New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Secret World: Any Players?

I'm curious how many people here play Secret World. I got the game, and it's a very interesting concept, but I haven't found it all that fun of a solo. Mainly because the first zone is massive and just a standard horror fare. I was thinking the game might be more fun as a social game, but nobody I know plays it.

So I gotta ask? Who is in on the Secret World?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Secret World: Any Players?

I was, until last week.

The game is quite fun both playing solo and duo, and the 5 man missions are fun, too.
    Problem is this: Once you're through the content, all there is to do is grinding the same 5-man missions over and over again, or participate in PvP, which isn't my cup of tea. And the content patches don't have enough content to justify paying for a whole month after their release.

Plus, it's gotten buggier and buggier, with 1.3 leaving me unable to play the game roughly 60% of the time.

I'll look back into it come january, when (hopefully) a bit more content'll have aggregated.

Quite a shame, I really like the setting, the tone, and the overall game. It's just the details that are abysmally implemented.

On the starter zone: yeah, it's trad horror. It'll change with the next zone, at least a bit, although the theme'll stay with you for the whole of the game.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'm subscribed, I just haven't had time to play lately.

Which faction are you playing as? (The comments from the Illuminati handler are occasionally HILARIOUS.)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Took advantage of the 5-day trial to give the game a spin. It's real cool, good combat, great atmosphere. Didn't get into any dungeons or past Kingsmouth, so there's that, but what I did see I liked a lot. The skill system is very nice, very flexible, plenty of room for variety, but I suspect it's a bit iffy when it comes to balance. I do wish using a single weapon type were a option, though.

The writing and voice-acting is fantastic. As in, talk to every NPC and go through every line they have because they are seriously excellent. The two Orochi scientists hanging out at the bridge to the north of the map? I loved those guys. Shame I don't have the money to buy the game and pay for a sub.

Which faction are you playing as? (The comments from the Illuminati handler are occasionally HILARIOUS.)
    Tried them all up to the first few Kingsmouth missions to see the differences. Illuminati are fun. Sex, Drugs and Rockefeller indeed. The handler is great, and the intro scientist was very cool too. I do feel kinda sleazy working for them at times, which is pretty neat. Templar seem strait-laced but on the level and the handler was fun to interact with. There's a pair Templar NPCs hanging around a London bar that I really liked too. The Dragon intro... um, yeah. That didn't get weird at all. And I don't really see the appeal to their Chaos Theory-laden pseudomystic stuff. I dropped my Dragon character pretty quickly. Dunno if they start making more sense down the line or something.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-10-01 at 05:51 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I do wish using a single weapon type were a option, though.
    Oh, but it is. I've been running pure fist dps up to and including the elite dungeons, and did most of the main game with almost pure fist. Just swapped one basic pistol builder and consumer in to pull mobs from a distance sometimes.

Later on the two pistol skills made place for one single blade skill, to up the crowd dps when soloing. It may not be viable for every weapon, but for me and my trusty dragon, it worked.

For those interested: My build.

The writing and voice-acting is fantastic. As in, talk to every NPC and go through every line they have because they are seriously excellent. The two Orochi scientists hanging out at the bridge to the north of the map? I loved those guys.
    That's for sure. The writing is top notch. I especially enjoyed the guardians in City of the sun god, the fifth area. Track down a video on unfair.co.uk if you want. Totally worth it.

And I don't really see the appeal to their Chaos Theory-laden pseudomystic stuff. I dropped my Dragon character pretty quickly. Dunno if they start making more sense down the line or something.
    They do. The main appeal for Dragon, IMHO, is their flavour. Seoul is nicely done, even though it's underused in game, and the "order-from-chaos" mentality fits my playstyle. Also, the WTF look on my handlers face when SPOILERS happen was totally worth putting up with all the incense burning nonsense... But then, if the flavour doesn't appeal to you, that's fine. That's why there are multiple factions.

Also, on Factions: I played Dragon with my main, and made a Templar Big Game Hunter type as my second char.

Played Illuminati during the beta, and so far, I'm loving all of them.
    Last edited by Whoracle; 2012-10-02 at 06:04 AM.