New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Sauric World.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Sauric World.

To my Epic Tristalt Players and Such....STAY OUT!!!
    *Ahem*

The Area in question is a Dino Land area, (And Maps shall be supplied Via Pm for secrecy..) With a Normal level of tech, Mostly Dinosaur things, But a Few Dragon Things because..well..Dragons are awesome for Dino stuff?
    And for a 2nd note, Mostly Carnivore Populated, With (normal human level ) Intellgent Dinosuars, The Velociraptor (Yes I know...), And Tyrannosaurs.
    I have read Broncosaurus Rex already.

Alright, I have A Small Island Area in a Game And I would Like some help with a few things:

Some Fluffy bits On Locals (High ranking and such)
    Some Fluff on Areas.
    And Some Ideas on Local wildlife.

I already have Read LOTRfan's amazing http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...3#post10150303 Thread, And Love it, Just would like some more help on it, Thanks!
    And many Cookies!
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sauric World.

Alright, I have A Small Island Area in a Game And I would Like some help with a few things:

Some Fluffy bits On Locals (High ranking and such)
    Some Fluff on Areas.
    And Some Ideas on Local wildlife.
    I think the best way to go about populating your setting with NPCs is to design the NPCs as though you were designing PCs for a high-powered campaign. Each major NPC is going to have as much (if not more) character goals and influence on the setting as any PC. Simply think, "what kind of character would *I* want to run if I wasn't the GM", and then repeat that until you have as many NPCs as you need. (Just don't get too attached to your NPCs, the players may try to kill them.)

Regions are a little more difficult. Usually it's best to define a town or city by the thing it does best. A farming village revolves around harvests, preserving food, and shipping food to the lord who owns the land. A port town is based on servicing sailing vessels, moving trade goods, and extracting taxes to send them to the government. Obviously, all of your conflict, plot, and questing is going to arise whenever any one of those aspects is negatively impacted (ankhegs chewing on the crops, sea monsters attacking ships, smugglers trying to avoid taxes, etc etc etc).

Local wildlife isn't too hard, just start reading up on dinosaurs. Keep in mind, dinosaurs varied widely in size. Your party might laugh when they see a swarm of chicken-sized lizards, but they won't be laughing when that swarm tries to eat them. Insects were also very large in that time period, so using giant insects of any kind will work for you. Stirges are a great low-level option, and you can move up from there. You can also add templates to dinosaurs to make them less predictable, nothing says "high fantasy" like a half-red-dragon t-rex!
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-10-25 at 06:40 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Sauric World.

Wow...Thats why I posted here, Because of Great People like yourself, Alright, Notes taken.

Anymore Great Ideas?

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    (Just don't get too attached to your NPCs, the players may try to kill them.)

A little to late....
    Last edited by ShadowFireLance; 2012-10-25 at 07:03 PM.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig