New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew Martial Discipline Compendium

Clambering Wolverine: the school of climbing your enemies.

I still have nothing for open lock.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2013-01-03 at 02:52 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

There is Xefas' discipline, but it's unfinished. If we don't count unfinished disciplines, there's prolly some more skills that still could see some use. Plus those unused Knowledge skills, and perhaps the few useful Craft and Profession skills, such as Profession (siege engineer), Profession (sailor) or Profession (cook). And why isn't there one yet based on Craft (poison)? Or Craft (weaponsmithing)/(armorsmithing)?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Profession Siege Engineer....

You know, a catapult discipline could be interesting. Rapid reload. One-man crew. Have your ammo land in a line, or hit an area. Flaming shots. Ignore hardness. Collapse structures with pin-point precision.

I think I'll try it later.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    That's a 3.0 skill...
    So? It's actually a function of CL checks anyway, which I checked. Darn.

Oh, well, it might work if I was deciding to be silly.

I mean, having "ranks" in it would end up just giving you the ability to detect, reverse, or negate scrying. And a discipline about moving around your sight would be kinda interesting (you ever play one of those puzzle-platformers where the playing field shifts based on what angle you look at it?)

Other fun skills that I don't think have been used are... well, there's only Handle Humanoid. And I don't think I'm going to do that one...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

SirPercival, a page or so back I linked the Prestige Class I had created and the school that went with it. I have been playtesting both a little in the last few days and they have been good. If you wanted to add it I believe I linked it on the top of page 2 maybe?

Is there a particular skill that needs to be done? I would totally be willing to take a crack at something. Which skills don't have a representative school?

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by lunaramblings View Post
    SirPercival, a page or so back I linked the Prestige Class I had created and the school that went with it. I have been playtesting both a little in the last few days and they have been good. If you wanted to add it I believe I linked it on the top of page 2 maybe?

Is there a particular skill that needs to be done? I would totally be willing to take a crack at something. Which skills don't have a representative school?
    That one's been added already.

If you wanted to help make suggestions for Conquered Mountain, that would be awesome
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

7. - Top - End - #67

Conquered Mountain I am guessing is based on Climb? I don't see it in the table on page 1. Is there a link to what is done so far?

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by lunaramblings View Post
    Conquered Mountain I am guessing is based on Climb? I don't see it in the table on page 1. Is there a link to what is done so far?
    Oh, I didn't add it yet. Here's the link.

gitp extended sig

9. - Top - End - #69

Can't... Stay... Away...

Open Defenses
    Open Way Strike
    Level: 1
    Action: Standard

You pick apart your enemy's ability to parry and dodge as if they were an inefficient lock. Make an Open Lock check opposed by your target's AC. If yours is higher, your target becomes flat-footed until the start of your next turn.

Open Veins
    Open Way Strike
    Level: 3

You find the most efficient route for your enemy's blood to leave his body. Make an attack with a slashing or piercing weapon. If it succeeds, your enemy continues to take half that much damage on your turn every successive round until he receives magical healing.

Open Stomach
    Open Way Strike
    Level: 4
    Target: A creature that has creatures in its stomach by a swallow whole attack

Make an Open Lock check opposed by the target's AC. If yours is higher, all swallowed creatures may go free. You can use this either inside or outside of the creature.

Open Ribs
    Open Way Strike
    Level: 8
    Prerequisites: 2 Open Way maneuvers

You find your way through your enemy's ribs and gently remove its heart. Make an Open Lock check at a -10 penalty opposed by the target's AC. If yours is higher, the creature dies. This only works on creatures with rib cages and hearts. This is a supernatural maneuver.

Open Mind
    Open Way Strike
    Level: 9
    Prerequisites: 4 Open Way maneuvers

You find your way through your enemy's psychological defenses. Make an Open Lock check opposed by the target's bluff check, concentration check or will save (his choice). If yours is higher, you may alter its beliefs, values and loyalties however you wish. You cannot give it knowledge or skills that you do not possess. This is a supernatural maneuver.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2013-01-03 at 11:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Ok. So I through this together. Not my best work, but figured it might be a decent starting point. Let me know what you think.

Crashing Avalanche
    The discipline of the Crashing Avalance was created by the Goliath warrior, Aukaun Longleaper Katho. Aukaun was the last survivor of his tribe. Fleeing into the highest reaches of the mountains to evade the trolls that had fallen upon his village, Aukaun found his way to a cave. Within the cave were the unfinished writings of an unknown Martial Adept. They described a style that the adept had been working on when he died. Based on the use of the Mountain itself as a weapon. Aukaun took these writings. He meditated and watched the animals on the slopes. The way the goats moved, the way the eagles soared, all of these things led Aukaun to his magnum opus. It took a year for him to complete his work, and when he did, he brought it down the mountain to seek vengeance on the trolls below. None withstood the brutality of his assault. .

1st Level:

Battering of the Ram (Strike): You may charge over any terrain without penalty. At the end of the charge you may make a single attack which deals double damage.

Ascend the Steepe (Stance): You gain a climb speed equal to your land speed in addition you gain a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Switchback (Strike): To initiate this strike you must be standing within reach of a vertical surface. You may make a climb check as normal for the surface. You may move upto your normal movement speed up the surface before propelling yourself backward and down onto your victim. For every 10 feet you fall you deal an additional 1d6 damage.

2nd Level:

Boulder Crash (Strike): Your blows crash upon your foes like boulders rolling down a mountainside. The sheer force of your strikes is staggering. As a standard action, you make an attack. You deal an extra 2d6 damage and the target of your attack must make a Fortitude Save DC 12 + Strength Modifier, failure renders the target dazed for 1 round.

Slip the Gap (Counter): Your capability in climbing has taught you a great deal of kinesthetic awareness. You may make a Climb check in place of any Escape Artist check.

3rd Level:

Roots of the Mountain (Stance): You channel your strength through the very ground. You embrace the power and fortitude of the very mountain. While in this stance you may use a Climb check in defense against trips, bull rush, or overrun.

Goat’s Grace (Stance) You have studied the movements of the animals of the mountain slopes. Their grace and strength are familiar. You gain a Climb Speed equal to 2x your base land speed. In addition you gain a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. You may make such checks with only a single hand free, allowing you to wield a weapon or shield while climbing.

Yeti’s Fury (Boost): You channel the rage and fury of the Yeti. By mimicking his fervor you can commit vicious attacks or engage in incredible feats of strength. You double your strength modifier until the start of your next turn.

Avalanche of Pain (Strike): You strike out at your foe with a massive overhand swing. The sheer power of which is terrifying. You deal an extra 2d10 damage.

4th Level:

Improved Battering of the Ram (Strike): You may charge over any terrain without penalty. At the end of the charge you may make a single attack which deals triple damage.

Climbing Dodge (Counter): As long as you are within reach of a climbable surface, your movements can confound your foes. You may make a Climb check in response to an attack. This check replaces your AC.

Delve Deep (Strike): To initiate this strike you must begin at least 10 feet above your target. You make a diving charge, at the end of which you deal an additional 5d6 damage.

5th Level:

Stone Giant’s Lament (Stance): This stance mimics the natural strength and power of the Stone Giant. While in this stance you gain the ability to throw stones for 2d6+Str damage. In addition you are treated as if 1 size category larger for the purposes of opposed checks.

Stone Monkey Attack (Strike): You may make a Climb check against the AC of your target. This allows you to scurry over your opponent in a furious attack, striking viciously. This flurry of attacks deals 5d8 damage.

Giant’s Stride (Boost): As an immediate action you may move at twice your base speed until the start of your next turn.
    6th Level:

Frost Giant Swipe (Strike): Mimicking the might of the Frost Giant you deliver a massive blow to your foe. This strike deal 5d10 damage and ignores DR and Hardness.

Fell the Mighty (Strike): This maneuver is usable only against a foe at least 2 size categories. As a Full Round Action, you make a Climb check in place of each attack that you would normally make in a full attack. As you do you scale your victim, striking at every weak point you come across. Each successive attack deals a cumulative 1d6 damage.
    7th Level:

Bombardment of Stone (Strike): Your blow crashes upon your foe like an avalanche. The sheer force of your strike is immense. As a standard action, you make an attack. You deal an extra 6d6 damage and the target of your attack must make a Fortitude Save DC 17 + Strength Modifier, failure renders the target dazed for 1 round.

Greater Switchback (Strike): To initiate this strike you must be standing within reach of a vertical surface. You may make a climb check as normal for the surface. You may move up to your normal movement speed up the surface before propelling yourself backward and down onto your victim. For every 10 feet you fall you deal an additional 2d6 damage.

8th Level:

Storm Giant’s Guard (Stance): You gain a Natural Armor bonus to your AC equal to your Initiator Level. You may make a Climb Check once per round to negate a single attack.

Scurrying Spider (Stance): You gain a climb speed equal to 3x your base land speed. In addition you gain a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. You may make such checks with only a single hand free, allowing you to wield a weapon or shield while climbing. In addition you need only have 2 points of contact, allowing you to engage in combat freely while climbing.

Greater Battering of the Ram (Strike): You may charge over any terrain without penalty. At the end of the charge you may make a single attack which deals quadruple damage. Further, the target must make a Fortitude Save DC 18 + Strength Modifier or be nauseated by the sheer pain of the attack.

9th Level:

Death Descending (Strike): You must initiate this attack from at least 10 ft above your target. You use your climbing skill to propel yourself downward from your perch, delivering a devastating attack. You make a Climb check to aim your descent toward your target, if successful, you deal normal damage as if you had initiated the Delve Deep Strike. The target must make a Fortitude Check DC 19+Str. On a failure they are reduced to -10 HP. If they are successful, they take 20d6 damage. All damage dealt in this attack ignores DR and Hardness.
    Last edited by lunaramblings; 2013-01-03 at 11:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Crashing Avalanche and Open Way seem cool.

Added Seven-Forged Sword, my first [Epic] discipline! Wheee

gitp extended sig

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Were these missed, or just not appropriate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    You're missing Arcane Sun and Blackened Moon, though they are not your typical disciplines.

The alterations to various disciplines for the purposes of the Desert Warblade substitution in the previous post may also be worth mentioning... somewhere?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm just posting here more to reserve a post than anything, but...

I've almost got my first ever full discipline statted out, by the name of Perfect Seamstress.

Prepare for armor-breakin' goodness!
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    Were these missed, or just not appropriate?
    Oh right, I forgot. I'll take a look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I'm just posting here more to reserve a post than anything, but...

I've almost got my first ever full discipline statted out, by the name of Perfect Seamstress.

Prepare for armor-breakin' goodness!
    I'm jiggling with anticipation! Do be sure to post it in a separate thread, though.

gitp extended sig

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

And here's a link to the (nearly completed, just needs review and a pair of maneuvers) Perfect Seamstress discipline!

16. - Top - End - #76

This thread needs more epic disciplines. None of these are mine, but none of them are listed either.

Celestial Impetus
    The Nine Petaled Lotus
    March of Aeons

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Zarthrax View Post
    This thread needs more epic disciplines. None of these are mine, but none of them are listed either.

Celestial Impetus
    The Nine Petaled Lotus
    March of Aeons
    Well... derp. I didn't add my own discipline!

gitp extended sig

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Although I love the idea and excecution of Arcane Sun and Blackened Moon the spell choice is just.... off. I did remake the spell list on them to make them more thematic. I have Arcane sun completed but Blackened moon still working on.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nightraiderx View Post
    Although I love the idea and excecution of Arcane Sun and Blackened Moon the spell choice is just.... off. I did remake the spell list on them to make them more thematic. I have Arcane sun completed but Blackened moon still working on.
    Ultimately I thought the cost for them was too high; πd6 was amazingly too conservative with his Arcane Desert Swordsage I think.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Blackened Moon (Spell Redux)

Counterpart: Shadow Hand

1st Level: (No prerequisites)

Chill of the Grave [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Ebon Eyes [SpC] - Stance, swift
    Ice Dagger [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Net of Shadows - Boost, swift
    Nightshield [SpC] - Counter, immediate

2nd Level: (No prerequisites)
    Greater Invisibility - Boost, swift
    Creeping Cold [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Hunter's Eye - Boost, swift
    Wracking Touch - Strike, standard
    Shadow double - boost,swift

3rd Level: (Requires 1 Blackened Moon maneuver)
    Corona of Cold [SpC] - Stance, swift
    Cloud of Knives [PHB2] - Stance, swift
    Shadow Binding - Strike, full round
    Spider Poison - Boost, swift
    Shadow Spray [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Spider Climb - Stance, swift

4th Level: (Requires 1 Blackened Moon maneuver)

Armor of Darkness [SpC] - Counter, immediate
    Greater Blink [SpC] - Counter, immediate
    Icelance [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Shadow Form [SpC] - Boost, swift
    Cursed Blade - Boost, swift
    Mindfrost- Strike, standard

5th Level: (Requires 2 Blackened Moon maneuvers)
    Night Stalker's Transformation- Stance, swift (special: remove spell casting clause)
    Blindsight - Stance, swift
    Touch of Vecna - Strike, Standard
    Ray of Dizziness [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Shadowy Grappler [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Superior Invisibility [SpC] - Boost, swift

6th Level: (Requires 2 Blackened Moon maneuvers)
    Dragon Breath [SpC] - Boost, swift - (Special: White, Brass, Copper, or Silver only)
    Mirror Image - Counter, immediate
    Night's Caress [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Heart Freeze - Strike, standard

7th Level: (Requires 3 Blackened Moon maneuvers)
    Fleshshiver [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Shadow Phase [SpC] - Stance, swift
    Slay Living - Strike, standard

8th Level: (Requires 3 Blackened Moon maneuvers)

Flensing [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Ghostform [SpC] - Counter, immediate
    Heat Drain [SpC] - Strike, full-round
    Shadow Walk - Stance, swift - (Special: You may have any number of willing allies within 30 ft share the effects of this stance)

9th Level: (Requires 4 Blackened Moon maneuvers)

Energy Drain [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Field of Icy Razors [SpC] - Strike, full-round - (Special: Range is long instead of medium)

Arcane Sun (Spell Redux)

Counterpart: Desert Wind

1st Level: (No prerequisites)
    Burning Sword - Stance, swift
    Accelerated Movement [SpC] - Stance, swift
    Blades of Fire [SpC] - Boost, swift
    Burning Hands - Strike, standard
    Expeditious Retreat - Boost, swift
    Critical Strike - Strike, standard

2nd Level: (No prerequisites)

Bladeweave [SpC] - Boost, swift
    Fly - Boost, swift
    Heatstroke [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Combust [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Gust of Wind- Counter, immediate

3rd Level: (Requires 1 Arcane Sun maneuver)
    Body Blaze [SpC] - Stance, swift (special: stance resets every three rounds)
    Searing Light [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Downdraft [SpC] - Strike, full-round
    Wind wall - Counter, immediate
    Haste - Boost, swift
    Wreath of Flames [DM] - Stance, swift

4th Level: (Requires 1 Arcane Sun maneuver)
    Blast of Flame [SpC] - Strike, full-round
    Freedom of Movement - Counter, immediate
    Parboil - Strike, standard
    Fire Stride -Boost, swift

5th Level: (Requires 2 Arcane Sun maneuvers)
    Flame Strike [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Firestride Exhalation [DM] - Strike, full-round
    Inferno [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Firebrand -Strike, standard
    Divine Agility - Counter, swift
    Flaywind Burst- Counter, immediate
    Fires of Purity - Stance,swift

6th Level: (Requires 2 Arcane Sun maneuvers)
    Haste- Stance, swift
    Haze of Smoldering Stone [DM] - Strike, full-round - (Special: Does not grant fire resistance for knowing the maneuver)
    Lucent Lance [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Wall of Fire - Counter, immediate
    Emerald Flame Fist- Boost, swift

7th Level: (Requires 3 Arcane Sun maneuvers)
    Cyclonic Blast [SpC] - Strike, full-round
    Sunburst - Strike, full-round
    Ray of Light [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Brilliant Blade- Boost, swift
    Elemental Body -Stance, swift (fire elemental version with added air ability)

8th Level: (Requires 3 Arcane Sun maneuvers)
    Detonate [PHB2] - Strike, standard
    Radiant Assault [SpC] - Strike, standard
    Fire Storm - Strike, full-round
    Wind Walk - Stance, swift - (Special: You may have any number of willing allies within 30 ft share the effects of this stance)

9th Level: (Requires 4 Arcane Sun maneuvers)
    Deadly Sunstroke [CM] - Strike, standard

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

At a guess, this is probably not the best place to put these. You should probably start your own thread.

22. - Top - End - #82

Added Open Jaws and Devouring Crypt.

gitp extended sig

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Not the best or most original, but here are two disciplines I made:

IMPERIAL PARLAY: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276151

and
    IRONCLAD CUISENAIRE: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275780
    "Bender knows love, and love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"- Bender Bending Rodriguez

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Answerer: "πd6"
    Pi d6? I'm confused, 3.14(yadayada)d6 is an odd number.

25. - Top - End - #85

Fixed a couple things, and added xaotiq1's two disciplines.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviston View Post
    Pi d6? I'm confused, 3.14(yadayada)d6 is an odd number.
    ???

gitp extended sig

26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground

Volitant Feather, by me. The associated skill is Balance. It's all about the birds, man. In the other posts, the feats and items that are standard for disciplines are included, along with a few monsters that use the discipline and a deity to sew it all together are included at the end.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

27. - Top - End - #87

Added, thank you!

If anyone else sees more, please drop the links here.

gitp extended sig

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'd just like to give you a link to the Tainted Soul Discipline.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15565886
    Dream Mirror Discipline
    Tainted Soul Discipline
    The Steel Emperor Forge Master 1/2
    Generation 13
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Say, out of all of these, which are the ones most actually used? Which are the most popular?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Say, out of all of these, which are the ones most actually used? Which are the most popular?
    I do play with Xefas styles quite a bit. Mostly with Relentless Dusk and the Malfeasant Heart. The former all but demands to be the tankiest tank that ever tanked, while he can be a solo enemy that AC is all but unbeatable and with unavoidable damage he doesn't do a terrible amount unless he's suitably cheesed. Still a fun way to force the players to find way other then beating at it's AC.

The Malfeasant Heart is brutally straight forward and tends to be a Hit Hard and Die Hard enemy for the party. Fights against him don't last more then 4 rounds and absolute brain scrambling luck. He either kills a player character or two and dies or just dies.

I have the BBEG be a major user of the Cosmic Imperator discipline because it's sheer story potential. Sadly I've yet to unleash him as of now.
    Dream Mirror Discipline
    Tainted Soul Discipline
    The Steel Emperor Forge Master 1/2
    Generation 13
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.