New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Quest for Camelot. I only know this 'cause of the Nostalgia Critic review of it, never actually seen it.
    HUZZAH!
    Thank you for responding so quickly.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

I vaguely remember one about time travel, with characters from either Sesame
    Street
    or The Muppets. I think it was in 3d, but I'm not sure. If it was 3d, it was not the current 3d phase. It might have been the one started by Spy Kids 3d: game over, but I think it was older than that, too.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's one: It was quite possibly the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Two boys roll a bowling ball down the street. A man gets driven off the road in his car by the bowling ball and killed.

Other things about the movie are more vague. Kid's dad left them or died, mom is kind of screwed up and paranoid, kid's friend's mom won't let them play together.

The whole movie is one heartwrenching thing after another.

Anyone know what it's called? Google has been unsuccessful.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    Here's one: It was quite possibly the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Two boys roll a bowling ball down the street. A man gets driven off the road in his car by the bowling ball and killed.

Other things about the movie are more vague. Kid's dad left them or died, mom is kind of screwed up and paranoid, kid's friend's mom won't let them play together.

The whole movie is one heartwrenching thing after another.

Anyone know what it's called? Google has been unsuccessful.
    Could it have been Accidents Happen?
    And so, my children, the time has come to close the book. There will be other days and other stories, but this tale is finished.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hexalan View Post
    Could it have been Accidents Happen?
    That's the one! Thank you!
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    That's the one! Thank you!
    I helped.
    And so, my children, the time has come to close the book. There will be other days and other stories, but this tale is finished.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    There was this cartoon, probably a Japanese anime, I'd say from the '90s (or maybe '80s, but it's unlikely).

It was about a modern day boy who was secretly a ninja.
    He dressed in a "stereotypical" black or dark blue ninja suit.

Then he met this girl and somehow ended up revealing his secret to her (or maybe she accidentally found out?). And then she insisted wanting to follow him on his... uhmm... ninja adventures. So the boy gives her another ninja suit, but this one is pink instead (he said it used to belong to his mother).

And then they climb a wall or something. Maybe at one point she falls, or maybe I'm confusing that scene with something else.
    So... nobody?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Not enough information.

There are 46 possible hits on Wikipedia alone and there are definitely more that aren't listed.

Things like what language you saw it in, where you saw it, animation style (realistic, cartoony, etc), story style (adventure, comedic, etc) would all help.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Not enough information.

There are 46 possible hits on Wikipedia alone and there are definitely more that aren't listed.

Things like what language you saw it in, where you saw it, animation style (realistic, cartoony, etc), story style (adventure, comedic, etc) would all help.
    It was dubbed in Italian, so I doubt that's of any use.
    I'm 99% sure that it was an anime, though. No "deformed" characters, no sweat drops or little black clouds over people's head, though.
    The animation style was very realistic (for a '80/early '90 style), as far as I can recall. The characters were quite slender and "anatomically correct".

I only saw one episode, so I can't tell you the style of the story. There was a little bit of "awkward Japanese comedy", and I guess implied romance between these two characters, but at the same time, it was presented as an adventure story.

And a pink ninja girl. I'm pretty sure if there's a pink ninja girl, it's gotta be that one.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

It was dubbed in Italian, so I doubt that's of any use.
    Actually it does. The age of the show combined with the language indicates it was probably picked up for syndication, which means it's a series rather than a OAV.

That narrows the number of possible anime series down as it has to be at least 13 episodes long (anything shorter than that is regarded as an OAV).

I'm 99% sure that it was an anime, though. No "deformed" characters, no sweat drops or little black clouds over people's head, though.
    The animation style was very realistic (for a '80/early '90 style), as far as I can recall. The characters were quite slender and "anatomically correct".
    Which means the show isn't for young children and the target audience is older children or for young teens.

I only saw one episode, so I can't tell you the style of the story. There was a little bit of "awkward Japanese comedy", and I guess implied romance between these two characters, but at the same time, it was presented as an adventure story.
    Combined with the former indicates it's probably shonen anime.

And a pink ninja girl. I'm pretty sure if there's a pink ninja girl, it's gotta be that one.
    Hmmm, got some possible hits - do you remember when you saw the episode? Just a vague year will do.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Crow View Post
    The other one is possibly even more vague, it was about a group of mechs that transformed and combined into a spaceship or a plane I think. It was being powered by moonlight or starlight or something and one episode they were running out of the stuff and couldn't keep using their mechs. The name macross is associated with this show in my head, but none of the Super Dimension Fortress Macross spinoffs (that I could find) fit, so that might just be my memory being weird.
    Uhh, Starvengers (Getter Robo?) come to mind. They are powered by Omicron energy something gained from starlight. But those are spacecraft combined into robot.. and I don't remember any episode where they run out of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Second View Post
    2) A psycho thriller/slasher/horror film. The only scene I remember is the villain taking of the top of a guys skull and slicing off a piece of his brain which he then fries in a pan while a girl watches.
    I think remember watching this movie as kind in midnight tv but only end half. Can't remember the title either though. If it was the same movie, in it the villain bind people into chairs and the surgically cut their head open while they are very much alive and aware. Instead of anesthesia, he inject them with adrenaline. Something to do with taking something from their brains to heal the villain's wife. The girl protagonist found out but no sure if she cannot escaped from the house, under impression it was all dream, not believed or something other.

In the end, the girl protagonist is also captured and bound to the chair. The villain's son come to save the girl and it looks like he killed her father in doing so. Turn out the father is still alive and the son is working with his father. They were just playing her. The girl is back to being bound and about to operated as the film ends.

Last words of the father: 'No need to give her adrenaline. She is spirited enough already' or something like that

Last words of the son: 'I thank you on the behalf of my mother' or something like that.

The mother apparently alive but contained within somekind of glass chamber.

12. - Top - End - #282

This probably isn't enough to find anything off of, but doesn't anyone remember a movie or television show that had something akin to the Chain Chomp from the Super Mario Bros. games? I remember that the movie/show was live-action, but the chomp-like beast was rendered poorly in CGI.

I would have seen it in the early- to mid-nineties, but it could have easily been an eighties movie/show.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    — always accepting players —

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Hmmm, got some possible hits - do you remember when you saw the episode? Just a vague year will do.
    I'd say anytime between '94 and '98.
    I wouldn't put my finger on it, though.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say anytime between '94 and '98.
    I wouldn't put my finger on it, though.
    Ok, a couple of possibilities:

Flames of Recca: no sign of pink ninja girl though and possibly a bit more adventure based than you were saying.

Sasuga no Sarutobi: Has a pink ninja girl, although the art style isn't quite right.

Igano Kabamaru: right sort of setting and the characters match up, plus it was broadcast in Italy.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

Yes!
    It's definitely Igano Kabamaru.

Funny how it looked much cooler, and more mature (and more modern) in my memory.
    Just like Orion.
    Maybe it's because I was much younger when I watched it.

PS: Turns out the two characters I was talking about were not the two main characters, but rather the Beta Couple of their Love Rectangle.
    Which makes your accomplishment of finding it, solely based on my description, all the more impressive.

This guy is actually much more serious than the protagonist of the anime, who's kinda silly.

Oh, and here's the pink girl, failing at being a ninja.
    Last edited by ManuelSacha; 2013-01-10 at 01:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Which makes your accomplishment of finding it, solely based on my description, all the more impressive.
    Which is why you need to give as much info as possible.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone recall a movie (or maybe a TV series episode?) where I only ever saw the last scene: where a guy descends into a basement full of garden gnomes/dolls (basically a huge collection) and they cause him to freak out completely and transform into a gnome/doll himself. Then there was a scene where, I believe, a (bearded?) grandpa gave the gnome/doll to a little girl who was visiting his house, presumably his granddaughter?

Yeah, it sounds vague as hell, I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it possibly the garden gnome episode of the Goosebumps series?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Is it possibly the garden gnome episode of the Goosebumps series?
    I'm afraid not. It was on late night TV, and if I recall with a +18 sign on the upper left corner, so I assume it was way more disturbing and brutal. His transformation was shown on screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Oh man, I'm so happy I found this thread. I watched this movie in college (around 2002) and I NEED to see it again to see if it was as funny as I remember, or if it was the drugs...

Its a Muppet like movie, but not Jim Henson. Very unwholesome, one of the main characters I remember was a rabbit that sort of reminded me of kermit, but he had lots of unprotected sex, resulting in STDs. Pretty comical movie overall, mixture of muppets and humans.

Go GitPers Go!

*EDIT*
    Finding and writing this post made me search again, and my Google-fu was better this time

Meet the Feebles

*EDIT II*

NO WAY. This was directed by Peter Jackson, and the whole movie is on Youtube.
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2013-01-17 at 11:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

It was some sort of medieval film.
    The main bit I remember was a man is being told by a priest that if he loves a woman he should leave the town.
    The priest is then thrown onto a fire and the man leaves the town to join some bandits where they fight with swords by holding them two-handed above their heads.

Any takers?
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    It was some sort of medieval film.
    The main bit I remember was a man is being told by a priest that if he loves a woman he should leave the town.
    The priest is then thrown onto a fire and the man leaves the town to join some bandits where they fight with swords by holding them two-handed above their heads.

Any takers?
    Sounds a bit like 'Kingdom of Heaven' directed by Ridley Scott starring Orlando Bloom
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

23. - Top - End - #293
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I agree with comicshorse that it sounds like the first 10 minutes of Kingdom of Heaven. I'm only throwing my 2 cents in on this because if anyone is going to watch/re-watch the movie as a result this thread, then the Director's Cut is a significantly better and more nuanced version than the theatrical release.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but I'd like to confirm, since it has been no less than 28 years since I last saw the film.

In the movie, one of the prophets -- probably Moses -- was standing and arguing with some guy. Suddenly, there's a gigantic "bolt from the blue", raising clouds of dust around Moses, and leaving a crater/hole at his feet where the other guy was.

Am I right in guessing that this is something from the 1956 Ten Commandments?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark