New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

That's something I can understand very well.

I don't trust him either.

Nygdath has followed the others still undecided what he should do. If those Giant might know the stoneshaper island he could mean a way back home. But trust him? No humans are greedy and always treacherous.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin glowers at Nygdath from the center of the room. His neck is starting to hurt from bending slightly over so as not to hit the ceiling. He doesn't need to have insult added to injury. "I think I'll wait outside," he says. "Seeing as I'm not wanted here."

With that, he bends down and heads for the door.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Perhaps he simply doesn't trust us to actually leave?

I think the best thing we can do is sort ourselves out a plan and get on that boat.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, wait, Graorin!" Athedru shouts, following him out of the room, while the raven gives Nygdath the evil raven eye.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin waits just outside the door for Athedru to come out. It feels so much better to be able to stand up straight...

"I don't need to listen to this sort of thing," he says to the halfling.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nygdath follows Graorin out of the building. Isn't following him what he had promised? At least this way the human wouldn't run away.

"Sure you do. You'll have to listen to it until the islands are safe again. And don't think that i say this words because you are a human. I do have met humans that doesn't are like those raiders. Slaves of them. They had nothing but their songs and their friendship. But simply saying you are different will not be enough, like it or not. If you don't want to be judged like a raider help this men. "

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ever, hoping to keep tempers calm, decides to grab some of the fruit from the table to bring outside to Graorin. He selects the largest apple and a clump of grapes, and excuses himself from the table. He mentions to Devka that he's going to sell his boat and buy some gear in a minute, in case the barbarian wishes to join him shopping. If he does, Ever says he'll wait outside for Devka.

Outside, he walks up to the giant, offering him the fruit out where he can stand more easily.

"Should eat a bit. Uh.. we island folk.. we never see anyone like you before. Then these slave people come.. and, uh.. now's when we see you. Bad timin'... Only natural, bein' a bit suspicious at that, but, uh.. Well we got yer back if you got ours.. is what I mean."

He may trip up a little on the words, but Ever is sincere and genuine, and that should be fairly clear. He also gives what he hopes is an understanding look to Nygdath as he talks about the suspicion.

Then he sets off, first waiting for Devka if he's joining him. He excuses himself from the others. "Got some business."

Ever then stops one or several of the townspeople, asking if there's a boat shop nearby.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

After finally removing the last bit of dust from his eye Kevst noticed that half the group is now leaving the room. "No matter," he thought, "more food for me."

Whatever happened with this 'quest' of theirs he wasn't going to pass up a free meal. He could care less about hurt feelings among the others. Kevst agreed with Nygdath, he didn't trust the giant either. Then again, Kevst also didn't trust Nygdath or any of the others in the room except Athedru. He didn't care if people left or had issues with each other, Kevst just wanted to stuff himself as full as he could.

After eating his fill he figured he'd look around the room and in all the trunks. Perhaps a previous occupant left something behind?

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 20 on a Search check
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin chooses to ignore Nygdath. Instead he looks down at Ever. "I'd much prefer not to get involved at all. Live my own life, way I've always done." He accepts the food with appreciation, though, grunting out a small thanks.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben addresses those that remain, "We may as well take the next few hours to rest, eat and gather anything we need for this little adventure we are embarking upon; we can discuss plans on the boat. I'll go and see if I can get us some fresh food for the journey, no need to start on the trail rations sooner than we have to."

Ben picks up a last piece of bread to chew on as he stands up and leaves the room. He heads down to the common area to find the landlady. Seeing her busy with customers he bides his time; when it appears that everyone has been served their food he follows her through he door to what he assumes to be the kitchen.

"Madame, firstly may I congratulate you on the quality of your food and offer thanks on behalf of our little group for your generous hospitality, not everyone on the island would be so kind given the membership of our little band. The memory of your cooking will stay with us quite a while, and just that memory may help us ignore the nature of the ship's biscuits and stew we will soon be faced with. Who knows when we may next enjoy such wonderful food and hospitality?"

Ben smiles handsomely, flirting slightly but not trying anything on; No harm in flirting, but I can't afford a scandal in town now; perhaps when I return. he thinks to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy check for interaction with the landlady (1d20+7)[9]

Ouch, crash and burn; did he have cabbage between his teeth or gravy on his s perhaps?

Thanking the lady lady once more (with a little more flirting if she parts with more food or another positive response)*Ben heads out to collect his belongings before returning in time to meet the others at the docks before the boat leaves; he wants to make sure that Kevst actually gets on the boat!
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-25 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Thoughts in italics!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

The inn is very busy and it takes some time even to get noticed by the landlady. When you follow her into the kitchen she bristles and gets defensive at the "invasion of her domain" but your kind words mollify her brief anger. The kitchen itself is a hive of activity with two cooks working over a dozen pans of various foods and a couple of young boys running in and our serving food. Two older boys are kneading bread and making pastries, stopping every few minutes to full things out of the enormous oven at the back of the kitchen.

"You've done me a great boon here choosing my place to rest with your giant. I haven't been this busy all summer. Don't worry about ships biscuit too much. I've made up a hamper for you that should last a day or two," she give you a matronly pat on the cheek, grabs a plate of food, ushers you back to the bar area and then scoots past you. On the way back she stops, "How about you bring your giant down and have him say a few words to the folk, eh? Keep everyone happy."
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Devka, with the only person he feels comfortable leaving the inn, follows Ever and says to him, "I think i've got all i need, but i'll come with you anyway, just in case"
    He nods a quick goodbye to the group. then proccedes to walk with Ever and keeps a sharp eye and ear out for anything suspicous.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+2)[15]
    Listen (1d20+8)[15]

13. - Top - End - #103

BlackDragon

Ever and Devka search around and find a good place for Ever to sell his boating gear. He chooses to keep one of the oars to make things easier on the next boat. He considers buying a bow, but as he can't afford the really powerful ones (composite), he opts to stick with his sling and buys a pouch of bullets.

Done with his shopping, Ever starts back toward the inn.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben returns to the Inn with his travelling equipment, and takes a seat where he can see the door and the docks. He passes the remaining time chatting amiably with the other customers, telling tall tales and spinning yarns; building the group up as a party of worthy adventurers! He buys a few drinks and tips the barmaids a few coppers. He is keeping an eye out for Graorin's return so as to introduce him to the room, hoping to catch a couple of words with him to encourage him in to the interaction.

Spoiler
    Show
    bluff checks with the customers:
    (1d20+7)[27]
    (1d20+7)[19]
    (1d20+7)[24]
    (1d20+7)[11]
    (several just in case it goes on a long time)
    I expect a couple of drinks and tips to give a total spend of about 3sp, happy to be corrected and I'll adjust my sheet accordingly.

Aargh, that last story must have been a stinker!
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-25 at 03:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

(...realizing all of a sudden that you're waiting on me...)

Graorin doesn't have any intention on going back indoors. He waits outside with Valerius until it's time to leave or something else happens, whichever comes first.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Spotting Graorin outside, Benbides his time until he can slip away from the crowd to talk to the man who is drawing such interest from the crowd.

Approaching quietly, but not silently Ben coughs slightly to announce his presence,
    "Graorin, I know that the size of our buildings and our town is making things difficult for you; the people here at the tavern believe that you are a friend of our people and are interested to hear a few words from you before we stiff on our journey. Might you find it in you to enter, or even just sit outside by an open window so that people can see you for themselves and perhaps one-day say to their grandchildren 'I was there when Graorin, our friend from afar, visited Old Alk'? I'll keep them away from you, they just want to hear you speak to them."

He thinks to himself, Come on big guy, don't let me down; this could make us all famous rather than just infamous!

If Graorin agrees, Ben returns to the bar-room to announce him (and open a window). If not, he returns to the bar-room to inform the crowd that the giant is deep in thought about how best to protect the people and unfortunately cannot be disturbed; he will also promise an appearance by the giant when they all return from their adventure (overselling it slightly).

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin considers. What the mayor said about people leaving him alone if it's well-known that he's a friend... well, despite his annoyance, he can see the truth in that. And Ben is definitely being a lot more conciliatory than that... weird other-halfling. He grunts. "Alright," he says. "For a little while. I can't promise that they'll like me, though."

Privately, he hopes that they'll have a chair capable of supporting him. Actually... "Find out if they have something I can sit on," he adds. Then he follows Ben inside.

Charisma check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-2)[17]

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben heads back in to the bar, clears a table near the door, hops up on it and announces;

"People of Old Alk, friends, before he leads our merry band head of to investigate the tales from our kin in the north, our friend, Graorin would like to say a few wor to you all hear. Please give him space so that everyone can see and hear him. Landlady, please bring him a jug of ale to whet his whistle!"

He hops down from the table and gestures Graorin in to sit on the table.

Spoiler
    Show
    acrobatics (Jump and then balance) check to leap on to the table [roll]1d20+2[/roll] [Roll]1d20+4[/roll] with any modifiers for the couple of drinks etc
    Bluff check to convince the crowd Graorin is both our brave leader and keen to speak [roll]1d20+7[/roll]
    Diplomacy check on the landlady (again) for the (hopefully) free beer [roll]1d20+7[/roll]
    Balance check to hop off the table [roll]1d20+4[/roll]

Rolls now in OOC thread
    Thankfully they all seem to be good enough to pull this little show off; perhaps I should have been a bard!
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-09-27 at 02:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

The inn is packed and noisy but Young Ben somehow makes himself heard over the din. His acrobatics and the presence of the human giant effectively silence everyone. Graorin finds himself the sudden centre of attention. Before he can speak a ragged cheer spring up from the back of the crowd followed by raucous banging of tankards and calls for "speech, speech", "blessings of the gods", and "raise a toast".

The sudden silence and following cacophony alert the group upstairs who by now are aware that the time to leave for the ship is fast approaching. Those who walk down the stairs can slip out the back or enter the main bar as they choose. Either way they see a cheerful crowd of slightly worse for wear island folk eager to hear what the giant has to say while drowning out any attempt he might have to be heard.

After a moment or two a grizzled old man in rough wool carrying an quarterstaff almost twice his height climbs up on the table next to Graorin. He uses the stave to call for order, "let the lad speak" he yells. Then he hands the quarterstaff to the druid as the crowd hushes, "a gift, for you," he says as he slides back down to the ground.

Later when you get a chance to examine the quarterstaff you find that it is of the very best craftsmanship and has been finely carved with woodland scenes. It is also very old and looks to have been well cared for. Quite what a halfling is doing with a 6' quarterstaff is something of a mystery though.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is a masterwork quarterstaff made from darkwood
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

BlackDragon

As Ever approaches the inn, he hears the ruckus. At first he is worried that a brawl may have started, but as he gets closer he sees Graorin through the window. It would seem the giant had warmed up a bit to the halflings. Ever, grinning with amusement, quietly chuckles as he slips inside the inn. He seeks to make eye contact with the adventuring party and judge whether they're about ready to depart.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin stands there blinking during all the cacophany - how did the people here start trusting him, nay, loving him so quickly? - but he's not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Then he gets handed the quarterstaff, and he blinks in even further surprise. "Um..." he stammers for a moment, then tries to recover. "So... My name is Graorin, I've been living on Brother Star Isle for about eight years now. One of my friends tell me you have this group called The Order of the Sea. I'm part of a group a lot like them. And we..." what the heck am I going to say? "we don't hold by slavery or killing people or anything like that. So as your, um, mayor said, me and my friends here are going to find out what the other hu- um, the other giants want, and see if we can't stop them from doing what they're doing."

Graorin is obviously not the greatest speaker in the world. He never had the talent to begin with, and eight years in a cave didn't exactly help. But for some reason the crowd seems to like him a lot, and it helps that at least this time he didn't accuse anyone random of thievery.

He glances down at the quarterstaff he's just been handed. Odd.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing how the people react to Garion, a faint smile tinged with sadness graces Devka's lips. So they accept him as quick as that, i'm glad for the guy
    Devka quickly turns away and waits outside for the rest of the group to finish up. whilst he ponders why people don't seem to accept him.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the room emptied out fairly quick. After stuffing himself full of food, and wrapping up whatever food was left and putting it in his bag, Kevst looked around the room for any valuables that weren't nailed down. Sadly he found nothing other then a few blankets and board games. Kevst didn't know where they were going, or what kind of accommodations to expect, but he had nothing for sleeping, so perhaps a blanket would serve him well. He took a blanket out of a chest, rolled it up, and stuffed it in his bag.

Hearing some commotion downstairs, Kevst decided to head downstairs and investigate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Added a blanket, a loaf of bread and a hunk of cheese to my items list
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-09-27 at 03:03 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru's raven eyes Kevst's bag, and cawed loudly, nudging his partner's cheek.

Turning his attention away from Graorin, Athedru grins at Kevst.

"Hey! We were wondering where you were. Something great is happening to our friend here! Oh, my raven also tells me you brought along some food. What did you bring?"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Graorin's speech ends in a bout of over enthusiastic clapping and cheering that grows louder as the landlady of the Jolly Sailor brings out a massive hamper and deposits it in front of you, "We can't let you go hungry on your journey so I've made you a little something to take away with you. You'll not find anyone who makes a better fish pie in all the isles that Hubbly Duenna. Now some of the islanders have brought you gifts too," she spares a glare for the old man who it seems had jumped the queue to give his gift.

A line of small folk form up and shuffle forward, some leave trinkets and oddments on the table, good luck charms and talismans, some leave weapons or ammunition. One very tall halfling leaves a scroll case, "A map of Shark," he says. Within a few minutes there is a nice sized pile of things to sort through, some of it looks valuable and all of it is well made. Hubbly, the landlady, doesn't give you a chance to sort through it though as she fetches another wicker basket and piles all the things inside, "Your ship will be leaving soon," and with that you're all bustled outside and led down the street with a crowd in tow. Some of you can't help think that this was how you'd arrived only this morning but the farewell is much better than the greeting.

When you reach the docks you note that the crew has finished loading and are sitting around. Some are smoking pipes or playing dice games for silver. The captain, Rames Longham, has an enormous "cocked" bicorn hat that looks like it has sprouted feathers from some exotic bird from the ends of the world. He's talking to another sailor who is ticking items off a list. As you approach he walks the length of the gangplank and waits for you at the bottom of it, chivvying up his crew to stand and make ready.

"Ahoy me laddies, ye're invited to board th' Ogre's Kiss. We launch fer Bridge when ye're stowed 'n ready." With that he marches up the gang plank again and waits for you to board. The crew member with the list has a small box hanging round his neck that he's using as scribe desk. He puts things away as the captain makes introductions and then leads you below deck to the hold. There is a stall for Graorin's horse, who won't be the only horse on this journey even though he is by far the biggest. There are crates of animals in the hold and the noise is a bit distracting. One of the younger crew is trying to quiet them unsuccessfully.

Below desks are cramped even for the halflings and you quickly find that most of the 18 crew sleep on desk and venture below only when their meals or duties take them there or the weather drives them away. You are free to make a bed on deck or find a space under a mess table or in a corridor. There are only other two rooms beyond the galley and the hold and those are for the captain and the ship's doctor.

Captain Rames Longham finds you after the ship reaches the open sea, "Right, we're to be in Bridge th' mornin' after to'morrow. His high 'n mighty mayor tells me that ye're headin' to Shark's Luck eventually. I ain't. I'll stop at Bridge fer a day to do some tradin', then I'll make me way along th' Davy Jones' Treasure Chest Isles to trade wit' th' priests. Then round 'n back again. I can drop ye wherever ye like but if ye're in a hurry ye'd best jump ship at Bridge 'n hire a packet boat or somethin'. 'tis up to ye."

Spoiler
    Show
    The gifts include the following of note and odds and sods that aren't important enough to mention:
    • A scroll case containing a slightly water damaged map of Shark's Luck, the island that you've heard is the base of operations for the slavers.
    • A scroll of Identify.
    • Two potions of cure light wounds.
    • 30 sling bullets including 5 master work sling bullets.
    • 25 light crossbow bolts including 4 of master work quality.
    • 7 daggers including one that is master work.
    • A silver holy symbol.
    • An old darkwood heavy shield. It has a coat of arms engraved into the wood and it looks like it was once painted.
    • 52 gp of hack silver and gold.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

BlackDragon

Ever eagerly heads up the gangplank and aboard the vessel. While things may be a little cramped on this boat, there's far more room than he's used to on his rowboat. He gestures towards a relatively open area on the deck. He proceeds to lay down his pack and spread out his bedroll, setting up camp where the group might be able to stay close together. He scans the horizon and feels the winds, hoping the good weather holds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival, DC 15 to predict the weather: (1d20+4)[24]

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

There is a strong wind behind you and it looks like it's bringing a light rain with it. Nothing too bad.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

With a final wave and comment for the crowd,
    "So long, good people; until we return!" Ben heads aboard and finds Ever. Following the example of the Ranger, Ben sets his bedroll out in the space and rigs his canvas as a windbreak/shelter before relaxing on his bedroll.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Devka climbs on board and looks around for a corner, or a place, where it will be hard for people to sneak up on him but is still relativley close to Ever. Once he finds an ideal spot he sets up his bed roll, sits down on it, pulls out one of his daggers and looks at it.
    No. No one is going to be able to get me here
    He then puts his dagger back, lies down and admires the sky.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin spends all of the time on the boat on the deck, or barring that with his horse. He sleeps fitfully, nervous because of the last time he'd been on a boat and only somewhat comforted by the fact that the crew seems to actually know what they're doing. The cramped-even-for-halflings accomodations are also not helping, which is beginning to be a theme with him. Anybody who talks to him during the journey finds him irritable and wondering what he's gotten himself into, but not actively hostile except perhaps towards Nygdath. He doesn't really smile to anybody but Athedru, who he knows and likes, and Ben, who's done him a few good turns but about whom he still isn't entirely sure.

After the first night, he prepares the spells he thinks he might need on a boat.