New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Devka perks up at the word fighting. Tired of waiting around here with in this suffocating court house, with all these other haflings, he jumps at a chance to go. he replies to ever "Yes, i'll go, i could do with bashing in some skulls"
    He speaks up so the court can hear him "I will go along with ever and who ever else's company you inflict upon me. I tire of sitting around, waiting, doing nothing."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Mayor Tomas gestures to a clerk to grabs a sheaf of paper and begins to take the names of volunteers.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

The priest steps forward and bows;

"I am Bula Mistwalker and I would be honoured to represent the Priests of the Mist."
    Last edited by Shotaro; 2012-09-18 at 08:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelik View Post
    Most arguments start something like,
    WF=Wizard Fanboy

OP: I have this idea for feat X.
    WF: Wizard pwns your build.
    *Seven page argument about Wizards winning.*
    Quoted for truth

This statement is a lie

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

"I...want to go with him. To keep him safe if nothing else." Athedru said quietly, though his statement would be at odds with his physique, for anyone that did not know of his more innate powers.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-09-18 at 08:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

With unneccessary formality, Ben faces the clerk and announces:

"As previously stated herein, for the record, I am Benjamyn Oldalk, b e n j a m Y n, merchant and freeman. I hereby pledge my support to this endeavour!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check to get away with adopting the false name:(1d20+7)[25]

A convenient new alias to adopt for the duration, formally honest to boot; if nothing else at least I have some benefit from today as well as my freedom!

Hopefully I will be able to, if not keep us out of at least, talk our way out of any trouble along the way.

Turning to Ever, Devku, Bula and Athedru in turn he says:
    "I am pleased to make your acquaintances and I am glad to find myself in the company of such fine upstanding individuals."

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy check to make a good "first" impression: not sure if I need one or 4, if only one then the first, if not then in the order named above:
    (1d20+7)[11]
    (1d20+7)[12]
    (1d20+7)[12]
    (1d20+7)[8]
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ouch, I hope this doesn't mean we can't be friends! :-)

Smiling Ben continues, "All I need to do now is track down that scallywag of an apprentice!"
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-18 at 09:51 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ever greets those he has not yet met, a broad grin across his face.

"Ever Barrowfoot. A pleasure, good sirs. Real pleasure"

Spoiler
    Show
    We're all playing male characters, correct? Interesting. I actually rolled for gender, so we at least might've had a female.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Devka looks around at those he will be working with, a thing smile on his face. "Devka thorn"
    He holds him self high "i see very little reason why we shouldn't get along just dandy
    Though inwardly he isn't so warm to these newly met strangers just aslong as they don't get in my way and have some use The only one he knows is ever. The rest he is wary of.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Am I being given a choice here?" Graorin asks bitterly. He chafes at authority, and he doesn't see why he needs to - ahem - 'have an announcement made' so as to 'bind him to the community'. He did just fine for eight years in the wilderness, thankyouverymuch.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

"Do not chaff so, Graorin, lately of Old Alk," intones the mayor, "without some sort of formal recognition some other well meaning group might well bring you back here in a week or a month. This is an opportunity for you." He seems to want to offer some kind of help to the wrongly accused and to put any bad feeling aside.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

BlackDragon

Ever frowns for a moment, considering that the giant does not seem happy about the decision. But he can't really think of a better solution. If the mobs will keep harassing Graorin, then...

He doesn't really know what to think, but it seems like a rough situation right now.. for Graorin, and for everyone in the isles.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru looked at his human friend worriedly, sensing his discontent.

"Whatever happens, I'll be with you." he whispered to Graorin.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin grits his teeth for a moment, considering. "...Fine," he finally says. The last thing he wants is to be dragged back here again by some other idiots.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Mayor Tomas seems pleased despite the disgrunted response, "Good, good." He waits a moment to see if anyone else will volunteer but when nobody steps forward he takes the sheet of paper from the clerk, writes something on it and then signs it with a flourish.

"I propose that you take a cog to Bridge at high tide this afternoon. I know that there is one at the docks at the moment heading there. From there you can resupply and hire passage or buy a yacht to take you up to one of the Six Sisters. Find out what is happening and do what you can for the people there. Send word back by bird, I'll have some prepared for you, and let me know your plans."

He snaps his fingers at the clerk again and instructs him to open the town coffers. "As mayor I'm prepared to advance a payment of 100 bands of platinum to your group. In addition we have two vials of blessed water from the healing pool of the Order of the Mists that might help those in need. They can heal even the most grievous of wounds so use them only in an emergency."

"Now I need to introduce you to the town, giant..I mean, Graorin and share your mission with them. Court is in recess." He bangs his gavel and stands. The spectators in the court stand up as he goes to leave.

Within a few minutes the mayor is outside telling everyone about the important mission and the new ally that they town has found.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben steps out of the courthouse, intent on finding Kevst to update him on the situation.

Spotting him in the crowd along with Athedru, he works his way across to him.

"I'm not sure if your friend has brought you up to date with what happened inside, but we have all "volunteered" to assist the town by investigating the tales from the North. The court has formally documented those involved, including you, and agreed to cover our expenses for the trip. Beyond that we have no plan as yet, but I imagine we will be setting off shortly once the Mayo rhas finished his piece and we have had time to discuss a plan."

Anticipating a rebuke from the urchin he continues:
    "If you were thinking of skipping out on us, you are right we have no way of forcing you to come with us, but I imagine that the authorities would take a dim view of finding you still in town after we have left given that the Mayor has formally documented your involvement."

Waiting for the Mayor to finish his announcement before catching the eye of each of the recently assembled group so as to indicate that they should probably sit down somewhere to discuss their plan and that the nearby tavern is as good a place as any.
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-20 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added the name I missed out!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

"Kevst!" Athedru said, wide eyed.

"Please help us...the whole island could be in danger from Graorin's evil friends!"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin waits patiently for his cage to be unlocked, then proceeds to collect his things once again from the idiots who arrested him. He then leads his horse outside the courthouse to look for Athedru.

Getting his things took a few minutes, which is lucky, because he would not have reacted well to Athedru referring to the slavers as his 'friends'.

When he reaches Athedru, his expression is that of someone who just wants to go home and put all this behind him - i.e., to heck with what this mayor person wants him to do. Though Graorin says nothing as he joins his friend, Athedru should know him well enough after eight years to know that that is exactly what Graorin is likely to do. Even without looking at his face.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst answered Ben first, "You 'volunteered' me for this?" Kevst was liking Ben less and less. "I doubt the mayor could do anything more to me then he has already done."

Kevst next turned to his friend, but was unmoved by his pleas, "What do I care about protecting the island from Graorin's friends? Let the authorities deal with that. Honestly, I've been in more danger from the people on this island then anyone outside of it, maybe I'd be better off if the giants took some of these people away."

Kevst cared little for the people on this island, they have shown him only cruelty and indifference. He thought Athedru knew him better then to try and appeal to his 'civic virtue'. The idea of risking himself to protect the island was laughable. He hated this island. He hated the people on it.

Kevst mulled that thought over in his mind, "I hate these people.... I hate this island... why would I want to stay? I care nothing for this 'mission' but perhaps I'd have the chance to get off Old Alk for good. Maybe I could find more people like myself? Maybe... maybe even my parents?"

Bah, Kevst snorted, his parents abandoned him long ago, if they were even alive they clearly wanted nothing to do with him then and wouldn't now. He shouldn't waste time on such pipe dreams. Even so, a chance to get away from Alkton and all the people who have tormented him throughout his life might be worth taking.

He spoke again to Ben, "So... what's in it for me if I go along?"
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-09-20 at 03:53 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"You mean besides all the freedom you can handle, the opportunity to get away from the town for an expenses-paid trip to the wilderness, working with a giant and a chance to pit our wits against everything that the world has to throw at you?"

"Listen kid, I said what I said back there to get you out of there; you look like you've had it rough in the past, I know it isn't easy growing up on the streets, so I thought a little help wouldn't go amiss. Whatever you may think, the Mayor thinks that you are my apprentice; perhaps we can learn from each other?"

"Come with us, you never know what opportunities you'll find to make a quick mark or two and perhaps more. If you decide not to come back I can always tell the Mayor you had a nasty accident!"

Seeing that his words are apparently having little impact, he turns away slightly, he continues"Come, don't come; it's up to you. I can't make you and I won't try to persuade you any further. If you walk away now we'll let you know our plans in case you have a change of heart and want to join us. If you want nothing further to do with us, then I wish you all the best in your endeavours."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst listened to Ben's words. For a moment or two he stood there considering the merit of his pitch. He certainly wasn't the adventuring type and had plenty of reservations about undertaking what could turn out to be a dangerous mission, but... what the hell. Would it really be much worse then here? And this Ben guy, while he was certainly slimey and self-serving, he did help Kevst out. Regardless of his reasons, when was the last time someone actually helped him? When was the last time someone did that?

Hesitantly Kevst said, "Fine... I'll come along. There is nothing for me here."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

"Graorin....I know you don't like it, but....you know....I....I...

I'llstickwithyouevenifyoudecidetoleave,andI'llmake sureyoudon'tgetcapturedagain, ever!"
    Athedru blurted out.

"And you too, Kevst! My raven here will poke your enemies' eyes out!"

The raven sqwaked in agreement.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

After the mayor has finished his rather long winded speech you manage to escape the crowds of curious people wishing you well or just wishing to get close to the giant. Graorin finds himself being touched and prodded and his already frayed temper gets close to snapping.

Eventually you find yourself in the Jolly Sailor, an inn down main road to the docks. There the sympathetic landlady ushers you into an attic room and provides you with bread trenchers, cod and a simple pottage of cabbage, peas and greens all washed down with small beer. "On the house," she says cheerfully.

There are six halfling sized bunk beds and twice that number of chests. A large dining table that comfortably sits a dozen dominates the room. There are metal mirrors and wash basins in the chests and chamber pots under the bottom bunks. The attic room is quite spacious with a ceiling high enough even for Graolin as long as he stays in the centre.

There are six small round windows giving a view of the town to the north and a balcony overlooking the bay to the south. There you can see the cog that the mayor spoke of. It's the largest vessel docked at about 50 feet long with a single square sail. Bare chested men are busy unloading buckets of iron goods from the look of things and loading up with cages of chickens, sheep and pigs and long bundles of lumber.

Downstairs you can easily hear the sounds of the inn filling up, shouts for beer and food are as common as questions about the giant and the quest. After an hour these are replaced by the sounds of flutes, violins and singing.

A nervous serving maid brings up fresh fruit, water and ale and fetches anything on the limited menu that you ask her for.

Could I have a spot check from each of you please.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin merely grunts in response to Athedru. Well, if he doesn't seem to mind if they skip out...

Later, at the inn, Graorin stands awkwardly in the center of the room, making sure not to sit or lean on anything so as not to break it.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[6]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

At first glance Ben sees a servicable room, sufficiently comfortable for any planning they need to complete and possibly a short rest.

Having enjoyed the plentiful meal provided for them, he glances round the room at his new companions and his attention is caught by the boat that can be seen through the window. It is obvious that this is to be their transport, but something about it caught his eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot check:(1d20+1)[8]

Having stared out of the window, Ben can see nothing that may have at first caught his eye and returns to the table ready to discuss the plan.
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-21 at 05:56 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

BlackDragon

Ever heartily enjoys the simple meal offered them. It's one of the three places he feels at home--in the forests, on the water, and inside a friendly tavern, or inn. He's eager to discuss the pending adventure with his new companions, and to get to know them a bit. He's also thinking about what equipment he may need.

"How long y' think this trip'll be? Can't decide. Leave my boat at dock.. or sell it?"

As he's talking, he looks around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+3)[17]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst had seen this inn many times from the outside, indeed he had gone through the trash looking for salvagable food on more then one occasion and has occasionally relieved some drunk patrons of their valuables. This was his first time inside. It was a nice place, and the food was much better on the plate then in the bin. Still, he was typically suspicious when people treated him well. He looked around for anything out of place.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[3]

But as he was about to look around a gust of wind came through one of the open windows, blowing with it some dust and debris from outside. Kevst happened to be looking right in that direction and dust flew right into his eyes. Stinging with pain his eyes began to water, he couldn't see a thing. It took him several moments of rubbing his eyes to get the dust out
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-09-21 at 04:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru glances around distractedly, slowly consuming the food, while the raven, on his shoulder, keeps a sharp eye out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Athedru: (1d20+1)[6]
    Raven: (1d20+7)[13]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Devka keeps mostly quiet and just listens to what the others have to say. He isn't used to many social interactions, and certaintly not with this many people at one time. Getting slightly bored with the topic he throughs a glance around the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+2)[21]

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin is obviously in too lousy a mood to be paying attention to his surroundings. Not being able to move easily and not being able to sit on anything isn't helping any.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Opposed roll (1d20+4)[10]

Glancing out of the window a few of you notice that some of the guards that escorted you to the court earlier are positioned around the inn. They are obviously trying to hide but haven't done that good a job of it. Wearing the eye badge of Alkton watch and carrying quarter staves doesn't help. If they'd just joined the crowd they'd be far less visible.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-09-23 at 03:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

BlackDragon

Ever notices the Alkton guards outside.'They're obviously trying not to be seen, so he figures they're not trying to discourage mobs. He speaks lowly to the rest of the group, indicating the guards.

"Looks like mister mayor still don't trust our giant friend."