New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Devka's eyes start to faintly mist over in anger, anger at the people who picked on others. He had similar experiences with his brothers. They regreted it, they ALWAYS regreted it. But not all were blessed with his skill and strength. Athedru was lucky to have the giant to help him.

That poor kid, i hope his tormentors never wake

Even though Devka was violent, he didn't hurt others for no reason. His fuzzy logic could always find a reason for hurting people for more than just, "fun."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Rollin'

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[7]

Doh
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-09-11 at 01:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben continues to whisper to Kevst:
    You obviously know some of the people in the room, who are they? Are we going to be tied to something bigger here?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst whispers back, "I only know the young Athedru, he never mentioned this giant when we spoke. No doubt he felt it necessary to keep his presence a secret, I certainly understand why. Whether they kill or release the giant I can't see how it would affect us."

Kevst looked around at all the commotion, and the questions being thrown back and forth by the crowd. He winced as Athedru retold his story of bullying. It was a story Kevst had heard many times before and was familiar to his own history as well. Thinking back to his past and the fact that he very nearly got sent back to the orphanage again, Kevst felt a strong desire to get the heck out of the building before the mayor finds a new reason to flog him and throw him in chains.

He whispered to Ben once more, "Thanks again for getting me off. But of course, I have no intention of being your 'apprentice'. I work better alone."

With that Kevst walked over to the bailiff and collected his meager posessions. As he passed by Athedru on the witness stand he whispered, "Be strong my friend. I'll wait for you outside."

Then he left and found an inconspicuous place near the courthouse entrance to wait for his friend to be finished.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-09-11 at 11:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Teaching a langyage could take years my lord. I don't know if I will have time to teach people. My wish is to return home, to help the stoneshapers if they still exists. But no one seems to know my island here. Maybe I can interpret if you want to talk with the giant."

Nygdath tries to be as polite as possible, those people might be his only help.
    Last edited by Leolo; 2012-09-11 at 02:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

From Ever's standpoint, it's not clear that this giant did anything wrong at all. Still, given the news from the north, it's understandable that he was brought in. The mayor and the cleric seem to know what they're doing, so Ever patiently watches the courtly proceedings, his eyes taking in the various people present.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[15]
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-09-12 at 10:05 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Sitting outside the court house Kevst notices that a large crowd is still gathered around the door waiting to hear a verdict. Many press toward the windows and door straining to catch a glimpse of the giant man. It isn't often an event like this comes along, the whole town - indeed the whole island - is abuzz.

The large crowd whisper and gossip to each other.

"I hear the giant is a spy for the giant slavers! They are going to attack Old Alk next!"

"I saw the giant myself as he came in, he has huge teeth! Old Meekan says the giants eat Halflings!"

"Did you see that scrawny halfling following him around? Defending him? I bet the giant has magical powers and put a charm spell on him!"

"Did you hear they found him in a cave? What was it doing there? How long has it been here?"

"How long is this trial going to take? At this rate I'll be old before it is finished!"

That is a good point, Kevst thought, this trial IS taking forever.

He waited around, waiting for some sign of progress inside, but he was getting bored. Kevst was not known for his great attention span. Eyeing the large crowd pressed against each other, he realized this would be a great opportunity for him. Everyone's attention is focused on the courthouse. He could squeeze into the crowd and lift whatever he pleased! How would they tell the difference between Kevst palming some coins (or jewelry!) from their coin purse and another villager pressing up against them trying to see the giant?

Kevst can think of no better way to pass the time and celebrate his newfound freedom them to make a few coin. Better yet that Ben guy isn't around to foul things up this time.

Kevst makes several attempts to steal from the distracted crowd.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide check: (1d20+12)[23]
    Move silently check: (1d20+10)[23]
    Sleight of hand: (1d20+7)[26]
    Sleight of hand: (1d20+7)[15]
    Sleight of hand: (1d20+7)[13]
    I assume some kind of circumstance bonus for all these rolls from the crowd, but I'll leave that up to Hover to figure out.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-09-12 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Kevst managed to take a bracelet of hack silver from a gawker (1gp value) but almost gets spotted on two subsequent attempts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hack silver is the common currency of the isles. It is typically made up of bands of silver that can be broken off for payment and is often worn.

Back in the courtroom Graorin is called to identify and explain himself.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"My name is Graorin," he says. "But before I explain myself, I want to accuse THAT man of being a thief!" He points to somebody completely random in the crowd, trying to pick somebody who doesn't look prominent or important.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben looks in the direction Graorin points, just in case he recognises the target;.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot check
    [roll]1d20+1[/roll]

Relieved that he is unable to see anyone he knows being identified, I wonder what he is up to?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive
    [roll]1d20+7[/roll]

If there really is a threat from these giants, either someone will be sent to deal with them in which case I am sure I can get some of the reward for little personal danger; if I can't get involved I am sure I can pick up some benefit in the area afterwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't intend to use those rolls, just frustrating myself with what might have been! - or perhaps not!
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-13 at 11:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

A farmer who had found a bench near the front of the courtroom almost falls off it when Graorin's finger indicates that he is a thief. "What! I ain't no thief. I'm innocent. What am I s'posed to have stolen? You can't just go accusin' people of things without no evidence."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Young Ben's spot check again (1d20+1)[13]
    and sense motive (1d20+7)[13]

You didn't finish the [ /roll ] off
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

BlackDragon

An accusation from the giant was the last thing Ever was expecting. Things are starting to get a little too complicated for him. He tries to get a sense of what's going on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (Graorin): (1d20+2)[15]
    Sense Motive (farmer): (1d20+2)[12]
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-09-13 at 11:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I've got a bad feeling about this he thought to himself, a real sense of foreboding; and why do I feel like I'm about to go on a long journey?

Shaking his head slightly to clear his thoughts, Ben cranes forward slightly to better hear what the Giant has to say for himself.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Devka, suddenly suspicous of pick pockets, looks around him to see if he can spot anyone trying, or even thinking of trying, to liberate him of his possessions they can't have it, it's all mine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+2)[13]
    Sense motive (1d20+2)[4]

Then, once he makes sure no one is going to pick his pockets, and scare any of thoes that are trying, he focuses on the giant This should be good

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

In eight years Graorin hasn't talked to anybody but Athedru and his horse; he's always had problems with authority; and he was never much of a people person to begin with. So he's not even going to bother to try to get the crowd on his side. He probably wouldn't even know how if he did. Instead he seems to be trying to get as much snark in as possible before they do whatever it is they're going to do to him.

"Sure you are," Graorin says sarcastically. "We just heard about two thieves, and you're the same race they are. Isn't that enough to accuse you? Seems to be enough to accuse me." With that, he glares at the mayor, the captain, and Wain, slumps back to lean against the bars of the cell, and lapses back into silence.

16. - Top - End - #46

That's enough for Nygdath.

This man could probably give us a good explanation where he has been at the time those "robbery" has happened in this fantasy of yours.

Can you provide us an explanation as well why you are on this island? He might find friends and trustworthy members of the islands that speak for him. A wife maybe, children and a life that solids his boundary to the land.

While you might as well be a spy or a lost raider, lying for his freedom. If you want this men to trust you, don't accuse them of unfair judgment. Trust them first.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin rolls his eyes. They drag me here in a cage and this idiot expects me to trust them. He says nothing.
    Last edited by Avi235&258; 2012-09-14 at 05:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben quietly and discretely moves closer to Graorin
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[17] Used Move Silently, but Hide might also be appropriate at +8; basically I want to attempt to move across the court subtly so that he is next to the "giant"

and whispers:

"Giant, I can help you; I have a, shall we say, certain way with words. Allow me to speak for you and you shall walk away as free as I have today."

Waiting briefly for a negative response, Ben takes a deep breath and prepares to stand before the assembled masses.
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-14 at 05:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin eyes Ben dubiously. "What's in it for you?" he asks the thief. He says it low, but he's not really bothering to whisper.
    Last edited by Avi235&258; 2012-09-15 at 11:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"I believe myself a good judge of character and think that you, like I, stand wrongly accused here today; and if you are not wrongly accused I am happy to get one over the Mayor. Besides, the kid seems to know at least some of the people here and at least some of them are on your side. What do you say?"
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-15 at 01:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

BlackDragon

Ever just shakes his head at the back-and-forth accusations and whispering. This is court? He somehow had thought that proceedings in a courtroom would be more.. orderly. They were getting distracted with an accusation that had nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Waiting for a moment when no one else seemed to talk, he risked getting involved over his head.

Addressing the giant, he simply asks, "You a spy?"

Turning to the others gathered, he adds, "Did anybody see him.. uhh.. spy? Why bring him here, without.. uhh.. without reasons?"

It is a moment of clarity and wisdom for the dim-witted ranger, though his plain words lack the eloquence expected of the setting. Ever is very direct in his solutions, and spouting off words back and forth is just wasting everyone's time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need a Diplomacy roll here? If I do...
    Diplomacy: (1d20)[9]
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-09-15 at 02:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Details of the slowly unfolding court proceedings continued to filter out through the crowd. Despite the charitable concern and assistance of several onlookers, the giant continued to be hostile and uncooperative. Kevst's front row seat to many courtroom proceedings has shown him that the less cooperative the defendant the more likely a guilty sentence. Kevst may be anti-social, but he was not dumb. He knew the giant was not helping himself. Indeed the giant's counter accusation of a random farmer only further turned the crowd against him. It seemed the sullen creature was resigned to it's fate and cared little about attempting to defend itself.

Kevst trusted his friend, indeed he was the only person in this world he did trust, and he was naturally predisposed to the outsider and the abberation, so believed (or wanted to believe) in the innocence of the giant, but the giant's conduct was making it increasingly unlikely it would walk away from this town alive. The mayor must feel the pressure from the mob to convict even more accutely now then when the giant was first brought in. The more the giant refused to provide the facts, the less those facts would matter when finally revealed.

Kevst wished his friend would just wash his hands of this giant and walk away, he was doing himself no favors by continuing to defend a creature that did not care to be defended. But alas, it was not his concern, Kevst was only a bystander to the unfolding farce occuring inside. But, while a bystander, Kevst was no innocent one.

Having narrowly avoided being caught twice while pilfering the crowd, Kevst decided to try his luck elsewhere. With all the guards and people focusing their attention on the courthouse, the homes on side streets will be unguarded, unoccupied and unmonitored. He found a few that appeared to be particularly secluded. At each one he listened and watched to determine whether the house was occupied or not, and when he found one that seemed empty he picked the lock of the backdoor and snuck in.

Once inside he searched the house for all valuables. Jewelry, clothing, money, weapons, food, and anything else that would be of some use to him.

Spoiler
    Show

With the town occupied, Kevst has plenty of time to take 20 on both pick lock and search.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-09-15 at 02:37 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin shrugs. "Sure," he says. "Say your piece. Maybe they'll listen." Even if I didn't want you to, I couldn't shut you up anyhow from in here, he thinks to himself.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Standing and Gesturing towards Ever Ben addresses the Mayor"Your Honour, it seems to me that my friend here is correct, this being has been brought here based on nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time and being the wrong size. With no evidence that he has been involved in any spying activity, the only true course of action for you is to release him to continue about his business. Do we really want to be known as the sort of society where people need to be afraid of being arrested and tried based on the fears and prejudgements of those around them? This town has always been a friendly and welcoming place, I see no reason for that to change today. We should be welcoming this person to our community and learning from him not throwing him in jail or executing him."
    Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy [roll]1d20+7 [/roll]
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-15 at 04:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    try that again! Diplomacy check (1d20+7)[27]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

"Frankly Ben, I'm inclined to agree with you," mayor Tomas leans back into his chair, "it is clear that these accusations are unfounded. However I cannot see how simply releasing this giant will prove safe for him. There needs to be some kind of announcement to bind you," he turns to face Graorin, "to the community in some way."

He fiddles with his gavel while he thinks things over, "Would you consent to join a group of volunteers to investigate the presence of these giants and to determine what they want? We need to know what they are doing here and form some sort of organised defence against them."

"If you do then I can announce to the people how you have come to help us against these giants and that you aren't one of them at all." He looks over the rest of you hopefully, "We'll need others to travel with him. The isles would be willing to cover your expenses."

--

Kevst manages to find some loose jewellery in a cottage, 5gp in value, along with a matching pair of throwing daggers, 4gp in total.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"As a good citizen of this island I can hardly refuse to assist in this time of need; of course I will need to take my new apprentice along with me to ensure he keeps himself out of trouble; can I assume that the isles will cover his expenses too?

It would be foolish to set off without sufficient strength; I am a mere clerk and know little of navigation or combat and I would hate to get lost or hurt doing this; perhaps there are others of that ilk who might assist?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

After initially being bored with the slow pace of the trial, his recently obtained loot made Kevst wish the town was always this distracted. After clearing the house out of jewels and a nice pair of throwing daggers Kevst stopped back by the courthouse to wait outside for his friend to finish.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

29. - Top - End - #59

"I already know why those raiders come to your island mayor. They come to take your children away, your men and their wifes. To put them in a pit and let them dig for treasure in the darkness until they starve or are filled with madness.

They come to burn everything that you love, and when they are gone this will be a stone in the sea, lifeless and abandoned. And if you want to release this man, i will follow him. At least i might be no part of this madness that way and wait for my doom."

Nygdath is not only angry, he is passionate. He is used to speak to other man, to carry them away with his voice and convince them. But for this people he seems to be no less a stranger than the giant in the cage.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20+6)[24]

30. - Top - End - #60

BlackDragon

"I can come. I, uh.. know the wilderness. Know boats, too. And I can fight some, if fightin's called for."

Ever turns to his barbarian friend, and asks him in a low voice, "Devka, how's 'bout joinin' this.. this adventure? Could be dangerous. Could use your kind o' skills, friend. Go together, side by side?"