New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What DO we really want to see? [TV / Movies]

I thought as though that I need to put this up.

I mean, it is such a pain that Hollywood gives us Twilight, inaccurate movies based on novels, and others.

Although the Hobbit and Wreck - It - Ralph are pretty good, and so is the Grimm television series.

But seriously: what do WE WANT to watch?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What DO we really want to see? [TV / Movies]

Good acting, clever dialog, interesting stories.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A HBO version of the Dresden Files series. Only they could do it justice.

Shame it'll likely never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post

That. Gimme that, and I have everything I want. Though I'll also take more David Tennant as Doctor Who, if I can't have Dresden.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I want to see a movie where a group of natives is the good guy without a nordic/NW European man at the helm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't care if it is Greeks defending themselves against Persians or Space Aliens vs. Humans (or even space aliens vs. space aliens) but if I see one more John Carter the World Fixing White Man one more time I am going to scream! Dances with Wolves was a good movie, but there is no need to remake it every year.

I wouldn't mind seeing the opposite either; a movie about an imperialist government that argues from a pragmatic instead of nationalist point of view.

I would also like to see a disaster movie set in Pompeii. Films have proven they can make HD disaster effects with movies like The Day after Tomorrow and 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Oh where to start...

a movie series for all books of David Eddings.

an RPG set in the world of David Eddings Begariad/Mallorean and another set in the Tamuli/Elenium

New dragonlance movies(They made a cartoon version of one of them, but nothing after that...)

Movies or perhaps an anime series of the Suikoden games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    New dragonlance movies(They made a cartoon version of one of them, but nothing after that...)
    Yeah, they definitely need to do a MAJOR REDO on the Dragonlance series.

Honestly, how on earth can they make a good Game of Thrones series, but cannot make good Dragonlance movies?

This is what I call, AN OUTRAGE!!!!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

"We" is unclear. Do you mean "we" as in the general public? Or "we" as in just the people here?

The answer seems pretty simple, though, for all of them. We want to see stuff we enjoy. I watch shows I enjoy. It's pretty simple. The films/book/shows/etc. that are successful are the ones that a sufficiently high amount of people enjoy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I just want more Mushishi episodes to be made, in exactly the same style and atmosphere as the originals. For ever.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

A good show about a group of MMORPG gamers that somehow open a portal to their computer fantasy world releasing monsters and powerful magical foes. Now it's up to them to stop the baddies using weapons and magical items from the MMO in real life and save the world

Now, I know what you're thinking: doesn't that already exist? Nope, it doesn't. Because I said "a good show."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    A good show about a group of MMORPG gamers that somehow open a portal to their computer fantasy world releasing monsters and powerful magical foes. Now it's up to them to stop the baddies using weapons and magical items from the MMO in real life and save the world

Because I said "a good show."
    I agree completely. I didnt like the other show you referenced either.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

Personally, I wouldn't mind watching a "First Contact" TV series where the aliens (and the Humans) aren't all evil. The aliens are explorers and they wouldn't mind meeting us, and vice-versa, but it would be interesting to see a mix of alignments on both sides. Some aliens and Humans can see this meeting as a benefit to both sides, while there are those looking to exploit the snot out of each other.

Maybe it works better if the aliens' world is also no more unified than ours. I could see several ships arriving over the course of days/weeks because they were having a Space Race on who can successfully make a round trip with a FTL drive. The Sol System was the chosen target because the system has an abundance of water/ice bearing planets for refueling (They just didn't realize the 3rd planet had intelligent life).
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

I want something optimistic, but in a practical, down-to-earth sort of way. The reason TVTropes used to call it the Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Realism is that most optimistic stories are all rolled up in the confectioner's sugar of magical thinking.

To that end, I especially want a TV series for Michael Flynn's Firestar series, but I know perfectly well there are too many zero-gravity scenes to hack it on the cheap.

I mean, unless private space enterprise really gets rolling, and if it does, Firestar is - well, still inspiring, yes, but kind of redundant.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't mind watching a "First Contact" TV series where the aliens (and the Humans) aren't all evil. The aliens are explorers and they wouldn't mind meeting us, and vice-versa, but it would be interesting to see a mix of alignments on both sides. Some aliens and Humans can see this meeting as a benefit to both sides, while there are those looking to exploit the snot out of each other.

Maybe it works better if the aliens' world is also no more unified than ours. I could see several ships arriving over the course of days/weeks because they were having a Space Race on who can successfully make a round trip with a FTL drive. The Sol System was the chosen target because the system has an abundance of water/ice bearing planets for refueling (They just didn't realize the 3rd planet had intelligent life).
    I'd like a series where humanity finally ventures out into the galaxy and discover there is intelligent life out there but something wiped them out about round the time the dinosaurs were wiped out on Earth...

Eventually reveal the real menace is that a precursor to humanity created the first nanotech life form but it inherited its creator's failings and ended up in a catclysmic war with every succeeding race accidentally awakening the menace and its repeated however some of its creator's race survived to reach Earth only they never managed to rebuild their civilisation and all that was left was the technological wonders they and their successors left behind.

The funny part is that humanity does awaken the nanotech but survive each confrontation although they end up fleeing out of their home system after the nanotech succeed in destroying earth.

The series starts off after a disaster has left the surviving human nations in an uneasy truce and the main cast eventually have to rediscover what happened before it happens again...

Sort of outcast but where they had to work with their rivals rather than what they actually showed... hope that didn't spoil anything for those of you who haven't watched it!

Oh and I wouldn't mind a Mass Effect tv series if you were wondering!

Earth 2 was ok and better than Outcast because at least they dealt with how and why they went where they were going instead of making it look like they sent people who chose to do this rather than film Prometheus instead!

I've only read a few of the dresden books but still liked the tv series!

Only problem I see is a predomination to make it pro whatever nations makes it and that isn't needed in fact it could be used as the reason they're the bad guys in certain situations so if you do try a Traveller 2300 series please don't overdo the french ok?

The Leon from the Godzilla movie was fine, but please remember America is not the only nation on the planet even if a certain cosmonaut showed up everyone in Armageddon (and was a pleasant surprise!)

Is it bad of me to wish someone would make a short sci-fi movie based on the Curiosity Rover where you discover the samples its picking up is intelligent life and they now think humanity is seriously sociopathic and they've just picked up an ideal means of payback thanks to a television program broadcasted several decades ago called Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons...
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2012-12-03 at 03:18 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

What I would really like to see is a tv show/game/story/thingy that involves some sort of fantasy-ish setting, but one on an alien world and completely devoid of humans. No humans, at all; not from space, in the past, in the future, just none at all, and let the fantasy alien world speak for itself. (It would probably not be able to be a live-action thing due to budgetary constriants...)

(To be fair, MLP is actually a reasonable spitting distance of that idea, but isn't quite an alien enough setting (though it's far and away beyond most). But it is also proof of the fact I've known for years; you don't NEED humans to tell a story, especially as a "relatable" reference point; a good character is a good character, regardless of species. (And I'm also not suggesting the aliens be so alien as to be incomprehensible; perhaps seeming a bit "foreign" sometimes, yes, but not completely impenetrable.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post

Now, I know what you're thinking: doesn't that already exist? Nope, it doesn't. Because I said "a good show."
    Yeah. We don't have any good "gamer" shows on television. The only gaming related thing that is good to watch is "The Guild". And it is on the internet!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Long list!

First of all I want Knights Of Badassdom to actually be relased in theatres.

Second... NO MORE ZOMBIES!!! EVER!!!

Third: The Dresden files... was co-written and approved by Butcher, and still was not good. HBO would not make a difference. I want instead a full movie series based on the Furies Of Calderon series. One movie per book.

Fourth: I want Chuck Lorre to pull Big Bang Theory back to where it used to be, about a group of nerds doing nerdy things. The last 2 seasons have been focused too much on the girls, and even when the guys are in focus it is too much about girls, about relationships and normal things. Chuck said back in season 1 that if he could write the same story in any other sitcom, they shouldn't do it on Big Bang because that is not what the show is about. And yet many of the storylines now could just as well have taken place on 2½ men or Mike & Molly.

Fifth: A well made and well funded TV series based on the Discworld books.

Sixth: A well made and well funded Mass Effect TV series.

Seventh: A documentary series about the 30 year war, filmed on location in all countries and narrated from everybody's perspective (sort of the really good documentary about Calippoli where one British and one Turkish narrator shifted perspective back and forth, but maybe 10-12 parts, 1 hour shows, with Polish, Austrian, French, Swedish, Danish etc etc narrators).

...I'll be back with more. Soon.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Fifth: A well made and well funded TV series based on the Discworld books.
    We may be getting that, as apparently, the BBC are doing a Discworld series (The Watch (AKA CSI:Ankh-Morpork), based on...the obvious, apparently picking up the story after the books left off, and is co-written by Rhianna Pratchett.

So one feels that is probably at least starting off from pretty much the best standpoint it could get, so I'm very hopeful (especially as the Watch are my favourites.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    (To be fair, MLP is actually a reasonable spitting distance of that idea, but isn't quite an alien enough setting (though it's far and away beyond most). But it is also proof of the fact I've known for years; you don't NEED humans to tell a story, especially as a "relatable" reference point; a good character is a good character, regardless of species.
    I agree! Having a no-human cast would work perfectly well as long as you have compelling three-dimensional characters for people to relate to.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Whelp, might as well repost these two "things I wanna see" from the B-Movie thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    Also, as a bit of an aside, I had this concept for a "sexy" B-movie about two outcast high school students transforming into bizarre yet attractive monster forms (The girl's form being more demon-like and the guy's form being more arthropodlike) due to the influence of another dimension in sort of a weird yet sweet love story, as sort of a /d/-inspired anti-Twilight, and I was wondering if anybody would ever want to see that movie made? It'd be a better/less horrible way to combine sex and weird monsters than, say, sexual assault by a giant maggot* that's for sure.

And, to put us back on topic, anybody heard of Rocky Horror Shows His Heels? It was supposed to be the real sequel to Rocky Horror Picture Show, but was cancelled due to several factors.

I mention this because all of its songs were cannibalized for the eventual pseudo-sequel/"Not a sequel but an equal"** film "Shock Treatment", so if one were a good enough playwright, one could use the plot summary and Shock Treatment songs to reconstruct Rocky Horror Shows His Heels for the Stage. I've planned to do this myself someday, the keyword being "someday.

*There actually is a B-movie where that happens, supposedly to add sex to the film at Roger Corman's insistence. Bonus points if you can name the film.
    **Which is a blatant lie by the way, but enough said
    And, I almost forgot to mention the main villain of the "Sexy B/(/d/)-Movie" is a corrupt high-up at the CIA who is hunting our lovers and his high-ranking agent flunky who'd presumably be played by the film's "requisite c-list star."

Said flunky would be so obsessed with coffee that he actually injects himself with it (At one point injecting it straight into his eye), have a relatively sympathetic backstory as to why he's doing this involving android love, and eventually making a Heel-face turn at the film's climax.

Also, for another movie I'd like to see: Guilliermo Del Toro's Inhumanoids. Make it happen Hasbro!

And speaking of toys, since a lot of feminists complain about women-targeted media not helping to get women into science, I'd love to see a toyline that's essentially "Space Opera Barbie"

The character would be a Star-Trek like officer (Allowing for both social and action-related play), and the Sci-fi would be relatively hard, with each figure, playset, vehicle or outfit coming with a book that explains their role in-setting and the real-life science they're extrapolating from to make it work.

The aliens would be non-humanoid, but look like more of a "cute" kind of weird than a "monstrous" kind of weird. The required "weird-looking humanoids" role would be filled by various transhuman and cyborg characters.

Hey, I'd buy it, and I'm a guy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well you could have a movie based on the Honey Switchblade but even if I got the name right it would be so inherently awesome that it could never be done!

Seriously check it out!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post

Justice? Not really. Murphy would be naked in every other episode.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    Good acting, clever dialog, interesting stories.
    Everything that is expensive, carters to narrowed down segments of the potential audience, requires a long-term financial commitment, and involves uncertainty about longterm profits.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

24. - Top - End - #24
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The survival, nay, flourishing of scripted television under the continous onslaught of nonscripted television
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I can't think of any space operas or far-future science fiction on television anymore, with the possible exception of Doctor Who and the Star Wars animations. I'd like to see a new IP, something with depth and an intriguing plot sufficient to capture my interest, like BSG or Stargate: Universe.

I'd wish there was a television channel which is nothing but Youtube videos of adorable animals, preferably cats.

I'd like to see a television series premised on first contact between humans and aliens which doesn't devolve into a malevolent invasion story -- but genuinely deals with the repercussions of discovering and interacting with technically advanced extra-terrestrials across the world. None of that benevolent saviour nonsense either.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2012-12-04 at 01:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Justice? Not really. Murphy would be naked in every other episode.
    How about Lara? And the Fairy queens? And...

Hmmm I might have to vote in favor for this one after all.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-12-06 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    What upcoming Amazon show?

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Seventh: A documentary series about the 30 year war, filmed on location in all countries and narrated from everybody's perspective (sort of the really good documentary about Calippoli where one British and one Turkish narrator shifted perspective back and forth, but maybe 10-12 parts, 1 hour shows, with Polish, Austrian, French, Swedish, Danish etc etc narrators).
    This sounds very interesting would be interesting to see how each side viewed the same conflict.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-12-06 at 09:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    This sounds very interesting would be interesting to see how each side viewed the same conflict.
    My point exactly. I can really recommend the documenatary about Calippoli I mentioned above, btw. I don't remember what it was called, unfortunately.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    What upcoming Amazon show?
    They've been trying to get a Wonder Woman show off the ground for a while now. While the one before that was kinda crap as well, this is hardly better.
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.