New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive (1d20-1)[9]

He gives Kevst a stern look, "I think his back is broken," he says, "What about a healer? Is one of you a healer?"
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-10-28 at 03:20 PM.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ever realizes that Kevst is trying to protect the potions for the group, but it could be a matter of life and death. Ever figures that he used his potion for the group, so he may as well claim back one of the group's potions. He doesn't want to discredit Kevst, so he clumsily tries to save face.

"Uh.. Actually, think we got one more... uhh.. buried one in there.. bottom."

As he speaks, Ever goes up to Kevst and reaches into the basket, making a little too much of a show of how hard it is to find the potions. At long last, he clutches one of the vials and lifts it out of the basket, presenting it with a proudly satisfied look like a child who solved a puzzle.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I basically "take 2" on a Bluff check? It's not an epic fail, but anyone paying attention should realize that he's just playing along with Kevst's lie instead of contradicting him outright. Ever doesn't do subtle well. Well, socially, at least. (sorry Ozzy)

Also, he's only holding the potion, so if someone wants to speak up before he hands it over, there's a chance.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

After a minute or two, Dreev flew back onto Athedru's shoulder, giving me a sharp peck, forcing him to give Graorin some space, as he smiled sheepishly.

"I-I'm s-so sorry I could stop you from getting i-i-injured..."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

The brother of the injured man takes your potion gratefully and rushes over to him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Light Wounds (1d8+1)[9]
    Like Graorin he coughs and the colour returns to his face as his wounds close and the magic revitalises him. He remains unconscious though.

"Thank you, " he calls and he walks back to you, "I'm sorry. I thought we would be of help in your hunt. It looks like we just messed it up for you. I'm Terrin and my sleeping brother is Berrin. We're Lightfoots. That's my cousin, Jorn Tanglelock. We'll help you take Old Claws back to Bridge if you like. You'll get a good price for the shell and the meat. Jorn's da will see to that." With that he goes over to the giant crab and unpacks some ropes to tie it up.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-10-30 at 09:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin leans up on his elbows as soon as Athedru gets off of him. His vision swims before his eyes and, very slowly, begins to coalesce into recognizable shapes.

...the claw grabbed him round the middle and squeezed, nearly slicing him in half as it lifted him into the air...

He coughs and sits up, grasping his head as though from a splitting headache. That was definitely not an experience he's ever had before, nor one he cares to repeat.

He's furious, at the idiot hunters that followed them and got them into this mess, at Athedru for staying behind to help, at himself for failing to cast the spell... but he's too exhausted to express that anger. For now.

So he just sits on the ground and listens to what goes on around him, and doesn't answer Athedru's apology at all (Terrin's isn't even worth mentioning here).

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"I think we've all had quite enough adventure for one day, let's get this thing back to town and see what good it does us. I've secured us lodgings and a boat for the onward trip in a few days; once we've disposed of our 'catch' we can get some rest."

Ben offers a hand to Graorin to help him stand, "are you well enough to walk back unassisted friend?"
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-11-01 at 11:20 AM.
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin brushes Ben off and stands up. He begins trudging back in the direction of town without saying anything.

Let's just hope he doesn't have to make any standard actions along the way.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Devka leans in close to Ben and whispers, "I think he may be a tad annoyed, nearly being cut in half can do that to a person"
    Then he walks over to the halflings tying the rope and carefully watches them.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

The spearmen manage to turn the crab into its back and loop ropes around it. They put their fallen friend on the belly and then slowly begin to drag it in the direction of the town. They don't get far. It's simply too heavy for them to move more than a few feet.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250

BlackDragon

Ever walks up to the spearmen as they falter in their progress. He unsheathes his dagger, and using it to point at the giant crab, he questions everyone within earshot.

"So... cut 'im up, take what we can.. or... leave 'im, get wagon?"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin just keeps walking back towards town; if the rest of the party dallies over the crab corpse (the crabpse?), he'll be out of sight before very long.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru looks apologetically back at those wrestling with the crab, but he shuffles his feet, keeping a few metres behind Graorin with his head down, silently just following his human friend, while Dreev slowly circles overhead.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Wait here a moment" he says to the rest then Ben runs after .

"Hold on friend; I know you have had a rough time out here but if we can get this beast back to town we can at least get some benefit from your endeavours. The town's folk have had problems with this beast in the past, returning with its corpse would certainly go a long way to improving our reputation around here. But I doubt that there's any way we smal folk can move it back to town without your help my friend; what do you say?" Ben puts on his most sensible, but friendly face throughout his monologue.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin pauses as he is addressed. My endeavors. he thinks to himself. Like I wanted anything to do with this. "I say no," he says brusquely, without even bothering to look at Ben at all, then keeps walking, or rather limping, back to town.

15. - Top - End - #255

BlackDragon

Seeing that some of the group is stubbornly leaving without delay, Ever says, "Well... can we get a wagon... send it back?..." After a couple moments of hesitation, he realizes half the group will be left behind again if they take too much time to decide on things. He doesn't really understand why they thought they should go for a hunt when they had so little time to report back, nor why they aren't concerned with their catch. But Ever knows Graorin is not in great shape, and waiting around could prove costly.

With all of these thoughts flowing through his mind, the couple moments of hesitation grows into a decidedly longer pause, and Ever very slowly starts stepping in the direction of Graorin, Athedru, and Ben. His expression still looks undecided as his question hangs in the air, but he's more concerned with keeping the group together than with the remains of the giant crab.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the group walk off without them the halflings abandon their ropes, pick up their wounded companion and hurry after you. Although somewhat subdued they talk to you as you go, continually apologising for messing up the hunt and the plan that they imagine Graorin had. They ask where you'll be staying and how long you're in Bridge for and a few other polite enquiries. When you reach the gates of Bridge they leave telling you that they'll fetch the crab and meet up with you later in the day at The Dead Man's Rest, assuming you've told them where you're staying.

That night at the Inn several groups of halflings approach you to confirm the stories that they've heard about you killing Old Claws. Several rounds of drinks are bought for you and at some point the Terrin, Berrin, swathed in bandages, and Jorn arrive with several older men. One, who introduces himself as Lock Tanglelock, is particularly effusive in his thanks and laments what he calls "the idiocy of youth" that could easily have gotten his son and his two friends killed. He has three potions of cure light wounds that he gives to Ever "to replace what you used up because of the young'uns" and a chest of hack silver, "payment for that old crab meat and shell," it totals some 100 gold.

Some time later Madam Arvo Desinn, the woman that was speaking to Young Ben earlier finds him and discretely pulls him to one side. "I've got some news for you. My friend wants to meet you. Tomorrow at noon, by the water tower." She waits for an answer before leaving you to your drinks.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah frick, three minutes too late... *sigh* :(

Spoiler
    Show
    Kevst knew they shouldn't have healed the giant. He wanders off here all by himself, nearly gets himself killed by a giant crab, and several others with him, and no he doesn't give a damn. Kevst was late to the party, but if there was some loot to be had from the massive corpse of this crab, he wanted in.

Seeing Ben fail in his earnest attempt to get Graorin to come back, Kevst went over to him and whispered, "Let him go, he isn't worth your trouble - or any of ours. Let's get this crab back to town and get a good price for it, to hell with the giant."

Kevst walked over to the crab carcass and said to the halflings there, "I'm not terribly strong, but if there is a cut for me, I'll help however I can."
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-11-04 at 04:22 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

On the way back to town Graorin casts cure minor wounds on himself so he isn't on the verge of dying, at least. It heals only one point but you take what you can get.

When he reaches Bridge, he at least seems to recognize the futility of his situation. No matter where he goes people will recognize him, and it won't be long before their "heroism" becomes the talk of the town. So he doesn't try to barricade himself in his room, much as he would like to; rather, he sits in the common room and accepts the praise and thanks through gritted teeth. The rounds of drinks he accepts rather more readily, of course.

And if he can get his hands on one of those healing potions for himself, he most definitely will.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben replies,
    "I will there; with one of my companions to act as a chaperone" this last said with a false innocence "just in case anything inappropriate were to occur." he finishes, with a wink. "Will we have the pleasure of your company tomorrow?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Turning on the charm, so it had better be a diplomacy check (1d20+7)[24]

As the evening unfolds, Ben works the room for gossip and other local knowledge about recent events; information is a tool, even a weapon for someone like Ben.

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably some gather information checks for good measure:
    (1d20+3)[14]
    (1d20+3)[6]
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-11-05 at 09:58 AM.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Madam Arvo winks back at you, "Something in your eye, lover?" she laughs before turning serious, "No, I'll not be there. I just make the connections, the rest is up to you. Any funny business and that'll be that."

Young Ben does pick up a few curious snippets. As far as you can piece together the smugglers who operate the area haven't been seen for a few weeks. The supply of cheap goods has all but dried up. They would suspect the revenue man, whoever that is, had succeeded in capturing the smugglers but that sort of thing gets announced very loudly to everyone. No such announcement has taken place.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261

BlackDragon

Ever warmly thanks Lock for the potions and the chest, sharing with him his reassurances that "everyone's okay... now's just a good story..." And with a big grin, Ever spreads his arms wide, spilling some of his drink in the process, and boisterously exclaims, "It was THIS big!!" He's very pleased with himself for such a clever joke.

As the night continues, Ever never takes credit for the kill, but he eagerly shares the details of the battlefield as he found it. He also asks a few questions and keeps his ears open for any more news of the islands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information: (1d20)[9]

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunately Ever spends more time talking that listening. That or the copious amounts of free beer he drinks make him forget what he has learned.

The next morning you wake to the noises and smells of cooking in the bar below. A heart breakfast is served, mostly consisting of crab, fish and a strong black bread soaked in olive oil and garlic butter. There are also various fruits soaked in brine. For those who don't wish to smell like the locals there are salads with parsley, seeds and nuts that take the edge off the strong flavours and odours. As seems to be the custom there is far too much to eat in one go and whatever is left over is wrapped in grease proof paper and given to you to take with you or gathered up for those who don't leave the inn after the meal.

The town itself is very busy with much of the the wood and livestock delivered yesterday is being resold to visitors. Some of the wood is clearly used for building work which means that some walkways become quickly inaccessible or cluttered with local women watching the work men. Amid the clatter of carpentry and hidden under scaffold poles is the shape of a water tower. It is being built not far from the existing one and is only a short walk from the Dead Man's Rest. It seems that most the town's water is imported and stored in these water towers for communal use. A handful of priests and druids contribute to keeping the tower topped up and use the opportunity to give sermons throughout the day. Along with the bridges there is also an elaborate network of piping from drainpipes into the tower and many homes look to have their own water butts for collecting rain water.

You're free to scout the area, do some shopping or just pick up rumours again but midday comes quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Who is going to the water tower? What are the rest of you doing? For those who wish to buy supplies the GP limit for Bridge is 800gp and most things can be found here including potions, scrolls, 0th and 1st level spell wands and even some wondrous items.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

As the group readies themselves for the new day, Ben says "I think it best if Ever and I keep the appointment with our contact, but perhaps if you were to find yourselves in the general area of the water tower at midday it might be useful to have some friends in the crowd?" directly to Ever he continues, "Ever, shall I meet you there shortly before midday? If you approach from the East and I from the West at least we will have a feel for the place before we start."

Spending some time browsing the wares of the town, Ben makes his way to the tower to meet Ever.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks on the way to the tower:
    (1d20+1)[18]
    (1d20+1)[4]
    (1d20+1)[18]
    Record:

RAT POWER!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin doesn't allow anybody to tend to his wounds overnight (+1 hp for resting), and is noncommittal and irritable the entire evening. The next morning he refreshes his spells in the morning and casts cure light wounds on himself ((1d8+1)[7] - he prepares it twice in case he'll need the second one (EDIT: Guess he doesn't need the second one.)).

Having learned his lesson from the previous day, Graorin doesn't wander off into the wilderness again. But he doesn't want to stay in town either. So he leads Val to the edge of town and finds a suitable rock to sit on and think.

After a half an hour or so he pulls the darkwood quarterstaff out from where it is strapped to his back and considers it closely. Might as well learn to use it. It looks like a good weapon. He spends time practicing until/unless interrupted, and when he gets hungry spears some small animal for food.
    Last edited by Avi235&258; 2012-11-06 at 09:04 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Devka wakes up refreshed from his previous fight with the crab. After his breakfast at the inn he finds a spot near the see, sits down and starts to clean his axe from the blood of yesterday. Once he has done this he checks each of his daggers in turn before putting them back securly in place.

Then he wanders the town and just keeps an ear open for anything useful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather information (1d20)[13]

I think I'll go to the water towers at midday, i don't trust whatever shady contact they are trying to meet and i can't leave Ever with no protection. Not that i don't trust Ben, it's just he doesn't seem like a warrior

26. - Top - End - #266

BlackDragon

After a hearty breakfast, Ever agrees to Ben's suggestion, asking a couple questions about the contact they are meeting.

Ever walks about the town for a little while before making his way back to the water tower from the East. He keeps an eye out, though he doesn't understand why Ben is so worried about scoping everything out.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm assuming Ben doesn't let Ever in on the questionable nature of the contacts. He's going clueless.
    Spot: (1d20+3)[9]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[15]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[19]

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru leaves as early as he could, quicky scouting the streets with Dreev. His human friend has almost died from the lack of potions, and it created a fear that it might happen again. As such, he quickly bought as many healing potions as he could, as several other items he used to make a scarecrow version of himself made of firewood, tied together with rope, and on a crude face, one piece of parchment paper is tied there, with a sad face written in chalk. In one outstretched hand is a box made of parchment paper, sewed together, with the words 'Sorry' scrawled outside. Inside the parcel is a bell. He puts the scarecrow where Graorin can see it when he comes back, in the safety of the human's room, then rushes off to the water tower to help his other friends.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 potions of clw (100gp), a bell (1 gp), sewing needle (5 sp), 2 parchments (sheet) (4 sp), Rope, hempen (50 ft.) (1 gp), Chalk, 1 piece (1 cp), Firewood (1 day) (1 cp)

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

With no where else to be Kevst follows Ben around. As he browses around the town Kevst tries to strike up a conversation about their tall companion.

"So.. what are your thoughts about what just went down with the crab? Am I the only one thinking that Graorin is going to get us killed sooner or later?"
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Glad that Kevst has tagged along, and even more so that he is willing to have a conversation Ben replies:
    "Whilst I don't know what possessed our companions to go off like that, I get the feeling that they didn't set out to go hunting the beast. That said, hanging round with Graorin does attractant lot of attention and sooner or later that may include people who wish us harm. It certainly makes it more difficult for me to blend in and ply my trade once I have been seen with him in public. I may have to start wearing a disguise when we travel!

When we get to the water tower later I'd be obliged if you would hang back a little to provide an extra set of eyes and a little extra security?"
    Record:

RAT POWER!

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

As Ben and Ever approach the water tower Ben catches the glint of glass reflecting light from the roof of a building about 50 feet away. It seems as if someone is watching the walkways from the rooftop with a spyglass. As you notice him he puts down his glass and very clearly holds up his hand, showing all five fingers. With that an incredible thin and frail looking halfling walks towards you from where you were heading. He has three wands in his belt and even the weight of his cloak seems to be too much for him. He is flanked by a tough looking fellow in scratched up leather armour who does not smile as you approach and keeps both hands on a pair of daggers at his hips.

"You were supposed to bring one other, not four others," he wheezes, "At least you're smart enough to leave the giant at home though. Walk with me." He sets off slowly, heading towards the crowded stairs by the older water tower. The thug with him moves ahead and places himself in the stairway, stopping others from walking down. When the thin man arrives he lets the three of you through before moving to block the way again. Walking down the stairs Young Ben and Ever lose sight of the walkways above where the others are and they lose sight of you.

Some people are coming up the stairwell and he doesn't speak until they have passed you all, "I get it, I really do. You don't trust me. That'll come with time as our business arrangements prove beneficial to the both of us. Desinn tells me you want fast passage and you're willing to pay. Is that right?"
    Spoiler
    Show