New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Diggy Games?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Diggy Games?

I have finally unlocked what intrigues me about Dwarf Fortress. It's the horizontal digging aspect. There's something I like about furnishing a little hole, and expanding the hole. Minecraft works to a certain extent, but I like the little guys in my cave. Any games in which I can dig out a mountain and put stuff (Weapons of Mass Destruction, Beds, etc...) into it?
    My Victoria 2 AAR: Nate Jackson vs. Texas (No relation to any other Nate Jacksons)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277079

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: Diggy Games?

Evil genius, dungeon keeper, and digdug?

Well you can't place anything in digdug but it's got the digging.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's a mod for Minecraft call "Evil Minions" that gives you a few guys to order around and they mine/clearcut/etc for you.

Its fun

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Gnomoria should fit the bill.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Terraria! It's almost perfect for what you're suggesting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    Evil genius, dungeon keeper, and digdug?

Well you can't place anything in digdug but it's got the digging.
    Haha, "Dig Dug" was totally my first thought on seeing the thread title, too.

<rocks it old school>
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Terraria! It's almost perfect for what you're suggesting.
    How could I forget this? You should definately try it!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

There is also Dwarfs!? Very fun game where you mine out as much as possible before your nigh inevitble death due to magma or a Lich...
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    Gnomoria should fit the bill.
    I saw this on Steam Greenlight. Looked interesting.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

There's A Game of Dwarves as well, out later this month, which fits the bill nicely even if it does do it in 3D.

Edit: Aw crap. This is out on the 23rd and AC3 is out on the 31st. This month is looking expensive on the gaming front.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-10-14 at 05:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

There's a German game that was released in English as Diggles.

It's a fun idea and quite entertaining, but it never held my attention for more than the first two or three levels. However, I always felt the very same thing about Black and White or The Sims, or 1602 AD, Civilization, and so on. Slow paced freeform economic expansion games just are not games for me.
    Could be of interest for people who like the genre, though. Not sure how the humor translates outside of Germany, I remember it feeling very German.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    There's a German game that was released in English as Diggles.

It's a fun idea and quite entertaining, but it never held my attention for more than the first two or three levels. However, I always felt the very same thing about Black and White or The Sims, or 1602 AD, Civilization, and so on. Slow paced freeform economic expansion games just are not games for me.
    Could be of interest for people who like the genre, though. Not sure how the humor translates outside of Germany, I remember it feeling very German.
    It's not the game where they later ride giant hamsters of doom while swinging lightsabers around and when you messed up one part in chapter 1 you have to redo everything because that one thing you messed up in chapter 1 was needed to further do stuff in chapter 7, isn't it?

Lemmings had a level creator if I recollect that correctly...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure about the quest bug, but the rest sounds like it could be.

Just one impression from a German Let's Play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lO5-ISgP64#t=10m43s

"This is the music of the Peacers. The Peacers are... well, ... you can see it."

- "Not that you start thinking we're consuming drugs. That's impossible. Because of the age rating. Just a smoke sacrifice for great Odin. [...] Our gate guards were abducted by trolls. We would rescue them ourselves, but we're currently....... **puff*......... 'indisposed'."
    - "Okay.... Sounds... "cool".

It's rate Age 12 in Germany.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Terraria and Game of Dwarves sound awesome! Thanks guys!
    My Victoria 2 AAR: Nate Jackson vs. Texas (No relation to any other Nate Jacksons)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277079

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

This is probably a bit late and there's not much time left on the Kickstarter, but Timber and Stone looks promising.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    This is probably a bit late and there's not much time left on the Kickstarter, but Timber and Stone looks promising.
    It does indeed. I am intrigued as well.

(But how do you actually read the stuff in the QnA section? Clicking on the questions does jack for me. )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    (But how do you actually read the stuff in the QnA section? Clicking on the questions does jack for me. )
    It might be something on your end - works fine for me (the answers show after I click on a question).

The FAQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will there be any plans for Multiplayer or Online play?
    My focus until the full version is released will be sandbox singleplayer, with the goal to provide a city building game rivaling roguelikes in terms of difficulty and randomization. Having said that, I have put a little thought into competive multiplayer modes. At the least being able to visit and wage war against your friend's kingdoms.
    But this will be far down the road, and single player will always remain the priority.

Will Timber and Stone come to Mac?
    Yes, Mac versions will be released shortly after Windows releases.

Are you working on this game alone?
    I am. 3-4 hours a day, everyday. The hope, as with every indie developer on kickstarter, is to turn this into 16 hours a day.

Any plans to let players access the current alpha versions?
    As much as I would love to get advertising by letting YouTubers play the game as-is, it's just not possible in it's current state.
    There is still A LOT to do and fix, and it's far too easy to break the game right now.

I'm a composer, would you please take a look at my website?
    I'm not ignoring these e-mails, and I have listened to all the work I been given so far. But I'm not planning to respond until after the Kickstarter has ended.

What will become of Timber and Stone if the kickstarter fails to reach funding?
    I'll be discouraged sure, but I love playing Timber and Stone too much to quit working on it. Of course this will also mean that work will continue at the same pace, and I wouldn't expect any beta releases this year, nor I'd estimate until mid-late next year. But let's try to not let that happen.

It sounds as if you have plans to keep updating the game after version 1.0, could you describe some features you'd like to add?
    -Every possible siege weapon that even DaVinci could ever concieve, and several different designs/styles of each.
    -Battle at sea, including warships, galleys, triremes and the like.
    -Biomes with new tree types, deserts, swamps, plains, and snowy mountains. Each having varying difficulties in aquiring resources and other challenges.
    -A variety of playable races, meaning you can choose at startup if you'd like to create a Goblin Camp, a Viking Village, an Undead Swap Fortress, or the current Human Kingdom.
    -It'll also take me a while to run out of plans to add new building materials, craftables, and enemy types.