New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Devka gives a curt nod to Ever in return. He returns his attention to Graorin and the other giant and silently listens to them. He keeps getting distracted, however, with the worry that Ben's going to involve Ever in something he doesn't entirely understand.
    Finally giving up on trying to listen he looks down at the paterns his friend made and tries to make sense of them.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

With Ever beside him, happy that the no-nonsense halfling is along for the discussion as things seem to have always gone well in those circumstances in the past, Ben heads to the top of the cliffs to meet the two they left up there.

"There will be no bloodshed today, we are returning to town with one of the humans so she may see that we are a friendly people. When she is sure I have been telling the truth we will return and make arrangements for the others to leave with us and return to town so that you can have your cave back; but I will only discuss the details with Gem.

Ever will stay here with you whilst I gather the rest, I didn't want any misunderstandings when we all came up together. I shall return in a few minutes, it would be appreciated if you could make ready for us all to depart."
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

"Hurm, well I s'pose that's better 'n killing 'em all, init?" Longeye looks over your shoulder warily, waiting for the giant to come into sight, "I'll get the lads to break camp."

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know if you want to do anything before getting back to Bridge. If not we'll skip ahead.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Returning to Bridge the next morning the smugglers leave you about five miles from the walls with a gruff, "We'll take this to Gem."

By the time you arrive at the walls there is a small crowd. The gate guard is a young woman, small even for a halfling, and wearing armour too big for her. She carries a short spear and nervously advances to block your way. "S-stop there. Reinforcements are o-on the way. J-just wait there."

Astrid is possibly more nervous than the guard "This is a bad idea. I knew it. We should run before more of them arrive."
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ever is confused by the halfling woman's actions, but then he remembers the first time he saw Graorin. "She's ... uh... 'nother friendly giant. ... Uh... essscaped slave. On our side." His words trip him up, as usual, but the dim-witted halfling is very reassuring in his expression and tone.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Sensing a need to pour oil on troubled waters, Ben steps to the front of the group. He positions himself in clear view of the crowd so as to address them all without imposing on the guard.

Spreading his arms, to make it obvious that he is addressing averyone, "People of Bridge, when we first arrived in your fair town we brought with us our friend Graorin. Many of you were wary of him then, but through his actions with our group in slaying Old Claws, keeping you and your children safe, you have come to accept him to your community.

We set out the other day, from your fair town, to investigate rumours of big people in a cave nearby, suspected as the start of a potential invasion. Through our investigations we did indeed discover big people in the caves, but through talking to them we found that they are not the first part of an invading army, but merely former slaves who have escaped their captors and feld to the safety of our islands. They look for nothing more than to live a peaceful life free from the persecution of the oppressive empire that held them.

We small people, and particularly the good people of this town, have a well-deserved reputation of hospitality and welcomeness. These people have come to our islands for protection from people that would seek to hold them captive and make them work as slaves; they did not impose themselves on us, but tried to eek out an existence for themselves in a quiet part of our islands which brought them in to contact with one of our trading groups."
    Ben keeps a straight face at this comment, indicating vaguely in the direction of the water tower.
    Spoiler
    Show
    bluff check [roll]1d20+7[/roll]
    hoping for a slight chuckle from at least part of the crowd.

"I have returned to town with one of the group, so that she may meet some of you and see for herself that we are a kind and welcoming people who mean them no harm. This is Astrid, she has been forcibly separated from her family and made to work for a wicked master who kept her starved and weak. She and a number of her friends managed to escape, although not all of survived to make landfall here. We have discussed some of the ways in which the community here, and wider across the islands as a whole, might benefit from work performed by our new friends, and she is keen to discuss with some of you ways that this could happen so that all of her group might earn their keep and settle amongst us. Imagine the benefits to our businesses from having big people working in them; people who are not only twice as big but twice as sturdy and strong as the average member of our population.

Who here, would deny people shelter, food, and employment with which to support their family? You have already accepted Graorin to your community and your hearts; I say that Astrid is no different and she is keen to prove it to you all.

Will you really keep us outside the town, without the very shelter and food being sought? Would you really deny these people your famed hospitality? Are you really so scared of the fabled "big people" that you are unwilling to extend the hand of friendship?"

Ben stands, slightly short of breath due to the ferver with which he has been speaking, in an open manner hoping to keep the crowd on side.
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2013-01-29 at 05:43 AM.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

Ever's objections are sadly ignored. Though he means well the crowd aren't interested in listening to such direct speech.

Young Ben's oratory is taken much better though, even as he launches into it he notices several men and women nodding along and by the time he's finished a half dozen halflings are walking across the sand with blankets and gifts of food.

It isn't much later that a group of guards arrive with the merchant council. They pick up on the changed mood quickly and one of the merchants approach to ask how many giants there are and what sort of work they can do. Astrid is quick to point out that they're a disparate bunch, she herself is a painter, an artist, but that they have hunters, smiths, warriors, even a monk.

The halflings don't seem surprised that she speaks their language until she mentions that only a few of them do. It seems as if some of the halflings hadn't even considered that there were other languages.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin wisely stays silent throughout Ben's speech. The halflings think he set out to attack Old Claws - let them continue thinking that. The halflings think he has any desire to be 'accepted' in their community - let them continue thinking that.

The halflings may have accepted him into their hearts, but he hasn't accepted them into his. The indignity of being dragged to court in a cage is still fresh in his mind, as is the indignity of nearly being sliced in two.

But he stays silent, and stays close to Valerius, and puts a fake smile on his face for the benefit of the crowd, and goes with the flow. At some point he'll be free to go back to his cave system and the forest around it. Until then...

9. - Top - End - #429

BlackDragon

Even Ever finds his heartstrings pulled by Ben's speech. It helped that there wasn't any trickery involved; it was a passionate, reasoned appeal for the wisest course of action. Whereas previously his reaction was mostly confusion at the ordeal, Ben's speech fit the pieces together, between Graorin's bravery taking on Old Claws, to the mission at the cave, to these poor slave-giants. This was the reason he set out--to see what can be done about the slavers.

Moved by compassion, Ever pulls out some hackgold and gives it to Astrid. "Get what you need... Safe now." He smiles warmly, patting her elbow as she reaches down to take the money.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ever gives her (8d4)[19] gp.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru seemed rather distracted during the speech; his mind was not on what Ben was saying; he was looking intently at Graorin instead. Being friends for so long, he could tell a fake smile when he saw one, and he felt a mixture of feelings. Worry. Sadness. Guilt.

After wringing his hands for awhile, he discreetly stepped next to his human friend, and whispered quietly, so only Graorin could hear his question.

"Do you...still blame me?"

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

wink Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Ben steps forward to the diminutive guard and says,

"Young lady, I want to thank you for giving us this chance to bring our friends' plight to the attention of the townsfolk; without your help we might have been days trying to get an audience with the Merchant Council!"

He reaches out to shake her warmly by the hand, and pulls her in close for a friendly embrace and whispers,

"keep smiling kid, I know you were just doing your job and had been told to keep us out; don't worry you won't get in to trouble with anyone for this, we're all friends now! If somebody does try anything though you come and find us, anything I can't talk your way out of my friends over there can fight through to get you out. Who knows, perhaps now is the time for a little trip on a boat leaving the city? Why not come along with us?"

Ben releases her and gives her a friendly pat on the shoulder,

"We'll leave you to keep the town safe, keep up the good work!"
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2013-02-01 at 03:28 PM.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin looks a bit surprised at Athedru's question, and swiftly shakes his head. "No," he says. "At them," with a nod towards... well, the particular people who almost got him killed aren't around at the moment, but he hopes his meaning gets through.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

A little later you find yourself back at the Dead Man's Rest. Halflings are plying you with drinks and food and quizzing you and Astrid on all that you know about the giants. The Merchant Council find you at some point and question Astrid eventually agreeing to provide loans for those who want to to set up businesses in Bridge or to be hired as workers if that isn't what they want. The terms seem quite generous.

The next morning, while those of you who are awake are having breakfast, a liveried servant in silver and grey finds you at your table. With a bow he presents a scroll to you before backing away to the other side of the room. Unravelling it you read the following:

Gentlefolk and Giants,

You are cordially invited to take evening repast with Lord Calkin Cotsman at Stilt Manor in Northern Bridge today. Your acknowledgement may be carried by the bearer of this message.

Kind regards.

CC

The servant waits to be beckoned before returning to the table side.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434

BlackDragon

Ever lets someone else do the reading, and while he doesn't understand all of the big words, he catches the general drift of the message. "So a fancy dinner? Sounds like... a good time!"

He is in good spirits with his new friends.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin, of course, doesn't look happy. "Aren't we supposed to be leaving soon?"

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"My, my; it would appear we are going up in the world, an invitation to a banquet; I haven't had one of those, that I hadn't somehow obtained, for a long time. We aren't leaving Bridge just yet, we're waiting for Gem to tell us when his boat is ready; I see no harm in having a little social activity whilst we wait." he says to the group, and if his lordship wants to woo us with gifts so much the better Ben thinks to himself.
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2013-02-05 at 07:16 AM.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I do, Graorin thinks to himself, but keeps his peace.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

"Do you want a drink?" Athedru asked the servant as he read the paper, his eyes widening as he read the contents of the message.

"A...Lord? I've never been to one before...what's the social etiquette? Do they use many many spoons and forks like I've heard? Do you have to walk in a certain way? What do we wear? What does Graorin wear? I don't think it's easy to tailor make a set of fancy clothes for him..." he mused, mostly addressing his questions to Ben, since he mentioned he had been to at least one before.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Devka nods in agreement with Ben and Ever, It could be fun, though I have never been good at occasions.

Probably just interested in using Graorin and his kind to gain ranking among his peers. I sincerly hope they don't involve me, I have little patience for that game.

Upon hearing Athedru fretting about the 'etiquette' as he calls it, Devka frowns. He'd forgotten how complicated all these things could be.

20. - Top - End - #440

BlackDragon

"Many forks and spoons? ... Why need.. umm.. why more'n one?"

The concept of high-class dining is foreign to Ever; he doesn't realize anyone would expect him to dress up nice just to eat. A meal is a meal. Sure, he's seen fancy halflings before, but only in his world, not theirs.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeking to reassure his simple minded friend Kevst chimes in, "Don't worry pal, you only need one fork. I'll get rid of the rest of your silverware for you..."
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

The liveried servant approached Athedru as he questions him about a drink, "Thank you, Sir, but I don't require anything. Shall I take your response to my Lord of Stilt or do you require some time to compose an answer?" He has that indeterminate age that a good manservant often has, neither young nor old. You notice that he's armed with a rapier at his belt. Many halflings don't see the need for weapons unless they're hunting and the inhabitants of Bridge tend to be armed with clubs that might help when fishing or daggers that are also useful to eat with.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Addressing the herald, Ben says, "You may tell your Lord that we are happy to accept his most gracious offer to attend his banquet this evening, but he will have to excuse us if we appear a little rustic as we are currently travelling far from home without access to our full wardrobes. Rest assured that we will not embarrass him in front of his other guests but our sartorial elegance is unlikely to be the topic of conversation!

We will arrive under our own arrangements, but may I ask that his Lordship make provision for returning us here at the end of the soirée?"

Allowing the herald to depart, he turns to the rest of the group and continues, "Friends, based on the attire of our visitor, and the esteem in which he holds his master I think that attending this evening may be to our advantage. Developing a powerful ally here in Bridge, especially given our recent successes with the Merchant Council, will be an asset in the future. If he can afford to clothe and equip a mere herald in such a fashion there may be additional recompense available to us for our endeavours, or at least some additional support. If we're really lucky we may be able to convince him to provide us with some additional equipment and manpower in our activities to the North.

I propose that we make the best of what limited wardrobe we have available, perhaps avail ourselves of the laundry facilities here and with a few small purchases we can transform ourselves from weary travellers to reputable men-about town. At the very least we ought each to bathe and shave.

If I can leave you to your own laundry and ablution arrangements, I will head out to see what can be obtained in this part of town to assist with our presentation in such fine company." and see what I can find out about this Lord of Stilt whilst I'm at it. "If anyone cares to accompany me I shall be leaving as soon as I have finished this snack"
    indicating nonchalantly to the apple and small beer in front of him.

a few choice items to spruce up our clothes, a little pomade to smooth a few hairs and perhaps a little unguent to give a sophisticated aroma; I'm sure I can convince some of the merchants to help us out if their wares will be seen in public.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

24. - Top - End - #444

BlackDragon

Ever quietly listens to the mellifluous waterfall of unintelligible syllables pouring from Ben's mouth. At its conclusion, he turns to Devka, with his confused expression even more pronounced than usual. "Something about... a bath?"

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

Devka is also confused with alot of the words that the bard uses. He leans in to Ever and pauses before saying, "Yes... A bath, a shave and fancy clothes i think. Alot of trouble for a party."

His brain is working hard on what he should do to try and make sure that he doens't botch Ben's plan through apathy. My armor is a bit torn... I guess i could fix that

To ben he says a simple, "I'll go with you"

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

When it comes to Ben's sesquipedalian loquaciousness, Graorin is less 'confused' and more 'wondering why Ben's still talking to us like we were the herald'. He's of slightly below average intelligence, so he managed to follow... most of what Ben said. He grunts in acknowledgement of Ben's series of suggestions. Waste of time, if you ask him, but nobody's asking him. We should just be getting on that damn boat and leaving. Oh well. He'll cooperate.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst listens to Ben's words and suddenly becomes aware of the grimey, tattered street rat clothes he has been wearing this whole time. He's long since stopped noticing, but he wouldn't be surprised if he smelled quite bad as well. With all his life struggling just to eat his appearance has never been a concern. In fact, nice flashy clothes is the last thing he wanted. His survival always depended on staying unseen.

But, contrary to all his life experience, it seemed to him that at a fancy dinner party the best way to remain unseen and blend in is to dress up. Kevst thrust his hand into his pocket, feeling the coins and determining from their size and weight the amount he had he realized he didn't have enough for a new set of clothes.

"Well," he thought to himself, "lacking money has never stopped me from getting something before..."
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben thinks to himself:Nothing too flash, or out of character, we still need to be ourselves just a well presented version of ourselves. Ever's a practical, no-nonsense kinda guy, I think perhaps some tooled leatherwork, maybe a nice belt? Devka would look striking with a pelt from an exotic animal as a sash, I wonder what we can find?

Graorin and Astrid pose a size problem, so anything for them would either need to be produced bespoke or something that isn't sized; our longest cloaks may make a dashing cape for Graorin, and perhaps I can just find a necklace for Astrid?

Kevst might suit a brightly coloured jacket, or perhaps a hat; it doesn't look like the kid has ever had anything that didn't belong to someone else first.

Which just leaves Athedru and me. Athedru looks like a man who would appreciate something like an amulet, or perhaps a fine scroll case.

As for me, I'm sure something will turn up in town!

Ben finishes his snack, nods to Devka and prepares to leave. Not intending to get in to any trouble, but wary of going out unprotected, he leaves his backpack and most of his equipment behind taking only the fine dagger at his belt and his empty backpack with which to carry his wares; and of course his sling looped through his belt (who ever heard of a Halfling that didn't carry his sling?). Whilst sorting out his equipment he misses Kevst's self assessment of personal liquidity and so remains unaware of his intentions to procure his own items.

"We have a few hours, just enough time for us all to use the local bath-house, barbers etc and get the worst stains out of our clothes. I'll ask the landlady to send someone up to collect anything that may need repairing to send out."

Ben heads downstairs to find the landlady to make the arrangements he outlined. He asks that she also provide his friends with directions to the local bath-house, and perhaps some soap and that she gently remind them to get a move on if they tarry to long.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy roll to get the landlady on side with the plan (1d20+7)[10]
    that should be a +8 not a +7, I forgot we levelled up!

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    How do we do the shopping part, do we RP it, do we take it as read that Ben finds what he wants, or do you want a skill check or two?
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2013-02-08 at 11:22 AM.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

While you are out shopping the very thin Gem, sidles up behind Ben and gently taps his arm. He walks away soon after but not before whispering, "Good work. Looks like the giants will be out of our cave in under a week. I'll contact you again before your transport is available."
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Noting the look in Kevst's eyes, he sided over to him, and grins slightly.

"Can I come along for your 'shopping' spree?"

Being Kevst's friend for so long, he's grown rather used to the halfling's thieving ways, feeling it as a kind of thrill that even the weak and feeble can experience. As long as it's someone who doesn't need it too much...