New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A problem with keeping the group together

Just so I'm clear, the majority of PCs are setting up the guild and will be the driving force behind Guild activities both in- and out-of-character, right?

Assuming the players still want to play together and with the monk, there is no issue here. Why? Because the PCs are the Guild leadership. If they allow guild resources (not party resources, mind you...which should already be shared freely with the Monk) to be expended on "consultants" with their approval, that is perfectly normal, reasonable and allowable.

Tons of companies use outside "consultants" or contractors...heck, even FotB (Friends of the Boss) regularly - not only that, they often receive greatly enhanced pay and benefits as compared to regular employees with similar duties or qualifications.

Now, you might decide that this might encourage some eventual dissent in the guild ranks (which could make for a swell story), or be used by some outside force to attempt to "get" the PCs. You might decide that the Guild PCs might receive some reward that the Monk doesn't receive (titles, favors, etc).

No extra quests or external motivations are necessary assuming the PCs wish to continue forward together...whatever kept them together before keeps them together now (or simply the bonds of trust and mutual respect if nothing else).

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: A problem with keeping the group together

Quote Originally Posted by _Zoot_ View Post
    -As to the loyalty of the player, that's where I'm having problems. I very much like the way you put it, it doesn't make sense to me, or the rest of the group.
    While it doesn't make sense to you, what are his arguements? It may be as you said though and that he's just looking for a way to not be part of the guild house. If that's the case, is it possible to do some/most of the guild house stuff away from the table, like though email or setup a free forum? That way, it won't impact the monk's play time, but the PCs who are working on the guild house get to see the rewards.

Does he have a reason for only being loyal to one thing at a time? I mean, I can understand if he puts the monastic order at the top of his loyalties -- for instance, if both the Guild House and Monastic House are under attack at the same time and he opts to help at the Monastic House, I don't see a problem with it.

I mean, in game, isn't his monk loyal to his monk's family, monastic order, diety (if seperate from the monastic order), country, adventuring party and friends?