New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

As soon as his foe starts to fall Devka wastes no time in turning, pulling back one of his daggers and throwing it at the creature just across from him. If Ben has managed to free the slaves, if there are indeed any, then it is vital that the enemy's attention is diverted so they can make good their escape.

Spoiler
    Show
    He is going for the enemy in F6
    To Hit: (1d20+6)[18]
    Damage: (1d3+2)[4]
    Crit Confirmation: (1d20+6)[18]
    Crit Damage: (1d3+2)[3]
    Last edited by Dancing Shadows; 2013-10-09 at 01:24 PM. Reason: F6

2. - Top - End - #932
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Artho looks over tat the enemy. Blasted monsters. Too cowardly to even face me properly. I guess they didn't expect us to take down the big one so quickly. If only I had my crossbow I could put some bolts through some eyes! he has a quick scan around to see how the ships are faring and tries to shout above the noise of the fire and the sea "Archers! Can you take out these wretched green skins please! Don't let them fight the fires!"

Spoiler
    Show

Artho is mostly waiting for someone he can hit, or to see if Ben gets back, so for now will take Full Defence

3. - Top - End - #933
    Troll in the Playground

Below decks the Islanders begin squeezing out of shutters and leaping for the ship nearby. "There's a chest in the captain's cabin but you'd have to go on deck to reach it," one of the men says as he pushes his way out. Another tells you that the former first mate is also on deck, "Blooming collaborator, leave 'im.". It isn't long before they're all free and clambering up to the deck. The twang of crossbows fill the air and any goblin that comes into sight is shot down.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You can sail away or continue to act at this point. I'm happy to switch away from round to round combat and back to narrative unless you want to continue combat.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Whilst the oarsman make their way out if the hatch, Ben gets more details of the chest in the Captain's cabin.

With a good idea of what to expect Ben looks out of the hatch to see the condition of the boat before heading back to the party to find Kevst.

Finding him he says, "There's a chest in the Captain's quarters, shall we try to take a look?"
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

5. - Top - End - #935
    Troll in the Playground

The hull all along where you've been shooting flaming arrows is blazing now, at least above the oar deck. The aft is burning particularly well. The deck is also alight there. Nobody is making any effort to put this out that you can see and there is smoke pouring out of the area of the mist. You don't think that it is in danger of sinking yet, it's more likely to burn to the waterline and then sink. That could take an hour or more.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Seeing no evidence that the boat is sinking what in the Mists do I know about boats Ben eyes the gap between the gap between the boats and the slowly spreading flames and wonders about the chest.

does a chest full of treasure float? Can I just go and grab it?

With a sudden realisation Ben calls to Devka, "Devka my friend, will you accompany me in to the depths of this ship to see if we can't make some benefit from our endeavours? I have the feeling that between us we can bring anything worthwhile back here to look at."
    Record:

RAT POWER!

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst certainly considered Ben's offer, he sure was curious to know what goodies were hiding on the other ship, but his urge for self-preservation took over. It would be too risky.

"I'm not going onto a burning, sinking ship full of beastly men out to kill me," he told Ben.

Then Kevst lets slip some concern for the welfare of one of his companions, "Whatever is there probably isn't worth risking your life over either.."

Of course, if Artho were the one wanting to go, Kevst would only encourage him.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-10-16 at 07:51 AM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

8. - Top - End - #938
    Orc in the Playground

Devka hoists his axe upon his shoulder, "Treasure and perhaps more combat? I'm in." He takes a few steps back and then runs up and jumps over onto the other boat. "Where do I go?", he asks his companion whilst regaining his bearings.

Spoiler
    Show
    To Jump: (1d20+8)[21]
    Last edited by Dancing Shadows; 2013-10-15 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Detail

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben makes his way back across to the burning ship.

"the captain's quarters should be at the back. We'll grab what we can and pass it back across; if there's more than one trip we'll just have to come back."

Making his way to the door at the back of the deck, Ben continues; "be ready my friend, I'll open on 3 and you charge in. I'll follow you in and cover your back."

Ben draws a throwing dagger, balances it in his hand and grabs the handle.

"1...2...3!" and opens the door quickly.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

10. - Top - End - #940
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin, seeing that no further attacks from the goblin ship seem evident right now, lifts up Athedru's unconscious body and takes him below decks to keep him safe while he waits.

11. - Top - End - #941

SwashbucklerGuy

Seeing the oarsmen climbing aboard Artho rushes to help, pulling them up the sides and directing them below decks. He sheathes his sword and tries to cover them with his shield at the same time as helping them up "This way friends, keep down and get below decks, you should be safe there!" as he helps he smiles and grins widely, happy to have saved some fellow Islanders, thinking to himself Excellent work Mr.Ben! Soon we can be on our way..

Spoiler
    Show

Strength checks to help people up?
    (1d20+2)[16]
    (1d20+2)[14]
    (1d20+2)[20]
    (1d20+2)[8]
    (1d20+2)[6]

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

Ben and Devka step over the burning deck into the cabin. There's a short corridor with a door on your left and right and another at the end. There is a light under the door in front of you and it bumps open as you step forward. There's a stout islander half dragging, half carrying out a chest that's brimming with silver cups, coins, jewels and bolts of cloth. He's bent double with the effort and his trousers are on the verge of splitting, he's straining so hard. He doesn't seem to have noticed you at all.

Unfortunately there is another creature that follows the chest out who does notice you. It is some kind of lizard man, a little shorter than a typical islander and much thinner. It has red and golden scale, a long red cloak over its shoulders and a rapier at its belt. At the sight of you it lets loose a long hiss and drops the chest.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Hold it right there; I think you'll find that that chest is on the wrong ship. We've come to correct that little mistake. So if you gentlemen would care to tell us where you were taking our chest, and what you were doing following our ship in the first place we'll be on our way."

Ben twirls the dagger in his hand to make it obvious that he is as happy to use the sharp edge of the blade as he is to use the sharpness of his tongue; he also makes a subtle sign to Devka and hopes that his more physically adept friend is ready to provide the muscle here.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

"Eep, " the islander spins round in a panic, "I thought you were K'frawar. You nearly frightened me out of my skin. Help me shift this and I'll give you a share, half a share. You can have half a share. Each. We'll split it three ways. Sithkrick, put the sword away, these are friendly folk, right. You are friends aren't you? You wouldn't leave a fellow islander and his helper to burn just so you can burglarise him, would you?"

The lizard creature makes no move to put his weapon away but stares at you both unblinkingly. Every now and then his tongue darts out to taste the air. "Ssithsssrick no like. Theysss not crew. Theysss new. We canssss take themsss."
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Why don't you tell us who you are and how you came by our chest and we can discuss what happens next? The two of you look rather better off than the others we've met, well at least those who weren't trying to actively kill us! We've taken the other islanders aboard our ship to free them from their slavery, you are welcome to join them but we need to be sure you aren't both siding with the slavers.

Oh, and if you think you can take us ask yourselves this; how is it that we can be standing here to have this conversation if we haven't already cut our way through the Captain and his crew to get here?" inclining his head towards Devka, Ben continues "If you are afraid of the captain then you ought to be much more afraid of the man who cut him in half without breaking a sweat!"

Spoiler: Some rolls
    Show

A little bluff (at first) (1d20+8)[27]
    then some Diplomacy (1d20+8)[14]
    Then intimidate (1d20+3)[4] (any bonuses for being backed up by Devka?)
    Sense motive for good measure:
    Halfling (1d20+6)[10]
    Kobold? (1d20+6)[8]
    Record:

RAT POWER!

16. - Top - End - #946

BlackDragon

Ever helps Artho to assist the islanders in boarding the vessel. He uses his rope if it will help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know if I need to roll any checks.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Orc in the Playground

Devka lazily leans on his axe and lets out a little yawn. He smiles a dangerous smile that invites them to test him, "The last guy that tried to take something from me left without any arms. It was only an apple and I was in a good mood then. After being the victim of attempted murder and finding two people so inconsiderately helping themselves to our possessions I am no longer in a good mood."

Spoiler
    Show
    Devka will attempt his own intimdation (1d20+5)[15]

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

"This isn't yours any more than it's mine," the chubby islander says with a smile, "I'm willing to share though. Equal shares. Fifty fifty split. Just help me get it to the row boat or your ship."

The small lizard man backs away, glancing to both sides looking for a way to escape. You're standing between them and the deck.

--

For those on deck, you'll soon pass the other ship. Ben and Devka will soon be too far to jump back unless you stop and wait.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #949

SwashbucklerGuy

s the last of the Islanders disappears below decks Artho looks around "Thank you for your help Mr. Ever. Have you seen Mr.Ben? We're drifting away from the enemy ship and I haven't seen him come aboard." looking around he sees Kevst on deck and runs over "Kevst, have you seen Mr.Ben? We'll soon be away from the other ship!"

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

"The fool went back across to the enemy ship looking for loot." And he has the nerve to say that I'M greedy? "I told him it wasn't worth the risk, but he went anyway. Brought Devka too I think."

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"This ship is on fire and it is only a matter of time before it sinks; let's continue this discussion aboard our own ship and get underway."

Ben moves to grab a handle to help move the chest.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

He nods and grabs a corner, "Very pragmatic of you. Come on, Sithkrick. See, I said they were friendly." The reptile man does as commanded and the four of you manhandle the heavy trunk to the gunwale, just in time. With a little help you pass it across and then join your ship on her journey away from the burning wreck.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Letting his disguise drop fully, Ben says, "Well that went particularly well I thought; a great plan gentlemen, well executed too. The element of surprise and a good deal of confusion and we carried the day." looking round the deck at the bits of flesh and gore, Ben continues "I see you were particularly busy up here; was that the beast that tagged me?

Anyway, never mind that; we've freed these people from their slavery, lost our tail and secured ourselves a little something to replenish our stocks. Oh, forgive me, I found these fellows below deck trying to remove the chest and we've agreed to share the contents, but haven't worked out the details yet.

Before we worry about any of that I, for one, could use a drink of water and a bite to eat; these healing potions are good, but it still takes its toll.

Then, we need to get out of here and head to our goal."

Ben finds his pack and takes a swig of water and a ship's biscuit before removing his other potion and placing it in his belt. He checks his weapons and clean, sharp and secured and then finds a seat on a nearby crate and breathes a deep sigh.

Phew! That was close! Ben, a swashbuckler you are not. Next time, leave the daring rescue to those with a little more bite!
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2013-10-19 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Record:

RAT POWER!

24. - Top - End - #954

SwashbucklerGuy

Artho helps the chest and people aboard, pausing only for a short while to give the lizard man an incredulous stare. Once everyone is aboard he hunts down his crossbow and any remaining bolts and puts them back with the rest of his things before approaching the Captain "I think we should be making our way now, don't you?"

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst walks over to Ben and says, "Good work," before taking a look at the chest he brought, "What'd you get?"

A chest full of goodies and Kevst didn't even have to stick his neck out for it? What a deal. He was less keen on having to share it with these two from the other ship. If they weren't the slaves from down below, then are they enemies? Why are they sharing the loot and why are they being allowed to live?

"What's with those two?" he asks Ben quietly.

After hearing Artho's comment to the captain, Kevst says, "Wait, shouldn't we wait to make sure none of the enemy survive? We wouldn't want them finding their way to shore and raising the alarm."

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

To Kevst, "We found them coming out of the Captain's quarters dragging the trunk; they were clearly stealing it and we didn't have the time, or the space, for a fight so we brought everything back with us."

Continuing aloud for the rest of the group; "Kevst is right, we need to check to ensure no-one can tell of today's events and we should probably recover the boat we set adrift Captain? I think we should perhaps make sure that the wreckage is going to either burn completly, sink or preferably both in the near future so that if anyone comes looking for the missing ship there are no clues as to its fate, and no-one stumbles across it by accident.

Then we can worry about getting out of here and splitting the contents of the chest.

Captain, can you secure this chest in your quarters please whilst we all attend to the various tasks at hand? I'd hate for there to be any accusations of pilfering if it were left unattended."

Continuing quietly to Kevst as he turns away, "I'm not too keen on sharing with these guys either, for all we know they were part of the crew, but I am sure the former slaves can soon tell us if they were. Once we've set sail we'll take care of it."

Ben then proceeds to where the former slaves have gathered to enquire about the two newcomers.

"Do any of you fellows recognise those two over there? Are they part of your group? What do you know of them?

I'm sorry, where are my manners. Welcome to the Duchess of the Mists, a fine vessel under Captain Gull out of Bridge. I am Benjamyn Oldalk, my friends call me Ben or Young Ben, and we jolly few are the Alkton Irregulars, Slayers of Big Claw, Champion of those oppressed by the Empire; and we are happy to have you aboard and return to you your freedom!" he bows theatrically before continuing,

"We are headed to Shark's Luck to investigate stories of these slavers and their Empire and attempt to do something about it. Once we are done we will be returning to Bridge where you can rejoin society and I am sure we can help you find your ways home to your families.

But before that, can you tell me of your experiences at the hands of the Empire? How did you come to be enslaved, what have you seen of their society, where are you all from?"

When the cacophony of noise has abated somewhat, Ben continues; "I'm sorry my friends, that was my own fault. Can I ask you to tell me your stories one at a time? You sir, pointing to the nearest person, "what's your story?"
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2013-10-21 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Changed the details to actually match the narrative! :smalleek:
    Record:

RAT POWER!

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

While Gull secures the crate the two "thieves" look on forlornly. The lizard wraps his cloak tightly round his body, almost as if he's trying to hide within it.

When you question them there is indeed a cacophony from the assembled sailors. One by one they provide you with similar stories. "We were simply fishermen and traders. We've been operating the waters round Shark's Luck for years under Captain Whalebone over there," the sailors indicate the pudgy man who was helping himself to the chest. "The giants came and said we have to work for them or stay in the stockades that they made us build. The Cap'n said he'd work but some of us refused. Best to be free but if you can't be free better not to help them, that's what we thought. Cap'n said it was better to have a little freedom and see if you can build on it."

"The lizard fellow is called a kobold. Some sort of wizard who works for the giants. Him and the cap'n are chummy but we don't know much about them. The other things were called goblins. They were vicious bugger, stab you in the back soon as look at you and I seen one stab his mate in the back for no reason, just 'cos he could. The giants were the warrior cast as far as we know. They've got others that do different things. Thin ones with pointy ears are the leaders. Most of them are wizards. You've got wide, strong ones called dwarves that are craftsmen mostly but we've seen all sorts on Shark's Luck coming and going." They seem more than eager to provide whatever information you ask for.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst's eyes got wide listening to the end of the slaves' tale and he said, "That lizard creature is a wizard in the service of the giants?! There is no telling what kind of damage a wizard could do. We can't allow him to stay on this ship! Not alive anyway..."

He drew his dagger and took a step toward the kobold.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-10-21 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Changed my mind, I'll let Ben get more information out of the slaves

29. - Top - End - #959

SwashbucklerGuy

Artho places a hand on Kevts shoulder "Hold for now. HE's not going to destroy the ship ad risk his treasure. Besides..he seems like quite the mercenary sort, we might be able to make use of him" loking around the below deck he notices Graorin off to oen side tending to Athedry, he heads of and asks quietly "How is he holding up? Are his wounds serious?"

30. - Top - End - #960
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin looks up from Athedru upon being addressed. Recognizing the voice, he turns to Artho. "Hey Empire people!" he shouts at the top of his lungs, evidently not worried about waking up the unconscious Athedru. "We're going to set fire to your ship now! But you won't see it coming because of this fog we put up, so act all surprised and don't try to put it out or anything, okay?"