larger. Several other scars and burns are visible on her arms. The water is slowing her down and she gets barely 10 feet before you calm the dogs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative for the woman (1d20+2)[6]
    Initiative for the dogs just in case more than a minute passes
    1 (1d20+2)[12]
    2 (1d20+2)[18]
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin holds up both hands to demonstrate that he has no ill intentions. "Wait!" he calls out, heading towards her, scratching one of the dogs behind the ears as he passes by. "Can I talk to you?"

If the woman continues running for the cave, he'll shrug and ignore her, and try to speak to the dogs while they're still calm so they'll hopefully be friendly to him even after the spell wears off. Wild Empathy: (1d20-1)[3]

If the woman attacks, he'll ignore the dogs and pull out his quarterstaff in total defense mode.

If the woman converses with him, he'll converse back.

15. - Top - End - #345

BlackDragon

When Graorin asks the group about thrown weapons, Ever pipes in. "I can help." As the druid starts for the stairs, Ever follows him, staying close behind him unless Graorin signals for him to hold back. He slides his spear into its holster on his belt, ready to grab whichever weapon he needs at a moment's notice.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's up to Avi whether I am walking beside him or hanging back. If I stay with him, I'll also try to be friendly with the dogs.
    Wild Empathy: (1d20+1)[3]
    EDIT: we're great with dogs...
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-12-10 at 11:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Having packed his belongings, leaving a sack of the heavy, low-value, items behind, Ben follows behind Graorin and Ever keeping his distance. He holds his sling in his hand so as to look less threatening.

Ben is wary of the dogs, having had bad experiences in the past.

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative roll (1d20+4)[20]
    Spot Check (to learn more about the Woman) (1d20+1)[6]
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-12-10 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Ret-conned based on Avi's comment OOC
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

17. - Top - End - #347
    Orc in the Playground

Devka sees Ever go with Graorin and, after a moments thought, follows Ever.
    I doubt the woman could do anything but the dogs might be dangerous...
    He stands next to Ever and keeps his hand on the hilt of one of his daggers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Init: (1d20+4)[8]

18. - Top - End - #348

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[13]

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru also squeaked in alarm when the dogs barked, but Dreev stepped in, pecking him quickly to remind him to be quiet. Steadying his nerves, he hunkers down instead, and steadies his crossbow at the lady.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[19]

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

The woman runs into the cave yelling something that sounds like names, "Ulf, Alexander, Farah." She keeps yelling unintelligibly (as least to the non-Common speakers) as runs into the cave.

For Graorin (no peeking)
    Spoiler
    Show
    As she enters the cave mouth you clearly hear her add, "They've found us, the masters have come to take us back, we're doomed. Kari, Thorkatla, pray to your gods, we're done for."

The dogs sit passively as you pet and fuss them. One even plops down and starts licking himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin blinks. He wasn't expecting that. He just shrugs and lets the woman get on with whatever she's doing in the cave, and keeps his attention on the dogs.

If the dogs remain calm when the spell wears off, he calls up to the party, "You can come down now!"

If the dogs revert to attacking behavior when the spell wears off, he casts his second prepared Calm Animals and calls up to the party, "I need help here!"

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Having gotten used to your presence over the last minute the dogs stay where they are when the spell expires but when the halflings starts climbing down the stairs they begin to bark.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353

BlackDragon

Ever climbs carefully down the stairs, still prepared to grab any of his weapons if the need arises.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Ever didn't come down yet, as he was awaiting Graorin's signal. Are we in initiative order? Ever moves when he can based on his initiative.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Under the assumption that the dogs are trained to sit, as they were evidently trained to attack on command, Graorin makes an effort to calm them. "Down!" he says in Common, followed by as many synonyms for the word as he can think of:
    Handle Animal: (1d20+0)[14]

If the dogs at any point look like they're on the verge of attacking the halflings, he'll cast the spell to calm them again.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

The dogs sit at your first command. They look much more ferocious than they actually are, which is mainly due to their size. The others make their way down to join you.

From the shadows of the caves a voice calls out, first in common and then in heavily accented and halting halfling, "Is name be Alexander. Is leader of group. Leave or is killing you." A man of about 7 and a half feet in height, a giant to any of you, walks out onto the sand, his arms are bulging with muscles and he has tusks jutting out from his lower jaw. In his massive hand is a short dagger. The creature is wearing no armour but his hide looks thick enough even without it.

As he advances a human with a longbow and no armour walks beside him and another, an unarmoured woman with a crossbow, takes up the other flank. Their clothing is stained with salt and very dirty but they appear to know how to handle their weapons.

Spoiler
    Show
    For Ever only
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is something wrong with the appearance of the large figure in the centre. The voice doesn't fit the body, it's too high and not booming or intimidating enough. The weapon is far too small for it as well. Finally the shadow cast by the morning sun doesn't fit it.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356
    Orc in the Playground

Devka looks this, 'Alexander', up and down. He takes in the man's features and carefully studies him, trying to weigh up his intentions. We may not be able to avoid a fight here, he thinks with glee. He double checks he can quickly retrieve his axe incase of a fight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive (1d20+2)[8]

27. - Top - End - #357

BlackDragon

Ever carefully stares at the man in the center. He quietly speaks to his comrades, but he's unsure what to say, even more unsure than normal. "Some trick... not really tall... look at shadow."

He has no idea how the man is doing it, and that's scary enough, but he immediately thinks of animal behavior. Animals make themselves appear bigger in order to intimidate and scare off potential enemies.

Showing fear will only strengthen their resolve. Ever takes his spear and holds it in a nonthreatening position, a gesture of defense rather than a threat. He prepares to sidestep any weapons that come his way.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still not sure if we're supposed to be in initiative order at this time. Ever draws his spear and takes the Total Defense action, AC is 21 for 1 round. Ever should be standing in the front half of the group.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    The initiative order was for the fight with the woman, who you didn't end up fighting. Please ignore it now.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin takes a step back instinctively when the giant comes out of the cave. But when Ever says that there's some trick here, he looks puzzled.

At least the maybe-not-a-giant speaks halfling, which means somebody else can take the lead in trying to reason with him. Graorin's not good with people.

He instinctively glances towards Ben, who seems to be the one in the party with the most initiative (personality-wise, that is).

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst is not sure what to make of the unfolding scene, but finds a good hiding spot twenty feet from the mouth of the cave. He readies his crossbow and hides out of sight, ready to strike when necessary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide roll:(1d20+12)[30]
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!